PDA

View Full Version : What do you do first when you come here?

dazedgonebye
07-10-2008, 13:19
What's the first thing you check when you come to RFF?

pesphoto
07-10-2008, 13:40
I scoll to the bottom to see the latest for sale items...then go right into the forum.

back alley
07-10-2008, 13:46
as a mod...

i check out the new posts and look for titles that might be troublesome
then i head to the classifieds to check on the comments about prices etc.
and then to the gallery
and then back to the forum new posts to read and try to enjoy myself.

joe

SolaresLarrave
07-10-2008, 14:29
Since I bookmarked the home page, I check the topics first, pick the one with less replies and decide whether to participate or not. Then, and only after "chatting" a bit, check out the classifieds.

There was a time, long gone, when I scrolled down to the ads. I no longer do that for mental health reasons. :)

nikon_sam
07-10-2008, 14:34
First, I check all my recent posts to see if anyone has used them as a "Quote" and have praised my great advice...then off to the gallery to check my "Views" numbers and comments...then it's off to see who needs more of my great advice/problem solving insight...later it's back to the Recent Post and it all starts again...I could be here for hours if you guys continue with your "Issues/Problems/Dilemas"...

MickH
07-10-2008, 14:38
I go straight to the Gallery, there's some great stuff there guys, you ought to take a look some time. :rolleyes:

Matthew Allen
07-10-2008, 15:23
I have a link to RFF classifieds on my bookmarks toolbar. It's not even in a folder - how sad is that? When I'm done torturing myself over nice things I don't own, I hit 'New Posts' and do the forum thing.

Matthew

Keith
07-10-2008, 16:46
My desktop short cut takes me straight to the gallery where I have a quick look ... then go to the main page and check the classifieds in case some one is selling an original black paint M3 for $500.00 :p

gb hill
07-10-2008, 16:56
First I check the forums in the new post. Read through those that strike my fancy. Then I go to the classifieds to check out on the deals I missed out on. Then over to the gallery. Really good work over there.

Rigby
07-10-2008, 18:12
I click the 'new posts' button and view the topics that I think will be interesting. :)

Keith
07-10-2008, 19:07
I was going to say ... find one of Ned's (NB23) threads and see who he's insulted lately.

Can't do that any more unfortunately! :p

jan normandale
07-10-2008, 20:48
I go to my control panel and see active threads I'm in then check other threads. Comment on the Gallery then wince at the classifieds. Then on to flickr.

pvdhaar
07-10-2008, 21:50
First things first.. I fill out all the polls.. ;D

2XLX2
07-10-2008, 22:54
classifieds, first thing in the morning, with my coffee; though i'm unlikely to buy anything ever, dont have the dough. thank god!

before going to bed check out the gallery along with 'photos from my contacts' in flickr. skip this late night step if i'm too tired. try to make up in the weekend

going out to shoot? sorry, no time for that :(

dmr
07-10-2008, 23:25
I don't necessarily "need a little gear talk" but the forum is on a set of tabs bookmarked for message boards I check daily or often more frequently.

I do the gallery when I have a few minutes -- or several minutes -- to sit back and enjoy it.

35mmdelux
07-10-2008, 23:39
I look for interesting shorter posts since I do not have time for lengthy reads. I usually do not get involved in multiple paged posts believing the question or comment has been adequately covered.

parasko
07-10-2008, 23:41
I check to see whether anyone has posted images of attractive naked women..and then when nobody has...drool over images posted of brick walls, showing lens sharpness.

David Murphy
07-11-2008, 01:59
classifieds then recent posts. If I'm bored with all that I go to the gallery.

sweathog
07-11-2008, 02:25
I check my CP. My RFF bookmark takes me straight to my CP, then once anything there's been checked out I head off to the frontpage to see if there're any intersting threads, then I haev a quick snoop at the classifieds.

Axel100
07-11-2008, 02:49
My first checkpoint is the forum and the list of recent posts and themes.
Gear talk is mostly a bit boring for me so i voted for the gallery. The gallery is usually my second point of interest.
If there were a knob for "forums - interesting photographic themes" i had hit this ;)

Regards, Axel

kuvvy
07-11-2008, 11:29
Straight to the classifieds to drool over the goodies. Have just placed my first ad there today. Then usually to the forum to check what threads are of interest.

cjm
07-11-2008, 12:46
First classifieds, then recent posts.

Papa Smurf
07-11-2008, 13:14
Whenever I come to his forum, I do so for the gear talk. Even though the galleries are very nice, they ultimately bring on a sever case of depression. My images seldom look anything like I remembered the scene and never tell the story that I had intended. While, I admire the many excellent photographers on this site as well as on the Contax users site, it has become increasingly disappointing for me to view their work. After so many years of reading books by great Photographers and studying their pictures I have learned all most nothing. Or at least nothing that has improved the quality of my images. When it comes to technical information, I am a storehouse of data, but information that never seems to translate into better images.:bang:

A recent thread about if talent was acquired or a gift was very appropriate to my situation. I do hope to be allowed to remain here to read and observe as the information brings to me new joy each day. I have just purchased a Kiev off e-bay to force me to think about each picture before I snap the shutter (back to my photographic roots when I stated with an Argus "Matchmatic" back in the summer of 1960). So, you see, giving up is not and option. Maybe, just maybe, I will take one or two good images before my hands become too shaky to hold a camera!

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first!

dazedgonebye
07-11-2008, 13:16
I’ve actually noticed my own choice on this matter has changed over time.
For the longest time, I hit the classifieds right away, often visiting JUST to see what was up for sale.
Finally, after several gear switches, I seemed to have settled down to seeing the forums first. I’m now making more of an effort to visit the galleries and am seldom disappointed.

Morca007
07-11-2008, 19:35
I open "New posts" in one tab and the classifieds in another.

newspaperguy
08-03-2008, 10:42
I mis-spoke - checked forums, when the truth is the 1st thing I check is PM....
then it's off to the forums.

raid
08-03-2008, 11:31
I first check the gallery. Then I go over the most recent threads.

mich8261
10-30-2008, 15:10
I answered Forums, but really what I do is look at the recent posts and read the ones that interest me. I don't spend enough time in the galleries. I could learn plenty from hanging out there.

John Lawrence
12-10-2008, 10:36
Forums first to see what's been posted. Then have a general look around.

ClaremontPhoto
12-10-2008, 10:42
Forums first, than FrankG's place to see what silliness I missed.

MickH
12-10-2008, 11:12
FrankG's place?

ClaremontPhoto
12-10-2008, 11:44
It's called ********.com, but that word is banned here so look for it, without the spaces obviously, and see the equivalent of the British magazine Private Eye.

MickH
12-10-2008, 14:45
What a wheeze!

ClaremontPhoto
12-11-2008, 03:05
He's as crazy as a frog.

But one of the good guys too.

Al Kaplan
12-26-2008, 15:47
Yeah, Frank is good people! He got kicked off P-net before I did...LOL

Dogman
01-08-2009, 12:01
I go to Bill Pierce's "expert" forums.

I learned a lot reading his columns in Camera 35 about a hundred years ago and I still find his insight valuable.

From there I just scan the general topics in the unified forums.

Gary E
01-08-2009, 20:08
Right to the forums. Too much experience here that's not available with a Leica purchase. :rolleyes:

Besides, gear is gear, we all have more than we need, but hey GAS hits everyone once in a while. :p

Al Kaplan
01-09-2009, 05:12
Dogman, it wasn't a hundred years ago that you read Bill's columns in Camera 35, but almost. Does anybody know when they stopped publishing Camera 35? He wrote a great column then and he still does.

Peter^
07-31-2011, 15:09
I check to see if there are any responses to the images I've posted.

Does that sound totally ego-centrical?