PDA

View Full Version : RC film advance problem

yongtze
07-08-2008, 05:01
Hi there, just recently bought an olympus 35 RC from ebay and love the photos from it.

All the functions are fine but the film won't advance after about 22-24 exposures on a 36-exposure film. I tried to pull the film advance lever it turns but the film doesn't advance, causing double/multiple exposure..

I've tried two rolls of film and the same problem happened. Any one has any idea? Is it because the film is not loaded properly or it has something to do with the camera?

Thanks very much.

zuikologist
07-08-2008, 06:44
I've not heard of this issue with the RC. It could be film tension is too much for the film advance after 24 exposures. I am guessing - but could this be worn wind-on mechanism?

Have you tried dry firing the camera up to 36 exposures- are there any issues beyond 24 exposures, even without film?

yongtze
07-08-2008, 23:46
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've tried a dry run without a film it's working properly even after 24 exposures with no problem.

I noticed that the film rewind knob is a bit bent so some part of it is in contact with the top plate of the camera, causing friction/resistance when it turns. Could this be the problem?

Doug
07-09-2008, 22:45
As film is wound onto the takeup spool in any 35mm camera, the circumference of a full rotation increases. Yet for the frame-to-frame spacing to remain constant, the amount of film drawn onto the spool must be the same throughout the roll. And the toothed film-advance cogs ensure that. So there's a slip-clutch built into the takeup spool drive so it can slip a bit as the film wraps thicker on the spool.

If this clutch has insufficient friction, it will cause the film to wrap more loosely on the spool, and at some point the film simply jams in the takeup spool chamber. This might be what's happening with your 35RC...

I have a camera with this same ailment, and it typically jams at around 30 exposures. In my camera, this is not fixable without new parts, and those are unobtainable. An experienced Olympus repair tech could tell you if it's possible to adjust your spool clutch. My solution? Shoot 24-exposure film!

Russ
03-12-2018, 05:38
My Oly RC has developed this problem. How have you all rectified it?

Thanks
Russ

Rob-F
03-12-2018, 06:47
Just shoot 24 exposure rolls. :D

Russ
03-15-2018, 20:48
Thanks. I hate short (24 exposure) rolls.

Russ