PDA

View Full Version : Forcing XA shutter to stay open

Dave Krueger
06-21-2008, 10:46
Anyone know of a way to force the shutter on an XA to stay open so I can do some rangefinder calibration checks? Somewhere I read that pushing the shutter button when the battery test is activated can run down the battery resulting in the shutter staying open until you replace the battery. So, my theory is that maybe there's a way of opening the shutter in a darkish room and then popping out the battery while the shutter is still open. Obviously, I would have to be quick, but I think it could be done in the ten seconds the shutter is open.

Anyone ever try this? Is there a better way? Am I a drain on the collective IQ of the human race who should be loaded onto a rocket and launched directly at the sun?

btgc
06-29-2008, 04:23
I remember reading that while shutter opens, it has to be kept opened by toothpick or like that. Imagine that hassle.....Have never tried, though.

Dave Krueger
06-29-2008, 05:26
Thanks, but I would be afraid of damaging the shutter. I'm to much of a klutz to risk it. I will probably try he battery thing.

btgc
06-29-2008, 06:06
In any case it will be interesting to hear how you will do this. First I thought that shutter is kept in closed position by spring and solenoid just keeps it open, but then I realized that I'm wrong - XA series have completely electrically driven shutter, so this trick could work.

Wish you success.