PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Olympus RC

RFOBD
06-11-2008, 10:36
Hey all,

I got an Olympus RC a while ago and installed some hearing aid batteries in it with a wad of tinfoil to take up space, but it appears that the meter is dead. I know the first thing to check for is to see if the battery connection is corroded. The inside of the battery container looks fine, but, when I tried to take off the battery contact, I found that the screw holding it in was completely stripped. I've taken off the baseplate but don't see any way to to help get that screw out to see what's going on.

I don't have a soldering iron currently, so I'm trying to be careful about this. The shutter speeds work fine, so I don't want to mess it up too much since I can currently use the camera meterless.

I know that there is a repairman near me who services Olympus cameras (people on this forum reference him for Olympus repair), but I believe his asking price is around $80, a bit too much for me considering I can buy a working one for that price.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks!

-Christopher

ColinW
06-11-2008, 13:10
Christopher,

You can try this for starters:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-134.html

It'll give a few tips on stripping it down if needs be. If it doesn't work you could always try it on manual, sunny 16, etc. It's worth sorting though, as it's a cracking camera.

RFOBD
06-11-2008, 14:26
Thanks for the link. It will be very useful if I start really taking this guy apart. It sure is a nice camera, so I'm hoping to make it fully operational!

Any other help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

RFOBD
06-11-2008, 18:34
Shameless bump for the night crowd. Thanks!

radiocemetery
06-11-2008, 18:49
Hi Christopher,

Take a look at a thread titled "35RC disassembly". Rob Scumaci is the original poster and has provided some great pictures of the process. The battery tray issue is discussed also.

That thread is here in the Olympus RF forum. Check it out. I'm sure it will help you.

Steve

jesse1dog
06-12-2008, 03:09
Hi Christopher
I've read and re-read your first post and am a bitl concerned.
What is the wad of tinfoil going?
My RC works with just one hearing aid battery that has a rubber O-ring round it to make up for its smaller diameter.
So are we talking about a 35RC or a 35EC/ECR?

jesse

RFOBD
06-12-2008, 06:50
It's a 35RC. The tinfoil is because the hearing aid battery doesn't quite reach to both ends of the battery compartment so I had to have something conductive in between. I apologize for being confusing...only one battery was installed at a time. I also had a little cardboard circle around the battery to make it fit more snuggly. I will try to work out a better solution before I proceed to take the camera apart.

RFOBD
06-12-2008, 06:56
Thank you for pointing out the 35RC Disassembly thread. I'll be sure to read it through soon!

RFOBD
06-12-2008, 07:24
I tried it without tinfoil. Just some thing cardstock wrapped around the battery compartment.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/2573289586_1b2780d3fb.jpg

This is after I tested the camera and opened it back up, so I know that the battery didn't move around, but still no luck with the meter.

RFOBD
06-12-2008, 18:47
Any advice on how to take the battery compartment out? I read that it is just held in with some pegs and glue, yet, I can't seem to find a way to get it out without risk of damaging the compartment (and, in fact, I lost a small chip off the compartment by being a little too forceful).

btgc
06-12-2008, 20:06
Just move it forth-back, right-left controlling force not to break it completely :) Once it starts to move, gently pull it out. This technology, I mean how battery tray is fastened to camera, blew me away. What a hell they did - saved on one or two small screws or worked around
impossible task to pack another passenger into jet fighter?

I just checked - right, there's no much extra space - Oly's developers went for single-use tech because they didn't want to go over budget, implementing better way to keep battery tray in place.

RFOBD
06-13-2008, 06:57
I ran a test of sorts. I hooked an alligator clip wire to the metal at the bottom of the battery compartment and then the other end to the negative side of the battery. Then I held a wire on the positive side of the battery and touched that to the connection to the meter. I did not see the meter needle move at all when I did this.

To make sure that my little wiring system was working, I attached the wires to the end of a voltmeter instead of the camera and I got a reading from the voltmeter.

Any idea what this might mean? Or does it still leave everything up in the air.

I've been trying to wiggle this compartment loose for a while, but it seems to be a stubborn one.

RFOBD
06-14-2008, 08:33
I also notice that when I have the camera set to f/2.8 or f/4, the aperture blades open relatively slowly (noticeable on Bulb mode). I would assume that this means the mechanism between the lens and the battery compartment needs some sort of lubrication. I can see that it moves relatively slowly to its maximum position when I release the shutter with the aperture set at f/2.8 or f/4. However, I don't know what kind of lubricant to use or how to apply it. Suggestions?

RobScumaci
07-02-2008, 09:36
My recollection is that it is indeed difficult to get the battery compartment out. I damaged mine as well, a little chip on the side, but its only cosmetic. Persistent wiggling and then some slight pull from some pliers - GENTLY - might eventually get it out.

rpinchbeck
07-03-2008, 19:50
This thread reminded that I needed to post my Oly RC dismantle sequence to the Kiev Survival Site. Should be up in about 10 minutes.

Cheers,

Russ Pinchbeck

RobScumaci
07-13-2008, 18:48
Hey Russ, I want to see your pics. Any reason they aren't coming up in Safari for me?

ZeMane
07-13-2008, 23:52
Hey Russ, I want to see your pics. Any reason they aren't coming up in Safari for me?

Rob, is not a matter of your Safari browser. Actually I have also tried Mozilla 3 and IExplorer... I'm afraid Russ should check what's going wrong on that page.

Regards,

rpinchbeck
07-16-2008, 15:24

I'm having a hell of a time trying to upload this section for the Oly RC. I keep getting server time outs and the upload bombs. I've had some trouble with my provider and have had my DSL router changed out a couple days ago. Things look more consistent, I'll try uploading the Oly RC stuff later tonight.

Cheers,

Russ

rpinchbeck
07-17-2008, 22:33
What ever the reason, I had to use a newer version of Frontpage to publish to my web site. But, in the end I got the Oly RC stuff up there and ready for everyone to enjoy.

Go nuts!

Russ Pinchbeck

rpinchbeck
07-17-2008, 22:35
Oops, forgot the link to the Oly RC stuff.
http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/Oly_RC.html

ZeMane
07-17-2008, 23:07
Oops, forgot the link to the Oly RC stuff.
http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/Oly_RC.html

Now I can see the pics!! Impressive job Russ!!!! Thanks from sharing it!!!

regards,

RobScumaci
07-21-2008, 11:48
Thanks! Awesome.

radiocemetery
07-21-2008, 17:27
Bravo Russ, and brave Russ too. I didn't have to go this far with my 35RC. I still have most of a parts 35RC available if anyone needs something. So far this parts camera has contributed to the completion of 3 Olys on this forum.

Steve

rpinchbeck
07-21-2008, 20:35
After I did this RC that appears on my site, I felt so guilty because it turned out so nice, I gave it back to my friend who gave it to me in the first place. I've since got another one and it is all apart right now. I'm anxious to get the shutter back together so I can test it. I noticed a strange thing on that first RC. When shooting at 1/125sec if I select 125sec after being at some other speed then the shutter speed is near perfect. But, the second shot with 1/125 still selected the shutter will perform closer to 1/250 and stay that way until it is moved to some other speed. Strange to say the least since these are very simple shutters with not much to go wrong. Maybe that's why my friend gave it to me in the first place.

Cheers,

Russ Pinchbeck