PDA

View Full Version : An insult to Maitani

Matthew Allen
06-09-2008, 10:14
The poor man's Lomo??:bang:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-XA-RANGEFINDER-A11-FLASH-poor-mans-lomo-lca_W0QQitemZ290237369407QQihZ019QQcategoryZ15234Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em122

Matthew

xayraa33
06-09-2008, 10:21
It is hardly a Lomo

ClaremontPhoto
06-09-2008, 10:38
A travesty indeed.

That's like calling a Ferrari a poor person's Chevrolet.

The Olympus XA series is a class act.

ClaremontPhoto
06-09-2008, 10:44
Yes, Pitxu: He is that desperate for £0.99 to go on holiday.

Holiday to the end of town maybe?

I don't Adam and Eve it.

xayraa33
06-09-2008, 11:18
Yes, Pitxu: He is that desperate for 0.99 to go on holiday.

Holiday to the end of town maybe?

I don't Adam and Eve it.

LOL, ahaaaha !!

Rick Waldroup
06-09-2008, 11:22
Also, I love the lame excuses some people use for selling :

"I love this camera, the only reason I'm selling is because I am in desperate need of funds for my holiday. I will be looking to buy another of these cameras as soon as I can."

I laughed my ass off when I read that. What a twit.

petronius
06-09-2008, 11:36
No, he is selling his poor man´s lomo and will shoot the holidays with his poor man´s Leica! (These dumb camera comparisons make me sick!)

btgc
06-09-2008, 21:27
railway express = poor man's space shuttle
bottled cider = poor man's dom perignon

best excuse for selling camera I have ever seen is like "wife left me with my best friend leaving all her belongings and only thing I want is asap sell her cameras" :)

It's genre itself - enjoy it while spending time going through auctions. I've seen auctions from seller Gooeyeduck telling expanded story of his Pa or Da, fishing salmon and so on. It all were on listing. I think it's modern internet art.

Spider67
06-09-2008, 23:18
A Retina IIIS was listed as a "Stuttgart Leica" and a guy selling his ex-wife´s wedding dress actually posed in it....and some people like to list things with refelecting surfaces so that ascond look will show them mirrored naked while making the pic.
But poor ma´s lomo actually hurt.......I´ll stick to my Moskva the poor man´s Holga....
Give him a break he wants to be schmoozed and cuddled like 60% of all e-bayers. "I would buy it again" is the health food version of "It belonged to an old lady who rearely used it"
Thanks btgc that was amusing!

btgc
06-10-2008, 00:09
As for reflections of seller, I have some story - I bought Lynx 5000 from old man, who has put his real portrait in eBay profile (I can't remember any other seller doing so). Most of photographic gear listings from him contain very detailed description how gear looks cosmetically, what works and what not, if he had tested gear with film and some pictures with backyard or sellers reflection in mirror, with note "I will send sample pictures to winner".

OK, maybe buyer doesn't want or need pictures of old man, but that's the way he keeps on; it's better if he sells on eBay earning very good feedback than buzzing over table to his wife or fighting with neighbor "why in hell are you feeding damn birds".

Do I have pics of old man? No, Lynx were clearly listed as "shutter inop." so he didn't have pics taken with this camera.

BillP
06-10-2008, 00:18
Whilst I agree with the sentiments, let's look at this the other way up.

We are not his target audience. He is punting at people who equate Lomo to young, hip, funky (or whatever the current words are). They will not have heard of the mountain let alone the optics company.

Good luck to him.

I won't be buying it ;)

Regards,

Bill

shadowfox
06-10-2008, 12:01
Ah, it warmed my heart to see the uproar on this.

Buuut, XA is cheaper than LC-A, it is "hip" in every imaginable way including hip-pocketable, it does vignette like most LC-A shots...

In a way, he's marketing savvy :p

Matthew Allen
06-10-2008, 14:46
Buuut, XA is cheaper than LC-A,

For now - if the Lomo crowd get their cross-processed claws into Olympus RFs then prices will skyrocket, which would be a shame.

I'm just a grumpy young man...

Matthew

Morca007
06-10-2008, 15:05
I can just see the feedback he'll get on this...

"This camera takes too sharp pictures. Where is my distortion and soft focus??? Would buy again. A++"