PDA

View Full Version : Changing XA seals - easy as pie!

SimonK
05-08-2008, 09:20
I just bought a light seal kit from ebay seller interslice and changed the seals on an XA2. Well, the kit costs $6 and you get all you need to change the seals on 20 cameras! But, even better, you get a very friendly e-mail from the seller with a link to his site to find the instructions for the job. Fantastic - clear, concise, simple to follow!
So, if the seals in your XA are going sticky, don't hesitate, change 'em! If I can do it - really, anybody can.

manfromh
05-09-2008, 03:27
I should be recieving a Fujica SLR soon, which will need new light seals according to the seller.

I just wanted to say thanks for pointing out this ebay seller, and I probably will order one soon.

BJ Bignell
05-09-2008, 04:15
I've also used the kits and found that the foam works well and that the included general instructions are excellent.

Muggins
05-09-2008, 06:42
Another satisfied interslice customer signing in! I've done a Trip 35 and two OM10s, and still have buckets of stuff left over.

The only caveat I'd add - do check you know exactly what is in your kit - Brain of Britain here cut his own seals for the Trip because he'd cunningly put something down on top of the pre-cut strips, hiding them... Luckily, despite my efforts, the Trip is still lightproof!

Putting the seals in is by far and away the easiest part of the job - the preparation can be a pain, though!

Adrian

Matus
02-13-2009, 04:16
I just received the XA (sooo cute) it is - my first true RF camera ever :p. It looks all nice, but the light seals have to be exchanged. I guess that to put in new ones will be easy, but the question is how to remove the old very sticky ones (their remnants). Which solvent should I use? Iy would be the first time I would be doing it so your help will be appreciated.

I also found a seal kit on eBay - is this one you talked about here? : 110348308927

thanks

SimonK
02-13-2009, 10:25
Yep, that's the one. Top kit, top bloke.
I used toothpicks to dig out most of the old seal material (soaked in zippo lighter fluid) and then q-tips soaked in lighter fluid for the adhesive and gunk stuck to the camera. Needs a bit of elbow grease and a bit of patience, but if you follow the instructions that come with the kit, really easy and a very rewarding job.