PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 35-SP Metering Issue

AzzA
03-20-2008, 01:18
Hi all, i recently acquired a wonderful Olympus SP for a terrific price. (photo here (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2284952495_abf4dc2eda_o.jpg)) Today i put in a Wein Cell battery and some film, then set off to take some photos.
I managed to shoot most of the roll without any problems at all, but there were certain times that it seemed like my light meter was possessed!
In the morning i pulled the plastic backing off the battery and let it sit for a while before putting it in the camera. When i did, i got no response from the light meter at all. The needle just sat all the way to the right doing nothing, no matter where i pointed the camera, or how many times i was pressing the spot meter button. I made sure the light meter wasnt being obstructed and basicly got a bit frustrated so i let it sit on the bench for a few minutes whilst i did something else. When i came back and looked in the viewfinder the needle appeared to be moving slightly. As i pointed the camera in different lighting conditions, the needle appeared to begin to come to life, as in it started to respond quicker and quicker until it seemed to be working perfectly, including the spot meter.
I set off for the day, camera in its case, and begun to take photos. I was shooting for about an hour then stopped for some lunch. After lunch i took the camera out and the meter wasnt responding again. I assume that it must turn off after a while when its in its case? It was quite frustrating waiting for it to come back to life again, so i took the battery out, put it back in, waited another couple of minutes, then it started working again. Took some more photos then went home.
When i was at home i was looking through the viewfinder again and it appeared to be unresponsive. Must of turned itself off again. So i leave it out of its case thinking it'll come back to life again.
Not this time though. I've had it out for about 15 minutes now and the light meter still isnt responsive. I cant figure out any real pattern as to when it decides to turn on and off, if thats what its actually doing.
Does it sound like my light meter is broken? Or just "temperamental"? OR maybe im doing somethign wrong?
I'd apprecaite any advice.
The condition of the camera itself is wonderful. Its essentially in mint condition, so it has never been dropped or tampered with, and everything else works beautifully.
Can anybody help?
cheers :)

Spyderman
03-20-2008, 02:10
Maybe some loose wire somewhere...

AzzA
03-20-2008, 15:59
hmm, you're probably right.
The thing does work, but just seems to only turn on when it feels like it.
One other thing though, if a previous user had converted the camera to use 1.5 volt batteries, do you think using a 1.35 volt battery would cause any problems like what im getting?
Can anybody reccomend any place i start looking to see if theres any wires loose etc? Should i just open the top cover and have a look?
I have another roll of film in there half used, should i use that up or remove it before i take the top cover off?
cheers

two40
03-21-2008, 16:50
hey hey

i always get a good response here http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

good luck

AzzA
03-21-2008, 17:40
Cheers mate, i just posted something up there too.
Hopefully i can get some clues as to whats happening with my camera.

two40
03-21-2008, 17:47
i've been searching around and have found your problem. it appears that camera will self destruct in 5 min. i'll dispose of it for you if you like?

btw did you see the broken SP go on Aus eBay for $25? had a missing spot button and a bad light meter. i missed the end. would have bought it for sure.

AzzA
03-21-2008, 20:44
i've been searching around and have found your problem. it appears that camera will self destruct in 5 min. i'll dispose of it for you if you like?

btw did you see the broken SP go on Aus eBay for $25? had a missing spot button and a bad light meter. i missed the end. would have bought it for sure.

Yeah i know! I had it in my watch list but forgot all about it :o

Oh and as far as self destructing... :p

elwrongo
07-11-2008, 20:48
I had my lightmeter on my 35SP repaired recently. It was showing similar symptoms, giving false readings etc. My camera tech says it wasn't giving any readings at all, the needle was just flying around loose "like a fart in a factory" as he put it. Apparently tiny springs had fallen out/worn out and he managed to replace them. Works very well now.