PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 35 ECR

cyclops
03-04-2008, 11:30
Just picked up one these. Are then any issues with under/overexposure when using 1.5v batteries ? If so is it possible to compensate with asa ?

Has anynone dismantled the lens ? looks to have a spot of dust, any advice ?

bmattock
03-04-2008, 11:45
Just picked up one these. Are then any issues with under/overexposure when using 1.5v batteries ? If so is it possible to compensate with asa ?

I don't know, but when I recently took apart an EC (I also have an ECR), I found what appears to be voltage regulator circuitry behind the battery cups inside the camera. If that is indeed what it is (and I'm no expert), then you should be good with 1.5v batteries. I've been using my ECR at the rated film speed with no problems, but that doesn't mean I'm right - I shot color print film and its latitude can cover a lot of errors.

I think you may have to try it yourself to see. Or someone who knows more about electronics than I do (nearly everyone) can look at the electronics inside.

Has anynone dismantled the lens ? looks to have a spot of dust, any advice ?

I have not had this lens apart, but I'd ignore a dust speck.

cyclops
03-05-2008, 11:28
Thanks for the advice. Found something last night that suggested putting in 2 zinc air hearing aid batteries in one compartment and scrunched up metal foil in the other. Apparently cheaper and the 1.4v of the batteries matches the old mercury ones. I'll give it a try and post the results.

cyclops
03-06-2008, 13:52
It works - just a bit of advice. Put one in each chamber (following polarity) inside rolled thin card as padding. Add tin foil on top of each cell and bingo, it works.

Any advice on what thickness of foam to use for the light seals, will it be 1.5mm throughout ?

jesse1dog
03-06-2008, 14:06
Light seals - no, not 1.5mm throughout.
Jon Goodman has some instructions for the EC and ECR cameras.
Do a check with him. (interslice)
However have a very good look where the seals are on your camera before you remove them. There seems to have been some variation over the years on the placing of the body seals. Some cameras seem to have more than others. Best to replace what there is on your particular camera.