PDA

View Full Version : Trip Problem

a4paper
03-04-2008, 06:34
I just picked up an Olympus Trip 35. I've tried pressing the shutter release button, but its always pops up with a red warning and prevents the shutter from releasing on the auto setting. On the manual settings no warning comes up and I can release the shutter, but even then the curtain doesn't seem to open. I guess the Selenium light meter is just out, I'm not sure though, would the warning even come up at all if the light meter wasn't working? It's an old Trip as well, the earlier ones with the silver shutter release. Any ideas?

julio1fer
03-08-2008, 12:27
The red marker pops up when there is not enough light for the film ISO that you have set.

Assuming that you do have enough light, it's either a mechanical problem (i.e. dirt or something bent) or the meter cell.

I had the same problem in my Pen EE-3, which has a very similar mechanism. In my case it was mechanical, easy to fix according to my repairman.

KameraKev
03-08-2008, 12:34
Try pointing at a bright light, and tripping the shutter while looking through view finder, if the warning flag doesn't pop up you are in business.
Regards,
Kevin

julio1fer
03-08-2008, 12:37
Here is a repair thread (http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/6901/2539.html) about this problem in Pen EE.

Trius
03-08-2008, 13:02
But since it's a selenium meter, if the cell is dead, so is the camera, except for flash/GN mode.

aad
03-08-2008, 13:15
If the lenscap is off and you get the red finger even under bright conditions, the meter is not responding. This is actually rare-usually they fire regardless of light, as the aperture mechanism gets sticky.