PDA

View Full Version : Choosing just one...

Photon-hunter
02-23-2008, 10:22
As I didn“t find a "general forum" I will post this in yashica, Olympus and Canon forums in hope of getting the different opinions...

If you had to choose just one of the folowing cameras to purchase AND USE in a regular basis, which one would it be, and why??:

Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Olympus 35 SP
Canonet QL17G III

???

Thanks for all the input.

E.

fishtek
02-23-2008, 10:56
They've all got fine reputations, and all will have their proponents. I've got a QL18 GIII, and like it a LOT. I'd like to get my hands on an Olympus 35SP, but they aren't all that plentiful, and seem pricey, too. The Yashica appeals to me because it is a comfortable size, has good optics, yada, yada. Some differences in the individual features might make a difference to each user, but I'm pretty happy with whatever I have in my hands at the moment (see sig list...).

Regards!
Don

Trius
02-23-2008, 11:34
As much as I love my 35SPs, I have to admit the Yashica is really fine. The negatives for me are the size and the fact that the SP has the spot meter.

The Canonet is fine, to, but it would be my 3rd choice.

ColinW
02-23-2008, 12:47
The SP. Partly, as Trius stated, because of the spot metering, the 1.7 super sharp lens and because I'm can't see past Oly's :D.

jesse1dog
02-24-2008, 02:39
All 3 cameras are on the 'bit too big' size for me - I have an Oly 35SP.
All 3 seem to be 'cult' cameras and I wonder if their prices are usually driven up by the 'want it' factor.
If you looking for a different sort of rangefinder for the fun of a change how about looking at the Oly 35RC - OK, the lens isn't as fast but do you really need 1.7/1.8/2 speed anyway? So its a cult camera too, but its a bit cheaper as well!

Just a thought!

jesse

Trius
02-24-2008, 04:43
Jesse: Good points; I find the 35SP "just right", but if one likes even smaller cameras, the RC is a good choice. The only "problems" with the RC ...

OK, the lens isn't as fast but do you really need 1.7/1.8/2 speed anyway? So its a cult camera too, but its a bit cheaper as well!

Well, I for one do. A lot of what I do is in low light, so the extra 2-2/3 stops is really needed. Add to that the lowest shutter speed of 1/15s, and the RC is just not a good tool for low light environments.

In manual mode the meter is not active, PLUS the aperture ring is a bit small and fiddly for me.

With all that said, it's a terrific camera for most other situations, with a class A lens. I have one and love it.

bmattock
02-24-2008, 04:49
Minolta Hi-Matic 9. The lens is as good as the others listed, it has manual speeds, which the GSN lacks, it has flashmatic like the GSN, and it sells for next to nothing on eBay. A trifle larger than the other three, but then, if size is the issue, the Olympus RD or RC are the answer. Just my opinion.

jesse1dog
02-24-2008, 11:11
Trius is spot on with his observation about lens speed.
But I think we are all a bit in the dark as to what your objectives are as far as buying one of your 3 listed cameras.
If ,as I first wondered, its about trying something different just for the heck of it you don't want to be fisting out wads of dollar bills. or whatever currency.

I'll go back to the Oly 35RC suggestion despite Trius's reservations. The reason is the price one. Looking at eBay they seem to be going for much less than they were 3 or 4 months ago. This afternoon I picked up what was described as a good condition one for all of £6.50 ($14). OK it had the rewind handle missing but I have a spare.

I think the point I am really making is, don't rush into buying. Do a lot of homework on prices etc. You can get some idea from/on eBay as to what prices have been reached during the last month.

Herman Abdullah
02-26-2008, 05:44
I have:-

OLY 35SP - My dad legacy, he bought it by a recommendation from a press photographer 30 years ago.

Canonet ql17 - I bought it when my 35SP above got problem with the focusing lever.

Yashica Electro 35 GSN - It was part of the option before I bought the ql17 above.
To me, it is quite big to compare with ql17, and that's the main reason why I choose the Canonet.

But, it wasn't long before I keep my Canonet and use back the fixed 'like new' 35SP.

Reason: I like the Zuiko lens !

SergioGuerra
02-26-2008, 06:24
Maybe a Olympus 35RD?

There are some currently at evil bay without the oil on shutter blades problem...

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-35-RD-40mm-f-1-7-35RD-Great-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ220204998618QQihZ012QQcategoryZ 15239QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-35RD-Best-compact-rangefinder-of-the-70s-35-RD_W0QQitemZ280204107928QQihZ018QQcategoryZ15234QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sharp optics, small size, fast lense 1.7, full manual or aperture priority...

Regards..

shadowfox
02-26-2008, 07:53
#1 Olympus 35 SP - Why?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2323/2185573469_c3bf109455.jpg

In 10 years, if I don't catalogue them, I can't tell you which pictures were taken by which camera.

The Yashica Electro is very sharp. Very good for low light, even without fully manual controls. I'd use mine more but it has a light leak.

What was the third option? ;)

Paul C. Perkins, MD
02-26-2008, 19:46
Olympus 35SP. Lens is probably the best of the three cameras originally listed.

Paul

zuikologist
03-02-2008, 02:14
Oly Sp for me also. The Yashica is too big for me. My Canonet sometimes has shutter issues. All three are excellent though and probably more than capable machines in the right hands.

zuikologist
03-02-2008, 02:19
Trius is spot on with his observation about lens speed.
But I think we are all a bit in the dark as to what your objectives are as far as buying one of your 3 listed cameras.
If ,as I first wondered, its about trying something different just for the heck of it you don't want to be fisting out wads of dollar bills. or whatever currency.

I'll go back to the Oly 35RC suggestion despite Trius's reservations. The reason is the price one. Looking at eBay they seem to be going for much less than they were 3 or 4 months ago. This afternoon I picked up what was described as a good condition one for all of £6.50 ($14). OK it had the rewind handle missing but I have a spare.

I think the point I am really making is, don't rush into buying. Do a lot of homework on prices etc. You can get some idea from/on eBay as to what prices have been reached during the last month.

Jesse - not sure why the RC is selling for less. It is undoubtedly an excellent camera. These things seem to go in cycles. I picked up a very nice RC with case, filter, cap and hood for £13. It just depends on the time, listing, tides, sunspots...