PDA

View Full Version : I did it!

tomkai
02-18-2008, 02:42
Hello!

After months of headache ("Should I?" - "Should I not?" ...) and money-counting, I finally bought an M8 via ebay last Friday. :D
The father of the guy who sold it to me, kept it in the cabinet for a year - so it's in an absolute new condition.
He brought it to me yesterday, and than I realised that I lended my only SD-Card to my father, for his vacation trip. AAARGH! :bang:
So I have to wait until today's afternoon to get me an new one and test my new baby.

Just wanted to tell someone ... Thank you for listening ...

infrequent
02-18-2008, 03:53
i am happy for you.

btw..how do folks actually finance for something like the M8? are you all filthy rich?! ; )

actually i am dead serious, because i would like to "invest" in an M8 at some point.

Hates_
02-18-2008, 03:57
Most M8 owners are crack dealers :D Congratulations on your new purchase. I'm not jealous, no really I'm not :(

pizzahut88
02-18-2008, 04:59
Hello!

After months of headache ("Should I?" - "Should I not?" ...) and money-counting, I finally bought an M8 via ebay last Friday. :D
The father of the guy who sold it to me, kept it in the cabinet for a year - so it's in an absolute new condition.
He brought it to me yesterday, and than I realised that I lended my only SD-Card to my father, for his vacation trip. AAARGH! :bang:
So I have to wait until today's afternoon to get me an new one and test my new baby.

Just wanted to tell someone ... Thank you for listening ...

Welcome,
You will have fun with it.
Now post some pics!

If you can't figure something, ask!
I got lots of help from here.

Ronald M
02-18-2008, 05:21
You don`t get money by working for other people.

Pro can at least write it off as a business expense.

A knew the largest leica dealer in the country a few decades back. He had a dentist customer a few states away who ordered every new item one at a time as they were introduced, then returned it as a used item a week later. We all knew there was some sort of tax dodge going on.

tomkai
02-18-2008, 05:27
Welcome,
You will have fun with it.
Now post some pics!

If you can't figure something, ask!
I got lots of help from here.

Thank you!
I will have fun with it (I'm sure),
I will post some pictures, as soon as I've got a new SD-card, and
I will ask (be sure :) )

Thardy
02-18-2008, 05:29
Err.. maybe because I'm italian, but I did not get you.. :-)
Rob.

Are there many "pimped out" rides in italy? :p

oscroft
02-18-2008, 05:39
I don't think you need to be super-wealthy to buy an M8 - I think it's probably attainable by a lot of people on an average-ish salary in a wealthy Western county if they really really want one. It's just a question of priorities. How much would you spend on a car? Don't buy a car - buy an M8. How much would you spend in a year on clothes, entertainment, eating out? Have a year in and wear all your old clothes (or wear nothing while at home, to save even more), and buy an M8. How much do you spend on a vacation? Give vacations a miss for a year or two and buy an M8. And so on.

Clark Van Orden
02-18-2008, 06:46
Welcome, you won't be sorry.

dannynono
02-18-2008, 06:58
My tax refund says I can afford an M8, however much my wife may disagree.

SolaresLarrave
02-18-2008, 07:43
Afford an M8? In theory, I can. In practice... I must save for a Nikon D3.

But heck, Tom, congratulations on your purchase! I know about those long, simmering decisions (should I? Shouldn't I?) because I went through some before buying my Summilux 35 (which was a bit less than half of what the M8 costs).

Rest assured: you'll get a lot of enjoyment from your camera! :)

thomasw_
02-18-2008, 08:05
Yes, Congratulations and Welcome to RFF! Look forward to seeing your posted work.

Benjamin Marks
02-18-2008, 08:12
If your experience with the M8 is like mine, you will just love this camera. The camera has allowed me all the intimacy of "Leica shooting mode", the convenience of digital and the ability to use hundreds of different lenses from over 60 years of production by Leica and non-Leica sources. Enjoy!

Ben Marks

pizzahut88
02-18-2008, 08:44
How much would you spend in a year on clothes, entertainment, eating out? Have a year in and wear all your old clothes (or wear nothing while at home, to save even more), and buy an M8. How much do you spend on a vacation? Give vacations a miss for a year or two and buy an M8. And so on.
Are you wearing nothing at home?

:p

As for the vacation . . . I totally regret last year for not buying the M8 before going.
I don't have days off till after July . . .

I am taking the M8 to Nikko - Hakone - or perhaps Osaka.

kinok1
02-18-2008, 08:47
i am happy for you.

btw..how do folks actually finance for something like the M8? are you all filthy rich?! ; )

actually i am dead serious, because i would like to "invest" in an M8 at some point.

Here's how i did it.

I looked at the amount of money I was spending on film and professional scanning...

And.

Then I realized that 5000 for a m8 was a deal.

(oh...and clients wont pay or wait for film anymore...)

sienarot
02-18-2008, 09:07
Are you wearing nothing at home?

:p

If that's the case, putting black electrical tape over "it" will give you the stealthy look :D

Ducky
02-18-2008, 09:42
Hello!

After months of headache ("Should I?" - "Should I not?" ...) and money-counting, ..

That's a problem I don't have to deal with, I know I can't afford one. :)

oscroft
02-18-2008, 09:43
If that's the case, putting black electrical tape over "it" will give you the stealthy look
It would take a lot more than a bit of black tape to make a naked me look stealthy ;)

Mike Ip
02-18-2008, 09:49
It's easy to afford an M8... just don't have kids and stay single :)

cmogi10
02-18-2008, 09:59
It would take a lot more than a bit of black tape to make a naked me look stealthy ;)

I've discovered when I go streaking most people have bigger problems then me taking there picture and don't usually notice a camera.

It makes you the ultimate stealth shooter

...:confused:

I mean, what?

Ara Ghajanian
02-19-2008, 05:52
Here's how i did it.

I looked at the amount of money I was spending on film and professional scanning...

And.

Then I realized that 5000 for a m8 was a deal.

(oh...and clients wont pay or wait for film anymore...)

That was my thinking exactly. If you factor in how much your time is worth (I'm self employed so it's worth what I charge my clients), scanning and retouch time in PS makes the purchase price seem much more reasonable.
Ara

tbarker13
02-19-2008, 06:11
Grats on the camera. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I love mine.

Personally, I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. Paying $4,800 was not easy. But over the past decade, I realized I had accumulated a fair amount of camera equipment I wasn't using - including a hasselblad kit with three lenses. By the time I'd finished selling off this "excess" inventory, I basically had the camera paid for.
And I can't really say that I miss the stuff I sold.

bottley1
02-19-2008, 06:34
I traded up my M6 TTL to finance my M8. When my wife said that the camera "looked a bit different", I said "don't question what you don't understand, dear" Problem solved! What a ******* I am....?