PDA

View Full Version : XA weird shutter issue

Kapa
02-11-2008, 04:29
Hiya... if anyone can help me on this I will REALLY appreciate it. Having had an XA2 as a backup travel camera,for a few years I was stoked a few months ago when i grabbed an XA for $20. Camera is in exellent condition with hardly
a mark on it, including the lens (minus the degraded lightseals).

The thing is... if it's too good to be true... it usually is.....The shutter fires....alright.... but only at the same speed.... I can't figure it out. Have tried both Lithium Oxided and Silver Oxide batteries and checked contacts.... The weird thing is when I attach the A11 flash, all shutter speeds (sometimes) work.....???? Has anyone got any suggestions.......? Cheers, Kapa

eia41
02-11-2008, 05:35
Check the position of your XA's aperture setting. If it is at 2.8, move it progressively to the remaining apperture positions, firing the shutter at least once in each position. Do this without the flash unit being connected. Watch the shutter value indicated in the viewfinder every time you release it. Choose an ASA ( around the lens base) of 200 or 400. Hope this may "free" the bug...
eia41

kuzano
02-11-2008, 06:39
I have an XA that works just find, but the needle indicating shutter speeds sits on one shutter speed. I can tell by the exposures that the camera is working properly, and the sound of the shutter speed changes. So, it appears that the camera meters properly but does not indicate changing shutter speeds. I have another that does have a functioning needle on shutter speeds, but it's about a stop off on the needle, yet gives good exposures.

I've had a half dozen of these XA camera's over time, and I have learned that the needle readings on the shutters are often suspect, and I can't bring myself to pay a $100 CLA on a less than $100 camera.

My belief is that the meters tend to be accurate, but the needle readings on shutter speed are not trustworthy. That noted, they remain one of the most usable pocket shooters I have owned, shooting well focused and clear images.

Trius
02-11-2008, 18:14
If the needle is "stuck" (common, as Kuzano indicates), then a CLA is in order. Use a reputable repair main; the XA is not for the faint of heart... although with a $20 price tag, you're not risking much $$. The risk is decommissioning an otherwise functional camera.

suzums
02-11-2008, 18:36
I've had the same problem with my two XAs.
The first one, I've never been able to revive. I was also suggested a CLA by fellow members on the thread. But I ended up getting a second one instead for a decent price.
Then the same thing happened on my second. I switch batteries, and made sure the battery check was in working order before I started shooting.

So I guess, double check the battery check on the bottom of the camera. If there isn't a beeping sound, that would be the reason why it is still on the same shutter speed, and a CLA might be needed.

Kapa
02-11-2008, 21:14
Thanks for all your feedback folks. I have tried all of the above and the shutter sound stays consistant no matter what aperture is set. Shutter needle in viewfinder however adjusts accordingly when you stop down and seems about accurate. I guess the problem must be some faulty internal contact, or something....? Anyone got any further ideas...? Cheers

Xing Fu
02-22-2008, 02:20
a switch near the front side of viewfinder may cause the problem. You have to open the top cover and the viewfinder set....... I think you'd better to see a camera doctor.

Xing Fu
02-22-2008, 02:55
Oh, if you can open the top cover, then you can see a spring near the front side of the rewinder, it should tightly installed. if not, reinstall it.

This is the case with high probability and easy to mend.

Kapa
02-22-2008, 23:45
Xing Fu... thanks for your feedback. Have you had this issue before and resolved it? Don't supposed you have any illustrations? I might see if I can take top cover off and have a look..... but dare say even that will be a mission :bang:

Xing Fu
02-23-2008, 03:53
I sometimes grab a XA with problems from ebay, and fix it, and give it away...... It is my hobby, just enjoy the process and result of mending.

I'm not a native speaker, so it is little bit difficult for me to describe it in detail. As I mentioned last time, it may be the simplest case and easy to fix if the spring is working improperly. Otherwise, you have to disassemble the viewfinder set etc. and check the working of the switch on main board. The switch is near the front side of the viewfinder.

I'm so sorry that I could not give you help anymore.:bang:

Trius
02-23-2008, 04:43
Kapa: If you decide to disassemble, do so in something like a dishpan or baking dish so that if anything pops out, it doesn't go into oblivion.

Edit: A repair manual for the XA is here (http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/repairmanuals.html).

Xing Fu
02-23-2008, 05:01
Kapa: Trius is right, it is realy a hard mission.