PDA

View Full Version : olympus 35rc nostalgia

darylh
01-31-2008, 16:52
Hi everyone,

I've attached an Oly 35rc brochure from way back that came with a recent camera purchase. Great old retro photos!

Daryl

radiocemetery
01-31-2008, 17:08
Thanks Daryl. I have a 35RC. It is a nice little camera. I recently bought one that came with the box, manual, lens cap, Olympus case, and UV filter. I haven't used it yet. There is quite an enthusiastic group of Oly 35xx users here.
Steve

DNN
01-31-2008, 18:24
Hi, RC is a cute camera. Mine was unfortunately wearing a very dirty cloth when I got it. So I gave a nice one for RC. The orignal black is good; I love it. But just for your reference...

By the way I asked my wife to help RC wearing this red shirt.
I respect her skill very well and I love her...seriously...:D

back alley
01-31-2008, 20:20
i love that red!!

George S.
02-01-2008, 03:10
I like how it provides "the ultimate in convenience, just set the dial to "A" and then choose the speed"

And the pic of Hawaii (?) with the hotels just being built!

charjohncarter
02-01-2008, 06:55
I like the brochure (second page) with the beach girl, to bad the guy is there. My Oly 35RC is not my favorite, but I still like it, just not best. Someone above said the meter is right on, so is mine. Last October in Santa Barbara with the Oly 35RC:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1419/1473161053_640a6e4d4c.jpg?v=0

Trius
02-01-2008, 07:08
Oh, that red is really, really beautiful! Did you get it from cameraleather.com?

John: That's a really nice photo, very well composed.

shadowfox
02-01-2008, 07:26
I can't wait until mine comes back from touring the world. It'll bring a haul of trinkets with it :D

I love the red skin.

... and the old brochure also :)

jesse1dog
02-01-2008, 08:13
This is my 'spare & repairs' 35RC on which I try out ideas, and take to pieces to see how things work.
The inspiration, if you can call it that, comes from the covering on an Olympus Trip - a covering advertising Coca-Cola.
This one is for 'Green King IPA Beer'.
I include the picture as a complement to the red covered 35RC.

Just shows what us 35RC users can get up to!

jesse

edit: disappointed how the photo came out - it looked better than that!

charjohncarter
02-01-2008, 13:53
Thanks Trius!

feenej
02-01-2008, 14:19
Jesse, how do you make/apply a cover like that? Very cool.

feenej
02-01-2008, 14:22
I have been putting film thru my 35RC at a steady rate tho it was beat, abused, meter busted etc. Someday I'll put some money into it. It's one of my favorite cameras.

Brennotdan
02-01-2008, 14:38
john, whats your favorite fixed lens rf? I like your photo too btw.

charjohncarter
02-01-2008, 15:35
My fixed favorite is Petri 7s. It is all manual (also no battery), but metering, focusing, rangefindering are all easier than the Olympus 35RC. What I don't like about the 35RC is when you focus but forget to turn on the meter you then have to re-focus. Second, if you are out of the auto-metering range the camera doesn't release. You then have to re-focus because you have to move the auto-manual ring. The rangefinder is OK, but not as good as my Petri, Agfa Optima IIs, or Konica C35. On the plus side is the meter has never failed me, when I do remember to turn on the meter the focusing ring is smooth and easy. Also a plus is you do not have to have a battery to use the camera, but that also applies to two other fixed rangfinders I have.

Light leaks are a problem with this vintage Japanese cameras so they all fail in that respect.

Herman Abdullah
02-02-2008, 02:32
hey will, u'll make other rc jealous..:-)

radiocemetery
02-02-2008, 06:37
Jesse,

That Green King is outrageous. I like it.

Superbus_
02-02-2008, 09:14
I just love these old retro photos, even I have a book with advertisements from that period.

I like the camera leathers of Jesse and DNN too! I prefer the red one because its simplicity and elegant look but Jesse's one is more individual and creative!

shadowfox
02-04-2008, 07:54
hey will, u'll make other rc jealous..:-)

Nah, I think the owners of other RC's in this forum just secretly viewing our project's thread :)

Did you look at the View count lately? those can't be just you and me, Herman. :)

ColinW
02-04-2008, 11:42
Nah, I think the owners of other RC's in this forum just secretly viewing our project's thread :)

Did you look at the View count lately? those can't be just you and me, Herman. :)

Yeah, you're right Shadowfox. I read all the threads but don't post unless I feel I'm adding to the conversation. I really enjoyed reading the brochure posted by Daryl. DNN's red RC is sooooooooooooooo sexy and Jesse's Green King is cool too. I've just got myself a 35ED so I'm off to have fun. :D

DNN
02-07-2008, 19:44
Oh, that red is really, really beautiful! Did you get it from cameraleather.com?...

Yes, I bought it from cameraleather.com. At least for RC, it is easy to put it on (though I asked my wife to do it...:p ) . In my opinion, the size is just a little smaller, maybe 1mm or less.

And thank you for the comments on the red shirt on my RC, guys.

Jesse's cover is so artistic!!

Kent
02-08-2008, 11:15
Great thread with nice infos about a fantastic cam!

jesse1dog
02-08-2008, 12:28
Hi DNN

Interesting comment about the cameraleather covering.
That's my experience too - pieces could be 1mm or so wider, but very easy to fit if you use Jon Goodman's advice to lick the adhesive before you fit. The ends that fit round the lens got that treatment from me. Doesn't strike me as being very hygenic but here I am still alive and kicking!!!! It certainly made fitting very easy.

jesse

ColinW
02-09-2008, 06:21
Has anybody tried these coverings:

http://aki-asahi.com/store/

He advertises on OhBoy and only seems to deal with Pen's, Trips and some OM's, but it's ready cut and adhesive backed.

jesse1dog
02-09-2008, 08:41
ColinW

Answer - yes.

The leather coverings are very slightly on the thick side and edges not quite straight but OK.

Aki-Asahi is quite difficult to get hold of but orders placed through the site seem to go through OK. I've been trying to contact him for over a week about a request/query but am still waiting a reply.
Last order I placed came through well and very nicely packed - not only that I got some free extra pieces.

If you want to do an Oly35RC buy 2 TRIP kits. The 2 back pieces can then be cut to fit - use the old 35RC covering as a template - new blade and steel edge. Before you fit the new pieces colour in the cut edges with a marker pen.

Hope this helps

jesse

ColinW
02-09-2008, 14:45
Thanks Jesse. It was my RC I was thinking about :)

jesse1dog
02-13-2008, 11:17
Not a 35RC but a 35ECR from the same maker.

This cover was made from the backs of 2 kits made for the Oly Trip.
Pieces were cut to size using the old covering as a template, and the cut edges coloured with a marker pen.

Hope this might be of interest to someone out there!

jesse

zuikologist
02-13-2008, 11:37
Jesse - nice job. Very cool finish.

jesse1dog
02-14-2008, 02:31
Tried getting a better upload and photo of my 35ECR so that the covering is given better justice.

j