PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have had problems with your Epson R-D1?

driggett
03-31-2005, 09:22
I would like to take a poll to see what percentage has had problems with their Epson R-D1.
Thanks,
Chris

pfogle
03-31-2005, 13:31
Chris... I'm on my fourth body, but is it a winner? Well, I'm going to stick with it, though it's really not a lot better than my first! So maybe there should be a category - 'got fed up with trying to get a winner' ;)

Anyway, it's like a marriage... I've learned to love it!

cheers
Phil

JonasYip
03-31-2005, 15:05
I said "no problems" above, though I actually do have a hot pixel. But it doesn't bother me at all, so it's not really a "problem".

Also, interestingly, when I convert with rawshooter the hot pixel pretty much disappears... and that's my default converter now unless I need one of the special features of Epson's RAW converter.

j

driggett
03-31-2005, 15:17
Thanks Jonas. I am only looking for problem reports where the problem is nearly unusable or is too much of on annoyance.
Thanks,
Chris

jlw
03-31-2005, 15:53
Chris... I'm on my fourth body, but is it a winner? Well, I'm going to stick with it, though it's really not a lot better than my first!

I think Phil has been unwittingly performing a public service for the rest of us by absorbing ALL the defective R-D 1s! Talk about a run of bad luck...

...Anyway, I'm happy to report that my official-US-import R-D 1 was fine right out of the box. I get a couple of hot pixels on ISO 1600 shots, but I've owned enough digital cameras by now (all of which have had at least a few) that I don't sweat it too much.

jlw
03-31-2005, 15:55
Maybe we should be collecting serial numbers to see if the bad ones fall into a particular range -- mine (no problems) is 0017xx.

Sean Reid
03-31-2005, 16:52
Mine is 0016xx and I've had no problems. I do sometimes have one stuck pixel in JPEG mode at ISO 1600 which I'd missed until recently because I almost never use JPEG mode. It doesn't bother me at all. Some paint has chipped off my on/off switch but that's of no consequence either.

Sean

andrewch
03-31-2005, 17:14
Mine is 12xx and I have not had any problem.

DanielT
03-31-2005, 22:35
Mine is 0021xx and I have not had any problem.

Daniel

Jim Watts
03-31-2005, 23:41
Mine is 24xx. I voted no problem as the faults were not such a big issue as to make me risk changing the camera and getting a worst example.

3 hot pixels and slight front focusing with my 35mm Cron. The later is a compatibilty problem so the R-D1 is not entirely to blame. Otherwise VERY HAPPY with the R-D1.

nf3996
04-01-2005, 00:40
My first R-D1 had an LCD screen that wouldn't work. I could take photos and load them into a PC, but I couldn't set up any camera menus nor could I check the results of my efforts on the camera itself. I'm in the UK and bought it from Ffordes, who replaced it immediately. I didn't keep the first one long enough to record the serial number, but my second one (serial #0024xx) works perfectly.

David Kieltyka
04-01-2005, 18:07
No problems here other than a hot pixel or three at ISO 1600. I've noticed, as Jonas notes above, RAW Shooter Essentials does its own form of hot pixel remapping. Not a big deal but a nice touch nonetheless. My R-D1's serial number is in the 18xx range.

-Dave-

SimonPJ
04-22-2005, 00:22
My first R-D1 (18xx) started to produce about 25% blank (black) frames after about 900 exposures. (i.e. 1 in 4 exposures was blank.)

My second R-D1 (35xx) suffered from intermittent shutter release 'freeze'. For every hour that I was shooting I was having at least a couple of occasions when I needed to switch on and off to get the shutter out of its frozen/sleeping state.

No third R-D1. I took a refund after the second one with hardware/firmware problems.

(The poll doesn't allow you to report your experience if none of your R-D1's have been problem free).

Doc William
05-07-2005, 21:08
Hey gang,
Two problems I am encountering are:
1) Typically underexposing in all situations by 1 1/2 stops. (The histogram confirms this).
2) The little red shutter speed indicator is sometimes impossible to read if there at all.
Anyone else having these problems? Should I send it back for a new one?

Cheers,
bill :bang:

Jim Watts
05-09-2005, 02:35
Hey gang,
Two problems I am encountering are:
1) Typically underexposing in all situations by 1 1/2 stops. (The histogram confirms this).
2) The little red shutter speed indicator is sometimes impossible to read if there at all.
Anyone else having these problems? Should I send it back for a new one?

Cheers,
bill :bang:
Hi Doc,
Sorry to hear of your problems.
1. I take it that you are use to centre weighted rather than matrix metering,it has to be used with some care. Any bright areas in the metering area on the R-D1 do cause under exposure.
Which lenses are you using and under what conditions? Sean has noted here and in his reviews the difference in contrast of various lenses on the R-D1 and this has been my experience also. My 35mm f/2 Cron (3rd type) is quite low contrast so in flat lighting I typically add two thirds of a stop to bring the histogram over to the right or images are under exposed. In sunlight though its fine. I'm tending to think Sean's suggestion of different contrast lenses for different light is a good idea. 11/2 stops does sound a bit much though. Try to check it against a good meter on a plain evenly lit surface. Mines within 1/2 stop of my Sekonic 308BII.

2. With my glasses on I struggle to see the shutter speeds but its O.K. with glasses off. Remember the speeds are only lit when the shutter is wound on.

Jim Watts
05-09-2005, 02:45
Doc,
I just saw the lenses you are using in your other post in the Just curious-How many R-D1s does this list have? thread, so low contrast lenses in flat lighting shouldn't be the problem.

Doc William
05-09-2005, 18:22
Jim,
Thanks. Yeah, their is a problem with the viewfinder also, the images don't line up in the vertical dimension. Will tr4y to take it back and try again. Thanks again.
bill

Jim Watts
05-10-2005, 00:30
Bill,
Yes lots of people have had frameline accuracy problems here so you are probably better going for an exchange. What Serial number range is your R-D1? It seems Epson are still not getting the quality control issues with the R-D1 sorted which is a bit annoying and can't be doing them any favours in marketing what they see as a prestige product.

TimF
05-10-2005, 02:09
On the (early) one I had, the rangefinder was misaligned. Took it back to get the problem fixed, but after three weeks it came back not done.

As I wasn't prepared to spend 2000 on a camera that wasn't serviceable (in all aspects) I got my money back.

Doc William
05-13-2005, 11:36
Bill,
Yes lots of people have had frameline accuracy problems here so you are probably better going for an exchange. What Serial number range is your R-D1? It seems Epson are still not getting the quality control issues with the R-D1 sorted which is a bit annoying and can't be doing them any favours in marketing what they see as a prestige product.

Hey Jim,
Yeah Callumet allowed me to exchange the camera today. Took the new one into the parking lot and so far so good. No underexposure problems as well.
Old (with allignment problem) # 001720
New (no obvious problem) # 001782

Cheers,
bill

Thomas W
05-26-2005, 18:16
I have no focussing/ rangefinder problem with my R-D1. So
far I have tried it with Minolta Rokkor 28mm, Summicron 35mm,
and Konica Hexanon 60mm/1.2 (LTM), and Elmarit 90mm. I am quite pleasantly surprised by the quality of the low-light pictures (using ISO 1600) I took with the Hexanon wide open.

I haven't encountered shutter freeze, or have any problem with the LCD and the menu. I am new to digital photography, so could someone tell me what hot pixels is all about?

However, on photos with huge expanses of sky or sunlit water surface, I tend to get under-exposed results. Clear skies could appear a little overcast. I learn from the forums that this is better than having the highlights bleached. But I want to develop a good/efficient metering method. So does that mean I should aim a little low (using AE) and then recompose, so as to avoid under-exposure?

Any comments and advice would be highly appreciated.

Thomas W

Doc William
05-26-2005, 19:59
However, on photos with huge expanses of sky or sunlit water surface, I tend to get under-exposed results. Clear skies could appear a little overcast. I learn from the forums that this is better than having the highlights bleached. But I want to develop a good/efficient metering method. So does that mean I should aim a little low (using AE) and then recompose, so as to avoid under-exposure?Thomas W

Thomas,
Getting a suitable exposure is even simpler than the procedure you describe. Simply use the Exposure Compensation values on the shutter speed dial, the numbers above or below the AE setting. + values =overexposure, whereas - values are under exposure. You will have to push the lock release button under the shutter charge lever in order to twist the dial. So in the case you describe above you would want to use the + values (up to 2 stops) while keeping an eye on the histogram. This is all described in pages 24-25 of the User's Guide.
Actually, in most cases you want to push the histogram to the right without blowing out the highlights, so that you don't lose shadow detail. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
bill

agoglanian
06-15-2005, 23:49
My only issue so far is that my rangefinder seems to move around if i detatch the lens, it seems to just move about, im not really sure how or why this happens, but i dont think im going to send it in, i can make due and just frame carefully, besides, the images still come out fine

SteveRD1
06-22-2005, 06:45
9 big fat bad pixels. I noticed two when I 1st used it and now I see 9. Even at ISO200. Seial # is 45**

No other obvious problems except I notice it seems hard to get the image lined up to foucs. It never really seems sharp or 100% lined up. I have 6 more days to return it to B&H for an exchange, so I may just do that.

sgy1962
06-22-2005, 08:36
Steve -- Your second paragraph I believe is a product of the short rangefinder base.

Joe S
07-10-2005, 17:46
#4500 is perfect after a couple weeks. If it fits your needs and you can afford it, I highly recommend this camera. Leica and Zeiss may or may not do many things, but life is short and this is a great camera that quickly endears itself.

brightsky
07-20-2005, 18:58
Hello everyone~

I just joined this forum after benefiting greatly from your tips, advice, and even horror stories about the RD-1. Mine arrived today, and based on the numerous postings here, I believe Epson is recycling these cameras. Mine was purchased from a high volume, well-known retailer and is serial 19xx. It seems odd that others who have purchased recently from this same retailer are receiving cameras in the 43-45xx range.

I telephoned the retailer after receiving it, rather unglued at seeing the lower serial number. They assured me it was an unopened box direct from Epson. Based on the packaging and the ship date to the retailer from Epson on the inside box label, I believe them.

In a baptism of fire, I learned the basic controls and began shooting away, using a Cron 35 ASPH. I just got the bright idea of placing my spirit bubble level in the hotshoe, so I will test more later. It "appears" the focusing is excellent and if there are any VF alignment issues, they are slight. The level will be of more use in determining how much, if any, the framelines are off.

Pixels are another story. I seem to have acquired the "rainbow" model, which features several stuck/hot pixels. Thus far I have noticed them at 400 and higher, getting progressively more noticeable as the ISO is increased. I did not note any using Raw. The two red pixels are the largest and most obnoxious, but there are also light magenta, light green, yellow, and white.

It's difficult to arrive at an exact count using the magnify and scroll option on the LCD, so I intend to load the software on both my Mac and PC tonight and look at them with PS, and make my decision on whether to keep this 19xx issue based on those results.

If these R-D1s were automobiles, the NTSB would have already issued a recall, or we'd be covered under our states Lemon Law. If the stuck/hot pixels are not equal at all ISOs, couldn't this problem be fixed with firmware. Have their been any upgrades since the original issue? Also, someone commented that this pixel issue might resolve itself over time? Is this assuming a firmware upgrade? Otherwise, I don't understand how the issue would resolve itself.

Thanks to all who have so generously contributed with their photos and advice. I doubt I would have taken the plunge without them.

CM

Terence T
07-21-2005, 23:00
I just received my new R-D1 last week, relatively low serial (#13xx). No major issues, just a dead pixel problem which I think I can live with, for now. Seems to show about 2 pixels at iso 200 and increasing to 12 at iso 1600.

Seems to focus well with most lenses, only problem was with the CV 75/2.5 which produced a bit of back focusing. Not a real problem and it seems only apparent with that lens. I tried it with my other long lenses, a 90 cron and CV 90/3.5 and they both seem to be spot on.

Quite satisfied with this body and will probably be keeping it. Haven't had a chance to try out the Epson battery just yet. Using a 3rd party one which is still showing a little below half full after 200 frames. I'll be happy if it goes to 300+, this is with excessive chimping on the LCD display.

satbunny
07-27-2005, 07:01
Well this thread has scared me right off saving up to buy one of these monsters!

RML
07-27-2005, 07:08
Well this thread has scared me right off saving up to buy one of these monsters!

Why? Apart from a few reported problems, most of us have little or no problems at all.

michael viener
08-08-2005, 11:40
Have any of you experienced this problem with your r-d 1 ? Your histograms on the camera look good, but when you go to process the images in the software they are under exposed by 1-1/2 to 2 stops. I'm a careful user. This is my second r-d 1. My first had a chronic frozen shutter issue but exposures were generally excellent. I loved the camera. It was compact, fun to use and results were very rewarding. Images with this replacement camera are practically unusable.

fgianni
08-11-2005, 13:37
Received my camera today and immediately tested it for rangefinder accuracy, seems spot on.
DOes it mean I have a winner or problems can start to occur in later life?

RML
08-11-2005, 21:23
Received my camera today and immediately tested it for rangefinder accuracy, seems spot on.
DOes it mean I have a winner or problems can start to occur in later life?

Nothing is for sure in life. :)

Terence T
08-11-2005, 21:25
Your histograms on the camera look good, but when you go to process the images in the software they are under exposed by 1-1/2 to 2 stops.

Yours has a histogram function? Where?!

RML
08-11-2005, 22:10
Yours has a histogram function? Where?!

RT(f)M. :)

In display mode lift up the selector knob and skip thru the modes there. One of them is the histogram function.

Terence T
08-11-2005, 22:18
Pays to read the manual eh? Hehe

fgianni
08-11-2005, 22:45
Pays to read the manual eh? Hehe

Or playing with the menus ;)

fgianni
08-12-2005, 10:10
Well actually probably there is a problem with mine: the battery does not click in place, and is only held there by the battery door, however, since focusing is accurate and I can't see any dead pixels, I think I am better off keeping this one ;)

Erl
10-04-2005, 02:19
Well, I bought mine 2nd hand. Couldn't afford new. I suspect it may be a 'new' recycled job but don't really care. Ser # 000483.

I have some serious focus problems with my Noctilux front focussing, my 90/f2.0 jumping all over the place, literally with focus. All lenses seem to front focus at closest range. A serious disappointment but I took the gamble because I can't wait for the Digital M.

I do like its performance at high ISO values, but I will continue to use my Leica's for real work. A bit of a let down in that regard.

I will find ways to live with it because my life is too short. I still need to do further trials, but work keeps getting in the way! Oh well, it wasn't meant to be easy.

usccharles
11-06-2005, 07:12
Hello Everyone, my first post! (bought my RD-1 today. my first RF. been an SLR geek)

returned my RD-1 after an hour of ownership! the shutter button only worked half the time. press the button and nothing would happen.

took it back, guy tried to reset the camera, nothing happened, so i got a new RD-1 to take home.

new camera seems good. no problems so far. but alittle worried. i've made a big investment away from my SLR, which have never given me problems... i want to be a long-term investment...

fgianni
11-06-2005, 07:23
The shutter died on mine after less than three months, sent it back for repair, I should get it back tomorrow.
I really hoped they repaired it instead of replacing, because on mine the focus is spot-on (even with a Noctilux at f1) and no dead pixels.

Sean Reid
04-06-2006, 17:35
No dead pixels....that's always impressive. Good luck with the shutter.

Cheers,

Sean

furcafe
05-15-2006, 15:19
No problems out of the box. No hot pixels. Framelines appear to be level. Focus appears to be correct (tested close-up w/Noctilux @ f/1). However, since I've only had it for a week, I'll have to see if any longer-term issues turn up (e.g., RF or framelines getting knocked out of alignment, shutter problems, etc.).

FWIW, as a point of comparison, my Leica M6 TTL 0.85 (purchased in mint condition from Photo Village) developed a film advance problem after 2 1/2 years of regular use & recently experienced a faulty meter (currently being fixed). No such problems w/my Kyocera Contax G2 (bought new) or Konica Hexar RF (used), though I haven't used them quite as heavily as the M6.

RML
05-15-2006, 22:18
I'll have to see if any longer-term issues turn up (e.g., RF or framelines getting knocked out of alignment, shutter problems, etc.).

And these are not problems restricted to the R-D1, mind you. Every rangefinder can (and most will) develop an out-of-alignment rf over time. And failing shutters are known from the earliest of cameras. But these problems suck anyway. :)

Andy K
06-03-2006, 01:45
How many people on RFF own an RD1? Ninety people have replied to the poll. For an expensive (2000 body only) camera that doesn't say much for the quality. If I saw that many people having problems with any camera it would make me think twice before buying one.

sf
06-03-2006, 01:54
I don't have an RD-1, but if I did, it would have problems.

williamhu99
06-06-2006, 06:56
I had the rangefinder alignment problem. But fixed ok now. Epson Taiwan service is good.

jimbobuk
06-10-2006, 16:12
My vertical alignment was out, i fixed it myself... I've just got an r3a and it too has vertical misalignment that i may get in there and fix. Discovered recently that it has a potential focusing issue that is only revealed on a 90mm lens.. perhaps subtly on my 1.4 one... its not being fixed just now as it rarely effects me with normal lenses.

I also seem to have the problem of aliasing or similar where detail near the pixel sizes goes a bit nasty.. no one else seems to have had this problem yet, but i dont know if they've looked at the same kind of images from their cameras. its pretty minor and different raw converters seem to handle it differently, like the raw format isn't totally understood by everyone. hopefully now with RAW+JPG the next problem i get i can see what the camera made of the image in the body to have an idea if its a real problem or not.

So for now my 1st camera is a keeper.. the new firmware helps :)

JeffGreene
06-12-2006, 19:49
My RD1 is 16XX and no problems at all thus far!

rvaubel
06-12-2006, 20:40
Mine is #18xx and I couldn't be happier

Rex

nksyoon
06-12-2006, 22:03
Mine is #36xx - bought secondhand in auction with only 800+ exposures - no problems so far.

Didier
07-03-2006, 07:36
I got mine a week ago. Not really satisfied so far. The RF patch is not spot-on but slightly disaligned to the right and the top, when focused at infinity (clock tower on the other side of the lake). I checked it with a Color Skopar 28, Nokton 40, Summicron 50, Canon 50, Summilux 75 and Canon 135, which all focus correctly on a recently CLA'd M6 - but the R-D1 RF patch is constantly disaligned.

Have noticed several hotpixels, some can even be seen at ISO200/daylight (when in 100% view in PS).

Epson Switzerland will get it tomorrow as they promised to take care of it (though the camera was bought in UK).

:(

Didier

I forgot to mention: my serial is 243X

nemjo
07-13-2006, 21:35
Something must be wrong with that statistics.
It's definitely impossible that 2 of 3 are faulty...
But if so, I'm more happy to own that other 1.

nemjo

wintoid
07-13-2006, 21:52
My RD1s is perfect. Where do I find the serial number?

Bob Parsons
07-13-2006, 23:49
My RD1s is perfect. Where do I find the serial number?
It's stamped on the edge of the hot shoe. :)

Bob.

wintoid
07-14-2006, 08:53
Thanks Bob, 100897 apparently.

Mark Norton
07-14-2006, 09:15
Sounds like the serial number was advanced to 100000 for the RD1s.

rvaubel
07-20-2006, 21:14
Mark
I assumed the "new" RD1s was unsold NOS from the original run of 10,000. Does anyone think any different? Is it possible that Epson/Cosina actually manufactered new cameras? Or is it more likely that they just made new hotshoes and painted an "S" on the old bodies?

I"ve wondered what would happen when old RD1 still under warrenty came in for repair and there was no more NOS to replace them with. Does anyone feel that their malfunctioning RD1 was actually repaired instead of replaced?

I'm hoping my RD1 keeps on going so I don't have to find out by personal experience.

Rex

pastafazul
08-01-2006, 12:03
The shutter died on mine after less than three months, sent it back for repair, I should get it back tomorrow.
I really hoped they repaired it instead of replacing, because on mine the focus is spot-on (even with a Noctilux at f1) and no dead pixels.

i was wondering what happened when you say the shutter died? I am having a similar issue where I am getting "black frames" because one of the shutters is not releaseing.

Steve Litt
08-19-2006, 03:58
My RD1 purchased recently from Robert White is Perfect- serial 002414

Regards
Steve

rvaubel
08-19-2006, 09:22

Regards
Steve

Steve

You purchased the old model (the non-"s") from Robert White? Your serial number indicates that it is not the new RD1s. I wouldn't care myself, since the cameras are identical except for the firmware upgrade which you can get online.

It would be interesting to know if Epson or the distributers still have a stock of cameras left.

Rex

Steve Litt
08-19-2006, 12:18
You purchased the old model (the non-"s") from Robert White?

Yes, just before the RD1s arrived Robert White had a limited supply of RD1 for sale.They arent advertising them now and yes I upgraded the firmwire.

Regards
Steve

usccharles
08-24-2006, 00:09
my first RD-1 was returned due to a faulty shutter button.

my second RD-1 worked like a charm. a few months later, i dropped my RD-1 while running, completely smashing up the 35mm summicron i had on it and the camera rolled and rolled until it had cracks and dings on every corner of the camera. Sad and also really embarrassed, i took the camera back to the store to see if it was even fixable. I was pleasantly surprised that the only thing wrong with the camera was that the view finder needed alignment. the camera works fine!

i've had my RD-1 for close to a year now and i still carry it around all cracked and dinged up. gives my camera character :)

i know the RD-1 has had alot of quality control issues but i am utterly surprised at how the camera handled all that dinging and banging.

nickmeertens
08-29-2006, 22:00
I got my first Epson R-D1s directly from Epson about a month ago and it has given me well over 1200 shots since without missing a beat. I consider myself lucky not to have any of the problems users report having.
It is a wonderfull camera and I haven't missed my DLSR for a minute.

rxmd
08-29-2006, 22:46
This kind of thread has a natural bias against the subject, simply by way of its starting question.

Terence T
08-30-2006, 15:59
This kind of thread has a natural bias against the subject, simply by way of its starting question.

That's not entirely true. There have been posts which contain nothing but praise for the R-D1. And besides, what's wrong with users posting the problems their facing with their cameras? It's had a problematic history.

Didier
09-01-2006, 05:15

Steve
Mine, from RW, too, has 002434 - looks like we're neighbours just around the block :)
Didier

Mark Norton
09-03-2006, 03:56
4 months in, and the paint is wearing off the base of the camera and the bottom right hand edge of the body.

Steve Litt
09-03-2006, 11:46
Steve
Mine, from RW, too, has 002434 - looks like we're neighbours just around the block :)
Didier

Dider,
Yes we are-Virtual neighbours and brothers in arms!! (Sorry for the slow reply been working this weekend)

Regards

Steve

nickmeertens
09-07-2006, 04:20
I reported no problems a few weeks ago but that seemed premature... I have since noticed that the frame lines are not completely level, which is a shame, but nothing to really worry about. Could I adjust them myself?

Other thing is that when cocking the shutter the lever is not as smooth as it was when new... The point in the lever-action where the shutter starts to travel has developed real resistance which is a bit unpleasant. Not only in use but also in that I worry if it will worsen...
Anybody else has this problem!?

sirvine
09-08-2006, 16:53
My R-D1 arrived today. UPS had their gory way with it, punching a hole right through the box. The UPS guy came to my door with a "you sure you want this" look in his eye. Anyway, I got a few exposures off but then the shutter froze. Nothing seems able to reset it. Anyone have any idea? I will wind once, but the shutter release does nothing. If I turn it off and on, it clicks, and will allow me to wind it once again, but still no shutter release.

I've also noticed a bunch of hot pixels. The few shots I got off were pretty great, though!

Keith Cocker
09-09-2006, 03:59
My R-D1 arrived today. UPS had their gory way with it, punching a hole right through the box. The UPS guy came to my door with a "you sure you want this" look in his eye. Anyway, I got a few exposures off but then the shutter froze. Nothing seems able to reset it. Anyone have any idea? I will wind once, but the shutter release does nothing. If I turn it off and on, it clicks, and will allow me to wind it once again, but still no shutter release.

I've also noticed a bunch of hot pixels. The few shots I got off were pretty great, though!

Hi,

Bad News! The shutter problem you described happend on my second RD1 - It went back to Robert White for a refund - they thought it was an unfixable problem. It started as an intermittent problem but quickly became a permanent feature. I now have a Leica M6 which has worked perfectly for 16 years!!

sirvine
09-09-2006, 07:54
Well, my hope is that Robert White will sort it out. Shame they're not open on weekends, though. I'm growing increasingly impatient with having this very expensive, dead camera on my desk.

B&W Norway
09-09-2006, 09:29
It is a shame that they don't find these kind of problems before shipping the R-D1 to customers!

Hopefully they send you a brand new one (no cuestion asked)

sirvine
09-09-2006, 09:49
Jarle,

Since you mention it, I asked them to check the finder alignment prior to shipment (I was assuming it was the most common problem) and they did this graciously. In my case, I believe the issue was caused by a combination of the rather flimsy box and padding it was shipped in, together with the choice of UPS as shipping agent. In my experience, UPS should never be trusted for anything valuable.

I will remain confident in Robert White while I await their response, but my faith in the R-D1 is another matter. Somehow, I doubt I'll ever regain confidence in this camera.

rvaubel
09-09-2006, 10:34
It is a shame that they don't find these kind of problems before shipping the R-D1 to customers!

Hopefully they send you a brand new one (no question asked)

sirvine

It's a shame that the purchasers of the RD1 have had to put up with this crap. However, when (or if) you get the problems sorted out, it is a wonderful camera. You have to be ready to accept the possibility of receiving a defective camera when you order an RD1. You have to be prepared to suffer a lot of pain to be allowed to join the exclusive digital rangefinder club (file://\\club). That doesn't mean that what is happening to you is right or fair,,,,, it just is.

If it is any consolation, Robert White has the best reputation of making things right. He will undoubtable send you a new camera, at which point you should test the hell out of it. I spent 3 or 4 days testing mine before I was convinced it was a good sample.

RD1 ownership is not for the faint of heart. But until the introduction of the M8, there has been no other choice. For me, it has been worth the effort.

However, I do have an M8 on order. I am #2 on my dealers list:)

Rex

sirvine
09-09-2006, 12:13
Rex,

Thanks, I feel better now. As photographers, we must sometimes let the moment pass without regrets. I will persist, because, as you say, there is no other choice for digital rangefinders, if for no other reason.

sirvine
09-11-2006, 11:31
I'm sorry to reply to my own post, but everyone should know that Robert White is taking an exchange on my R-D1 with faulty shutter. I've been very impressed with their service, so I don't want to leave the wrong idea here. Before the new body is sent to me, they will be checking the rangefinder and test-firing the shutter. Now, I cross my fingers.

jvr
09-25-2006, 12:37
Hi!

I bought a RD-1 from Robert White (great service!) and I was appalled to realise it didn't work at all. Send it back to Robert White (again, great service!), got back a RD-1s as soon as they got one. Working ok, since a few months and some thousands of pictures already.

I have to confess that it was a bit frustrating to get a non-working camera: I've been taking pictures for at least 35 years, I had at least 15 cameras, have Leicas (old and new), have Nikons (old and new), Konica, Ricoh and Canon. Never had a problem like that.

Fortunately, I was dealing with a very professional camera shop (for the last time in this post, great service!)... :-)

I'm happy with the camera, although I had to wait for the new version of Capture One Pro to get the same quality I get from my D100 and D70s in RAW...

Software matters a lot and I think Epson should be aware of that. My "old" NEF files from my D100 get a new life everytime Nikon updates Capture. The difference from the earlier versions is very noticeable. That's the same for my ERF files with the new version of Capture One, even when compared to CS2 conversions, let alone the RAW Converter from Epson.

For people shooting RAW, keeping the conversion software up to date is a very cheap way of extending the life of our gear...

Disclaimer: don't have any commercial or otherwise connection with Robert White or Phase One, just a happy customer!

hopf
10-04-2006, 03:17
I have noticed something odd with my R-d1 today. It seems that the right side of the viefinder has gone a little strange. On the 28mm frame lines I cant make out the right side any more and it even is a problem with the 35mm.It seems like for some reason I am getting reflection of the prism on the left side of the view finder. Could it have shifted? If I look into the finder form the lens side I can see the edge of the prism protruding just a hair into the window.

Has anybody come across this before?

Any sugestions?

mountainrivera
10-19-2006, 19:10
After reading this thread I was very concerned about the RF being out of line but it looks fine. A few test pics and it seems ok. The camera has a great look and feel to it. Can't wait to put it to some use this weekend.

Adam-T
10-24-2006, 21:47
same here ! .. the RF appears to be fine, will test the lines for straightness in due course

Didier
10-24-2006, 23:02
After reading this thread I was very concerned about the RF being out of line but it looks fine. A few test pics and it seems ok. The camera has a great look and feel to it. Can't wait to put it to some use this weekend.

Check out the close focus accuracy, too, as this is another unfriendly issue. This can't be seen through the rf but with test shots. Take a 50mm lens, f2 or faster, 1m distance, and shoot a newspaper on a table in front of you. Remember the headline you focused, and then check the image. I had 13cm difference between the focused line, and the one that was sharp. The close distance adjustment can not be done with the screws in the hot shoe, and needs disassembling the top plate.

More in this thread (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26917).

Anyway, good light and fun with your camera
Didier

LCT
10-28-2006, 09:20
...the cameras are identical except for the firmware upgrade...
Sorry Rex but this is not true.
Epson have changed something in the rangefinder of the R-D1s so that vertical misalignments can't be repaired the same way anymore.
The tall screw below is the vertical RF adjustment. It was easy to adjust with the R-D1, but with the R-D1s the screw is not tall any more and it is now inactive so that nothing happens when you turn it with a screwdriver.
Then the only way to get the RF repaired is to return the body.
:(

Adam-T
10-28-2006, 23:51
Mine is 24xx and all is well so far

epsonfan
11-09-2006, 06:47
I have checked the epson R-D1 user's guide http://www.manualshark.org/p/epson-2/epson-r-d1-282/ and found no answer to that. but such a generic question might be anwsered in another epson manual http://www.manualshark.org/b/epson-2/ . i hope this helps.

Plasmat
11-12-2006, 17:42
First one bought used on eBay last year. Rangefinder out of alignment. Close focus WAY off. After three months, battery charge gauge malfunctioning. Not able to fix with methods successfully reported by others. I will eventually send it out to DAG for rangefiinder alignment.

Second one was a refurb purchased direct from Epson. Perfect so far, except for very slight vertical misalignment. I can live with it.

I'm keeping both. I love the camera.

Does anyone know if there is any other fix for battery gauge? When battery is full, it shows exactly half charge. Repeatedly retrying to fix it with the menu like others have doesn't work for me.

Adam-T
11-13-2006, 21:40
Have you tried the different batteries in each camera? - these cams can be up to 2 years old (Mine is even though its "new") and Li-Ions are timebombs rather than wear out due to usage so many of them will be not up to scratch.. Mine shows full but doesn`t last as long as a cheapo Jessops battery

Plasmat
11-15-2006, 06:19
Yes, I have several batteries. They all work fine on one R-D1. The other R-D1 battery gauge only shows "half" even with a fully charged good battery.

rvaubel
11-19-2006, 10:11
Yes, I have several batteries. They all work fine on one R-D1. The other R-D1 battery gauge only shows "half" even with a fully charged good battery.

I have had no trouble resetting my battery gauge but there was really nothing wrong...I was just tweaking. However, I have heard that some people have had to do it over and over again, like 4 or 5 times to get it to work.

Rex

Didier
11-20-2006, 12:33
Mine is 24xx and all is well so far

Hello neighbour, mine is 2434...
:)
Didier

Adam-T
11-20-2006, 13:03
Wow - Jono Slack`s is in that range also :) .... Mine has now gone back to Epson for Rear Focussing - long Story but it seems to have "drifted" after the Mech has "worn in" .. I`ve got a loaner here and it`s bang on, focusses better than mine ever did.. they give you the option to Keep the loaner but it`s cosmetically Rough so No Thanks :( .. I know that Epson made yours worse, hopefully they`re Learning to set these things up ......

WHY do they have to go to Paris? . you`d think that they`d train at least ONE person in each country to service the things or at least appoint and certify a current CV friendly RF repair company.. To be Honest, Even though Epson did a superb job of the Digital side of the cam (far better than I ever expected them to do) , they really had no business marketing the thing themselves, they just don`t have the expertise or knowledge to setup RF units, gawdknows who services a Bessa when they`re out (and most of the ones I`ve used have been also!) but they should do RD1s as well! ..

Topdog1
12-04-2006, 12:08
So far so good. I got a used one from an eBay seller in Japan and it has worked fine all weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed. :angel:

Regards,
Ira

Sailor Ted
12-05-2006, 22:20
I just took delivery of a brand new R-D1s from Robert White. Out of the box the camera was perfect... three days later and it has a vertical alignment problem so severe that it makes focusing difficult, and in low light, nearly impossible. Say what you will about the M8 but I doubt it will have such a debilitating issue.

PS. I love the hell out of my R-D1s and hope when I return from my trip to Hong Kong (tomorrow) I can find an article here and fix the damn thing myself.

summilux
12-10-2006, 16:17
using r-d1s, has shutter problem, will go blank sometimes between shots, using B, see that the second shutter curtain will not open, although it appears to be strongly built outside, its internal mechanics seems to be rather weak.

btw, the focusing is not accurate enough for f1 lens, but given its short base length, one can't expect too much in this area.

JBFreeheel
01-23-2007, 20:06
Brand new to me (used to the rest of the world) #00007X seems to be working great; in limited use over the last three days. I want to shoot 500 shots to verify it's condition.

Josh

Honus
01-27-2007, 16:48
I picked up a refurb through Epson about 3 weeks ago. Serial# 0045xx. With the exception of a small paint chip on the back hinge, it looked and felt brand new. The shutter had been pressed about 800 times.

Since then, I have taken about 700 images, the vast majority with either a 50 asph or 35 cron (IV). The rangefinder patch is slightly tilted, but does not hinder focusing. I have tested focusing quite a bit with the 50mm @ 1.4 at all distances, and have been very pleased with the results. In actual street shooting situations, my hit rate is not as high. I attribute that primarily to the shorter base length of the rangefinder, but also to my normal coffee intake :D . The rangefinder patch is not as contrasty as my M2 as well, which makes it harder to focus in flat light.

I had read probably every post about the R-D1, good and bad, before my purchase. At retail prices, I was not willing to risk getting a problematic camera. At the refurb rate plus the 10% discount, it was an easy decision.

The results, particularly with the Summilux, are excellent (for digital capture). The biggest surprise was the performance at 1600 iso. Very usable. The best thing about it, however, is that I can mount my M-Mount and LTM lenses on a digital body with a rangefinder and manual controls. Together with my M2, I have a pretty useful kit now.

docolmo
03-10-2007, 03:41
Had mine since new year. Thought I had problems with shutter dial, and exposure lock, but my fault. Didn't read the manual.

However, lately, shutter plunger beginning to feel a bit gritty and less smooth. Hope it will go away after constant use.

jjcha
04-29-2007, 23:34
Hi everyone,

Just got my R-D1 a few weeks ago and am thoroughly enjoying it. Minor thing I noticed though - do other people notice strange effects when there's a strong light source in the photo? Check out the band across the young man's jaw in the first photo.

http://photo.head-fi.org/data/500/banding1.jpg

I think there's a similar band across to the right of the lights near the middle of the second photo, a dark band (where there's no noise) right across the man's chest in the middle.

http://photo.head-fi.org/data/500/banding2.jpg

Anyone have a similar issue? Both shots were with a 35mm Nokton wide open.

Best regards,

-Jason

M4streetshooter
05-22-2007, 11:03
Have you tried Noise Ninja or something...it looks like noise to me.....

edho
07-01-2007, 18:53
I have got my R-D1s some days ago. I found that the built-in framelines indicated in the viewfinder is actually not the same as the actual pictures taken. The area covered by the framelines is much smaller. I found it hard to compose pictures as the deviation is too large. Of course I can do post-processing in the computer by cropping but it sounds stupid to repeat that for every single shot. Does it happen to every R-D1?

stefan_dinu
07-09-2007, 04:41
I have a problem with one of my Epson's. No not with one that I just received today. :)
The old one, got the wind lever stuck. And when I tried to arm the camera, I heard a strange noise, like a "clanc". After that, the lever goes all the way, even when is cocked. I can arm the camera like before, no problems here, but the lever is different. You can move it around, and all the way even when the camera is armed.
Do you know what could have been happened? Anyone experienced this?

boilerdoc2
07-09-2007, 06:58
My 14 month old R-D1s had the shutter curtain lock on day 2 of a 2 week trip in Europe. It twitches slightly on shutter release and that's all it'll do. nice black images!!! No problems until then of course. Carried around a dead weight camera for 12 days. Used the M8 as back up. It worked like a champ.
Now, who to send it to for a fix?
Steve

GrahamWelland
07-09-2007, 17:22
I have a problem with one of my Epson's. No not with one that I just received today. :)
The old one, got the wind lever stuck. And when I tried to arm the camera, I heard a strange noise, like a "clanc". After that, the lever goes all the way, even when is cocked. I can arm the camera like before, no problems here, but the lever is different. You can move it around, and all the way even when the camera is armed.
Do you know what could have been happened? Anyone experienced this?

Anytime you have something mechanical that gets stuck, goes clank, and then becomes free to rotate where it didn't rotate before, you've got something that broke! My guess from you description is that whatever limits the winder throw has now broken or bent.

:rolleyes:

indianavince
09-07-2007, 19:26
Below if any of you wish to read is an exchange between myself and Epson today (9-7-07)

Me>>>

Thank you, although I to am somewhat offended by your statement about my candidly frustrated observation of your company (not you personally). I have spent the better part of a day on hold, with a company that can not give me a strait answer about the following simple question:

All I ask is when might I expect my RD-1 serial # 18xx shipped to Plainfield Indiana returned to me in working order. I am a professional photographer, I could buy another camera and had I not been given such bad service earlier today I would have gladly purchased another RD-1 for my use next week.

I as a customer will not tollerate long hold-time and the inability to give me a simple answer in a timely manner. It shouldn't be that hard. I run a business and if I were to perform my services in the manner which Epson proper has dealt with me I would surely be out of business.

As of the last year I can say that the digital imaging manufactures and services I work with and spend thousands of dollars with each year that I can endorse as professional partners are:

Buckeye Color Lab, Canton Ohio
Leaf America, digital backs
Hasselblad
Fuji Professional imaging ( Cameras and film)
Ilford black and white products.

Lastly despite your response I do not have the answer to the question that I asked of two Epson employees earlier today- which they said they would get back to me on by the end of this day. I also would like to note I spent more than 1 hour listening to hold music and talking politely to representatives that have still told me absolutely nothing!

Thank you,

-vincent walter
765-420-0955

on 9/7/07 5:49 PM, [email protected] at [email protected] wrote:

> Thank you for contacting the Epson Store. It is our pleasure to respond to
> your inquiry.
>
> Your email has reached Epson Accessories, Inc. (Epson Store), a subsidiary
> of Epson America, Inc. We will be happy to respond to your inquiry and
> assist you with your concern as long as you can keep your email
> correspondence to a professional level. However, Epson will not tolerate
> profanely insolent language and/or discriminatory remarks and reserves the
> right not to respond to you if your emails continue to be unprofessional.
>
> Should you require further assistance, please use the REPLY option on your
> email software and include your previous email request. If you have a
> different question, please submit another email request and we will make
> every effort to respond within two business days (excluding major
> holidays). The Epson Store business hours are 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.,
> Pacific time, Monday through Friday.
>
> Thank you for choosing Epson.
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
> Alson O.
> Epson Store
>
> ME>>> this is what I had to write to get a response: Not tidy, but clearly reflecting my state of mind.

> You know your whole operation (Epson) is full of ****. Asking folks to
> spend thousands on equipment and ink that costs more than gold. I am happy
> with your products and what they do, your customer service when things
> don't
> go well is a bunch of ****.
> -thank you,
> -vincent

> on 9/7/07 1:14 PM, [email protected] at [email protected]
> wrote:
>> Thank you for contacting the Epson Store. It is our pleasure to respond
> to
>> your inquiry.
>>
>> You have reached Epson Accessories, Inc. (Epson Store), a subsidiary of
>> Epson America, Inc. Let me refer you to Epson America, Inc.'s Technical
>> Support Department . It's unfortunate that you were having this issue
> with
>> that RD-1 Camera. The only Way that we can help you with it is to let you
>> Call our Customer Technical Support Imaging Department and their direct
>> number is 1-562-276-4303. I do apologize for the Inconvenience, just call
>> them and I'm sure that they will be more than happy to assist you with
> it.

(I called them as above... got the run around (lots of hold music) being asked to cal this number then that, talked to nice woman in Indiana who said she would call me back in the afternoon that never did)

>> Thank you for choosing epson.
>>
>> Should you require further assistance, please use the REPLY option on
> your
>> email software and include your previous email request. If you have a
>> different question, please submit another email request and we will make
>> every effort to respond within two business days (excluding major
>> holidays). The Epson Store business hours are 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.,
>> Pacific time, Monday through Friday.
>>
>> Thank you for choosing Epson.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>>
>> Lester D.
>> Epson Store
>>
>>
>> My Epson Rd-1 (#1850) was sent to the Plainfield Indiana repair facility
>> for
>> a faulty LCD screen.
>> I want to find out if I might be able to expect delivery or a loaner???
>> Serial # is 1850
>> Additionally I only live 40 miles from the repair facility and will be
>> driving past the facility next week on the way to my assignment in
>> Cincinnati.
>> Thank you
>> --
>> www.vincentseye.comvincent p. walter
>> 828 main st.Lafayette, Indiana 47901 USA
>> 765-420-0955 -- leave a message I check it often“it’s not the camera,
>> it’s the eye” *
>>
> --
> www.vincentseye.comvincent p. walter
> 828 main st.Lafayette, Indiana 47901 USA
> 765-420-0955 -- leave a message I check it often“it’s not the camera,
> it’s the eye” *
>

--
www.vincentseye.com
vincent p. walter
828 main st.
Lafayette, Indiana 47901 USA
765-420-0955 -- leave a message I check it often

“it’s not the camera, it’s the eye” *

:( :bang:

indianavince
09-07-2007, 19:42
I also shoot with a Leaf Aptus back and my Hasselblad lenses. I do not know exactly how these chips work but it looks to me that the light that seems to have caused the banding is over-modulated by at least 8 stops. I think it is asking too much of the current digital sensors to handle this. i see the same thing with my Leaf Aptus 17. (See Epson I am reasonable).

It is the nature of the beast, or shal I say medium.

I don't think the camera is defective in this case.

Sorry if that is not the answer you were hoping for.

Burkey
09-08-2007, 11:51
No issues yet. Bought mine here from a forum member. #0018XX and working great.

Kawabatnam
04-01-2008, 05:30
My main camera is a R-D1 and I bought a a R-D1s some time ago for a very good price as a backup body, thinking that this one would last a long time since not used often and probably being more recently made than the R-D1.
Well that's theory. Reality is that while checking the R-D1s I realised that after hundreds of fine pictures, it now produces pictures that display in the center, a blue vertical line which length is almost half the heigth of the image (in landscape mode, about 1000 pixels long and 5 pixels wide!): very noticeable above ISO 200, and almost hidden depending on the type of picture at ISO 200. The sensor is clean, tested lenses are ok, so I guess it is clearly a thick line of dead pixels...
I have ran the pixel mapping function tens of times, but with no result so far; and of course the camera is not under warranty anymore...

efkbl
04-01-2008, 06:07
So far, I have encountered two problems with my R-D1. The first one, a ripped cable, was quite obvious as it allowed me to buy the camera for a bargain price. Nothing to do with the camera itself here, it had been damaged by its previous owner during top plate removal. I decribed here how I repaired it:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56871

But this WE, just a few weeks after my long repair job was finally successful, I encountered the quite recurrent "jammed shutter" problem (at least judging by the posts on this forum). After taking a few pics, the shutter is jammed, the wind lever can't be moved, but the display works OK. Not a battery problem, I tried two different ones... Looks a lot like this:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52478

Turning the camera off and on again, I heard a faint click inside on the right of the screen, the wind lever could then be moved, though easier and maybe further) as normally. At this point, it worked again, but not every time. If it didn't, tapping the base plate solved the problem for at least a few more pics.

I managed to (temporary?) solve it by using the wind lever much faster as I did normally, pushing it hard but not beyond the end of its course, then shooting, and repeating it about 20 times. The problem didn't reappear since. If it does, I will either try to repair it myself (although reopening this beast doesn't appeal to me) or have it serviced by a repairman (although paying a few 100 euros doesn't appeal to me).

If I repair it myself, I'll try to document it if it is feasible. Seems to me like a mechanical contact telling the electronics that the wind lever has been armed that somehow stays jammed, and can be released either by the 'click' at poweron, or by tappng the camera or quickly actioning the wind lever.

dacaccia
04-02-2008, 01:25
No problems till now. Hope it will stay as it is!

Cheers,
dacaccia

Vickko
04-06-2008, 04:28
Biggest problem with mine was that I needed the cash, after I bought an M8. Otherwise my RD1 was perfect. It was a refurb that I bought from an RFF member.

Vick

jamriman
01-04-2009, 07:40
Jeez, 3rd, 4th, 5th body? You guys make me feel poor. I only have one...;^(

dacaccia
01-04-2009, 10:22
you only need one. Mine was perfect! no backfocus, used with really old (summarit 1,5/50) and quite new Leica lenses.

dw123
01-04-2009, 16:05
Lately my R-D1 got a line/band of purple "dead pixel" along the image, particularly on high ISO. It was cured after using dead pixel removal function in high ISO. Works like a charm.

kross
01-04-2009, 22:04
Is there a diy way to re-adjust the rf patch of the rd1s? Mine is off and it makes low light focusing a pain especially at f1.2.

LCT
01-04-2009, 22:59
Is there a diy way to re-adjust the rf patch of the rd1s? Mine is off and it makes low light focusing a pain especially at f1.2.
You might wish to try this:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=863446&postcount=1
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=864193&postcount=6

24mgdriver
01-06-2009, 10:42
my camera s perfect, only one hot pixel but only on the display.

mightyecho
03-19-2009, 01:15
I've had blank frame problems in cold and/or humid (as in rainy but not exposed to rain) weather.

Is this common?

Sadaf62
04-06-2009, 15:16
Well, after a year with my 1st R-D1 (bought used on RFF), I encountered the dreaded shutter issue. It just stopped taking pictures. I had to switch it off & then back on again, hearing a distinct clicking noise. This would then make it necessary to recock the shutter & try to fire again - no luck again.

So its off to Steve's Camera Repair for him to bring it back to life.

Luckily, I have a 2nd body that is nearly new, so I'll use it & hope it doesn't go south on me.

But I do love this camera!!!!!

Bob

Arie Intveld
04-11-2009, 17:35
I've had my Epson R-D1s for about a year and half and I recently had issues with the rangefinder going out of adjustment.

My R-D1s is just back from Steve Choi (Steve's Camera Repair) and I now have a perfect camera. Steve adjusted the rangefinder and my Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 (my most used lens). Steve also performed his preventative maintenance magic on my shutter to hopefully ensure it won't ever experience "sudden death syndrome". My total CLA service bill came to US$295. Steve's abilities in keeping the R-D1(s) alive are without equal, IMHO.

Don't let reported rangefinder and shutter issues discourage you from buying or using an Epson R-D1(s) .. if you can afford to be without your R-D1(s) for a few weeks, Steve Choi can make your Epson perform better than new.

Arie