PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 35 RC has new clothes

radiocemetery
12-16-2007, 06:53
Hi Olympus and RF fans,

Here is a project I recently completed. The chrome was stripped from the top and bottom plates. The plates were painted with gray enamel and the original leatherette was replaced with tan pigskin leather. I suppose this is the Olyca a-la-carte version of the 35RC.

What do you think?

Steve

gavinlg
12-16-2007, 06:59
Personally - it's not to my taste, however it looks like you've done an excellent job on it! Enjoy it - great little camera and now its truly yours

charjohncarter
12-16-2007, 08:14
Sui Generis!

chubasco
12-16-2007, 13:45
I think it looks quite spiffy! Nice combo, the gray and tan, and yes, great job of
dressing the camera in its new duds! :)

Bill

Paul C. Perkins, MD
12-16-2007, 19:04
Whatever floats your boat . . .

Cale Arthur
12-16-2007, 19:45
I dig it! I'd bet that the gray GripTac would look pretty cool w/the gray finish, as well.

Maybe i'll use my RC as a re-fin 'victim'.. it needs to be used for something other than a dust-holder!

--c--

Brennotdan
12-16-2007, 20:04
looks great, very unique color combination.

jan normandale
12-16-2007, 20:20
Has a 'designer' look. Pull it out to photo op the beautiful people. You may get orders for custom work! j/j Nice work!

oftheherd
12-16-2007, 22:12
Very nice looking.

ColinW
12-17-2007, 05:06
Very nice and well done, but I think I prefer the chrome look...

feenej
12-17-2007, 05:33
That's neat. It looks like a new camera.

goldfinga888
12-17-2007, 05:57
That's pretty funky! Haven't thought about doing that with my RC, EC or ED, BUT
I'm in the process of doing something similar with a Pen-EE and a Trip 35 only because I have a couple of those each (I'm also doing a modification for the Trip to have the faster shutter speed on 'flash' and a possible 'B' setting).

Could I ask you:

Did you spray the paint on, or did you just paint with a brush?
Was the leatherette custom-bought, or did you do that yourself?

CHeers,
Chris

shadowfox
12-17-2007, 09:21
Cool ... now can I order the Hammertone or Antharcite versions? :p

radiocemetery
12-17-2007, 18:01
Chris,

In answer to your questions: the paint was from a spray can, a Rustoleum product, The leather I used was from an old decrepit camera bag that was falling apart. I used the old leatherette covering as a pattern for the leather. Of course the leather was too thick, so I sanded the back side ( towards the pig) of the leather until it was thin enough to fit flush with the plates. I made the leather a little oversized and trimmed it with an Xacto knife for a tight fit against the plates.

The project was not that difficult, but did take some time. Now I have found a genuine lizard skin purse at an antique store, so I am wondering which camera is next?

Hey Will, How about Bronze hammertone and dark brown lizard skin? Or?

I know this kind of thing isn't for everyone, but this little camera had a damaged top plate and shrunken leatherette and the shutter release button was missing. After acquiring a parts donor 35 RC I quess I got carried away!

Don't be afraid to do mods or make a designer camera, go ahead. In this case, even if the project turned out to be a complete disaster, I would only be out a few bucks and some time. I wouldn't attempt something like this on a camera with real rarity or high value.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I had fun doing this, and that was my intent and as Charjohncarter said above "Sui Generis".

Steve

jaypolaski
12-18-2007, 08:52
Great job! Reminds me of some of the old Navy cameras. I'll bet Cameraleather.com's Verdigris kidskin would look AMAZING with that grey :)

goldfinga888
12-18-2007, 08:56
Hi Steve, that's for the info!
I'll be painting my 'custom jobs' with an airbrush, and I too had the idea of using the material (faux leather, leatherette, etc) from purses that my wife was throwing away. Actually, one of the bags is a pirate/fake Louis Vuitton - the leatherette material is new (it was being thrown away because the zipper broke!).. but now my wife wants me to customise an Oly Trip 35 with that stuff! Women!

Look forward to seeing your next creation. Will get some pics of mine as soon as I'm able (probably after Christmas)

Cheers and have a good one!
Chris

jesse1dog
12-18-2007, 12:45
Nice ideas here.
I've got a pair of gloves my missus was throwing away. They were her best pair until Jo, the dog, decided he liked the taste of them and took a bite out of one cuff. Nice thin pig skin too!

RobScumaci
02-22-2008, 19:52
Nice work here. I'm gonna give it a go with mine.

bmattock
02-22-2008, 20:00
Bordello Camouflage?

No, seriously, it's cool. But I'm color-blind, what do I know?

I like camera mods, why not? Mine are more along the lines of gaffer tape, but everybody has to do their own thing. Viva la spray paint!

dazedgonebye
02-22-2008, 20:16
That camera and a nice car and you can run a string of girls in most major cities.

:-)

Superbus_
02-23-2008, 10:23
The camera looks great, and really you have made a unique toy!

bcostin
03-07-2008, 21:59
Hey, that looks pretty sharp. I particularly like the gray enamel. In combination with pigskin it somehow reminds me of a vintage car interior.