PDA

View Full Version : XA problems.......

Bill58
11-05-2007, 19:29
I took out my two XAs last nite to use and both failed to fire!!!! I tried two new batteries to no avail w/o film. Seems like this happened two years ago and I took the repair shop. After that, they worked. What gives? Are they just finicky/ unreliable?

Anyone got a suggestion?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bill

Stanton
11-05-2007, 21:49
I can't really answer your question except to say that it seems exceedingly odd that both would fail at the same time. Can you think of any possible commonality? Dave

Bill58
11-06-2007, 01:00
I can't really answer your question except to say that it seems exceedingly odd that both would fail at the same time. Can you think of any possible commonality? Dave

That's why I tried a new battery, but now I think it's just a endemic/ tempermental electronic switch mechanism.

jmilkins
11-06-2007, 02:01
Bill,
the electrical contacts below the shutter buttons can sometimes get dirty which seems to lock them up - my XA4 had that issue - it was cleaned by a tech, but you might be able to get in there yourself...?
good luck

Trius
11-06-2007, 03:10
IIRC it is, as John speculates, dirty switch contacts. Somewhere there's a XA repair manual in PDF floating around the net. I don't have time to search for it now, but you may be able to find it.

gavinlg
11-06-2007, 03:19
My advice - don't dig into the camera. They are ridiculously tiny and complex. I tried to figure out what was wrong with my first one when the shutter wouldn't close. Tried taking it apart and as soon as I opened the top plate about 5 little inner bits when flying to norway.

My second one now has a jammed shutter too. I'm sending it to John at Camtech at the end of the year for a rebuild. They're awesome cameras when they're working.

Bill58
11-06-2007, 04:00
I guess I'll take them in for service--that's my guess too. But I'd never try to take one apart. All the electronics scare me off.

Thanks for your diagnosis, guys.

Bill

kuzano
11-06-2007, 15:44
They're VERY sensitive about having the clamshell FULL open. Is it possible that day that you just weren't pulling them over that little click stop on the full open?

ywenz
11-06-2007, 18:09
They're VERY sensitive about having the clamshell FULL open. Is it possible that day that you just weren't pulling them over that little click stop on the full open?

very true.. sometimes mine wouldn't fire then i realize the clamshell didn't click into it's open position..

Bill58
11-06-2007, 19:46
Man--another free suggestion!!!! Thanks. I'll go home and try it.