PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard..? (rumors say...)

Olsen
10-24-2007, 14:40
....that Leica will launch a 40 mill. pixel - sort of medium format fixed lense digital camera next year..?

etrigan63
10-24-2007, 17:15
Ummmm, no. Haven't heard anything like that.

Al Patterson
10-24-2007, 17:37
Even the rumoured Pentax 645D seems to have never appeared.

photogdave
10-24-2007, 17:47
There's plenty of talk over at Leica User Forum about a "larger than full-frame" R10 SLR with interchangeable IS AF lenses.

erikhaugsby
10-24-2007, 17:53
...with interchangeable IS AF lenses.
They'd better not do that to my M...:eek:

Trius
10-24-2007, 18:28
Will it have IR problems? (ducking and running ...)

TS ISAAC
10-24-2007, 18:41
Will it have a advance lever, or a thumb grip?

Eric T
10-24-2007, 18:43
An R10 with interchangeable IS, AF lenses makes great sense. Leica keeps the retro feel and look of the M but goes modern with the R. I don't see Leica going to a medium format digital camera with a huge sensor. The cost of producing such a camera would be too high for a company as small as Leica. The price of such a camera would be too high for the photographer - even for those paying current Leica prices.
Eric

Andrew Sowerby
10-24-2007, 20:21
Why the big baby Jesus would Leica want to get involved in the DSLR market? Seems like suicide to me.

A medium format fixed-lens camera is a bit more interesting, but I don't know who would buy it.

Ronald M
10-24-2007, 21:19
R 10 with auto focus and new lenses will be at photokina 2008. It will accept current R lenses also

NB23
10-24-2007, 21:28
Will it be called the M5-2?

SolaresLarrave
10-24-2007, 21:34
Rumors are not useful. Let's take photographs instead.

Olsen
10-24-2007, 23:53
It must have been this R10 I have heard of. Sounds exiting. I don't know what to believe, but it sounds like a D-SLR somewhere between Hasselblad H3 and Canon 1Ds III.

What I had in mind was a digital fixed lense wide angle camera like the Ricoh GX100. With either a full frame 135 system sensor or a MF sensor. A sort of digital Hasselblad SWC with a optimal lense/sensor construction for wide angle digital shooting. I am sure that it is a demand for such a pro camera. The Ricoh is not good enough. The camera got to be 'pro' with a sensor designed like on the Leica M8 with a wide angle lense optimalized for the sensor. For interiors, architecture etc.

Roger Hicks
10-25-2007, 00:33
Well, they do have a MUCH bigger in-house electronic research division now, and although they couldn't fabricate the sensor, they could probably buy one in (Kodak again)?) and build a camera around it.

Personally I'd rather wait for the M10...

The sort of camera you describe already exists, except that the lenses (and backs) are interchangeable: Alpa. They make Leicas look inexpensive, though.

Cheers,

Roger

cmogi10
10-25-2007, 00:36
and I've heard from a more then credible source that the R10 will not, I repeat, will not have autofocus capabilities.

Ben Z
10-25-2007, 07:45
The M8 is a unique camera with unique ergonomics and serves a purpose for me that no other does as well. But when it comes to a DSLR, I don't see any reason to spend the kind of money Leica will surely charge, for a camera with the quirks and suspect reliability that it will surely be plagued with. As for the D3, although I have a bunch of manual-focus Nikkor lenses and have been considering a D200 after the D300 forces D200 prices to drop under a grand, I think a Canon 5D for what soon will be under two grand, or a refurbed 1DS-II once the MkIII is in plentiful supply is a better buy than five grand for a 12MP D3. But I'm not heavily vested in Nikon glass.

pingle
10-25-2007, 07:57

They're going all out this time: IR problems, UV problems, and the colour red will be rendered as green. They're even introducing a new colour, called "murple".

Finder
10-25-2007, 07:58
....that Leica will launch a 40 mill. pixel - sort of medium format fixed lense digital camera next year..?

Probably a repackaged Horseman SW-D.

BillBlackwell
10-25-2007, 08:58
I find it irritating when someone posts based on the rumormill and never sites the source (or reliability of that source).

Be that as it may, there is no question Leica is working on a new DSLR. Reliable sources have told me it is unclear if Leica intends to create a new mount or stick to the old R mount.

IMHO, creating a whole new mount would be suicide.

oscroft
10-25-2007, 09:04
Reliable sources have told me it is unclear if Leica intends to create a new mount or stick to the old R mount.
What was that you were saying about people not citing their sources? :D

BillBlackwell
10-25-2007, 09:30
What was that you were saying about people not citing their sources? :D

Sighting the rumormill without sources or their reliability and saying "reliable sources say..." are two different things altogether.

I have gotten friends into trouble with Leica for posting internal ramblings on forums like this, so you'll have to forgive me about being careful about sighting my sources.

So I suppose you can take it for what it's worth...

Kim Coxon
10-25-2007, 09:31
No but there are still showing the introduction of new lenses for it on their current "Lens Roadmap". http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/lens/roadmap.pdf

Kim

Even the rumoured Pentax 645D seems to have never appeared.

Gabriel M.A.
10-25-2007, 09:50
Speaking of rumours, I've heard Cosina will begin selling a digital rangefinder $399.99 MSRP, with autofocus and 60 megapixels.

Finder
10-25-2007, 10:02
I have gotten friends into trouble with Leica or posting internal ramblings on forums like this, so you'll have to forgive me about being careful about sighting my sources...

I would tell us your sources so we can send their names to Leica. Obviously they should be keeping their big mouths shut rather than trying to impress their friends. Leica will inform us about their product when they are ready.

anselwannab
10-25-2007, 10:14
I'd like to see them do a FF 35mm sensor first.

Harry Lime
10-25-2007, 10:36
Actually it makes a lot of sense for Leica to move into the 'cost-is-almost-no-object -highend' part of the market.

There is no way they can compete head to head with 5k bodies from Canona and Nikon that are backed by R&D budgets bigger than Leica itself.

But what they can do is position themselves between the Canon 1Ds Mk3 and something like the Hasselblad H3 series. Cutting edge technology, limited production runs, high prices.

proenca
10-25-2007, 10:41
makes me laugh...

Leica, going into the dSLR market ? And snap on with a IS , AF dSLR ? Where did they pulled that all of the sudden ?

dSLR market is , well at least to me, high volatile and the type of market that is "my-dslr-has-more-mp-than-yours-hence-its-better" ... Leica doesn't have the money to keep up with this game... Nikon and Canon are the big players, they come up with dSLRs every year, and replace their flagships every couple of years.

Since when Leica is doing that ? I must have missed something here...

Now a R10, with an adapter that can project R lens to a MF sized sensor, would make more sense... telephoto guy's will be pissed though... :)

BillBlackwell
10-25-2007, 10:49
I would tell us your sources so we can send their names to Leica...

You don't have to worry... Leica reps read these forums.

visiondr
10-25-2007, 11:02
Different rumor: Leica will announce a new dRF with a new sensor that resolves the IR issue in-camera at the next Photokina. No idea if it is just a "corrected" version of the M8 sensor, but I'd imagine so.

I imagine (we are, after all, imagining here) those with current M8s would get their Gucci panties in a knot over a "corrected" version unless that aforementioned improvement could be retrofitted to their cameras. Now, that would be fun to read about in the forums. :rolleyes: :p

pingle
10-25-2007, 11:23
Speaking of rumours, I've heard Cosina will begin selling a digital rangefinder $399.99 MSRP, with autofocus and 60 megapixels.

Yeah, but it does a terrible job of rendering murples.

Clark Van Orden
10-25-2007, 11:32
Zeiss digital rangefinder??

Olsen
10-25-2007, 12:18
makes me laugh...

Leica, going into the dSLR market ? And snap on with a IS , AF dSLR ? Where did they pulled that all of the sudden ?

dSLR market is , well at least to me, high volatile and the type of market that is "my-dslr-has-more-mp-than-yours-hence-its-better" ... Leica doesn't have the money to keep up with this game... Nikon and Canon are the big players, they come up with dSLRs every year, and replace their flagships every couple of years.

Since when Leica is doing that ? I must have missed something here...

Now a R10, with an adapter that can project R lens to a MF sized sensor, would make more sense... telephoto guy's will be pissed though... :)

The way I see it is that FF-D-SLR is the only really profitable segment of the camera market. Canon combs home about 80% of the total profit of all the camera producers in the world. Even Nikon, half the size of Canon's camera division, making a profit less than a sixth of that of Canon's, see the obvious and have launched a FF alternative. Soon others will come. Like Sony. Leica has a natural place in this segment of the market.

Where shall Leica get the money from? From the profit of the FF-D-SLR sales.

emraphoto
10-25-2007, 16:02
i encountered an interview with steven lee a while back and he spent the greater part of the interview talking about dlsr's and autofocus ones to boot. i seem to recall him indicating that he was definately going to nudge leica in that direction.
now i don't wish to fan the flames of "rumour " so i wen ton a hunt for the interview to no avail... however i did encounter a few internet comments about the same interview.
"only things I found were interviews with Steve Lee talking about DSLRs
with AF and how they have to get away from removable digital back"
that comment was lifted from a leica users group conversation.
soooo... i would expect an auto focus dslr from leica in the future. i also know that mr lee apologized personally (quite a bit) in regards to the m8 hitting the market before it was ready (all the "kinks" ironed out) so i would expect leica will be VERY cautious about it's release date.
what would be REAL market suicide for leica? to release another camera before it's ready for the market... one mans take.
for the record i love the m8!

Finder
10-25-2007, 16:30
You don't have to worry... Leica reps read these forums.

Then just post their names - that will save the trouble of sending them on. I hate snitches. You certainly would not want to hang out with folks who pass on company secrets so they can be big shots. Disgusting types who think thay know better than everyone working on a product. Pity they don't hang traitors anymore.

wgerrard
10-25-2007, 17:04
... Leica will launch a 40 mill. pixel...?

Can anyone make a 40-meg sensor, yet? Most companies buy, rather than build, the things. I'd be very surprised to learn that a small company like Leica had set up its own fabrication facility.

emraphoto
10-25-2007, 17:08
"Then just post their names - that will save the trouble of sending them on. I hate snitches. You certainly would not want to hang out with folks who pass on company secrets so they can be big shots. Disgusting types who think thay know better than everyone working on a product. Pity they don't hang traitors anymore."

wow... easy feller. this isn't craigslist...

varjag
10-26-2007, 01:26
Would be great if they focused on the type of thing they can do best.

At the moment they have:
1. a marginal, but legendary and bohemian rangefinder system,
and
2. a marginal SLR system.

The second one was never hip, nor a sales hit, throughout its existence. It is also in the market segment where Leica has to compete against the Asian giants, and frankly without any success for decades.

Maybe it would really be better if they pool resources to release a reliable, updated M8.2 or M9, a cheaper, entry level film M (they have that Copal shutter sorted out anyway), and invest in making production of new Summarits and other lenses just a little less costly.

cmogi10
10-26-2007, 02:57
The biggest one shot sensor that is not a secret is a 100 meg sensor that has been built for a telescope. There are satellites that resolve detail less than a centimeter, so you can figure out what is on those. Pretty scary.

Patrick

And we complain about the M8's price...:eek:

rpsawin
10-26-2007, 08:23
It's probably true as Hassleblad is going to buy Leica....you heard it here first. Read the open letter from Hassleblad.

Olsen
10-26-2007, 09:26
It's probably true as Hassleblad is going to buy Leica....you heard it here first. Read the open letter from Hassleblad.

What 'open letter' from Hasselblad..?

Gabriel M.A.
10-26-2007, 10:34
I imagine (we are, after all, imagining here) those with current M8s would get their Gucci panties in a knot over a "corrected" version unless that aforementioned improvement could be retrofitted to their cameras. Now, that would be fun to read about in the forums. :rolleyes: :p
I didn't know I had Gucci panties. Is my bedroom activity being broadcast online? If so...where did I put my MP3 CDs? I've been looking for them for the past few days. Maybe you saw where I left them?

Thanks.

Gabriel M.A.
10-26-2007, 10:36
Or IR solutions. But those solutions better not be ducking or running either!

rpsawin
10-26-2007, 14:11
What 'open letter' from Hasselblad..?

Olsen,

This one. BTW the letter is authentic and my"rumor" is not.

Best regards,

Bob

Hasselblad Information
An Open Letter to Hasselblad Photographers and Partners.

There have been several announcements from Hasselblad over the past several weeks, and I wanted to take a moment to write to our photographers and partners to make sure each of you are aware of all of them.

The New H3DII DSLR Family
In the past few weeks, we have been busy around the world launching our 4th generation medium format DSLR, the new H3DII family. Following in the footsteps of the H1D, the H2D, and the H3D; the H3DII is the continuation of a product line that is one of the most successful in Hasselblad history. In addition, we have this week announced our newest camera, the H3DII-39MS a multi-shot version of the H3DII-39.
The H3DII has been available for delivery since the day it was announced. New features in the H3DII include a larger display, a new, more efficient "fan free" cooling technology, an integrated GPS option, and many more features and benefits that can be found on our Web site at www.hasselblad.com.
All of our "H System" cameras, whether film or digital, continue to take advantage of our HC lens line, which independent testing has shown are the finest lenses Hasselblad has ever offered. This includes the new H3DII. This is important to us, since we recognize that many photographers have significant investments in HC lenses, and lenses are the most important and significant long-term investment a photographer makes.

Discontinuing the H2
We have made a decision to discontinue the H2 camera line. Starting with the H1 in 2002, both the H1 and H2 products have served us well, but demand simply no longer justifies the dedicated manufacturing line required for its production. The clear mandate we have received has been to continue to develop products and technologies to help create the best images possible, so we are transitioning resources and bandwidth from the H2 line to the H3DII. This will enable us to keep up with H3DII demand (which has been tremendous), and also help us respond to what the market is asking for DSLR's.
By trimming our product portfolio of models that are no longer in significant demand, we can concentrate more of our resources on what photographers tell us they want the ability to create great images. The best way to do this, as we have stated for years, is in an integrated system where all of the components, from the lens to the capture unit to the software, are designed as a system and are communicating and working together. In short, via an integrated DSLR. The great success of the H3D and H3DII families, as well as the huge success and product strategy of industry giants like Canon and Nikon (as well as products announced by Sinar, Leaf and Mamiya) all confirm that this is the way to go.

The launch of the H2F
The H2F is a greatly simplified "film only" version of the H2, and consequently does not require the same level of manufacturing, R&D, and support overhead the H2 does. It allows us to devote our resources to develop and support products that are in demand, while continuing to support film.
We have over half a century of history with film, and don't want to abandon film manufacturers or photographers. We feel an obligation to continue to offer a film camera as long as possible, and the H2F is a good compromise that allows us to continue to offer a film alternative, while directing most of our R&D, Manufacturing and Support efforts to the digital products that photographers tell us they want.

Future support for the H2 and HC/HCD lenses
At Hasselblad we continue to devote considerable resources to the support of camera systems that, in some cases, are over 40 years old. We pride ourselves on this, as well as our legacy of support. You can be assured that this support will continue with our H1 and H2 installed base, for a minimum of 10 years from the date of purchase.
In addition, a decision to invest in HC/HCD lenses was a good one. Lenses are a critical and important investment, and we are proud that the HC lenses we produced in 2002 are just as useful and valuable in 2007 than they were the day they were produced. The image files captured through these lenses have improved every day since: with new lens perfecting software, with new natural color rendering, and with several other new advances in digital image perfection. This will continue.

Future Support of Hasselblad CF Digital Backs
We will continue to develop new products in the CF camera back line for Hasselblad photographers as well as photographers using other camera platforms, and will support the CF product line as we do our other product lines.

"Hasselblad Care Program" for H-system owners
To support our commitment to the owners of H-system camera products, on November 1, 2007, we are launching the "Hasselblad Care Program". This program is designed to include owners of all H-camera systems, including digital capture devices, regardless of manufacturer. The "Hasselblad Care Program" consists of a set of product enhancement options, all designed to support our photographers and increase the value of Hasselblad H-system products, including:
- Options for trading in current H-system products for a newer or more powerful model. This includes H1/H2 owners, owners of Hasselblad digital back solutions, as well as owners of a H1D or H2D cameras.
- Options for refurbishing a H-system product to full current factory standards
- Options for access to new H-system product information

Last of all, but most importantly, I want to thank you for your continued support and patronage. It is you who have made our great success possible, and we value your business. And, of course, thank you for helping make the H3D and now the H3DII two of the most successful products in Hasselblad's 50+ year history. I hope you find our new product offerings interesting and I trust you will take advantage of our "Hasselblad Care" program .

Best regards,

Christian Poulsen
CEO of Hasselblad.

Thardy
10-26-2007, 14:21
It does not surprise anyone that Hasselblad cranks out great products.

Avotius
10-27-2007, 03:07
Just goes to show you no one bothers with leica r, tamarkin has had this on their leica r pages for ages:

"Leica's commitment to the reflex line remains undiminished, despite the premature amd lamented demise of the Digital Module R. We know that Leica is developing an all-digital Leica R and believe they may have it completed in time for Photokina in September 2008. We promise to pass on more information as it becomes available!"

http://www.tamarkin.com/catalog/products/leica/leicaslrusedlens.html

Gabriel M.A.
11-04-2007, 20:06
Just goes to show you no one bothers with leica r, tamarkin has had this on their leica r pages for ages:

"Leica's commitment to the reflex line remains undiminished, despite the premature amd lamented demise of the Digital Module R. We know that Leica is developing an all-digital Leica R and believe they may have it completed in time for Photokina in September 2008. We promise to pass on more information as it becomes available!"

http://www.tamarkin.com/catalog/products/leica/leicaslrusedlens.html
Everybody that owns a Canon or a Nikon camera will expect it to behave like a Canon or a Nikon, so it's already a failure for them, I'm sure.

I hope Leica has two modes available in that camera: Optimal / Canikon

HenningW
11-05-2007, 14:35
and I've heard from a more then credible source that the R10 will not, I repeat, will not have autofocus capabilities.

Dr. Kaufmann seems to think it probably will. Didn't mention IS though.

Henning

georgef
11-06-2007, 08:20
if leica is making AF lenses for panasonic, would it not make sense to use the same ones on their new R? Having said that, those are made to the 4/3s system (me thinks) and if so, good luck with a high MP sensor.

saxshooter
11-06-2007, 08:29
I believe those lenses are being made in Japan. Leica optical design (not even glass, I dare say), though. Everything else probably taken care of by Panasonic... from the AF motor, etc.