PDA

View Full Version : Take apart a Oly 35RC

photobizzz
10-17-2007, 05:40
I have the idea to take the top and bottom plates off of my Olympus 35RC once it arrives and send them off to a shop to be replated in black chrome. It should not cost me too much, I was quoted around $50. I'm just wondering if anyone has taken theirs apart and if so how difficult was it. I want to clean the RF/VF at the same time anyway so waiting a week or two for the plates to come back isnt too bit a deal. I think it would look very smooth in black chrome with new black calfskin from cameraleather.com.

charjohncarter
10-17-2007, 06:23
I want to take the top plate off my 35RC, but I'm worried about the self timer and the shutter speed dial. I have taken that type of screw out before but I have had to 'ham hand' it with a hammer and a screw driver (I don't want to do that with the 35RC). I wouldn't mind buying the right tool but I don't know what its name is. Any help for photobizz and myself?

jesse1dog
10-17-2007, 08:56
charjoncarter

The self timer lever came off quite easily on my RC - it does have a left handed screw thread - and I used a bradall (?) and a slight tap to unloosen it. The speed dial was easier. There is a small insert in the centre which 'just came out' and underneath there is a screw head - right hand thread.

photobizz

The bottom plate just unscrews using a jeweller's screwdriver or anything else that comes to hand. Beware the screws are small so remove in good light on a clear surface and store the screws safely in a clear envelope. Try to remember where you put the envelope when you come to replace the bottom!

Hope this helps.

I do have a 'spares or repairs' RC which I picked up for a song. Useful because I can play around with this as a learning tool!

charjohncarter
10-17-2007, 09:01
Thanks, jesse1dog. That helps, especially the left hand screw knowledge.

jesse1dog
10-17-2007, 12:05
Couldn't find this to start with but useful!!

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-134.html

erikhaugsby
10-17-2007, 12:34
I wouldn't mind buying the right tool but I don't know what its name is. Any help for photobizz and myself?
I think it's called a Spanner, often used to remove the retainer rings in lenses.

photobizzz
10-17-2007, 20:18
Thanks all, dosent seem too hard. Yes it is called a spanner wrench and you can buy them from microtools website but if you take a paperclip and cut it down with a pair of cutters and then place the piece in a pair of vice grips it should do the trick as long as you insure that you press firmly when turning so as not to scratch the finish. Good to know about the left hand thread though. I was a mechanic before the Army so usually I can be pretty handy but dont like getting into any jobs with really small pieces without some prior insight as they can tend to dissapear if you are not prepared.

Kim Coxon
10-17-2007, 23:49
Another method is to grind the tips of long nosed pliers. ;)
Also make sure you do it os something like a sheet of white cloth. I have spend far too many hours on my knees looking for the dam screw that jumped off the table. :bang:

Kim

vicmortelmans
10-18-2007, 01:48
I think it's called a Spanner, often used to remove the retainer rings in lenses.

I succeeded in removing the speed dial screw and self-timer screw by using a pair of scissors... It's worth the try if you don't have an adjustable spanner, but be careful not to apply brute force, because if you slip out of the holes, you'll most probably scratch something.

Groeten,
Vic

RobScumaci
02-22-2008, 19:05
Where did you get the replating done and how did it come out?