PDA

View Full Version : OT - Hats?

rogue_designer
09-25-2007, 07:23
I've seen threads on watches, fountain pens, notebooks and other accoutrements.

I couldn't find any specifically on hats.

For my birthday last weekend, my girlfriend took me to an old school haberdashery where I ended up with a Biltmore President fedora in Black Oak.

Far and away the nicest hat I have ever owned.

Anyone else wear/collect/enjoy a good hat or three? (define good however you please - rainproof, expensive, pretty, jaunty, etc.)

(crummy pic - the digi doesn't do well in my kitchen without daylight)
http://www.rogue-designer.com/newhat_sm.jpg

Gumby
09-25-2007, 09:29
Very nice.

Morca007
09-25-2007, 11:37
I'd like to buy myself a nice brown felt Fedora someday.

Ken Ford
09-25-2007, 20:21
We've talked about our Tilley fetishes before, too.

gb hill
10-13-2007, 18:38
Nice looking hat. Makes you look like a gentleman....maybe because it covers up the horns.:D For hats I have a collection of golf/driving hats what ever one perfers to call them.

rogue_designer
10-14-2007, 20:40
Nice looking hat. Makes you look like a gentleman....maybe because it covers up the horns.:D

That is a bonus it's true. I scare fewer people with the horns covered up. ;)

I've been wearing the hat almost daily since the temperature started dropping below 60 degrees... I get a good number of compliments, but mostly I just like it. I think I'll buy a slightly less expensive one for more inclement weather (probably in black too, to mix it up a bit) - and then stop for a while.

Next step - bring back classier clothes. No more baggy pants in the workplace.

Slipkid
10-14-2007, 20:55
I have a large number of hats, though I'll wear just one most of the time, until it shrinks too much from the rain, or fades too much to be respectable...Main reason I wear one is so I have a place to put my Oakleys when I'm using my M's...the M2/M3 will scratch the polycarbonate lens, while the M6s won't...But I get a much better sight picture...er, viewfinder image, without the shades...:D

Cheers,
AJ

photobizzz
10-14-2007, 21:18
I actually have a dark green wool fedora myself. My wife thinks I am silly, but I also smoke a pipe, I guess I was born in the wrong generation...but I am glad I have all the electonic widgets of this one!

jmilkins
10-14-2007, 21:37
I have a great green fedora that i bought in a thrift shop for $4. Now I need a FSU FED too!

Bit of a disadvantage with hats is remebering to take 'em of when you use a wide angle...try wearing a hat with a CV15!

Keith
10-15-2007, 00:38
I sleep in mine ... just joking!

I had to laugh when Frank Granovski's site refered to my hat as the 'Crocodile Dundee Pimp Version' ... I can't take that man too seriously I'm afraid! :p

rover
10-15-2007, 03:32
As I buzz my hair to the shortest possible length which still can be considered hair, hats are a necessity. To keep me warm, and unburned.

I am going to Florida this week, hope to find a nice sun hat for use on the golf course.

jamiewakeham
10-15-2007, 03:33
Tilleys are the way forward... even I can't kill mine.

Al Patterson
10-15-2007, 04:16
I have a brown Indiana Jones hat to match my brown leather jacket I wear during the colder months.

I do wear my RFF cap sometimes in the summer to keep the sun out of my eyes.

bean_counter
10-15-2007, 05:16
In the winter, I always wear a hat - a wool tweed Scottish drop brim; a golf/driving cap for cooler spring/fall weather. Baseball caps in the hot.

I also do some living history/reenactments (usually American Civil War); I have some VERY nice hats for that. There's huge difference between wool felt and fur felt.

I also smoke a pipe; my wife says a was born an old man...

css9450
10-15-2007, 07:12
I never used to wear hats even back when I had long hair; now I won't go outside without one! As for the hats themselves, well, baseball caps are the best. I must have about 20 White Sox hats including a couple that are approaching 25 years old.

oftheherd
10-15-2007, 07:40
Hats, not really. I have been wanting one even though my wife thinks it would be silly. Baseball caps? Wouldn't leave home without one.

mikeh
10-15-2007, 07:57
I have a charcoal fedora with a black band that I just love despite the Al Capone comments.

Fausto
10-15-2007, 08:53
Hats for men are tricky these days. They elicit mirthful comments from co-workers. They make your hair go weird. You have to carry them around when you go inside.

I'm glad the ubiquitous baseball cap seems to be disappearing, especially the backward one.

I recommend a crushable straw fedora (tan) for summertime sporting events - you can roll it up and stick it in your bag.

Black fedoras can look a little Hasidic, or very dressy. Brown, grey, green might be better.

I like a nice black beret, with sunglasses. Too bad I don't smoke, that's a good look.

Tried on an Indiana Jones hat a couple of weeks ago - the girlfriend loved it! Might have to get one.

mikeh
10-15-2007, 09:11
LOL, Fausto; you're right about black fedoras looking Hasidic. I had one and had to live with comments like "Hi I'm Crazy Joe! My curtain prices are so low, I must be crazy!!"

Fausto
10-15-2007, 09:23
Mikeh -

Strangely, years ago I had this green felt fedora with a wide brim, and people still said it looked Hasidic.

So I go with the beret. What can they mistake me for, a French philosopher?

RHaroldP
10-15-2007, 09:35
I wore a variety of hats during my school days. Now I the only time I wear hat is when I drive my convertible with the top down. (Which is the majority of the time). The sun seems to shine above the windshield frame, directly into my eyes. A baseball cap does a good job of shading my eyes. But the cap gets in the way when doing photography, especially vertical shots. So, rather than wear it backwards, I leave the cap in the car.

Richard

Fausto
10-15-2007, 09:50
Sure, baseball caps have their uses. But when you're in jacket & tie, general business attire, they just don't look right.

Last January I got a cold weather hat from furhatworld.com.

Not suitable for PETA members.

Spider67
10-15-2007, 10:30
Got 7 Fedoras. 3 of them are Borsalinos. Two of those I found new and for 10 $ each om sale.....those I like the most. I like the classic aura they emit just like the Leicas...

Spider67
10-15-2007, 10:34
Mikeh -

Strangely, years ago I had this green felt fedora with a wide brim, and people still said it looked Hasidic.

So I go with the beret. What can they mistake me for, a French philosopher?

It's strange with a Fedora People think that I am Jewish. And this happems in Vienna were the eagerness of some people to identify you as Jewish gives you the creeps. At least it has it's funny side when a young, slightly drunken frenchman on the search for his Jewish roots asked me for spiritual guidance.
Still not wearing my hats is not an Option!

mikeh
10-15-2007, 10:55
It seems there is a relationship with a love of early Leicas and fedoras....maybe we're subconciously trying to relive our childhoods?
I still get a lump in my throat when I hear Jiminy Cricket sing "When You Wish Upon a Star...."

sherm
10-15-2007, 10:56
Did you get that one at Optimo hats on the South Side??? If you're into hats and haven't been there..... don't go!! Candyland indeed.

harry01562
10-15-2007, 11:29
Got 7 Fedoras. 3 of them are Borsalinos. Two of those I found new and for 10 $ each om sale.....those I like the most. I like the classic aura they emit just like the Leicas...

I got my first Borsalino when I was a teen, and that's almost 60 years ago.
At that time, and since, I've felt (no pun) they are one of the best hats in the world. However, only suitable for a dress up wear, my Tillies fill in for the sportier occasions. Of course, I'm an old fart....:angel:

Harry

Spider67
10-15-2007, 11:54
heureka! there's the connection!
Borsalinos and Leicas are connected by the outcry: "How can ypu pay so much for a hat/camera!"

and by the fact that they are sometimes not recognized and sold cheaply to be found by those who recognzed their quality

Morca007
10-15-2007, 12:11
I'd like to find a haberdashery and get one fitted, but that seems to be out of the question, location-wise. Any advice buying a hat online?

KoNickon
10-15-2007, 13:59
For some reason I buy hats but I rarely wear them -- I just can't comfortable with them on for any length of time. And they muss the hair. But in cold weather a fleece ski cap is most welcome.

Baseball hats worn inside -- one of my pet peeves. Tilleys seem practical, but they scream North American retiree tourist, sorry to say.

Keith
10-15-2007, 15:23
To my way of thinking ... and I'm sorry if this offends anyone ... but a baseball cap is a poor excuse for a hat and I wouldn't be seen dead in one!

There ... I've said it ... flame away! :p

rogue_designer
10-15-2007, 15:38
but a baseball cap is a poor excuse for a hat and I wouldn't be seen dead in one!

I'm with you...

And here in the heart of Cubs country, the ball cap is as ubiquitous as baggy jeans. I cringe every time I walk through wrigleyville.

Style isn't uncomfortable or expensive ... and you don't have to look like a slob just because you're not at work. *shakes fist*

bcostin
10-15-2007, 15:57
I like wearing hats. In the summer I usually wear a broad-brimmed hat, either cloth or straw. When the weather gets cooler I have a couple crushable felt fedoras and a broad oliled leather hat for snow or rain. For especially windy weather I have a nice Donegal tweed cap that I found at a rummage sale for a dollar.

I also found a genuine pith helmet at that same rummage sale. It looks great for hot summer weather but I haven't had the courage to wear it in public. :)

ray_g
10-15-2007, 17:15
As I buzz my hair to the shortest possible length which still can be considered hair, hats are a necessity. To keep me warm, and unburned.

I am going to Florida this week, hope to find a nice sun hat for use on the golf course.
I you haven't already, check out Delmonico's (http://www.delmonicohatter.com/) in New haven. It's a nice old-fashioned hat shop.

When I got a hat there last year, it was a really nice experience, especially in this day of online buying. A knowledgeable elderly gentleman helped me with the selection and fitting. And their prices are not far from what you'd pay online.

rover
10-15-2007, 17:31
Yes, I do have a Delmonico's hat!!!! I think I may have dealt with the owner's son when I made my purchase. I should go down again before long to see what they have to keep my bean warm this winter.

gb hill
10-15-2007, 17:48
My wife actually told me one time that wearing a hat makes you look like a photographer, and by not wearing a hat people might take you for a pervert with a camera. I just took it as only a woman could come up with a statement like that.:rolleyes: I must add that my wife has a college education and I don't.:D But every since she said that I leave the house wearing my hat.

Ken Ford
10-15-2007, 18:50
I you haven't already, check out Delmonico's (http://www.delmonicohatter.com/) in New haven. It's a nice old-fashioned hat shop.

A hat made out of nicely marbled meat?

smiling gecko
10-15-2007, 19:44
hats...ooooooohh...:p :D :p

my wife's line is: "what you're buying/bought another hat?" (...camera, pen, etc) :p she is the soul of practicality...i could (and have) learned a alot about that and many other good things from her.

living in central texas where we have about 10 1/2 months of summer i almost always leave the house with a cowboy hat or panama or reed/palm broad-brimmed hat (or baseball style cap). too, too many years outdoors have left my skin more sun sensitive. i really like being outside, but i don't like the outside beating me down, so hello hats and long-sleeve shirts. :) i like the look and style of "most" of what would be called western wear. for me that includes cowboy hats. i like the look and how i feel when i wear one.

there are few miscellaneous "gimme hats"/baseball style hats, there's the black beaver cowboy hat i got married in, my "indiana jones" hat, a black beret from my army days, and a few others.

some of my favorites are the straw and palm - what i call - mexican range hats...boy, do they have broad brims. whenever i'm using a camera with a waist level view finder i find the over-hang of the brim really helpful creating a sort-of focussing cloth shade - making it easier to see the viewfinder.

if i'm going to be be on a boat, on a pier or on a horse the hat o' the day/chapeau de jour will usually have a stampede strap to keep it from flying away...my big brother once "saved" one strapless hat with a big silver spoon lure. it blew off my head while we were at the end of a pier on the gulf coast and started to float away. he made a sharpshooter of a cast, nailed it and retreived it for me. it was a little worse for the experience, but it still fit - made a string strap and that was that.

i buy all brands from "whatever" to store brands to turner to stetson.

on my recent return to beslan, russia i wore a a very, very light tan (almost white) straw stetson. i wasn't too worried about trying to blend in...at 6'5" and 260 i 'd have to wear a ghillie suit not to be noticeable. :p it was just how i usually dress and i didn't mind the visibility. i was over there trying to continue to help the healing process (through my non-profit organization, NEVER FORGET BESLAN, www.neverforgetbeslan.org & www.neverforgetbeslan.com).

if i'm recognized as an american (the headwear of usa olympic athletes is the - the cowboy hat) while i'm doing this, all the better. maybe i can provide a small positve image of america, maybe not. it may not change how america is viewed one whit...it may. i'm the the eternal optimist. btw, i don't think americans hold the patent or franchise on reaching out and caring for people in need. i hope i didn't give that impression. wherever disasters occur in the world the response is always from many, many, many countries. i hope other communities in other countries will reach out (again) to beslan and in what will be an ongoing recovery process for many generations.

WOW!! have i ever drifted on this one. :eek: i apologize for the drift here. :o this ain't hyde park, put away the soap box. :o

we were talking about hats :D :p :D

thanks to everyone that waded through this stream of consciousness in my many islands in the stream.

(psssst: i' m staying, i really like fuji apples, the most recent d-r-a-m-a, and boy are you guys and gals here at rff tolerant of long-winded, run-on sentence writing, beat-your-own-drum lowercase hunt-and-peck posters - like me. :)

breathe, relax, and enjoy!!

kenneth lockerman
NEVER FORGET BESLAN
www.neverforgetbeslan.org
www.neverforgetbeslan.com

Burkey
12-02-2007, 08:04
I only love hats when they are needed for weather. A very cool ball cap with the Voigtlander logo on it for rain. (Origin a very long story.) And in Vermont winters the only really sensable alternative is a "Stormy Kromer".
Ball caps worn by others with the gold label still attached to the perfectly straight brim only helps me realize how old I am.

crawdiddy
12-02-2007, 08:18
Despite my avatar, I usually don't wear any type of hat. I began wearing a baseball type cap to avoid some harsh baking sunlight (Dallas TX), when outside. I also hike in the desert southwest, and I found that the baseball cap doesn't quite cut it out there. It's fine for your face, but not your neck. So I use a straw cowboy hat for that purpose. My wife thinks I look ridiculous. Oh well. She usually doesn't go hiking with me anyway.

ClaremontPhoto
12-02-2007, 08:27
I wear a black flat cap with a very discrete 'Leica' pin when I feel in the mood.

Here's Ze when he borrowed it:

rpsawin
12-02-2007, 11:05
To my way of thinking ... and I'm sorry if this offends anyone ... but a baseball cap is a poor excuse for a hat and I wouldn't be seen dead in one!

There ... I've said it ... flame away! :p

Keith,

I agree. I don't wear them because I look like a fool in one. All I can say is at least I admit it...btw turning the damn things 90 or 180 degrees does not help.

Bob

rpsawin
12-02-2007, 11:08
I wear a black flat cap with a very discrete 'Leica' pin when I feel in the mood.

Here's Ze when he borrowed it:

Yes! a right smart topping if I may say so. I wear a black Doria when it's cold. With the flat brim it does not interfere with shooting.

Bob

ClaremontPhoto
12-02-2007, 11:09
I do have a very nice Beretta brand baseball cap that a guy in a local gun store gave me.

ClaremontPhoto
12-02-2007, 11:10
And a posh genuine Panama for sunny days.

ghostganz
12-02-2007, 12:17
This thread reminds me of the man I saw last winter at a subway station. A black Leica around his neck, possibly black tape on it too, for that perfect inconspicious look. And a gigantic wide-brimmed hat, that made him really stand out from the crowd. :D

As for me, I use a cap. Not the baseball kind, but a newsboy cap. It does elicit a few comments from co-workers. :cool:

ash13brook
12-02-2007, 13:24
Rogue, did you go to Hats Plus? If you didn't, you gotta!

My hair is cut in a flat top. So I don't get burnt, I wear a Tilley in the summer to fish in. It can be washed, filled with water and poured over your head, and has a strap so it stays on while I'm hanging on for dear life when my son is screaming down the lake at 55mph.

In late fall through early spring I wear a Bailey Baker in brown. I've had "Indiana Jones comments", which I ain't fond of, but I like the hat, so I deal with them.

At work, I wear a newsboy type.
For years I didn't realize how cold I was getting.

But, to me, hats are a little addictive.
Hmm...maybe I need a new one...

The downside for me is that a hat seems to always be in my way while shooting, so I usually leave it behind and just get cold, spending my day regretting it. Maybe just the excuse to start carrying a flask of anti-freeze. Also, few restaurants have anywhere to put a hat.

jmooney
12-02-2007, 14:00
I'm a hat fan too. I have a few no name crushable wool hats and my current favorite, the Filson Shelter Cloth Packer Hat:

Morca007
12-02-2007, 14:27
I've been loving my new fedora for the past month, wearing it most everywhere, very useful for the rain and the cold.

thomasw_
12-02-2007, 14:50
Accept no substitute: Failsworth (http://www.failsworth-hats.co.uk/mensHats.php?hat=cambridge&nav=mensThumbs) Wool Caps!

Chris101
12-02-2007, 15:03
I clicked the old fogey option. That said, I DO own a hat - a big one at that, which I use occasionally because I live in sun-drenched Arizona. But I'd never keep it on as a fashion statement!

It does second duty though. I can put my Leica under it in the front seat of my car, so the camera isn't seen when I park.

Keith
12-02-2007, 15:50
My very faithfull hat which you see in my avatar is now coming to it's life's end I supect. I've had it for over twenty years and because I wear it constantly when outside working it needs the occasional wash or it starts to get a little funky.:eek: The latest trip through the wash machine was not good ... there's daylight showing through the crown and generally it's staring to fall apart.

When it eventually disintegrates and has to be replaced I'll probably need councelling! :p

sepiareverb
12-02-2007, 15:57
I have a few that I wear, although the regular wool 'watch cap' is my preferred hat these days as the others tend to get in the way of an M when shooting. I've a great FIlson hat, the one that folds down to turn into a hood-
http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2092421&cp=2069836.2064999.2075097&parentPage=family
warm as toast in even the worst of weather, and a nice small brim Stetson I wear mostly in the fall. Summer I wear a big straw hat I got at a pow-wow in New Mexico.

Keith- I had a straw hat for many years that was such a companion. Buried it in the slab of my house when we poured the concrete. The straw hat I replaced it (above) with is just beginning to show signs of wear, and now that I live here in New England, any chance of a real pow-wow involves a long road trip.

rogue_designer
12-02-2007, 16:36
Rogue, did you go to Hats Plus? If you didn't, you gotta!

The downside for me is that a hat seems to always be in my way while shooting, so I usually leave it behind and just get cold, spending my day regretting it. Maybe just the excuse to start carrying a flask of anti-freeze. Also, few restaurants have anywhere to put a hat.

Yup - my hat is from Hat's plus - and I'm thinking I'll get another one soon - one that I don't mind so much if it gets shat upon by Chicago winters.

You're right about it sometimes being a pain. Restaurants usually don't have anywhere to put them anymore. When driving, I can't keep it on without hitting the roof of the car.

But I at least don't seem to find it in my way while shooting.

projectbluebird
01-23-2008, 23:34
I've got a nice gray fedora. It goes well with my (authentic) navy pea coat, and a nice vintage camera slung over the shoulder. Oddly enough, I got the hat because of a camera. My friends bought it as a joke when I was using the 4x5 speed graphic. Joke's on them now, I've worn it so much I need to start looking for a replacement. It's also a good excuse to keep my hair short. When I start getting hat hair, it's time for a trim. While we're OT, how many still go to a "real" barber? I do!

In restaurants, I usually put it in the empty chair or, lacking any other space over my knee.

projectbluebird
01-23-2008, 23:48
I have a camera to make photos, not appear in them!
This is the only picture I can find that has my hat in it.

Freakscene
01-24-2008, 01:07
I occasionally ponder if Western civilisation ended when men stopped wearing hats.

rover
01-24-2008, 01:25
I want one of those Afghan wool hats as seen in a photo of Steve McCurry in the back of National Geographic this month.

Al Patterson
01-24-2008, 02:36
I occasionally ponder if Western civilisation ended when men stopped wearing hats.

I think it ended when men decided it was OK to wear a hat indoors. I know if I had tried to wear a baseball cap in a restaurant when I was a kid, my father would have slapped the hat off of my head.

And don't get me started about the moron at the next table blabbing his useless horse pucky on his cell phone while I'm eating.

People have no manners anymore, we have become a society without class.

W Morgan
01-24-2008, 03:01
Six black baseball caps, all with a 'military break-down'.

Try & find a baseball cap without a logo...

polaski
01-24-2008, 04:19
Baseball hats without logos can be found at JJ Hat in NYC. So can fedoras. (You can get a top hat there, if you wish.)

www.jjhatcenter.com/

The real kick is going actually going there.

W Morgan
01-24-2008, 05:07
Baseball hats without logos can be found at JJ Hat in NYC. So can fedoras. (You can get a top hat there, if you wish.)

www.jjhatcenter.com/ (http://www.jjhatcenter.com/)

The real kick is going actually going there.

Thanks, Polaski - actually I just go to small shops that do team embroidery & whatnot and buy a "blank"...

visiondr
01-24-2008, 06:50
Wear hats all you like. Make them part of your daily wardrobe.
But If I ever see you in a restaurant eating with your hat on (even a fast food joint), I'll immediately conclude that you're a boor and have no idea about basic manners.

visiondr
01-24-2008, 07:18
I realize I'm tilting at windmills here. In the casual - I don't dive a damn what you think - times we live in, old fashioned or quaint ideas of civil behavior are just about lost. Then again, as long as we treat each other civilly, I guess that's what matters.

Now, back to hats...

rogue_designer
01-24-2008, 07:50
There was a great sign in a Pool hall I liked (sadly closed now).

"Gentlemen will remove their hats. Everyone else must."

My dad grabbed a shot of me in my hat over the last weekend.
http://www.streetlevel-photography.com/Liam_Wall_08.jpg

Peter_Jones
01-24-2008, 07:59
I reckon a hat is a lot more sociable than those nuisance umbrellas - ever been poked in the eye by one ? It smarts. :mad:

I like to wear a hat (Aussie style waxed cotton) whenit's raining heavily, but I feel self-conscious in one. People are too used to seeing baseball caps at odd angles, anything else gets odd looks.

visiondr
01-24-2008, 10:21

Great quote and great shot. You look very cool. Somehow this photo needs a lit cigarette in one hand and a haughty, curvy dame at your side. ;)

sherm
01-24-2008, 10:37

Rogue,

Great picture!! I know that we talked about it earlier but, hats can evoke GAS just like cameras so....... here's the link to Optimo when you are ready for your next one or maybe a "summer straw" http://www.optimohats.com/

Keep wearing them!!

kuzano
01-24-2008, 11:19
And since I have a lot of camera's I have a lot of hats.

When I take my Holga abroad, I have one of those clown hats with the upturned brim
and red ball at the top.

When I take my Leica out, I have a reproduction of the Pope's mitre.

In between, I have a cowboy hat or three, a dark blue wool Ivy League cap, half a dozen baseball caps... One is so well worn the cap is blue but the bill is black with finger oil.

The Ivy league is great because it's relatively warm, stately looking, and when I put my camera up to my eye, I automatically flip it, bill to the back, looking somewhat like Barney Oldfield at speed, or one of the bowery boys.

projectbluebird
02-19-2008, 00:56
I keep meaning to get a shot of me in my hat for this thread... and forgetting. So instead I've done up a little sketch of me with all my apparel from another era.

From top to bottom:
fedora (grey w/black band)
Leica M3 w/50 'lux v1
Navy pea-coat authentic
Billilngham Hadley pro, not exactly vintage, but built to last!

Not pictured:
1920's rolled silver redipoint pencil (one of several) usually in my pocket.
Used to draw this picture, incidentally.

-edit-
I liked it so much, it's now my avatar!

rover
02-19-2008, 02:35
one of the bowery boys.

Sunday mornings, NY channel 5 or 9, I forget.

After church we would watch Abbott & Costello, the Bowery Boys, Creature Feature and Tarzan.

Nobody my age remembers the Bowery Boys, that was my childhood leading into a big Sunday family meal.

Rick Waldroup
02-19-2008, 04:49
I want one of those Afghan wool hats as seen in a photo of Steve McCurry in the back of National Geographic this month.

I have one of those, straight from Afghanistan. My daughter's boyfriend is stationed there and I made him send me one.

Every now and then, I wear it out in public just to freak the family out....;)

Rick Waldroup
02-19-2008, 05:03
The only hat I really ever wear is a freebie given out at a Dallas Cowboys football game, over 15 years ago.

People have seen me wearing it so many times that it was actually returned to me two different times when I lost it.

It has been washed so many times and it is so faded but it keeps on living. I don't know if it will ever die.

craygc
02-19-2008, 06:18
i shave my head so I need something to cover it if Im outside for extended periods. However, I cant stand photographing while wearing anything with a brim - I always lose shots that I perceive to be a vertical as the camera hits the brim as I lift it to my eye. These days I usually go out with a bandanna, much easier!

nksyoon
02-19-2008, 07:12
Stanley Greene in Perpignan.

http://www.noorimages.com/index.php?id=stanleygreene

etrigan63
02-19-2008, 07:14
I wear baseball caps but would truly like a nice well-made brown fedora. The trick is finding one in my size (macrocephalic git that I am).

bmattock
02-19-2008, 07:41
On hats:

Popular hat styles for men include caps, fedora, cowboy, toque, beret, and flat cap (aka driver's cap).

First of all, a baseball cap is properly worn, if one must wear them, with the bill forward, as it was designed (to keep the sun out of a baseball player's eyes). Habitually wearing them backwards outside of the age of college boys is saying to the world - hey look, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the warning, though. I do appreciate that part.

A fedora is a hat style. A Stetson is a brand, its style is 'cowboy'. Get it right. And while I'm on the subject of personal dress and misuse of terms, 'khaki' is a color - the pants style is called 'chino'. One has a pair of chinos in khaki, not a pair of khakis. And the beard style so popular with geeks and nerds is not a 'goatee' but a 'Van Dyke'. A goatee does not have the mustache connected to the beard. A Van Dyke does. Again, get it right. OK, end of rant there.

The best fedoras are properly made by Borsalino. They also make very nice flat caps.

Because I am an uncouth American with very little sense of style or fashion, I normally wear a baseball cap, and when I am about to turn my camera lengthwise to portrait orientation, I spin my baseball cap around and wear it like a lout.

In the winter in Michigan, I often have to wear a touque. No worries, my wife knitted it for me from Alpaca and it is quite warm. No brim to get in the way of the camera.

I have a nice fedora and a flat cap, both made by Borsalino, which I wear when it makes sense to do so.

I am quite bald, so wearing a hat is more-or-less an imperative.

I would not wear a beret if I were given the choice between it and a painful sunburn on top of my head. People who wear berets by choice (and not as part of a military or police uniform) should be shot out of canons into the nearest large body of water.

All other hat choices are acceptable. I wish the fez would make a comeback. I look stunning in a fez.

My list of baseball caps is quite large, but I prefer the khaki-colored one which I got at Gettysburg College, which lists the name of their sports team - the Bullets. It gives peaceniks conniptions, which is just a positive for me.

Rick Waldroup
02-19-2008, 08:43
On hats:

Popular hat styles for men include caps, fedora, cowboy, toque, beret, and flat cap (aka driver's cap).

First of all, a baseball cap is properly worn, if one must wear them, with the bill forward, as it was designed (to keep the sun out of a baseball player's eyes). Habitually wearing them backwards outside of the age of college boys is saying to the world - hey look, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the warning, though. I do appreciate that part.

A fedora is a hat style. A Stetson is a brand, its style is 'cowboy'. Get it right. And while I'm on the subject of personal dress and misuse of terms, 'khaki' is a color - the pants style is called 'chino'. One has a pair of chinos in khaki, not a pair of khakis. And the beard style so popular with geeks and nerds is not a 'goatee' but a 'Van Dyke'. A goatee does not have the mustache connected to the beard. A Van Dyke does. Again, get it right. OK, end of rant there.

The best fedoras are properly made by Borsalino. They also make very nice flat caps.

Because I am an uncouth American with very little sense of style or fashion, I normally wear a baseball cap, and when I am about to turn my camera lengthwise to portrait orientation, I spin my baseball cap around and wear it like a lout.

In the winter in Michigan, I often have to wear a touque. No worries, my wife knitted it for me from Alpaca and it is quite warm. No brim to get in the way of the camera.

I have a nice fedora and a flat cap, both made by Borsalino, which I wear when it makes sense to do so.

I am quite bald, so wearing a hat is more-or-less an imperative.

I would not wear a beret if I were given the choice between it and a painful sunburn on top of my head. People who wear berets by choice (and not as part of a military or police uniform) should be shot out of canons into the nearest large body of water.

All other hat choices are acceptable. I wish the fez would make a comeback. I look stunning in a fez.

My list of baseball caps is quite large, but I prefer the khaki-colored one which I got at Gettysburg College, which lists the name of their sports team - the Bullets. It gives peaceniks conniptions, which is just a positive for me.

I can just imagine you in a fez......

KoNickon
02-19-2008, 09:13
The Gettysburg Bullets? Really? Not the Minie Balls?

Anyway, seeing a ballcap worn inside (like at a restaurant) drives me nuts. Usually it's worn by some guy who's old enough to know better; usually it has a golfing logo on it. The guy might, to really complete the look, have his Bluetooth headset growing out of his ear.

A coworker and I were discussing hats the other day. He had no idea what a fedora was. It took a few minutes for him to know what I meant. But then, he's in his early 30s and doesn't remember the old days when all men who worked in offices had a brimmed hat they wore every day.

rogue_designer
02-19-2008, 09:20
A coworker and I were discussing hats the other day. He had no idea what a fedora was. It took a few minutes for him to know what I meant. But then, he's in his early 30s and doesn't remember the old days when all men who worked in offices had a brimmed hat they wore every day.

Age is no excuse. I'm in my early 30's too.

bmattock
02-19-2008, 10:06
They say that American men quit wearing hats as normal business attire when JFK took office - he notoriously took the Oath of Office sans chapeau.

The same was said about men wearing undershirts (as undershirts and not 't-shirts') - noticed to have dropped in popularity after Clark Gable removed his dress shirt in 1934's movie "It Happened One Night," and was revealed to be wearing nothing underneath.

Since the 1960's, beards on men outside of religious or academic circles has variously been seen as eccentric, revolutionary, or outlandish. Most polls indicate that people who wear beards are 'trusted less' by the general public. The British have a movement known as the "Beard Liberation Front." Of course.

Interestingly, the last time men commonly wore hats with suits as daily business attire, the most common hat style was the Trilby. These are hats not commonly seen today - the fedora is, but that wasn't popular in the '50s and '60s in the USA.

KoNickon
02-19-2008, 10:14
I have always seen a fair number of men at places I've worked wearing undershirts, so I don't see those going out of style very much. Never have worn them myself. Of course, since in today's no-necktie workplace you see the undershirt collar, that makes for another fashion no-no.

MikeCassidy
02-19-2008, 10:16
I get skin cancer so I wear hats; I dont love them though.

bmattock
02-19-2008, 10:18
I have always seen a fair number of men at places I've worked wearing undershirts, so I don't see those going out of style very much. Never have worn them myself. Of course, since in today's no-necktie workplace you see the undershirt collar, that makes for another fashion no-no.

That was not considered a fashion no-no at the time. In fact, if a gentleman opened his shirt collar (usually done when not in mixed company or at home), a white undershirt was considered normal to be seen peeking out - chest hair was gauche.

bmattock
02-19-2008, 10:22
I get skin cancer so I wear hats; dont love though.

That's too bad on both counts! :(

Hats are an acceptable ornamentation for men - one of the few ways we get to differentiate ourselves from the herd of khaki-and-polo-shirt-wearing mopes seen sporting goatees (actually Van Dykes) in every office across the US. A decent hat and a high-quality wristwatch should be required for promotion. If the best you can muster is a baseball cap and a Casio G-Shock, you get the unmarked parking space and no raise.

Hats are a great way to stand out! Put a hat on your head and be somebody!

maggieo
02-19-2008, 11:12
I love my French Army bush hat, which is usually only deployed for inclement weather and fishing. I'll wear a ballcap, but only when actually playing ball.

http://www.mediawench.com/maggie_island/hat.jpg

petebown
02-19-2008, 14:26
I'm not balding and I wouldn't say my hair-line is receding... It's already fallen out :(
When the sun is out my head gets badly burnt. I therefore have to wear a hat. Nothing to do with fashion, I just don't like having a sore head.

Pete

BillP
02-19-2008, 14:36

I'll warrant Borsalino are worthy of note, but of course they are new to the market, having only been around since 1857. I have one, bought in Venice. But they are not the attire of a gentleman. One should frequent James Lock, hatters to gentlemen since 1676, and still family-owned.

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/

A gentleman will also invest in a hat jack to ensure that his investment maintains it's shape, even after a soaking:

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Accessories-Hat_Jack-P172.aspx

And remember - black or gray in the City, green, brown or tweed in the Country. Only a parvenu or a scoundrel wears blue, of course.

Regards,

Bill

aad
02-19-2008, 14:37
I wear a Borsolino Verdi with a suit, which is every working day. After Memorial Day and before Labor Day, I wear a Panama by Borsolino.

I have a very large head-but they will be sure your hat fits. Try Delmonico Hatter-it's where I get mine.

wray
02-19-2008, 14:47
I have ten all cotton baseball hats - comfortable after washing a couple of times. Only one has a logo and that's a leftover from coaching high school soccer (football, really)!

bmattock
02-19-2008, 15:47
I'll warrant Borsalino are worthy of note, but of course they are new to the market, having only been around since 1857. I have one, bought in Venice. But they are not the attire of a gentleman. One should frequent James Lock, hatters to gentlemen since 1676, and still family-owned.

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/

A gentleman will also invest in a hat jack to ensure that his investment maintains it's shape, even after a soaking:

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Accessories-Hat_Jack-P172.aspx

And remember - black or gray in the City, green, brown or tweed in the Country. Only a parvenu or a scoundrel wears blue, of course.

Regards,

Bill

Thank you, Bill. Always good to compare notes with a gentleman. I've always referred to what you call a 'hat jack' as a 'hat block', but otherwise, I agree.

BillP
02-19-2008, 16:02
Always a pleasure, Bill

Regards,

Bill

visiondr
02-19-2008, 16:27
Bill, et al,
Have you been to or seen the website for John Helmer in Portland (my town). A hat shop, if I ever saw one.

http://www.johnhelmer.com/

bmattock
02-19-2008, 16:29
Bill, et al,
Have you been to or seen the website for John Helmer in Portland (my town). A hat shop, if I ever saw one.

http://www.johnhelmer.com/

I got mine at the Man's Hat Shop in Albuquerque, NM.

http://www.manshatshop.com

Where Arlo Guthrie and Don Imus get their hats too.

Of course, I used to live there - it was quite easy to drive over and say hey.

BillP
02-19-2008, 16:35
I think it would not be too OT to point out that a gentleman should also choose his umbrella supplier with care:

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/

I went to them some years ago when I needed a walking stick after an ankle injury. I came away with a green canopy gorse handled solid stick umbrella. The most impressive thing was that they sell them "unfinished". They cut them to length for the individual and finish and ferrule them while you wait. Since I am 6'3" this was the only way I could get something long enough and strong enough for my purposes.

It is a work of art, and built to last. Smiths of course maintain and repair their products, so this is a true investment.

Regards,

Bill

bmattock
02-19-2008, 16:46
I think it would not be too OT to point out that a gentleman should also choose his umbrella supplier with care:

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/

I went to them some years ago when I needed a walking stick after an ankle injury. I came away with a green canopy gorse handled solid stick umbrella. The most impressive thing was that they sell them "unfinished". They cut them to length for the individual and finish and ferrule them while you wait. Since I am 6'3" this was the only way I could get something long enough and strong enough for my purposes.

It is a work of art, and built to last. Smiths of course maintain and repair their products, so this is a true investment.

Regards,

Bill

This would be good if I used a 'brolly, but over here those of use raised in the West consider them a bit...eccentric. It rains. We get wet. Life goes on.

Now, for shoes... Alden of New England, of course. Black Wing Tip shell cordovan Oxfords. Suit - my one and only semi-bespoke suit - Samuelson. Super 130's wool, dark grey with a sotto voce striped pattern. Sad that my only fedora is brown...so it's a no-go with that suit.

rogue_designer
02-19-2008, 16:48
Of course... worrying about brand of hat is as silly as worrying about brand of camera. ;)

I like Borsalino and James Lock hats just fine - but like with Leica, I can rarely justify the cost. I'll stick with my Canon P - err... Biltmores and Dobbs for now.

I do need to get a spring hat. Maybe a lighter grey. Then a Monte Cristo panama fedora for summer...

visiondr
02-19-2008, 16:51
This would be good if I used a 'brolly, but over here those of use raised in the West consider them a bit...eccentric. It rains. We get wet. Life goes on.

Now, for shoes... Alden of New England, of course. Black Wing Tip shell cordovan Oxfords. Suit - my one and only semi-bespoke suit - Samuelson. Super 130's wool, dark grey with a sotto voce striped pattern. Sad that my only fedora is brown...so it's a no-go with that suit.

Dude,
Now that's good taste!

bmattock
02-19-2008, 16:52
Of course... worrying about brand of hat is as silly as worrying about brand of camera. ;)

I like Borsalino and James Lock hats just fine - but like with Leica, I can rarely justify the cost. I'll stick with my Canon P - err... Biltmores and Dobbs for now.

I do need to get a spring hat. Maybe a lighter grey. Then a Monte Cristo panama fedora for summer...

Oh, but what about a wristwatch? Makes the man, they say. My favorites run to the classics, just like cameras. My best watch, wear it with anything, is a 1953 Omega Seamaster bumper wind in stainless steel. Dress watch, Oris City (a modern, but mechanical movement). Love my Hamilton's and Elgin's too. If I wore a waistcoat, it would have a proper watch pocket and my grandfather's 1903 Elgin pocket watch in it.

bmattock
02-19-2008, 16:54
Dude,
Now that's good taste!

Hope so, I got married in it! I paid more for my suit than I have subsequently paid for good used cars. But those were different times. Family man's salary while a bachelor. Ah, memories.

rogue_designer
02-19-2008, 17:01
Oh, but what about a wristwatch? Makes the man, they say. My favorites run to the classics, just like cameras. My best watch, wear it with anything, is a 1953 Omega Seamaster bumper wind in stainless steel. Dress watch, Oris City (a modern, but mechanical movement). Love my Hamilton's and Elgin's too. If I wore a waistcoat, it would have a proper watch pocket and my grandfather's 1903 Elgin pocket watch in it.

Same deal. I like mechanical watches... but I'm not married to brand. I wear a Seiko 5 series because its a trustworthy, robust, accurate movement and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Would I upgrade to another movement/brand had I spare money? Probably, but it would have to be truly spare. I like the function and the aesthetic, not the brand. :)

edit:
Getting into some of these arena's now - Pens/Watches/Hats/Bespoke suits - are hitting them when society has deemed them luxury - rather than necessary. So I have to be more careful with my choices than perhaps I would had I started 20 or 40 years ago - Certainly from a cost perspective.

bmattock
02-19-2008, 17:11
Same deal. I like mechanical watches... but I'm not married to brand. I wear a Seiko 5 series because its a trustworthy, robust, accurate movement and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Would I upgrade to another movement/brand had I spare money? Probably, but it would have to be truly spare. I like the function and the aesthetic, not the brand. :)

edit:
Getting into some of these arena's now - Pens/Watches/Hats/Bespoke suits - are hitting them when society has deemed them luxury - rather than necessary. So I have to be more careful with my choices than perhaps I would had I started 20 or 40 years ago - Certainly from a cost perspective.

Wow, great minds think alike! This is my daily wear watch - just took it off, in fact.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2346/2278635518_10d570e18c.jpg

NickTrop
02-19-2008, 17:28
Aside from bad photography made with relic cameras, I LOVE to make my very own DIY "gentleman's chapeau" is what I call them...

... from ordinary household items.

For example, if one finds - say, an old ashtray around collecting dust, one merely has to fashion some fancy ribbons with a little apoxy to its underside, and tie it underneath the chin to secure your ashtray/chapeau. If you want to get fancy, you can add some lovely bows to the ashtry/chapeau.

Old beer cans, old cameras that don't work or you don't use - most anything can be made into a gentleman's chapeau! Alls you need is a little ribbon and your imagination!

bmattock
02-19-2008, 17:31
Aside from bad photograph, I LOVE to make my very own DIY "gentleman's chapeau" is what I call them...

... from ordinary household items.

For example, if one finds - say, an old ashtray around collecting dust, one merely has to fashion some fancy ribbons with a little apoxy to its underside, and use it to tie your ashtray/chapeau underneat the chin. If you want to get fancy, you can as some lovely bows to the ashtry/chapeau.

Old beer cans, old cameras that don't work or you don't use - most anything can be made into a gentleman's chapeau! Alls you need is a little ribbon and your imagination!

I find that old sweat socks can be hung imaginatively from my ears, held on by the stems of my glasses, which makes quite a fetching sight. And if there is a box, bag, or item of apparel I have not worn on my head like a hat at one time or another, I'm not aware of it. My wife had to explain to me - legholes, dear, not eyeholes. Hey, I was Spaceman Spiff for a moment there.

NickTrop
02-19-2008, 17:33
You get it! bmattock! I bet you were QUITE fetching - "Spaceman Spiff" (not that I'm qualified to judge such things, and not that there's anything wrong with that... you know what I'm attempting to articulate, none too well)

Alls you need is your imagination!

bmattock
02-19-2008, 17:41
You get it! bmattock! I bet you were QUITE fetching - "Spaceman Spiff" (not that I'm qualified to judge such things, and not that there's anything wrong with that... you know what I'm attempting to articulate, none too well)

Alls you need is your imagination!

My only job is to delight Mrs. Mattocks, and she says I do OK. Shame we are 800 miles apart at the moment....sigh.

robklurfield
12-23-2009, 16:20
a small sample. nearly all of them get worn, though some (the top hats) less often than others.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2081/3539029978_d56818793a.jpg

robklurfield
12-23-2009, 16:21
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2356/3538064279_4221c46422.jpg

robklurfield
12-23-2009, 16:23
I find that old sweat socks can be hung imaginatively from my ears, held on by the stems of my glasses, which makes quite a fetching sight. And if there is a box, bag, or item of apparel I have not worn on my head like a hat at one time or another, I'm not aware of it. My wife had to explain to me - legholes, dear, not eyeholes. Hey, I was Spaceman Spiff for a moment there.

Don't be a tease. Show us a pic of the those socks hung from the ears.

If your wife has half the patience mine does with my own brand of nonsense, she deserves elevation to something like sainthood.

bojanfurst
02-26-2010, 17:04
They never made a hat that looked okay on my head :( However, given where I live, I occasionally where a black fisherman's toque. Oddly enough, I just recently listened to Michel Enright on CBC's Sunday Edition talk about hats and hat movies. You can hear him if you scroll down a bit and press play on 'Hour One'. It's right at the beginning of the show - after the intros at about 4:10 mark:

http://www.cbc.ca/thesundayedition/shows/201002/20100214.html

Cheers...

bmasonoh
02-26-2010, 17:38
They say that American men quit wearing hats as normal business attire when JFK took office - he notoriously took the Oath of Office sans chapeau.

The same was said about men wearing undershirts (as undershirts and not 't-shirts') - noticed to have dropped in popularity after Clark Gable removed his dress shirt in 1934's movie "It Happened One Night," and was revealed to be wearing nothing underneath.

Since the 1960's, beards on men outside of religious or academic circles has variously been seen as eccentric, revolutionary, or outlandish. Most polls indicate that people who wear beards are 'trusted less' by the general public. The British have a movement known as the "Beard Liberation Front." Of course.

Interestingly, the last time men commonly wore hats with suits as daily business attire, the most common hat style was the Trilby. These are hats not commonly seen today - the fedora is, but that wasn't popular in the '50s and '60s in the USA.

You are a wealth of knowledge. I learned quite a few things in this thread. Thanks!

antistatic
02-26-2010, 17:49
I have a black Akubra Cattleman. An Australian classic. Keeps the sun off. Made from the tummy fur of fluffy bunnies.
http://www.akubra.com.au/products_country.html

helenhill
02-26-2010, 18:08
Moi in my favorite summer hat / a mans hat 'The Mare Panama'
from J.J. Hat Center NYC...

robklurfield
02-26-2010, 20:55
Helen, Great hat. Is JJ still in business or did they close their doors for good? Weren't they on the block where the new NY Times Bldg is now or do I have the wrong store?

My new favorite hat store is in New Orleans, Meyer, the Hatter. Wonderful place. Family business forever. The world of hats is not what it once was. Most of my favorites are vintage because it's hard to find a good men's hat at reasonable price anymore and the quality of some the best makers is not what it once was.

This is a hat from Meyer, nice rabbit fur felt. My favorites are Borsalino's from the 1940's. Nothing quite like them. I've also got some very cool Stetson's from that period and a little later. Nothing like a good hat.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2639/4220338541_2afd7dbea5.jpg

Moi in my favorite summer hat / a mans hat 'The Mare Panama'
from J.J. Hat Center NYC...

michaelshane
02-27-2010, 18:53
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2749/4393947586_d8d97b442f.jpg

kknox
02-27-2010, 19:06
I have a nice Black Borsalino fedora, adds a little class to whatever you wear.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/3545155598_9a4a5a9efe.jpg

Al Patterson
02-27-2010, 19:09
Somewhere, I have an RFF hat, from the prior owner's time. I have an Indian Jones type fedora, and a pair of Panama hats for summer.

Daily use is usually a free vendor hat from my computer days. Currently a "The Computer Is Personal Again", provided by HP while I was in Queens a while back.

I do need to get a cowboy hat, as I don't have one yet...

Al Patterson
02-27-2010, 19:16
I have a nice Black Borsalino fedora, adds a little class to whatever you wear.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/3545155598_9a4a5a9efe.jpg

Checked them out on the web. Nice, but a bit pricey. I'll stick with my brown one, as it matched my leather jacket.

Now, if I had a black jacket and a job...

paulfish4570
02-27-2010, 19:35
i sport a 2-inch snap-brim huckel, bought by my daughter in austria 14 years ago. it is a wreck from many days in the deer woods, yet still well worth wearing on cold days; very soft hand. i also have a woolrich crusher with 3-inch brim and a couple of crow feathers that gets a lot of wear.
oh yeah, both are brown. the huckel sort of a deer brown; the woolrich has almost an olive tinge ...

paulfish4570
02-27-2010, 19:38
that's a dandy, helen ...

paulfish4570
02-27-2010, 19:40
that is a fine collection, rob. my maternal grandfather favored a hat any time he was outside. he was a petit men, so none of his hats fit me. i don't have a big head; it's just that he was a slight fellow ...

paulfish4570
02-27-2010, 19:42
some of you fellows are slap natty ...

paulfish4570
02-27-2010, 19:59
you two bills (get it? bills? as in ballcaps?) are hilarious.

knox-dobbs used to have the "largest hat factory in the world" in cowan, tenn., where i grew up ...

my wife says i look fine in my fedora and crusher. can't beat a wife like that ...

edodo
04-15-2010, 06:09
I want a new panama for this summer. Anyone care to give experiences? I am interested in the Christys panamas right now because they are not that expensive and seems nicely made.

ChrisPlatt
11-29-2010, 09:07
No, thanks. I still have all my hair.

Chris

unixrevolution
11-29-2010, 10:20
I have a green felt hat I bought on a trip to Indiana. It's not the best quality, but I like the way it looks on me, it's good protection from the rain (it's water-resistant) and sun, and if I bring a camera up to my eye the hat is crushable enough to just get out of the way...I like that part of it the best.

This is me in the aforementioned Jaunty Hat(tm) as self-photographed on the way back from Indy.

The hat is significantly less green now, but is no less awesome.

The problem with today's society is that men don't wear proper hats anymore.

zumbido
11-29-2010, 10:23
Once it gets chilly, I add a bowler and scarf to my usual array of corduroy jackets and pinstriped sport coats. I have a couple hats for wear in warmer weather, but only when I'm planning to be out in the sun for a while on foot or boat.

dave lackey
11-29-2010, 10:53
My everyday/fishing hat in cooler weather, Orvis Field Trial hat:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82964&stc=1&d=1291056856

atlcruiser
11-29-2010, 13:03
this is just too much...

hats:
Tilley in 2 different colors for sun/hot weather
panama from Ecuador for dress up hot weather
Barbour tweed cap for around town cold weather
Barbour oil cloth trilby for wet weather
Filson wool stocking cap
Filson duck hat for fishing in cold weather

and last but not least........... the Elmer Fudd for cold weather

http://www.filson.com/images/products/detail/60040-main-640.jpg