PDA

View Full Version : Not a rangefinder camera but a viewfinder camera...

OlyMan
09-16-2007, 06:12
None the less, does anyone here use a original Trip 35?

I've just got back into into Trip ownership via the Bay of E. I had one previously but never used it so I sold it. For some reason I was attracted to this one on ebay because it was one of the earlier models with a silver release button (a bit of a sad reason but there you go :o ).

I quickly ran a 24-exp 400ASA film through it so that I could test the camera before leaving feedback. I'd forgotten just how well this batteryless wonder performed :cool: No scans, sadly, as I don't have a scanner :( Sharpness may not be in 35SP leagues but it's not remarkably far off. Of course being able accurately focus could close the gap. It's not duffed-up even one exposure either.

Does anyone else here use one?

Trius
09-16-2007, 07:16
GeneW had a Trip 35 and has some shots on flickr such as this one (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdnphoto/305255707/). Gene (Starbuckguy on flickr) gave the camera to me, but I have yet to put film through it. I'm heading out on the water in the canoe this afternoon, so I may just pop some C41 in and watch what happens. ;)

OlyMan
09-16-2007, 07:22
Don't fall in the water through concentrating more on the Trip than the canoe :eek: :D

Trius
09-16-2007, 07:43
LOL! I have never capsized this canoe (though others have)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1149/1388284663_c1257ccd26.jpg?v=0

and don't intend to!

OM-1n 50/1.4 Kodachrome

aad
09-16-2007, 07:56
I have one, and it's amazing. In fact, it's been part of an ongoing revelation about how crazy we as hobbyists can be. I mean, I've seen folks getting worked up about how important multizone auto-exposure/focus can be, but heck, it all seems to end up no better than a 30 year old "solar" powered budget P&S.

Bob G
09-16-2007, 08:13
I keep mine in my car. There are no batteries to go dead. For the flash, just follow the f-stop/guide number chart on a cheap flash.
If you look at the underside of the lens, there is a feet and/or meter scale.
I use a printed card I modified from one I found on the web, that lets me use my own two eyes as a rangefinder! I collect old cameras and many have "scale" focus.
Examples:
http://www.pbase.com/bgussin/stuff

OlyMan
09-16-2007, 08:19
aad, I think the fact is many of the 'brains' in modern cameras are there to compensate for the fact that everyday-consumers want a camera (be it film or digital) which they can pick up and get perfect shots 100% of the time without having to think about lighting, focussing or exposure. With that in mind, these newer wonders are a good thing. For those of us willing to put a bit of thought into our shots, it's no doubt very true we can get similar or even better results from cameras that are little more than a light-tight box holding a film, a shutter and a lens.

jesse1dog
09-16-2007, 08:22
I have just picked one up from Echo-Bay too. More out of curiosity although there are several rave posts here on RFF. Mine is a bit grubby and needs the seals seeing to so is a 'to do sometime' project - soon I guess. I was interested in its size and until I actually handled it hadn't realised how small it was. I think I will use it rather than the Pen S I have.

Welsh_Italian
09-16-2007, 08:40
I've bought a couple off the bay. The first had a loose lens barrel which curiously made the shots blurred if I didn't hold it while releasing the shutter. It didn't work so I got rid of it. The second one is a much better example and has been looked after very well. I'm still finishing the first roll to see what it turns out.

sweathog
09-16-2007, 09:22
Oh me, oh my, another Trip 35 thread. This just goes to show just how great these little beasties are. Lovely, (generally) reliable, small(ish) and oh so sexy.

I currently have three. One is an earlier one with metal button (one can more accurately gauge the date of the main body and the back, there's a link on this forum somewhere I think) which I have lent the other half, one is in very good condition and the third is in pieces because I got bored, and the lens didn't 'click' into place so I was going to try to fix it whilst at the same time looking inside these lovely beasts. Anyway, I knackered the shutter mechanism so I will get back to fixing that when I have more time.
A few of my Trip 35 shots can be found over here http://35mmtripping.blogspot.com/

mike_j
09-16-2007, 09:40
I have one which I bought new; haven't used it for years. Nice little camera I remember, bit limited like most family orientated snapshot cameras but very acceptable results within the limits of the metering system.

OlyMan
09-16-2007, 10:49
I have never tried any of the plastic-bodied later Trips, but I understand the results from them are not as good as the earlier models. In the UK, we had quite a famous advertising campaign for the original Trips featuring photographer David Bailey, though I don't think anyone has ever successfully established whether or not he actually used one for any of his assignments or personally. I do know he was a genuine fan of the OM System though.