PDA

View Full Version : Let's do a traveling camera project!

Pages : [1] 2 3

shadowfox
09-12-2007, 12:28
UPDATE:

February 2, 2011. Four years after the project was started, the final book was released (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1537404&postcount=585). Anyone who are interested can order the book and those who are curious can follow the project right here on this very thread. Thank you for those who followed along. And with this, the project is concluded.

As of May 28, 2009, the Little Oly II has arrived in Texas, now it's languishing in the hot Texas Summer sun for a good opportunity, carried around in my truck. I have found a perfect Texas style trinket though :) As for the project, now the tough part is over, the next part comes in: collecting the five photos from all participants.

As of April 22, 2009, the Little Oly II is nearing Texas, the end of its globe-trotting journey. Only a couple of hosts left and soon this project will come to an end. But.. let's see if chance doesn't throw another wrench into the gears :)

As of November 28, 2008, The original Ikkyu-san has been deemed lost somewhere in its journey to cross the Atlantic ocean. Wallace in Germany has graciously forward one of his 35 RC with incredible similarity to the original as the substitute (dubbed Little Oly II). And the project continues in the American continent.

As of July 24, 2008, Ikkyu-san has almost finished his tour in Europe. Ready to cross the pond, do the Atlantic fly-over, etc.

As of Jan 28, 2008, Ikkyu-san almost finished his tour in Asia and ready to head out to Europe. See the update pictures from Herman, Conrad, and Jon at the latest page at this point. Beware, lots of trinkets to behold... :eek:

As of Oct 15, 2007, the Little Oly is off to the second tour destination, Sydney, Australia. Don't miss Andrew's account on his week with Oly which can be found at page 5-ish of this thread.

Hi, welcome to the thread tha chronicles the "Little Oly's Big Adventure" project.

This kind of project as a huge source of fun and getting to know each other better.

Key phrase here is "GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER BETTER", which I think could have prevented some of the unpleasantness going on lately.

Now the fun part, what camera?

I'm volunteering my Olympus 35 RC. An all around favorite, tiny, all manual rangefinder with a Tessar-like Zuiko lens (for those of you who don't know).

I got it for free from Rich Silfver, so why not make it more precious by being the (I believe) first RC to travel the 6 Continents. We do have RFFers in Antartica, no? :D

The basics: Through a sign-up process, we'll come up with a list of participants. If you're a participant, you'll get the camera (no film) from another participant before you on the list. You then select your favorite film type, speed, whatever, and put a roll through the camera following the rules (see below). Then you develop, select (according to the rules below) and scan 5 pictures in the highest resolution available to you and send it to me. Clean up the camera, package it, and ship it to the next participant on the list.

Next, let's cook up some rules, chime-in please, any rules I come up with can be adjusted until it's finalized.

1. 20-ish participants spread around the globe (roughly 4 from each continent). I hope this can help the project to be done within a year, and hopefully we can capture different seasons in different parts of the world this way.

2. Each participant will submit 5 best pictures from their chosen type of film, this will net us 100 photos, perfect to bind it in a photobook (I'll put it together at the end of the project).

3. The 5 pictures submitted must obviously the most interesting of the roll (participants are welcome to spend up to one week and up to 2 rolls with the RC to come up with the best 5).

4. The 5 pictures must be: 1 of you and/or your family, 1 of your daily life (at work or at home), 1 or 2 of the interesting (which is not necessary the same as "famous") things your town/city/village are known for, and 1 or 2 creative/street/people/whatever shots.

5. The camera will ship from me to the first participant and ends with my turn to submit the 5 photos. I will then compile the photos into a book and make it available somehow both electronically and in print.

6. Participants will pay for the shipping cost to the next participant. This is the spirit of the community is built, the receiving participants may help with the shipping cost if it's overseas.

7. The 5 pictures have to be perfectly composed, following all the rules in the book, have the tonality that puts Ansel Adams to shame, and tell a story longer than all HCB's biographies put together.... NOT!!! :D (but everyone must have fun with it)

8. Each participant must post a report-posting in this thread when he or she is ready to send off the camera to the next participant. The report must contain your experience with the little RC and ONE (repeat: ONE) photo only of the five that your are going to submit. If you want, you may post more photo outside of the five submitted ones. The reason for this rule is to keep the interest high for other participants and spectators as the project progresses.

Some clarifications:

- The camera is all manual, I don't know if the battery works or not, so if you're not comfortable or dislike taking pictures manually, wait for other projects.
- Participants are welcome to use a battery, or fix it if it stopped working
- Participants are encouraged to put stickers on the back, dress it up, hang a cheap/tacky local souvenir on the lug, whatever.
- The self timer lever could be broken, I didn't try it because I'm afraid I'd break it, this is good, so participants need to be creative when taking the self-portrait.
- Although free, the camera is far from being worthless to me. I'm volunteering it for this project because I trust you gals and guys. I'd like to have the camera back with a (hi)story to tell.

Please :)

Ahoy! participants, Post #82 have some hands on to-do's for you. Please read it when you're not sure what to do.

PS: Curious on who are the participants? see post #76 in this thread.

Kim Coxon
09-12-2007, 12:46
Hi Will,
It's called pass the RF and it'd happening at the moment.
However, there are probably quite a few who missed out so by all means go for another if you want to organise it.

Kim

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35674
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4743
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35626

pesphoto
09-12-2007, 12:48
Nice idea, I'll sign up.

shadowfox
09-12-2007, 12:52
Hi Kim,

I just moved the thread to the Projects sub-forum.

Ok, I'll organize another one. Let's go guys and gals!

shadowfox
09-12-2007, 12:54
This post has been superceded by post #36 which contains the latest list.

Sorry for the roundabout.

Chris101
09-12-2007, 13:32
Although I am also in the US, I'd like to join! I did one of these with a disposable a couple years ago and it was a BLAST!!

shadowfox
09-12-2007, 13:53
Hi Chris, you're in (I'm updating the list in post #5).

If more people from the US would like to join, I'd probably would have to give a rain check, to give an opportunity for those of us who are still sleeping this time of the day on the other side of the world.

On the other hand if I had to give 17 rain checks, then this project could be RC across the USA. Wohoooo!!

Come on, Canada, and South America members!

gavinlg
09-12-2007, 13:58
Will, If you want to send it to Australia, I'm definitely in and possibly either Keith from Brisbane or Chris from Melbourne might be interested too.
Good choice of camera too!

shadowfox
09-12-2007, 14:02
Gavin, you're in. I'll wait for Keith and Chris to wake up :)

All, I'm kinda worried about people not wanting to join because of the costly shipping overseas, maybe we ought to setup some kind of shipping-cost pool where everyone chip in, to spread around the burden?

jaapdijks
09-12-2007, 14:03
I would want to be in.

Have been looking around on the site,
haven't posted any pictures yet, hope that's not a problem.

I'm in Holland

Jaap

shadowfox
09-12-2007, 14:09
Aha, our first Europe member! Welcome Jaap.

Now we start to get somewhere.

Bluesman
09-12-2007, 14:51
I´m in Sweden. I´d love to be in on this. Just make sure you declare the value of the camera at <10 USD to avoid the customs hassle...my full address via PM request.

Cheers /Richard, Malmö, Sweden

rover
09-12-2007, 15:51
Good luck!!!

You already have a few Yanks so I will watch and enjoy the project from the bench.

BJ Bignell
09-12-2007, 16:25
I'm on the list for the other Pass the RF event, but if you don't mind, sign me up for this one too!

sienarot
09-12-2007, 16:47
Come on, Canada, and South America members!

You need another Canadian, eh? Don't be a hoser and sign me up!

DrLeoB
09-12-2007, 17:32
If you want someone in sunny California, I'm in....

anne.douard
09-12-2007, 17:48
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum but have been photographing for a long time with SLR and now with an old Bessa R and I love it. If you need a point of view from Beijing China I would love to participate!

Yours photographically

Anne-S

rover
09-13-2007, 02:52
bump for the morning crowd (my morning)

shadowfox
09-13-2007, 07:44
Good morning all!

Rover, thanks for the bump and moral support. We may need your help to locate RFF members in South America and Africa. Are there any?

DrLeoB, you got a rain-check. That means you'll be the first to fill in for unmet quota for the other continents. Stay tuned, would you :)

Tally so far can be seen in Post #5. We now have 10 participants with one rain-check.

This morning's addition are one from Sweden, two Canadians, one from Greece, and one with the point of view from Beijing.

This is getting more exciting, hopefully we can get some from South America, Africa, Japan (homeland of the RC), South Asia, South East Asia (my birthplace), and East Europe.

shadowfox
09-13-2007, 11:21
... lunchtime bump! :D

erikhaugsby
09-13-2007, 11:23
Is North America closed? I'd really like in on this.

pesphoto
09-13-2007, 11:28
I say wait a bit and if it isnt filling out, open it to US photogs again....
so we can get it rolling soon.

shadowfox
09-13-2007, 12:21
Is North America closed? I'd really like in on this.

Erik, like Paul said above, I'm waiting for other members overseas who would like to join. You got the second rain-check :)

If I can't get anyone else to join by tomorrow evening (maybe too soon? we'll see), you and DrLeoB would be instantly registered.

Stay tuned, my friend!

shadowfox
09-13-2007, 14:32
... last bump before I go home ... :D

RdEoSg
09-13-2007, 15:35
You can put me on the rain check for the US as well if you don't get enough people.

sinetsin
09-13-2007, 15:50
I'm in if there aren't so much european guys! i'm from Spain..

Never Satisfied
09-13-2007, 15:51
I'm in Melbourne Australia, if you need an extra Aussie. Andrew.

erikhaugsby
09-13-2007, 15:54
Erik, like Paul said above, I'm waiting for other members overseas who would like to join. You got the second rain-check :)

If I can't get anyone else to join by tomorrow evening (maybe too soon? we'll see), you and DrLeoB would be instantly registered.

Stay tuned, my friend!
Thanks, Will.

Brad Bireley
09-13-2007, 16:03
I'm in if your need more people.

Brad

Keith
09-13-2007, 16:48
Hey ... if there's still room for me on this bus I'm definitely in! :D

Herman Abdullah
09-14-2007, 00:57
well...need a ppl from Far east? count me in...

HuubL
09-14-2007, 03:17
Just count me in. I love this kind of project. I'm in Europe , The Netherlands!

cameramanic
09-14-2007, 04:06
I would like to join this.

wallace
09-14-2007, 04:23
I'd join you if you want to send the Oly to Germany (I own several RCs myself).

Thomas

shadowfox
09-14-2007, 07:39
Wow, y'all been busy while I sleep :)

This is the tally so far:

NOTE: The numbering below doesn't indicate how the camera will travel, it's just for my reference.

1. Paul Shelasky, RI, United States
2. Chris Heilman, AZ, United States
3. Gavin La Grange, Sunshine Coast, Australia
4. Jaap Dijkstra, Utrecht, Holand (Jaap, I hope I guess your last name correctly ...)
5. Richard "Bluesman", Malmö, Sweden
6. BJ Bignell, Verdun, QC
7. Derrick, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
8. Anne-S, Beijing, China
9. George Harmantzis, Athens, Greece
10. Sinetsin, Pamplona, Spain
11. Andrew, Melbourne, Australia
12. Keith, Brisbane, Australia
13. Herman Abdullah, far east?
14. Huub Linhorst, Netherlands
15. Dylan Thomas, Wales
16. Thomas, Germany
17. DrLeoB, Bay Area, United States
18. Erik Haugsby, MN, United States
19. Wobbly, UT, United States
20. Chris Tennyson (RdEoSg), CA, United States
21. Brad Bireley, PA, United States
22. Andy Shaw, London, UK
23. Will Gunadi, TX, United States

No more rain-checks!

So we really get a good spread around the world. I am really tempted to close the sign-up, take all the rainchecks back so *all* of the above names would be participants and we get the show rollin'.

What do you gals and guys think?

PS: If we decided to close the sign-up now, I would like to make one opening for one member from Japan. It would be extra neat for the little RC to get to visit its homeland :)

pesphoto
09-14-2007, 07:55
Yup, I say fill it in and let's get it rolling. Someone send a PM to a member in Japan.

shadowfox
09-14-2007, 09:08
I just sent PM to members that I know live in Japan, let's see what they say.

Alright! all the rainchecks are taken back!!
In addition to seeing the world, this little RC will also do an extended tour across the US. Can't hope for anything better for a fun project. :D

Let's get the show going.

Please EMAIL (don't use PM, my inbox can't hold much more stuff) me the following:

1. Your Real Name (TM)
2. Your mailing address (formatted for INTERNATIONAL shipping, please)
3. Your frequently-checked EMAIL address, just in case you're banned from RFF ;) ... kidding ... sort of... kinda...

I'll start working on the routing this weekend. Anyone has a World Transportation degree? ;)

My email is [email protected]

pesphoto
09-14-2007, 09:30
email sent!

shadowfox
09-14-2007, 09:59
Gosh I'm really bad at turning people down, so before I get depressed doing it, let's close the barn door.

The registration for this project is now officially closed.

I am leaving ONE place for an RFF member from Japan for the reason I wrote in previous posts.

Now, let's come up with a name for the project or for the little RC. Chime in in this thread of what a good name would be. Non-participant's opinion is also welcome.

Come on, show me your name-giving-creative-side.

REMINDER: Participants listed in post #36, please send me your info detailed in post #38.

HuubL
09-14-2007, 09:59
Will, I'd like to send you my address details by email, but the system says I can't do that via RFF. How do we get your private email address?

shadowfox
09-14-2007, 10:00
Will, I'd like to send you my address details by email, but the system says I can't do that via RFF. How do we get your private email address?

Huub, I posted my email in post #38 (at the end). :)

HuubL
09-14-2007, 10:06
Huub, I posted my email in post #38 (at the end). :)
Ooops, got it! Sorry about that Will, that's my problem, "half-reading".

HuubL
09-14-2007, 10:20
Title? What about "Olympus' trip around the world";)

shadowfox
09-14-2007, 14:35
Title? What about "Olympus' trip around the world";)

Cute, unfortunately the camera is not an Olympus Trip 35 :)

....and a bump before I go home. Have a good weekend everyone, please email me your info (see post #38) for those who haven't.

sienarot
09-15-2007, 00:34
you've got mail!

Range Loser
09-15-2007, 03:52
Hi, I'm in the UK and would like to participate. Andy.

conradyiu
09-15-2007, 07:44
This is Conrad from Shanghai, please count me in.
Thanks
Conrad

shadowfox
09-15-2007, 14:27
Andy and Conrad, so sorry, we have had enough people for this project.

I will keep your names in case there are people who dropped out or change their mind.

Thank you for asking!
Will

shadowfox
09-15-2007, 14:40
Hey ho!

I have yet to receive the info (outlined in post #38) from yous :)

15. Dylan Thomas, Wales
16. Thomas, Germany
18. Erik Haugsby, MN, United States

and thanks to those who have sent me their info.

Keith
09-15-2007, 15:49
It occurs to me that there is no one from New Zealand in the mix ... there has to be someone from NZ!

Mark in London maybe if he's there at the apropriate time frame .... or someone else?

.... "come on you Kiwis!" :p

Igor.Burshteyn
09-16-2007, 08:53
Will, due to work overload I am not currently in :( will reconsider it in 2 month - by now I don't have time for photography ;/ keep us informed on progress!

Chris101
09-16-2007, 14:55
Hey ho!

I have yet to receive the info (outlined in post #38) from yous :)

...Email sent!

erikhaugsby
09-16-2007, 18:21
Sent off my email earlier today.
Thanks Will.

shadowfox
09-17-2007, 07:44
It occurs to me that there is no one from New Zealand in the mix ... there has to be someone from NZ!

Mark in London maybe if he's there at the apropriate time frame .... or someone else?

.... "come on you Kiwis!" :p

Keith, alternatively, you can become our little group's ambassador and take the little Oly for a hike in the beautiful mountains and streams in NZ. :)

Come to think of it, this applies to all of us. If the time when you get the RC coincides with your vacation, you can take it with you.

shadowfox
09-17-2007, 07:46
Will, due to work overload I am not currently in :( will reconsider it in 2 month - by now I don't have time for photography ;/ keep us informed on progress!

Igor, no problem, you can count on me to keep track of the project.

shadowfox
09-17-2007, 08:03
Ok, I promised y'all that I'd come up with the first draft of the routing scenario. Based on my limited international geography, here's the draft:

1. Andrew, Melbourne, Australia
2. Keith, Brisbane, Australia
3. Gavin La Grange, Sunshine Coast, Australia
4. Herman Abdullah, far east?
5. Anne-S, Beijing, China
6. George Harmantzis, Athens, Greece
7. Thomas, Germany
8. Richard "Bluesman", Malmö, Sweden
9. Huub Linhorst, Netherlands
10. Jaap Dijks, Utrecht, Holand
11. Sinetsin, Pamplona, Spain
12. Dylan Thomas, Wales
13. Andy Shaw, London, UK
14. BJ Bignell, Verdun, QC
15. Derrick, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
16. Paul Shelasky, RI, United States
17. Brad Bireley, PA, United States
18. Chris Heilman, AZ, United States
19. Erik Haugsby, MN, United States
20. Wobbly, UT, United States
21. DrLeoB, Bay Area, United States
22. Chris Tennyson (RdEoSg), CA, United States
23. Will Gunadi, TX, United States

Three notes:
1. I'll eat the most expensive shipping cost, from Dallas (US) to Melbourne (Australia). That's why Andrew is no.1 to go.
2. Please help me with inputs and suggestions.
3. Please tell me whether we need to come up with a pool to help out with shipping cost for those who are assigned international shipping (me excluded).

And finally, where art thine infos?

15. Dylan Thomas, Wales
16. Thomas, Germany

Please make haste to give me your infos (read post #38) so we can get this going. :D

shadowfox
09-18-2007, 07:56
Geez, it's like pulling teeth with some of you :D

I've resorted to PM the remaining 7 stragglers who *still* haven't submitted their infos yet. Look guys, if you're not serious, please don't commit in the first place.

It is unfair to those who signed up and participate accordingly.

Please, do the right thing.

PS: For those who haven't subscribed to this thread, please do, that is if you usually pay attention to your subscribed threads. It's a nifty feature that allows for easy heads-up and updates.

DrLeoB
09-18-2007, 08:20
Contact Info:

Dr. Leo A. Barnard
15909 Via Media
San Lorenzo, CA 94580

510-278-7390

gavinlg
09-18-2007, 08:28
Will, how do you want to do the shipping - there should be a universal agreement with the type of shipping. I'm happy with sending to the far east with normal sea mail however this can take up to 2 weeks overseas. Express is more like a week but twice the price. If express mail is needed however I'm willing to pay for it.

It would be really great to have the results from each person printed in a nice little book, I would be willing to pay a decent amount for a nice quality one - it's not very often you come across a chance for such a great idea!

pesphoto
09-18-2007, 10:33
Come on you slow pokes...let's get this ball...er...camera rolling!
Will , I say give 'em a few days to deadline than open up their slots for others to come in.

BJ Bignell
09-18-2007, 15:12
Didn't you get my email? I, uh, sent it like, ummm, a long time ago... Yeah, that's it! A long time ago! :D

Sorry about the delay, my info has been sent. I've been busy, and forgot to check in here. I'm subscribing to the thread right now. Promise.

Herman Abdullah
09-18-2007, 18:51
mail sent!..
thread subscribed.

tq.

Tarzak
09-18-2007, 19:25
If any one drops out of the Oz leg, I'll happily join in.

BJ Bignell
09-19-2007, 04:17
I think that each person is responsible for the shipping, and if they got stuck with an international leg, that is their problem. It's not very expensive to ship in most cases, and as a one time cost it's something pretty much everyone will be able to afford.

One good guideline might be to pick a shipping option with tracking and/or insurance, even if it's slow. This way, at least somebody knows where the camera is!

I have a question, too: I haven't noticed a regulation about time/number of rolls for each participant. What's the expectation? For the other travelling camera project, I think it was supposed to be one week/one roll. Have we decided on something like this? And, if someone takes a really long time to ship the camera, can we get the mods to make a sticky thread with which we can shame them? :)

Spider67
09-19-2007, 05:14
Well though you said otherwise:
Is a member from Vienna/Austria/Central-Europe still eligible?
I would gladly join!
mail me at
dessislaw at gmx.net
Thanks!

Daragh Regan
09-19-2007, 06:32
How's it going, Fair play to Will!
I know it's late in the day as far as the planning etc of this is going- just came across this thread, and have been kicking myself that I didn't spot it sooner!! Disgusted......but.......
I see that your sign-up in Wales has not followed through- I'm in Ireland, Cork to be exact, spend a fair amount of time around the west coast, which is the most western landmass in Europe....would be delighted if you'd consider me for the appropriate leg of the European tour, if the Welsh member doesn't step up to the plate.
It'd be brilliant!
Anyway, you might let me know one way or the other??
And if ever there's a similar project on the go I'd love to be involved.

Daragh Regan
09-19-2007, 06:34
Yeah, in my excitement, I forgot to give my mail address.
[email protected]
Look forward to hearing how things develop.
Daragh

shadowfox
09-19-2007, 08:23
EDIT: Ooops, Andrew (Never Satisfied) already PM me his info. Sorry.

Ok, finally the remaining participants are responding, here's the latest news:

6. BJ Bignell, Verdun, QC - Got yours
8. Anne-S, Beijing, China - Changed her mind, she's courteous enough to consider the unreliable international shipping to her place and afraid that the little Oly would got lost. I appreciate that.
13. Herman Abdullah, Malaysia - Got yours
16. Thomas, Germany - Got yours
17. DrLeoB, Bay Area, United States - Got yours
11. Andrew, Melbourne, Australia - Got yours

15. Dylan Thomas, Wales - No info, sorry, you'll be replaced by Daragh

Waiting on the wing are:

Andy (Range Loser), UK
Conrad Yiu, Shanghai, China
Desisslaw (Spider67), Wien, Austria - Got your address already

I'm going to PM Tarzak, Daragh, Andy, and Conrad.
If they sent their info within the next day from now, they are in and we're ready to go.

Bear with me guys!

PS: About the rule, I forgot 1 week, I already mentioned up to 2 rolls. I'll update the first post (the OFFICIAL Rules-of-Engagement post, print and post it in your bedroom if you haven't :D ).

PPS: Gavin, as I said already, I'll make a book out of our photos together. Let me tell you, this will be a kick-butt book, I have one made for my daughter using Blurb.com and I'm quite happy with the result, so I think we'll go with that one unless if anyone can suggest something else.

Daragh Regan
09-19-2007, 09:19
I've just PM'd my details to Will, delighted to be able to be involved, really looking forward to this project.
HELLO to all participants and everyone else who reckons this is going to be something worth following.
:)

DrLeoB
09-19-2007, 10:54
I'll take care of my shippiong costs.

Never Satisfied
09-19-2007, 13:11
Will, shall I paypal you half the freight cost to Australia to even things up. It's only going to cost me a few bucks to forward it within country? Andrew.

Tarzak
09-19-2007, 16:55
I'm in!

Excellent. This will be fun.
Let's try to keep the camera turn-around snappy.

Herman Abdullah
09-19-2007, 18:44
now the butterflies in my stomach are really hip-hoping..

Trius
09-19-2007, 19:17
Just a note: Will sent me a PM about this, but I decided not to participate because I'm simply not very good at keeping to a schedule with projects like this. I didn't want you to think I was totally ignoring you, Will (see, I even put off replying!!) ... it is a fun project and I probably should join for two reasons:

1. Camera is an Oly
2. I need the discipline

But at this point in time, I simply don't have the desire to make the committment.

Best of luck to all,

Earl

shadowfox
09-20-2007, 08:05
Good morning y'all!!

It's a glorious day, too bad it's Talk Like A Pirate Day no more, because I feel like a pirate with a keg of Rum. Arrr...

I finally got *all* of participant's info. And here's the semi-final routing:

1. Andrew (Never Satisfied), Melbourne, Australia
2. Mark Tatarinoff (Tarzak), Surry Hills, Australia
3. Keith, Brisbane, Australia
4. Gavin La Grange (fdigital), Sunshine Coast, Australia
5. Herman Abdullah, Malaysia
6. Jon Mitchel (jonmanjiro), Yokohama, Japan
7. Conrad Yiu, Shanghai, China
8. George Harmantzis, Athens, Greece
9. Dessislaw (Spider67), Wien, Austria
10. Thomas (wallace), Germany
11. Richard (Bluesman), Malmö, Sweden
12. Huub Linhorst, Netherlands
13. Jaap Dijks, Utrecht, Holand
14. Lluis Riera (sinetsin), Pamplona, Spain
15. Andy Midgley (Range Loser), Norfolk, UK
16. Andy Shaw (android), London, UK
17. Daragh Regan, Cork, Ireland
18. BJ Bignell, Verdun, QC
19. Derrick (sienarot), Calgary, Alberta, Canada
20. Paul Shelasky (pesphoto), RI, United States
21. Brad Bireley, PA, United States
22. Erik Haugsby, MN, United States
23. Leo Barnard (DrLeoB), CA, United States
24. Chris Tennyson (RdEoSg), CA, United States
25. Jonathan Johnston (Wobbly), UT, United States
26. Chris Heilman (Chris101), AZ, United States
27. Will Gunadi (shadowfox), TX, United States

Why semi-final? because ... "I'm a programmer, dammit, not a Transportation/Logistics Guru"

Please, please look at where you are and see if I make a glaring mistake in my geography

And... overnight I thought of something.

This will be added to post #1, btw.

I think to keep the interest high during the project, each participant, after spending up to a week (could be faster, encouraged even) with the RC, have to write a short report posting on this thread and attach/link ONE... let me repeat ONE picture only out of the FIVE.

Why? because one picture is like a teaser, it'll satiate our curiosity, but it'll still be a joy when we all get to see the rest of the pictures in the final book.

Once again, *please* do not attach all five pictures in the report (unless you're sending me a *different* set of five pictures which will end up in our book).

Next, come up with a name either for the project or for the camera itself. So far:

- Little Oly's Big Adventure - idea from Gavin
- Name the camera Ikkyu-san (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1461) - idea from Will (half-asleep)

And lastly, the camera will be dropped soon at the post office here in Texas en-route to Melbourne, Australia.

Andrew (Never Satisfied), you're #1, watch the mail. Don't worry about the shipping cost, I got it, just get the cheapest, tackiest trivia souvenir and pass it along the little Oly. Your next stop is Keith in Brisbane, I'll email you his address.

Thanks all for joining this very exciting project. I'm pumped... super pumped. The project has officially begun!!!

Please help me with suggestions, ideas, warnings, heads-up, etc. This is OUR project. :D

And last but not least, how to upload your scanned best 5 photos from the little Oly:

1. Make sure you name the file(s) you're uploading with your name.

2. Go to: http://nextcoder.net/photos/upload

3. Upload the file(s) (standard HTML file upload)

gavinlg
09-20-2007, 08:48
This is coming together extremely well Will, well done with the organising so far!
As you said, I think the limit of actually having the camera should be up to 1 week - ie: it should be posted by the end of that week.

I think maybe that everybody should try to express post the camera where possible onto the next person to speed it up - I recently sent a leica to singapore via express courier international (fastest express in australia) and it amounted to only $45aud or about $35us which really is very easy to cover.

The idea with the report and 1 photo from the top 5 to be submitted is excellent too. Also, Everyone should remember the basic guidelines with the 5 photos - they're outlined on the first page.

rover
09-20-2007, 10:56
Up and running, great!!!

I "Stuck" the thread in the forum for you so it will remain easy to find.

sienarot
09-20-2007, 12:14
Will: maybe as a suggestion, for each person who gets the camera, we either:

a) Take a photo or two and post it when it arrives, showing what tacky souvenir the previous person added; or
b) Take a photo or two and post it before it gets sent out, showing what tacky souvenir he or she added

That way we have a photographic record of how the camera has evolved throughout its travels. Personally, I'm in favor of option A so that it'll be a bit of a surprise for the next person when he or she opens up the package. Plus, the current recipient can try figuring out what the last one added :)

The front cover of the book can be the very first "before" picture. The back cover can be the very last "after" picture.

Thoughts?

sienarot
09-20-2007, 12:23
Oh yeah, project name?

"Oly-round the world" :)

Never Satisfied
09-20-2007, 16:28
Oi, Oi Captain. I guess it'll be herre Monday or Tuesday neaxt week. Cheers Andrew.

shadowfox
09-21-2007, 08:33
Mornin' everyone,

Ok, Gavin, Derrick, I'm processing the good ideas you guys put forward since yesterday.

Here's a more complete summary on what to do when you get the camera:

1. Open the package, laugh at the tacky souvenir (and the camera), take a photo with your cellphone or digital camera of the package (thank you for the idea, Derrick).

2. Choose your favorite film, bw/color doesn't matter. Have fun with the Oly within one week (if you can do it in two days including developing and scanning, we thank you :) ). Also, while spending your time with the Oly, find the cheapest, tackiest, smallest trinket to be the souvenir to stick or hang on the Oly (stickers are fine). If you're putting a sticker, don't cover the previous stickers, I'll provide a medium Ziplock bag for you to toss the sticker/trinket into. I'll put them in a frame or something when they all came back to me in Texas.

3. Pack the Oly along (don't forget the Ziplock bag) nice and tight, ask me for the address and email of the next participant, email him/her to give a heads up, and drop it in the Post Office.

4. If you haven't, develop the roll, choose and scan 5 fotos in high resolution (following the guideline in post #1) and zip them up into one file, and upload it here:

http://nextcoder.net/photos/upload

because high resolution scan usually give you big files, our emails may not allow us to transfer 5 big files. Oh... and I don't need prints because in the end, your 5 files will end up in a book.

5. Post a "report" on how you had fun with the RC, you may attach one foto from the 5 you're submitting, or more from the rest of the roll. But only one out of the 5.

Done. Simple eh? :D

Name-wise, I think Little Oly is good to refer to the camera, and I like both project names submitted so far...

- Little Oly's Big Adventure
- Oly-round the World

Which ones do you prefer?

shadowfox
09-21-2007, 08:39
Oi, Oi Captain. I guess it'll be herre Monday or Tuesday neaxt week. Cheers Andrew.

Andrew, yer jokin' mate!

I know the Australian postal services are super efficient (I can't believe my eyes when I got a package under a week from Australia). But the US Postal Service won't be able to get the Oly to you Monday next week!!!! :eek:

I'll pack the little Oly tonight and drop it in sometime tomorrow.

mike goldberg
09-21-2007, 10:03
Hi all,

What I don't understand is this shipping of camera[s] around the globe. Ruben and I both have Oly 35 RC's, and we're both GASaholics who get lots of packages at the PO. Even tho' there's no tax on cameras in Israel, especially film cameras, sometimes we have to go to the central PO and plead with the customs people.

Can this project be done with our own 35 RC's?
Thanks, Mike

DrLeoB
09-21-2007, 10:16
How about "Oly Fantasy"

Never Satisfied
09-21-2007, 10:18
Hi Mike, I think that kind of defeats the purpose a little. Andrew.

Never Satisfied
09-22-2007, 15:59
Just got the USPS notification, it's on it way! Andrew

shadowfox
09-22-2007, 19:51
Ok, better late than never :)

Early this morning I prep the little Oly for its BIG adventure:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1407/1425240693_d4fc9900ee.jpg

... ready to go, with the Ziplock plastic bag in case it gets airsick during the long travel... :D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1181/1425240761_3c8ee64765_o.jpg

... inside the plastic bag that will contain all the accumulated knick-knacks, trinkets, stickers, souvenirs. Also serves to protect the little Oly from moisture.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/1425240823_4ded13c532.jpg

... all wrapped up and ready to go. The blue tape is removable and reusable, just don't know for how long :D

And finally, my daughter gave her stamp of approval.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1135/1425240901_8241117e4e_m.jpg

and off we (my daughter and I) go to the Post Office to drop it.

Andrew, it's cool that you got the notification, I hope you'll get this soon. Bon Voyage, Little Oly!

pesphoto
09-22-2007, 20:01
Looks good! Can't wait for it to make it's way to me.
Here we go...........

sienarot
09-23-2007, 00:48
And awaaaaaay, we go!

erikhaugsby
09-23-2007, 11:28
Ho boy that is going to be one beat up box soon enough!

Anyways, I can't wait until this gets around to me--by my calculations it'll unfortunately be at least 3 months. :(

shadowfox
09-24-2007, 09:21
Can this project be done with our own 35 RC's?
Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, the idea is interesting, but maybe it's not for this project.

To me personally, this project is akin to launching a real journey. The real fun is the pictures, plus the stories we get when people spend time with the camera. It's the camaraderie, the community-spirit that could be born out of a project like this.

It's about an interaction with people on a single, common bond.

Plus, if we pull this off, we will end up with a book full of pictures taken by a single camera all over the world. Tell me if that is not cool :D

You and Ruben are of course welcome to check-in from time to time.

shadowfox
09-24-2007, 09:29
Just a note: Will sent me a PM about this, but I decided not to participate because I'm simply not very good at keeping to a schedule with projects like this. I didn't want you to think I was totally ignoring you, Will (see, I even put off replying!!) ... it is a fun project and I probably should join for two reasons:

1. Camera is an Oly
2. I need the discipline

But at this point in time, I simply don't have the desire to make the committment.

Best of luck to all,

Earl

Sorry, Earl, I was so busy to launch this project, I didn't get a chance to respond to your post.

FWIW, I feel that I know you enough not to think that you ignored me. Thanks for clarifying though :)

I totally respect your decision, I am a tardy person myself. It took all of my energy to pack the RC into a box and send it on its long journey. Now I just need to marvel at how this little project may progress (with a tiny but bright spark of hope that I'll see that camera again in my life :) )

Hopefully this project will be much fun for those who participate and also those who silently following the thread... :D

If this project goes through as planned, it'll be one heck of an endorsement for the Oly fans community.

Tarzak
09-24-2007, 23:04
[B]Please, please look at where you are and see if I make a glaring mistake in my geography

Will, not really a glaring mistake but a linear travel path suggestion.

See attached.

PS. thank you Google Earth

shadowfox
09-25-2007, 07:39
Hi Mark,

Good idea, thanks! I have no idea that Surry Hill NSW is near Sydney.

You just become #2 on the journey. Good thing I haven't told Andrew whom he has to send the camera to yet.

Keith, you're now #3 on the list after Mark.

Daragh Regan
09-25-2007, 16:25
Go n'éirí an bothar linn (pronounced "guh neiyree an bohaar ling") - traditional Irish saying meaning " May the road rise to meet us ". Good luck everyone, in the spirit of the project, let's do our best.
Slán libh ( good health and luck to all) and the little Oly of course!!
Can't wait for the first reports!

shadowfox
09-26-2007, 09:02
Daragh, that's a nice saying. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Assaf
09-26-2007, 09:29
Good morning y'all!!

Please help me with suggestions, ideas, warnings, heads-up, etc. This is OUR project. :D

How did I miss it....
Is the list closed?

I'd be happy to join and give the camera a ride to Israel if it's still possible.

shadowfox
09-26-2007, 10:14
How did I miss it....
Is the list closed?

I'd be happy to join and give the camera a ride to Israel if it's still possible.

Assaf, I'm sorry you missed the sign-up period, it was done about one week ago for a couple of days.

I'd love to get you in, but I don't think it's fair to the other participants who will be behind you geographically. You can still be part of the project by following along this thread and to comment/chime in as the reports start to trickle in.

Thanks for the interest!

shadowfox
10-01-2007, 09:12
Hello all! I got a tracking confirmation that the Little RC has made it into the shores of Australia. Hopefully we're going to hear from Andrew soon.

Never Satisfied
10-02-2007, 00:59
Well, woken by the postie today at 4.00 (I'm on night shift this week) and it's here, safe and well. I'll load him up with some APX 400 tomorrow when I wake and get snapping. Game on, Andrew.

gavinlg
10-02-2007, 02:02
Excellent - very exciting

shadowfox
10-02-2007, 07:11
Well, woken by the postie today at 4.00 (I'm on night shift this week) and it's here, safe and well. I'll load him up with some APX 400 tomorrow when I wake and get snapping. Game on, Andrew.

Oooh, APX! I've never seen a photo shot on APX film before. This is more exciting than I thought :)

pesphoto
10-02-2007, 07:39
Nice to see it arrived safely.

Herman Abdullah
10-02-2007, 18:27
great! watch out for the stingray ..:-)

Never Satisfied
10-03-2007, 03:20
Here is the arrival shot just prior to it getting a roll of home load APX. Andrew.

shadowfox
10-03-2007, 08:00
Hah, looks like the blue painter-tape square on the viewfinder has fallen-off. I hope the ride wasn't too rough on the Little Oly.

Andrew, you may want to put something in the middle of the viewfinder to increase the contrast of the rangefinder patch. It's pretty dim.

For those who aren't familiar with this Rick-Olesonization trick, look here:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

Never Satisfied
10-03-2007, 13:02
Thanks for that foxy, I actually picked it off thinking it was from the packeging. I'll stick some back there as the patch is nearly non existant. Andrew.

shadowfox
10-04-2007, 08:00
Thanks for that foxy, I actually picked it off thinking it was from the packeging. I'll stick some back there as the patch is nearly non existant. Andrew.

In the daylight it's not so bad, but the blue sticker (or whatever opaque stuff with adhesive) *really* helps.

Can't wait to see your report, Andrew :D

shadowfox
10-10-2007, 09:25
Andrew, Yoohooo... where art thou... :)

Never Satisfied
10-10-2007, 09:32
Sorry about the silence, are heading into town tomorrow to finish of the last roll, forward the body and I'll post a log tomorrow. Cheers Andrew.

Never Satisfied
10-11-2007, 18:03
Well, Oly has left the building and is on its way to Sydney.

Spent a few hours in Melbourne yesterday on my day off and it rained all day. The last week while I've been on night shift the weather has been beautiful. Anyway, went souvenier shopping and managed a gold plated, made in China, Boomoorang key chain for the hefty sum of $2.00AUD.

Took some shot of the rail station, Federation Sq and a few other bits.

Here are a few shots from Oly's last moments in Melbourne.

1st shot is Oly with a piece of colour film base taped over the window to give the RF patch some contrast.

2nd shot is Oly with his Melbourne souvenier.

3rd shot is Oly with his Melbourne travel friends, a M3 with a Canon 50mm f1.2 and a Minolta Dynax 9 and 85mm f1.4.

Cheers Andrew.

Never Satisfied
10-11-2007, 18:09
Here's the last shot, Oly in bed ready to go visit Mark, cheers Andrew.

Herman Abdullah
10-11-2007, 21:24
looks like cookies to me..:D

shadowfox
10-12-2007, 08:14
Well, Oly has left the building and is on its way to Sydney.

Spent a few hours in Melbourne yesterday on my day off and it rained all day. The last week while I've been on night shift the weather has been beautiful. Anyway, went souvenier shopping and managed a gold plated, made in China, Boomoorang key chain for the hefty sum of $2.00AUD.

Took some shot of the rail station, Federation Sq and a few other bits.

Here are a few shots from Oly's last moments in Melbourne.

1st shot is Oly with a piece of colour film base taped over the window to give the RF patch some contrast.

2nd shot is Oly with his Melbourne souvenier.

3rd shot is Oly with his Melbourne travel friends, a M3 with a Canon 50mm f1.2 and a Minolta Dynax 9 and 85mm f1.4.

Cheers Andrew.

Andrew, one cannot hope for a more gracious host than you are.
Thank you for these three shots. Very creative and memorable.

The little Oly looks cool with the base film patch enhancer (why didn't I think of that :bang:, it looks so much better than the blue painter's tape.)

Wow, a Dynax 9! now that's a cool SLR.

shadowfox
10-12-2007, 08:17

LOL! just re-read this.
Why do I have the feeling that when the Oly finally comes home to Texas, it'll be accompanied by trinkets from all over the world, all made in China :D

Never Satisfied
10-12-2007, 17:30
Had a lot of fun with Oly, I just wish I had the time to process a roll before I on sent him to make sure that all was well. I caught on to the film base trick when my original M3 had no patch left, the only probelm is looking through the piece of tape, which makes the view a bit funky.

I'd always thought of my M's as being small cameras compared to my Dynax 9, but when I handled Oly I realised that an M wasn't small at all.

I got some very strange looks while I was out with Oly, I had my big bag, with a few bits in it, got out the light meter and took a few readings and then took Oly out; I think it was a bit of an anti-climax for a few on lookers:)

I'll process the film today and give Mark the heads up if there are any exposure issues.

Cheers Andrew.

Never Satisfied
10-13-2007, 23:25
Well, poped the lid off a new bottle of Rodinal and fired up the Jobo and processed the roll and a half from Oly. Appart from a bit of wild frame spacing, I'm more than surprised by the results it returned. The neg's viewed at 16x20 under the enlarger are sharp and the exposure is spot on. It's a shame, I was going to blame my crap photography on Oly, now I'll have to take the blame. Here's the last shot taken before he went into the box. it's a self portrait infront of the typical mirror. APX 400 Rodinal 1:25 10mins @20deg. Cropped and brightened only, Cheers Andrew.

shadowfox
10-15-2007, 09:08
Well, poped the lid off a new bottle of Rodinal and fired up the Jobo and processed the roll and a half from Oly. Appart from a bit of wild frame spacing, I'm more than surprised by the results it returned. The neg's viewed at 16x20 under the enlarger are sharp and the exposure is spot on. It's a shame, I was going to blame my crap photography on Oly, now I'll have to take the blame. Here's the last shot taken before he went into the box. it's a self portrait infront of the typical mirror. APX 400 Rodinal 1:25 10mins @20deg. Cropped and brightened only, Cheers Andrew.

How cool is that? it's a refreshing peek to a window on the other side of the world. Just the kick I need in this extra dreary and rainy Monday morning in Dallas, TX.

Andrew, so you're one of the cool dudes who do your own developing, hats off to you! :)

When you've selected your best five, please zip them up in one file, and upload them here:

That way we don't have to futz with file size which may be too big for email.

Never Satisfied
10-15-2007, 20:25
Oly should be at his next destination by now, any news?

Tarzak
10-16-2007, 05:18
It's here!
Actually arrived yesterday afternoon but I've been flat chat (very busy) and only got to have a quick look at the camera.
Andrew, that was super strong tape. Took me ages to open the box.
A truly awful (and perfect) trinket too. You have certainly laid down a challenge for the souvenirs.

shadowfox
10-16-2007, 09:51
It's here!
Actually arrived yesterday afternoon but I've been flat chat (very busy) and only got to have a quick look at the camera.
Andrew, that was super strong tape. Took me ages to open the box.
A truly awful (and perfect) trinket too. You have certainly laid down a challenge for the souvenirs.

Andrew, if you haven't done so, I hope you don't mind me asking Mark to strip the packaging of the trinket to save the space and weight.

Mark, if you don't mind. :)

Please go cheap cheap cheap on the trinket, the tackier it is, the more it'll stand out.

Andrew, let me know if you have uploaded the scanned files (or if you're having a problem doing that).

Wohoo, and the second chapter begins.

shadowfox
10-18-2007, 19:12
Hey Ho Mark, any updates? :D

Tarzak
10-22-2007, 17:17
Sorry for my silence. A death in the family.

Tarzak
10-22-2007, 17:22
Here is the arrival photo with a beautiful key ring from Andrew.

As this camera progresses around the world the weight of all the trinkets may become a problem. I would suggest that we try to keep them as light as possible. Unless, of course, they are perfect and just must be included. I have found a light one but perhaps it is too large.... Who'd have thought that that element of the project could cause so much thought?

Tarzak
10-22-2007, 17:54
I went to a camera fair on the weekend and found a lens cap.

Tarzak
10-22-2007, 18:00
I can confirm that the auto mode does not work (I put in a battery - no response) but the self timer does work, just push it down (gently) to the full extent of its travel and press the shutter button.

Here's an image of the camera ready to go out on the street. I like to use a meter, the one shown is a Petri meter.

Tarzak
10-22-2007, 18:47
In terms of using the RC; I find that the aperture ring is really hard to grab (with my big fingers). I defintely must decide on exposure and set it prior to any focussing. It is not possible for me to change the aperture with the camera against my face.

If the camera was one that I was using regularly I would probably modify this ring so that it had a bigger radius than the rest of the lens.

The size of it is really nice but I find it a little bit akward to carry in one hand (on the right). It's heavy for its size and due to its size there are no little grippy bits for my fingers. I wonder how many shots will turn out with my finger tips in them?

shadowfox
10-23-2007, 09:38
Sorry for my silence. A death in the family.

Mark, I'm so sorry, my condolences.

This, for me brings out the focus of a project like this, which is actually on the people participating, not the camera, not even so much as the pictures. It's the bond that we share as people living their lives complete with ups and downs.

shadowfox
10-23-2007, 09:43
Here is the arrival photo with a beautiful key ring from Andrew.

As this camera progresses around the world the weight of all the trinkets may become a problem. I would suggest that we try to keep them as light as possible. Unless, of course, they are perfect and just must be included. I have found a light one but perhaps it is too large.... Who'd have thought that that element of the project could cause so much thought?

Mark you said it perfectly, cheap, light, small, tacky, or smart is the name of the "game".

I think the trinket idea is quite original, I sure hope that the others would find it quite enjoyable or at least tolerable as both you and Andrew has proven it to be. :D

shadowfox
10-23-2007, 09:45
I went to a camera fair on the weekend and found a lens cap.

Nice! and what a good looking red wrist-strap? or is that only the end of your trinket :eek:

shadowfox
10-23-2007, 09:47
I can confirm that the auto mode does not work (I put in a battery - no response) but the self timer does work, just push it down (gently) to the full extent of its travel and press the shutter button.

Here's an image of the camera ready to go out on the street. I like to use a meter, the one shown is a Petri meter.

Dang!!! I am looking for that Petri meter :eek::eek::eek:

Look at that, what a cool looking flash-shoe-mounted meter it is on the Oly!!

If you got a spare one, please include it as a trinket, PLEEEEASE :p

How much did you get it for? oh, now I won't be able to sleep ... :bang:

shadowfox
10-23-2007, 09:49
I wonder how many shots will turn out with my finger tips in them?

Don't worry, your fingers would look great and adds to the uniqueness of our final photo-book :)

pesphoto
10-23-2007, 09:50
So we have to walk around shooting with all these trinkets dangling around the camera? Not very stealthy for my street shooting..... :)

Tarzak
10-24-2007, 01:55
Dang!!! I am looking for that Petri meter :eek::eek::eek:

Look at that, what a cool looking flash-shoe-mounted meter it is on the Oly!!

If you got a spare one, please include it as a trinket, PLEEEEASE :p

How much did you get it for? oh, now I won't be able to sleep ... :bang:

I got it pretty cheap - about $10-15.
Saw one at the camera fair on the weekend but did not check the price or take down their details. Next fair is in February.

How's your sleep?

shadowfox
10-24-2007, 10:33
So we have to walk around shooting with all these trinkets dangling around the camera? Not very stealthy for my street shooting..... :)

Paul, think about it as a distraction, so you can shoot close-ups :D

shadowfox
10-24-2007, 10:35
I got it pretty cheap - about $10-15.
Saw one at the camera fair on the weekend but did not check the price or take down their details. Next fair is in February.

How's your sleep?

Gee, thanks again for telling me you got it ultra-cheap ... :bang:

Welcome second night of no sleep...

Seriously, if you happen to stumble on one, and the price is below $20 USD, please snag it for me. I'll of course reimburse you along with shipping cost (I'm a big fan of Australian Postal Service :) )

Tarzak
10-24-2007, 17:33

Seriously, if you happen to stumble on one, and the price is below $20 USD, please snag it for me. I'll of course reimburse you along with shipping cost (I'm a big fan of Australian Postal Service :) )

Sure, no problem.

Bluesman
10-29-2007, 02:04
Any news?

/Richard (eager beaver)

shadowfox
10-29-2007, 08:02
It should be on its way to Keith in Brisbane.

Keith
10-29-2007, 08:24
It should be on its way to Keith in Brisbane.

That's exciting ... I have the film ready and a trinket in mind from one of the local hippies.

The semi clothed dancing girls are ready and waiting! :p

Tarzak
10-31-2007, 01:11
Camera should be with Keith tomorrow.

Tarzak
10-31-2007, 01:36
I found this project pretty challenging. I'm pretty short of spare time, I travel from out of Sydney, into Sydney to work. You'd think the commute would be a good place to take some shots but that is not, as yet, my style of photograhy. What is? Dunno.
To add to the usual lack of spare time, one of our cars blew its engine (where we live this is a major logistic nightmare, the public transport is only good if you are going to aschool locally, not getting to the train to essentially travel to the next city to go to work). My choice, I know. The point was, that any spare time has been eaten away with extra travel time.
Lots of changes and too busy at work.
Inspiration was very hard to coerce to my will.

I'm about to turn 43. Perhaps it's time for a mid-life crisis? With the Oly as the catalyst?
Perhaps not. There is a mortgage to pay after all. Despite how much I would like to have a motorbike or a sailing boat.

Films are yet to be developed, my favourite lab is near home and not on my path to work. Here's hoping that some of the shots don't have my knuckles in front of the lens. What a little camera.
I think i managed to do most of the other RF mistakes too. Left the cap on, wound the film for the next shot (not taken) and took a photo of the inside of the bag later, photo without focussing, photo without checking settings from the night before.

But for all the above complaining ( I do feel better now, thank you) it was fun too.
Must get film processed. Must get film processed. Must get film processed.

shadowfox
10-31-2007, 07:43
Mark, thanks for the update and letting off some steam. :)

All of us are in need to do this once in a while.

I am about 10 years away from mid-life-crisis, so maybe I need to "plan" for it :D

Herman Abdullah
11-01-2007, 19:46
Mark..what a story. Time is the challenge, i can feel it. Anyway is it too bad to have a mid-life crises?

Tarzak
11-01-2007, 20:18
Two days after my car was returned from the mechanic with a replacement engine. :mad:

The joys of car ownership.

Tarzak
11-01-2007, 20:38
On the positive side of things, I can walk to where I took this photo, from my house. (a longish walk).

gavinlg
11-01-2007, 21:06
Ahhh those saabs huh... I've known people who own them. They seem to have a VERY love/hate relationship. They love the cars, they're quirky and different and do their own thing, but they hate the reliability. It's not that they're poorly made, it's just (I suspect) they aren't so well suited to australian conditions.

The cliffs in the second shot look amazing!

Thanks

jonmanjiro
11-02-2007, 03:43
So does Ikkyu-san get to visit Japan?

shadowfox
11-05-2007, 07:19
On the positive side of things, I can walk to where I took this photo, from my house. (a longish walk).

Mark, that's one BIG HUGE HUMONGOUS POSITIVE in my view ;)

Say, is that photo taken with the Little Oly?

shadowfox
11-05-2007, 07:20
So does Ikkyu-san get to visit Japan?

No, so far no one is willing to host him in Japan.

Are you interested?

Keith
11-06-2007, 00:42
Picked up the package from the post office today and with trembling fingers and immense anticipation opened the box ... bloody hell ... there's things breeding in there! :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/wheelie52/RFF%20Storage/IMG_2562.jpg

gavinlg
11-06-2007, 01:31
Picked up the package from the post office today and with trembling fingers and immense anticipation opened the box ... bloody hell ... there's things breeding in there! :D

HAAHAHA! Thats great.

jonmanjiro
11-06-2007, 01:31
No, so far no one is willing to host him in Japan.

Are you interested?

Sure! If its not too late.

Keith
11-06-2007, 03:56
Wearing my new accessories ... :)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/wheelie52/RFF%20Storage/IMG_2565-1.jpg

shadowfox
11-06-2007, 07:32

Oy! that thing looks alive!
Keith, you and Gavin would have to better these two :p

shadowfox
11-06-2007, 07:35
Sure! If its not too late.

Alright!! finally!

I've already said in the beginning that I'd make a special concession for one new participant who is willing to give the Little Oly a tour of his own homeland, Japan.

Please send me your international mailing address (and full name, please) to my email:
zuikography at gmail dot com

shadowfox
11-06-2007, 07:37
Wearing my new accessories ... :)

Be extra nice to Keith and he may let you keep your new hat with the two silver disc on top ;)

Keith
11-06-2007, 07:44
Be extra nice to Keith and he may let you keep your new hat with the two silver disc on top ;)

But not the 'Sydney Funnelweb' ... thankyou! :eek:

sienarot
11-06-2007, 08:47
Hahaha, that's great! I would've soiled myself had I opened the box to find that in there!

shadowfox
11-06-2007, 08:57
That's what it's called?

"Bites are dangerous and can cause serious illness or death. The venom appears to particularly affect primates (ie humans), whereas other mammals - such as cats and dogs - are relatively resistant."

Dang!

Keith
11-06-2007, 16:20
That's what it's called?

"Bites are dangerous and can cause serious illness or death. The venom appears to particularly affect primates (ie humans), whereas other mammals - such as cats and dogs - are relatively resistant."

Dang!

They're a nasty piece of work and joy for us ... we get a variety of them where I live! Brisbane is generally too hot for them but I live in the ranges behind Brisbane and they thrive in the slightly more temperate climate caused by the altitude. A mate of mine trod on one walking across his lounge room in bare feet one night and said the sensation was like having a staple from one of those guns fired into his foot. He was in hospital for about three days and suffered the after effects for several weeks. :eek:

I'm out and about today and Ikkyu-san loaded with HP5 will be coming along for the ride ... who knows what we may encounter? :)

shadowfox
11-07-2007, 08:12
Yikes on the spider story.

HP5, Littly Ikkyu is spoilt. You of course going to soup it yourself, yes? :)

Tarzak
11-07-2007, 17:16
FYI.
The plastic one in the box is life size (and made in China).

Where I live they are pretty plentiful but they're pretty timid and you only really see them if you're doing some major gardening and dig up their home. We walk around the yard barefoot mostly and don't really worry about them. My beloved will even garden barefoot but that's crazy.
If it rains for an extended period you do see them half drowned hanging around on concrete areas. It's also the time to be more careful in the house as that's when they'll start invading our 'turf'.

I'm much more scared of the brown snakes.

Keith
11-07-2007, 17:25
Yikes on the spider story.

HP5, Littly Ikkyu is spoilt. You of course going to soup it yourself, yes? :)

I'll definitely be souping Ikkyu San's film myself ... but the weather is against me at the moment! Totally out of character, Brisbane has been very wet and gloomy for the last few days and it's expected to keep up for another day or so yet ... hopefully the weekend will improve somewhat and there will be some light. I might find a market or similar to head off to get a bit of Aussie culture for Ikkyu! :)

Keith
11-09-2007, 00:35
Much excitement ... the roll of HP5 from Ikkyu San is souped and hanging to dry. I managed to squeeze thirty eight frames onto the film and the spacing seems perfect! By the looks of the negative, briefly, there seems to be a couple of dodgy exposures. This always happens when I use my VCII shoe mounted ... I take a reading with the meter, set the dials to calculate shutter and aperture settings then forget to make the actual adjustments on the camera before shooting! :bang:

It must be some sort of strange mental block because I seem to do it at least once every time I shoe mount the meter on whatever camera I'm using it on! :o

shadowfox
11-09-2007, 09:06
Nice, Keith.
Of course you haven't told us how do you like Ikkyu being a small camera that he is. :)

shadowfox
11-12-2007, 08:37
Hello all!

Good Monday morning to y'all.
I am proud to announce that we finally have a representative from Japan. For those who didn't follow along, I have reserved one place for a participant in Japan from the start of the project.

Jon Mitchell in Yokohama has graciously agreed to host Ikkyu-san and show him a bit of his homeland.

Welcome aboard, Jon! :)

jonmanjiro
11-12-2007, 18:12
Welcome aboard, Jon! :)

Konnichiwa, I'm looking forward to showing Ikkyu-san some of his homeland :)

gavinlg
11-13-2007, 22:07
Received a mysterious package today and wondered what on earth it could possibly be. I have a habit of buying lots of stuff off ebay and then forgetting about it until it arrives, but I didn't remember buying any recently.

Opened it and....

Wow! What a tiny, dinky looking little camera! Ikkyu-san with all his little trinket friends and a note from Keith (thankyou for the postage help money and the note).
I haven't got any pictures of him yet or even put any film in it, but that will all come. I'll start soon. Looking forward to some samples from Keith too.

It sort of sucks because I just sold my only lightmeter a few weeks ago, so I'll be dragging round a little SLR to meter for me.

More to follow - Stay tuned:

gavinlg
11-15-2007, 07:09
Loaded up with some neopan 100ss tonight. Going to have a hand at some e6 too over the weekend. Here he is with my beautiful f3hp (my lightmeter), taken with the brand new 5d I got today.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/fdigital/ikkyusan1of1.jpg

shadowfox
11-15-2007, 09:20
Gavin, excellent picture! They look good together, don't they? :)

Your F3 looks awesome! I forgot what's special about the HP version?

gavinlg
11-15-2007, 15:39
I love my f3hp, It's different to the normal f3 in that the viewfinder prism is on steroids. It actually has a slightly lower overall magnification, but eye relief is huge, allowing you to see the full frame in the VF from something like 2.5 cm away from the eyepiece.

shadowfox
11-19-2007, 07:58
Man, yesterday I just saw a clean working F3HP with the Godzilla-sized winder passed me by on the bay for $175, is that cheap? reasonable? not?

gavinlg
11-20-2007, 07:10
Thats a good price, should have grabbed it. I've just put mine up for sale. I hate myself for it, but I need a cash boost for a trip end of next week. it's in the classifieds.

Keith
11-20-2007, 07:22
Thats a good price, should have grabbed it. I've just put mine up for sale. I hate myself for it, but I need a cash boost for a trip end of next week. it's in the classifieds.

It's a shame to sell your FP3 but you seem to be settling into an OM system for SLR? I cant believe I only discovered a few months ago how good the OM's are and my recently aquired OM-1 impresses me as much as any rangefinder I own or have owned. :)

Very close to election day now Gav ... and you wouldn't believe it I've been roped into working at a local polling booth handing out how to vote cards for the Greens by a friend. Did it last election and got abused and spat at ... by Liberal voters of course! :p

shadowfox
11-20-2007, 07:40
Btw, how's little Ikkyu? got some exposure times with you yet? :)

Edit: The above question is to Gavin of course :p

gavinlg
11-20-2007, 07:57
It's a shame to sell your FP3 but you seem to be settling into an OM system for SLR? I cant believe I only discovered a few months ago how good the OM's are and my recently aquired OM-1 impresses me as much as any rangefinder I own or have owned. :)

Very close to election day now Gav ... and you wouldn't believe it I've been roped into working at a local polling booth handing out how to vote cards for the Greens by a friend. Did it last election and got abused and spat at ... by Liberal voters of course! :p

Well the nikon f3hp is just as good as the om cameras, better in some ways. However, I really like the zuiko glass and the OMs are just so pocketable and easy to use/quite. The best thing is the VF in them, my lord it's HUGE.

I'll tell you something interesting. I Just received a canon 5d last week, and out of boredom I decided to do a test between my much loved 17-40 f4L and my lowly Olympus zuiko 28 f3.5 with an adapter I had lying around.
Setting the 17-40 to 28mm, I tested both set on infinity at f4, f5.6, f8 and f11 on the full frame 5d. I then tested for distortion.

Let me tell you, the Zuiko 28 f3.5 really proved itself as a world class lens. Sharper all round wide open, at 5.6 very similar in the center - the zuiko however resolving huge amounts of details in the trees in extreme corners of the frame, the 17-40 f4L was pretty average in comparison.
At f11 it evened out more, but the zuiko still held the lead for corner sharpness.

In the distortion test, the zuiko also out-edged the canon L. I also noted the zuikos color was very neutral, the canons very warm.

Really very impressive for lens thats decades old, single coated and that cost $60 off ebay.The nikkor glass is nice, but for the most part the zuiko stuff is better.

I've already voted - I chose the mail vote option and did it the other night. I don't really see a clear path to a clear winner, I find them all wishy washy at best. My girlfriends father almost got me into a paid volunteer position at the voting boxes - would have been easy money!

gavinlg
11-20-2007, 08:00
Btw, how's little Ikkyu? got some exposure times with you yet? :)

Edit: The above question is to Gavin of course :p

Unfortunately haven't had much shooting time with him yet. The little guys been in my "man bag" since I got him but just haven't been anywhere interesting or really thought about it.

It's coming either tomorrow or the next day and heres a sneak preview - there will be e6 involved as well as the B&W (gotta pray to the metering gods)

shadowfox
11-21-2007, 09:26
Well the nikon f3hp is just as good as the om cameras, better in some ways. However, I really like the zuiko glass and the OMs are just so pocketable and easy to use/quite. The best thing is the VF in them, my lord it's HUGE.

I'll tell you something interesting. I Just received a canon 5d last week, and out of boredom I decided to do a test between my much loved 17-40 f4L and my lowly Olympus zuiko 28 f3.5 with an adapter I had lying around.
Setting the 17-40 to 28mm, I tested both set on infinity at f4, f5.6, f8 and f11 on the full frame 5d. I then tested for distortion.

Let me tell you, the Zuiko 28 f3.5 really proved itself as a world class lens. Sharper all round wide open, at 5.6 very similar in the center - the zuiko however resolving huge amounts of details in the trees in extreme corners of the frame, the 17-40 f4L was pretty average in comparison.
At f11 it evened out more, but the zuiko still held the lead for corner sharpness.

In the distortion test, the zuiko also out-edged the canon L. I also noted the zuikos color was very neutral, the canons very warm.

Really very impressive for lens thats decades old, single coated and that cost $60 off ebay.The nikkor glass is nice, but for the most part the zuiko stuff is better.

Woooot for the little Zuiko. Hmmm, I may have one lying around somewhere ...

shadowfox
11-26-2007, 09:05
Hi ho Gavin! any updates for us? :D

gavinlg
11-26-2007, 17:11
Actually I've sent some e6 films away for processing, should get back next week or the week after. I'm ready to send the little guy on to the next person though, I'll make a small record of the trinket first - I think it's rather fitting!

Will, could you send me the shipping details of the next person on the list so I can get him on his way?

Herman Abdullah
11-26-2007, 19:14
ok Gavin.

Next stop...Malaya.

shadowfox
11-27-2007, 08:23
Actually I've sent some e6 films away for processing, should get back next week or the week after. I'm ready to send the little guy on to the next person though, I'll make a small record of the trinket first - I think it's rather fitting!

Will, could you send me the shipping details of the next person on the list so I can get him on his way?

Ack, you beat me to the punch this time :)
Sent the address via your email.

Herman is eagerly waiting for Ikkyu-san.

Can't believe the little Oly made its tour across Australia. Now to Asia it goes...

Keith
11-27-2007, 18:15
we got to check on the local election progress and see how the candidates looked
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/wheelie52/RFF%20Storage/outtakes_0.jpg

met the local postmistress ... Linda
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/wheelie52/RFF%20Storage/outtakes_1.jpg

had a coffee or two at the local cafe with some locals and chewed the fat with them
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/wheelie52/RFF%20Storage/outtakes_2.jpg

had lunch with a friend while the crazy waitress cleaned the windows
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/wheelie52/RFF%20Storage/outtakes_3.jpg

met some photo tourists with their big DSLR's ... the woman was very impressed with me and insisted on looking through my viewfinder
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/wheelie52/RFF%20Storage/outtakes_4.jpg

some of the locals were very odd though ... this man was dressed for the cold but it was 27deg C! :eek:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/wheelie52/RFF%20Storage/outtakes_5.jpg

did some walking through the local rainforests and creeks and nearly had a swim because I wasn't performing up to expectations ... so I was told. :o
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/wheelie52/RFF%20Storage/outtakes_6.jpg

over all I liked being with Keith for my few days ... but I'm ready to move on now ... and look forward to my next adventure.

Cheers ... Oly. :)

shadowfox
11-28-2007, 08:46
Keith, wow! if these were the outtakes, I can't wait to see the 5 that you will send me. :D

The window-cleanin' waitress is my favorite :)

DrLeoB
12-05-2007, 07:59
The Rainforest shot is awesome ....

gavinlg
12-05-2007, 08:07
Keith those shots look great - looks like the little camera and you had great fun. Which reminds me - I've now sent the camera on through to Herman in Malaysia! Should be there fairly soon. I'm planning to send away 2 rolls of e6 to my lab in Brisbane for processing, each from the RC, also I have 1 roll of neopan 100ss to finish and then develop - don't know how it'll come out as it's out of date but we'll see....

I also took one last quick and dirty snapshot of the Oly before I sent him with his growing selection of trinkets - I'll post them up tomorrow. Hopefully I get lab results back by next week and can post some up!

More coming soon!

shadowfox
12-10-2007, 07:32
Waiting nervously for Ikkyu-san to arrive in Malaysia... :eek:

gavinlg
12-10-2007, 08:10
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/fdigital/rc1of1.jpg

Spot the new trinket (I apologise for the boring shot with the trinket out of focus - I was in a super rush)

shadowfox
12-11-2007, 08:48
Wow!!!! look at those trinkets!!!!

Mr. Irwin I get (good man), but someone has to explain the blue-billed duck (??)

Thanks Gavin, it's not boring at all, and the OM is a fine companion for Ikkyu-san.

Daragh Regan
12-11-2007, 11:18
The Blue Billed Duck's wierd one alright. And do ducks have arms?
Any chance it might be a Duck Billed Platypus- a native Australian animal that lives most of it's life in water, is practically blind, has a leathery extremely sensitive beak, lays eggs, secretes some kind of milk for it's young, and has a penchant for ridiculous millinary ?
It might fit with the Antipodean theme (only guessing -never been there myself, but it's on the list !)

HuubL
12-11-2007, 11:46
An OM-1 as a trinket... Wow, very generous!! :)

Keith
12-11-2007, 15:53
Wow!!!! look at those trinkets!!!!

Mr. Irwin I get (good man), but someone has to explain the blue-billed duck (??)

Thanks Gavin, it's not boring at all, and the OM is a fine companion for Ikkyu-san.

The blue billed duck, which I put in, was one of the official trinkets from Expo 88 when it happened in Brisbane long long ago .... sold at the souvenir booth at the expo site.

Don't ask me which marketing genius dreamed that one up? :p

I guess it was supposed to be a platypus. :)

shadowfox
12-12-2007, 08:57
The Blue Billed Duck's wierd one alright. And do ducks have arms?

Donald does :p

Mudman
12-12-2007, 12:22
This is a cool idea! Hey Shadowfox, there's one of these little olys in an antique/junk shop near me. How much are they worth? I don't think they want more than $25 for it.

shadowfox
12-12-2007, 13:48
Mudman, if you can get this guy for $25 in working condition with a clean lens, run, don't walk.

It's not famous without good reasons.

Mudman
12-12-2007, 14:35
I'll try and get out to the shop soon and see if they still have it. Its been sitting on one of their shelves for at least 1-2 years. How much do they generally go for?

Herman Abdullah
12-12-2007, 17:59
Hi guys.
Sorrry for late update. I was not connected for the past 5 days. - on leave and outstation.

So far, the Oly has been a very good companion. Followed me meeting the Sultan of Selangor (journal), travelling to the peasant village and strolling in the park of the Kuala Lumpur city center.

Waiting for the rolls to develop, if all is ok (or not ok), I'll post it soon to the next host. probably this weekend.:)

I'll post some shots of the Ilkyu-san and his new mates later...(got to go home now. still on leave)

shadowfox
12-13-2007, 08:44
Herman, awesome! Didn't know you're already taking Ikkyu-san on vacation! :)

Thanks for the cool shots! I'll email you the next address to send it to.

Conrad, you're next!

gavinlg
12-13-2007, 09:05
Hi guys.
Sorrry for late update. I was not connected for the past 5 days. - on leave and outstation.

So far, the Oly has been a very good companion. Followed me meeting the Sultan of Selangor (journal), travelling to the peasant village and strolling in the park of the Kuala Lumpur city center.

Waiting for the rolls to develop, if all is ok (or not ok), I'll post it soon to the next host. probably this weekend.:)

I'll post some shots of the Ilkyu-san and his new mates later...(got to go home now. still on leave)

Can't wait to see your shots!

Unfortunately I'm STILL waiting on mine to come back from the e6 lab.

Herman Abdullah
12-13-2007, 10:17
mee too...cant wait to see my own shots! but they were simple shots for sure. :-)

Herman Abdullah
12-15-2007, 19:00
if you hear any RC on sale ..dont walk, dont run..fly - faster than superman!;)

will, your rc rules!

andd..how to put the foto in the message? i know how to attach only..

foto anchor:
1. behind waterfall
2. naked in daylight
3. take it.

just playing with lil' oly.he like it..:-)

shadowfox
12-17-2007, 08:16
Herman! those are some really good shots!!

The tower behind the fountain water is sublime ;)

To embed a picture, get the static URL of the photo and click the yellow image button (looks like a mountain and moon/sun), then paste the URL on the dialog that comes up, Hit Ok, done.

Herman Abdullah
12-18-2007, 03:46
Hi Will.
Farewel to lil' oly. i ve posted it to Conrad. DHL will take good care of it. they say it will reach Shanghai in 2 days...

Got to find a replacement now...:(

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53406&stc=1&d=1197978298

gavinlg
12-18-2007, 06:31
Herman - I know how it feels, isn't it just a lovely little camera¿ I still haven't got my slides back yet, but I love your preview shots! especially the first one.

shadowfox
12-18-2007, 09:53
Hi Will.
Farewel to lil' oly. i ve posted it to Conrad. DHL will take good care of it. they say it will reach Shanghai in 2 days...

Got to find a replacement now...:(

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53406&stc=1&d=1197978298
Herman, thank you for taking care of the little Oly while he's visiting "Semenanjung Melayu".

Now you know for sure based on real experience whether to get an RC or not :)

Conrad's going to host Ikkyu-san for a bit longer, jonmanjiro (the next host) is taking vacation until January next year.

Herman Abdullah
12-18-2007, 19:40
Gavin, the preview shots are more on testing the lil oly...it doesnt fit in the project requirement..:-)

and Will, now you speak some Malay...he he

Im gonna meet somebody today, he says he got an RC to let go. Gonna check on it..

bye.
Terima Kasih (Thanks)

Herman Abdullah
12-26-2007, 23:28
Hallo..hallo...nano .. nano... knock!knock! Mr Condrad, are you at home? The package has arrived.

The DHL people need your contact number, they cannot get you now (they called me asking for your phone no)

appreciate a feedback.

thanks.:-)

shadowfox
12-28-2007, 08:58
Herman, I emailed Conrad and I cc you on it. Let's wait and see.

conradyiu
01-09-2008, 07:27
Hi Will,

I finally got the little Oly today.
Really cute Oly and I will try finish my shot by the weekend and send it out early next week.
Sorry for being late.
:bang:

shadowfox
01-09-2008, 09:53
Hi Conrad,
No problem about being late, it's the holiday season, and thanks for the update, can't wait to see your shots :)

Also, what a timing, Jon Mitchel in Japan said that he's back from vacation, so whenever you're done with little Ikkyu, you can send it to him, I'll email you his address.

Mudman
01-13-2008, 08:14
Yeah, bump for shots, this is a cool project.

conradyiu
01-14-2008, 16:55
Just finished 2 rolls after a rainy weekend and cloudy Monday, waiting for the scanning this evening, hopefully I will post 1 or 2 (not included in the specific 5) here if there are nice shot, not sure.

conradyiu
01-16-2008, 05:48
After shooting 2 rolls with the RC, I eager to get one myself.

First time to shoot with RC, but without any problems.

Easy film loading than my XA, advance/rewind smoothly, feel good in my hand. I can even put it in my jacket's pocket....
Though it is cloudy during these days in Shanghai, it cannot stop me shooting with this very nice Oly. Shutter dial and aperture ring are both a bit small though.

It went to some old district in Shanghai and also my workplace -- a construction site. My colleague looked curiously at the little Oly, like asking "what is it? new digital?"

The worse is, I can't make good shot :bang:

Attached here a pic of the little Oly by my cell phone and 1 photo by the Oly (bicycle parking outside my site office).

pesphoto
01-16-2008, 05:53
can i be taken off the list please?

shadowfox
01-16-2008, 08:46
Conrad, thanks for the update! Did you tell your colleague that it's a new digital RF without LCD?

I like the bicycle shot, the brick on the house is typical Shanghai-style :)

Paul, you have a PM.

conradyiu
01-17-2008, 23:01
Hi Will,

I just cannot contact the next host, Jon, by email as it is returned that no such domain. Does Jon have another way of contact?
I am planning to ship by tmr morning through DHL, but I think I should hold on till your advice.

Thanks!

conradyiu
01-24-2008, 05:05
Hi Will,
I have uploaded the photos to http://nextcoder.net/photos/upload,
namely shanghai-conrad.zip
the resolution is as high as I could get around here, shanghai. In case the resolution is not good enough pls let me know (I believe the photos are not good enough instead).
One more words, I have great fun with the Oly.
Thanks

jonmanjiro
01-24-2008, 05:21
Hi Conrad, Will, everyone!

DHL delivered Little Oly to my apartment just a few hours ago. Here's a couple of pics of Little Oly on his first night in Japan. That's an interesting collection of trinkets there. Conrad, is the restaurant business card for a restaurant in Shanghai? I added the two pillow shaped trinkets at the front. They're Yebisu beer good luck charms!

I've got a roll of film out of the fridge ready to go. Should be able to get some shots this weekend. Loking forward to it :)

Cheers,
Jon

conradyiu
01-24-2008, 11:02
Jon,
Yeah, just a small but shanghai style famous (to those like me can't afford expensive restaurant) restaurant.
Enjoy the little Oly
Cheers

shadowfox
01-25-2008, 08:01
Conrad, thank you for being a great host and for being the *FIRST* participant who actually uploaded the pictures :) :) :)

Previous participants, please do so at your convenience, if you can't or don't want to pay for scanning, you could just mail me the negatives, I'll scan it over here :D

Jon, lovely pics of Ikkyu-san :) my, my you guys are *very* creative about the trinkets.

George in Athena is next. Watch out, Ikkyu-san is going to Europe next!!

Mudman
01-25-2008, 08:15
Will, if you need another New England Participant, let me know, I'm in Upstate NY (close enough right?)

shadowfox
01-25-2008, 09:02
Will, if you need another New England Participant, let me know, I'm in Upstate NY (close enough right?)

Got it! you're in the queue if someone in the US has to drop-out of the project. As is, everyone is hanging on. :D

jonmanjiro
01-27-2008, 04:44
Here's some shots from my first roll of film (Fuji Superia 400) through Ikkyu San. I found it easy to squeeze 39 shots out of one roll :D

This is a grab shot taken on the train. I prefocused and had the camera sitting on my knee ready to go. Almost got the framing right :bang:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56456&d=1204105314

Here's a shot of a monkey trainer and monkey performing near the entrance to Minami Osawa train station in western Tokyo. The monkey was very well trained and drew quite a crowd.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56457&d=1204105322

10:40PM at the train station on the way home. Hmmmm, interesting green glow of the flourescent lighting. This shot was taken at f4 and 1/15 sec. Ikkyu San's unusual aperture shape creates some "interesting" OOF rendering :eek:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2288/2223054038_06ccdc1777_o.jpg

shadowfox
01-28-2008, 09:40
Delicioso! You just make me want to go to Japan even more.... (aaaargh!!!)

jonmanjiro
01-29-2008, 06:25
Here's a few more shots from the same roll. Ikkyu-san does baby photos!

jonmanjiro
01-29-2008, 06:29
Judging by the 2nd photo, Ikkyu-san's tessar type lens is somewhat prone to flare. Still, I quite like the shot as it is.

shadowfox
01-29-2008, 07:37
Wow, cute kids! :)

conradyiu
01-31-2008, 05:47
I like those pics ! baby !
We should have great photo book after the little Oly going around the world.

jonmanjiro
02-01-2008, 01:32
I'm going to take Ikkyu-san on a trip tomorrow to the Olympus Corporation head office for a few photos! Its in the Shinjuku Monolith building in Nishi Shinjuku, Tokyo. I would have liked to take him on a trip to the Olympus factory where he was born, but that's most likely the Suwa Factory in Nagano Prefecture about 200 km west of Tokyo. A little too far and quite expensive on the bullet train. We'll have to settle for the head office instead. Here's a shot of the Shinjuku Monolith building I found on the net.

http://www.eonet.ne.jp/%7Ebuilding-pc/tokyo/to-123monorisu.JPG

Then, as I've already had him over a week I'm going to pack him up and ship him off to Greece on Monday. From Asia to Europe !!!! Woohoo :D:D:D

shadowfox
02-01-2008, 09:31
Jon, I am tearing up, you read my mind about where to take little Ikkyu to. I am so glad that in this project we get to see Oly in the nation that brings it to life.

Folks, you heard Jon, next stop ... Europe! :D

Herman Abdullah
02-02-2008, 03:37
im also happy to hear that jon..he will be exhausted when he reached europe..so far he only catched on building but no girls..:-)

jonmanjiro
02-03-2008, 05:10
Here's a few more shots taken with Ikkyu-san.

In Japan, even train stations have giant TVs. This is the platform at Minato Mirai Station in Yokohama. This shot was taken at f2.8 .... a little soft and lower contrast.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56458&d=1204105437

Here's Yodobashi Camera's film shop in West Shinjuku, Tokyo. This photo shows about 1/4 of what's on display. No shortage of film here :D

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56459&d=1204105443

Another regular (i.e. busy) day at Shinjuku Station. This shot was taken just outside the ticket gates of the JR Shinjuku Station south exit.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60017&d=1211944010

shadowfox
02-04-2008, 08:52
Jon, stop torturing me like this :)

Look at that fridge full of film (is that a fridge??). Wow!

I like the third picture a lot, look at the girl with the glasses, somehow
her face stands out from the crowd.

sinetsin
02-04-2008, 08:56
Wow!! can you send this fridge with the oly??;)

jonmanjiro
02-04-2008, 17:07
Wow!! can you send this fridge with the oly??;)

Hehe I wish I could :) Actually, now that I think about it the photo only shows about 1/6 of the film on display. The photo shows about 1/2 the B&W film fridge (yes, its a fridge :D) and on the other side of the B&W film is the print film. Then, to the left side outside the photo, there's another fridge for slide film. Here's a shot of the flim fridge at Yodobashi Camera in Yokohama (taken with a cell phone, so the quality is pretty terrible).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/1887483826_4794fda87a_o.jpg

gavinlg
02-08-2008, 04:50
Well.... I quit. I'm moving to Japan. seriously.

gavinlg
02-08-2008, 06:10
And although this is very late, I finally got my slides back. I'll post some of the better ones off the roll. Most are wide open. Mixed with neopan 100ss. Slides were velvia 100f.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2058/2250715150_85dac899d3_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2347/2249919529_cb69e06af9_o.jpg

Beautiful bokeh in this one... that little zuiko renders nicely.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2377/2249919217_b8f91e3415_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2200/2250717774_fb132b29f6_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2324/2249918689_e9fb20182e_o.jpg

Herman Abdullah
02-09-2008, 20:40
better late than never...i like the d glowing flowers on d 3rd..u paint it yr self? :-) )

gavinlg
02-09-2008, 21:47
better late than never...i like the d glowing flowers on d 3rd..u paint it yr self? :-) )

I wish I could paint like that! It's all the zuiko and the velvia. Wonderful combination.
Something I noticed with the zuiko on the RC is that it has very noticeable pin-cushion distortion, which is very strange for a semi-wide, slowish prime lens.

WoolenMammoth
02-09-2008, 22:39
just came across this for the first time... wonderful idea. I live in NYC, would love to participate if thats ever appropriate down the line...

jonmanjiro
02-10-2008, 19:39
Has Ikkyu-san arrived in Greece yet??? Hope he didn't take an unexpected detour somewhere else ....

jonmanjiro
02-10-2008, 19:42
Something I noticed with the zuiko on the RC is that it has very noticeable pin-cushion distortion, which is very strange for a semi-wide, slowish prime lens.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's very clear in the sushi window display shot I posted above. For the type of lens it is, I expected barrel distortion.

shadowfox
02-11-2008, 08:41
And although this is very late, I finally got my slides back. I'll post some of the better ones off the roll. Most are wide open. Mixed with neopan 100ss. Slides were velvia 100f.

Gavin, so sorry I didn't look at this sooner. Definitely what Herman said, it's better late than never.

These are some gorgeous shots, Thank you for the slides, especially, love the rendering. Little Oly performs very well. Of course, the photographer has to choose the exposure settings. ;)

I hope you save the best ones for the 5 that will make it into our final book :)

Speaking of our book, at your convenience, please bundle up the 5 pictures and upload it here:

shadowfox
02-11-2008, 08:50
just came across this for the first time... wonderful idea. I live in NYC, would love to participate if thats ever appropriate down the line...

Hi!

You are in the queue with a couple of others if any US participants dropped out. Meanwhile enjoy the thread :) we're currently biting our nails waiting for George in Athens to give us the good news that he got little Ikkyu.

George, back to you.

harmantzis
02-11-2008, 09:07
Hi!

You are in the queue with a couple of others if any US participants dropped out. Meanwhile enjoy the thread :) we're currently biting our nails waiting for George in Athens to give us the good news that he got little Ikkyu.

George, back to you.

Hi everyone.
Yes, Olympus is in my hands now.

Following is the hello-letter I never took the time to write:
I like film (bw negative mostly, color slides occasionally). I also love wasting my time in the darkroom.

Two years ago, my girlfriend (my wife today) gave me a weird old heavy camera (Fed 2), owned by her grandfather who passed away ten years ago. After some search on the net, I stumbled at RFF and that’s how I got into rangefinder ‘attitude’. I like the style of this forum. Even more I like finding posts about other fields, such as medium format and TRLs.

I never used Fed, instead I bought a cheap, old, rather used and overall crappy Olympus to see how it goes. I shot one film with very nice results (taking into account that I ignored framelines (!!), photometer was dead and light seals deteriorating). Not really excited with rangefinders, but I found a new vision that I had to explore. So, I gave away Olympus and bought a new Bessa R3M with Heliar 50mm.Pretty nice mechanical camera! Framing is not always accurate, but I guess this is a rangefinder attribute.

So, the last few months I mainly shoot with Bessa R3M, Yashica MAT 124G and Mamiya RB67. When I saw the post about the traveling camera project, I felt like a friend from the past knocking my door. Olympus came back! Besides, I was desperate for a collective project, and this idea was absolutely brilliant.

Regards,
George.

shadowfox
02-12-2008, 11:47
Hi George, a big hearty welcome and what a cool story. We all came from different experiences and background, yet share the same obsess... I mean passion ;)

I'm glad that so many of you decided to join this project. It's been a non-stop pleasure for me to see how this unfolds, y'all are like long-time friends to me.

In the coming days, please tell us your adventures with the little Ikkyu-san. And I can't get enough of trinket shots :D

I also just got a Mamiya 645, not quite the RB size, but it's quite beefy. Interesting days ahead.

pesphoto
02-12-2008, 12:03
Hey, I just bought a Mamiya 645 too. Its the 1000s model.

Herman Abdullah
02-12-2008, 19:29
Hi Gavin.
Again on the 3rd foto.
I agree with you on the lower half 'bokeh' + the overall blend of green/purple colour, which is to me is quite refreshing.

But i dont really fancy the 'condom rings' look on the top 1/4 of the same foto. ...perhaps the 5 elements doesnt react good enuf to dotted-lights when it comes to bokeh...i donno, maybe.

Well it is not your fault anyway :-)

shadowfox
02-13-2008, 08:29
Hey, I just bought a Mamiya 645 too. Its the 1000s model.

What a coincidence, mine as well :)
I'll write a bit about it in the Evil SLR sub-forum shortly.