PDA

View Full Version : Making Some Justice To The Oly 35 SP

ruben
08-25-2007, 14:08
In some thread going on now, I accidentaly wrote that the f/stop ans speed rings of the SP tend to be stiff. Today I re-cheked mine and found them quite soft vis a vis my Canonet GIII, currently in use. So this is my repentance.

Besides it should be noted, that the numbers and rings at the SP are quite more comfortable than those in the GIII. So my home return is pending.

In this occasion I would like to add a tip for making the sutter slap more friendly user. Use a softie and cushion between the end of the softie thread and the begining of the shutter button with leather round pieces, holed in the center for the softie thread.

True the start of the noise and vibration is in the shutter between the lens, but don't ask me why, this method lowers vibration and noise. The reduction is not dramatic, but quite sensible and tactile.

Cheers,
Ruben

shadowfox
08-27-2007, 12:12
Ruben, I can't wait for your write up about the result from your Canonet compared to those from the 35 SP.

Cheers,
Will

ruben
08-27-2007, 12:59
Hi Will,
Do you aim at lens sharpness ?

Cheers,
Ruben

shadowfox
08-27-2007, 13:07
Hi Will,
Do you aim at lens sharpness ?

Cheers,
Ruben

Ruben,

I just would like to know what you think about those two cameras in comparison. It could be based on lens sharpness, bokeh, resolution, 3D-ness, etc.

or handling, viewfinder, look, etc.

Just an overall impression is also good to read. :)

Will

ruben
08-27-2007, 14:36
Hi Will,
Thanks a lot for inviting me somehow to the experts coffee table, although most of the chances are that had I sit there my coffee would be staining my pants and burning my skin.

Well, in my very particular one sided subjective and partial opinion, what you ask depends a lot on your type of photography, not just your genre but the way you perform it.

Since I find myself as a Beniliam inspired hobbyst, I venerate the flexibility of the fastest possible firing. Not that every shot is to be performed this way, but you have to be on the alert. In this sense the AE of the shutter priority Canonet runs against the Program of the SP. The program of the SP is byassed towards aperture priority (smallest size aperture and lower speeds)

Now it could make an unending debate what is better for the street photographer, either aperture or shutter priority. The aperture priority folk works with depht of field as one or the main instrument. The shutter priority folk is ready for movement scenarios.

Since I am in the later field, I have to use the Canonet, and wipe about the Zuiko fixed lens sharpness sleeping in my closet.

But, had I got control of light, no doubt I would be using the SP in fully manual mode.

The same for flash wedding RF photography. When i purchased my Sp long time ago in Israel, i was told this used to be the standard camera for weddings at its time. I have used it with flash at weddings, as a side photographer, and both the results and camera manipulation ease are luxurious.

It is just that damn Program with its ridiculous EV scale in the viewfinder...

Nevertheless I am sure that a "Canonet GIII vs Olympus 35SP" thread may surpass the number of posts than the strap or wrist thread. If you ain't goin to start it, you can put your thoughts now.

Cheers,
Ruben

shadowfox
08-28-2007, 08:54
Ruben, thanks. If I can summarize your comment (to prevent misunderstanding), you basically are saying that you like the sharpness of the Zuiko on the 35 SP, but you dislike the EV-based metering.

You like the Canonet GIII QL17 because it's easier to use and you're more of a shutter-priority guy.

I think it's a fair take on the comparison between the two.

As for me, I like aperture-priority (a'la Yashica Electro or Olympus XA). I also happen to like the EV metering system. I thought I would hate it, but after using it, I find it intuitive (but then again, I like sunny 16 rule, which I know you didn't like :) ).

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I think you handled your coffee pretty well ;)

Cheers,
Will

julio1fer
09-01-2007, 15:27
Ruben, I like your comparison. Allow me to comment since I use often a 35SP and a Canonet (the 1.9 model, not GLIII 1.7). A favorite shot of each one (left 35SP, right Canonet):

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/julio1fer/Madrid/th_calle1.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/julio1fer/Madrid/calle1.jpg) http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/julio1fer/Canonet/th_000010.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/julio1fer/Canonet/000010.jpg)

Overall I believe that the 35SP was aimed at a higher target market than the Canonet, and it shows. I like most the spot meter feature of the 35SP. The lens on the 35SP is the best I have ever shot with in a fixed lens camera. The program vs. shutter priority issue has never been a problem for me, but it may depend on the subject chosen.

On the downside I don't like that the 35 SP meter is always on (the everready case is mandatory) and that the lens is very prone to flare without a hood.

The Canonet is somewhat larger but very easy to use and it has a very good lens too.

charjohncarter
09-01-2007, 16:22
julio1fer, I don't know about your SP but my lens hood (placed because of flare, but luckily made of rubber) on my 35RC gets in the way of the rangefinder window. This also happens with an Elmar 135mm LTM on my Bessa-R (without a lens hood), but not on my Leica IIIf.

By the way, the SP images is great, why did they stop making these cameras?

airds
09-01-2007, 16:26
But the SP is substaintially larger than the later GIII

julio1fer
09-01-2007, 17:38
But the SP is substaintially larger than the later GIII

I wouldn't know about the GIII - this is a Canonet 1.9, the first model.

julio1fer, I don't know about your SP but my lens hood (placed because of flare, but luckily made of rubber) on my 35RC gets in the way of the rangefinder window

It does not in the SP - at least that is my experience.