PDA

View Full Version : CameraGAS Name Change?

CameraQuest
08-19-2007, 19:43
Should CameraGAS be changed to more web marketable name?

Please vote for your choice of alternatives.

Thanks

Stephen

BillBingham2
08-19-2007, 19:47
No, it works well. Perhaps a short FAQ about where the name came from off the home page, but I like it.

B2 (;->

Fotch
08-19-2007, 20:07
CAMERAGOODIES.COM

mfunnell
08-19-2007, 20:21
Keep the GAS alive!

...Mike

David Murphy
08-19-2007, 20:22
I think that changing the name would help, but there are some other key reasons that CameraGas is struggling and will continue to struggle as it's now configured. I think the essential idea is good though and it can be fixed. I'd be happy to elaborate, but only if you are interested.

Matthew55000
08-19-2007, 21:06
I think any name apart from CameraGAS would be a step in the right direction

sienarot
08-19-2007, 21:12
I personally think "cameragas" is an okay name, though it only means something to only some of us. I'd never heard of GAS until after I joined RFF and even then, it wasn't until about a month or two afterwards when I really figured out what it meant.

Yes, it could use a better name to help attract a wider audience, but there are other things that could change as well that would help more. I'd gladly give some suggestions if they are welcomed.

Chavo
08-19-2007, 21:20
I agree with David Murphy I have been involved setting up major business seller accounts since it started and now consult to many large organisations on how they can sell their product on eBay.
Camera GAS is a good try but falls short in that it has been designed for what the owners wanted but not what the average user/ customer ( both seller and buyer) wants to see and needs.
There are plenty of start up auction sites around all hoping they will be noticed by eBay and the bay will make the site owners an offer they cannot refuse. It is a pipe dream for most of these sites.
I guess that is what Camera Gas needs to do, is decide are we going to be a backyard bunch or do we want the best and most secure camera acution site in the world? If it is the later then you do need to change the name and change the way the whole business is run and set up. Someone needs to take ownership of the whole thing and make it stand out amongst the crowd. Remember in the online auction business you need both buyers and sellers.
Also to get the most out of the Poll you need a generic alternative ie: Yes change the name but not to any of the above.

Cheers back to my cage again :(

NB23
08-19-2007, 21:34
I think it's just a silly idea altogether. The word "GAS" is an error from the start because, let's face it, it's only a few people that know what it means and it seems that the term itself has been "stolen" so money could be made off of it.

NB23
08-19-2007, 21:50
I think that changing the name would help, but there are some other key reasons that CameraGas is struggling and will continue to struggle as it's now configured. I think the essential idea is good though and it can be fixed. I'd be happy to elaborate, but only if you are interested.

Well, simply put: it's trying to be eBay, and obviously trying to beat eBay.. but without the budget and without the extremely powerful brain team behind eBay. Just can't work, IMO.

Tuolumne
08-19-2007, 22:08
WRT the name: "CameraGAS" is entirely ridiculous, and the alternatives above not much better. I actually find the name itself kind of repugnant, and anyone who knows me will know that there isn't much that falls into that category for me.

Beyond the name, the inherent problem in all such online endeavors is creating liquidity, a large number of buyers and sellers making a marketplace tick. For all of its faults, if you want to buy a camera eBay is the best place to look. If it's for sale anywhere in the world, it will be for sale there. And if you want to sell a camera, ypu knoe you can find a buyer looking on eBay. That sort of liquidity has been hard to reproduce, and Yahoo and Amazon both have gone down in flames trying to do that.

The best boutique online sales opportunity now is probably through social networking sites like RFF, which has a classifieds for just that purpose. You should work on expanding that if you want to offer an alternative to eBay, not another auction system with weak liquidity.

/T

sienarot
08-19-2007, 22:22
Since people are giving their opinions on cameraGAS, I'll chime in as well.

The fact that it's an auction site is one of the reasons why I don't frequent it. There's already eBay for that and you really can't compete with it. If it were a classified site for used equipment (ie: set prices on items), I would've posted quite a bit of stuff on there already, even if there were a nominal fee for ads. You can have a classified site with an auction section and it would work out much better than the current set up, in my opinion.

I'll give an example: www.astromart.com

For many amateur astronomers, this is a one stop shop for used astronomy equipment. It's incredibly successful and anyone who's been in the hobby for even a short time will have heard of it. (For people who haven't signed in, it only shows ads within a certain time, but once you log in, MUCH more ads will be viewable.) It's a classified site, but also has an auction section for those who want to put their items up for bidding, though I've never checked out that section of the site.

To the owner(s) of CameraGas, this by no means is an attempt to put down your efforts. Quite the opposite, as I admire the effort and always wish people success on their ventures, but the plan is wrong (IMO). Personally I'd like to see a classified site where I can purchase privately used equipment from reliable and reputable sellers, without the retail store mark-up. You have quite a bit of ads posted on there given the short amount of time it's been up, so there is a bit of interest, which shows promise.

And to Mr.Gandy and the rest of the RFF crew, my suggestion is in no way attempt to draw attention/business away from the RFF classifieds!

I can expand on my suggestions if they're welcomed, as this is just a general idea :)

Rayt
08-19-2007, 22:28
I echo an earlier post. With all due respect for something like this to work you need to convey the message to buyers that there are bargains about and you are not going to achieve this when 80% of the auctions are from dealers selling mostly new items at high prices. Unless the dealers are willing to take a risk and offer their precious at much lower than their online store prices then what is the point? I was one of the first people to register but when coming back again and again I found there was nothing to buy at prices I can't find anywhere else.

NB23
08-19-2007, 22:28
This is exactly why I beleive the ONLY viable name for such a site would be "CameraFleaMarket".

Down to earth, Direct, Unconceited and pretty much international.

aizan
08-19-2007, 22:50
gas is too specific to rff. maybe something more accessible like cameralust.

Keith
08-19-2007, 22:57
I agree GAS is a bit too specific ... I had been a member of RFF for six months before I found out what GAS meant!

cameragear.com would make sense to me! :)

iml
08-19-2007, 22:57
How about calling it Ebay? :-)

Seriously, as others above have said, I don't think it will work as an auction site. I've worked with clients who have spent millions attempting to set up rivals to eBay in the UK. None of them have got anywhere, because none of them managed to get sufficient numbers of buyers or sellers to make any dent in Ebay's share of the market. Sellers won't list something on a site with small numbers of buyers when they have Ebay to try first, and buyers won't look on a small site to find something when they know they are likely to find it on Ebay first, and cheaper. Most commercial websites fail anyway, and launching one that is directly in competition with a global market leader is pretty much a guarantee of getting nowhere fast.

Making it a classifieds site is a much better idea, and if you are looking to rebrand and relaunch the site, that is what you should concentrate on, IMO.

Looking at the site now, I see that you have the same problem others have had when they have launched auction services, even those that have spent large sums of money on marketing: few sellers and few buyers. That isn't because the site has the wrong name, IMO...

Sorry to be blunt!

Ian

Silva Lining
08-19-2007, 23:42
I wouldn't want to comment too much on CameraGAS as a name, without being able to suggest a better alternative, so I wont....I don't think any of those options mentioned above are really any better though.

As many have said beforehand I think that CameraGAS needs to offer something, a service or feature, that is significantly different from eBay in order to attract trade away from it.

My suggestions would be - look at the real reasons why people don't use eBay to sell their cameras, there are plenty of stories on RFF!

Great for having a go at competing with one of the most successful internet ideas ever, though! Good luck

Never Satisfied
08-19-2007, 23:47
I think GAS is a great play on words that my wife will never catch on to. :) Andrew.

teo
08-20-2007, 01:05
I don't know if it has been already said, but camera a gas means gas chamber in italian... ;)

ClaremontPhoto
08-20-2007, 02:11
GAS is an in-joke for some of the people on RFF.

If you want the new site separate from the RFF Classified site then think wider and call it PhotoAuction or similar.

Not that it matters to me personally since I seem to buy a camera about once every ten to fifteen years, and I never sell anything.

dmr
08-20-2007, 05:17
IMAO, Ebay needs some good clean competition. CameraGAS can meet this need quite well.

The advantage Ebay has is variety. EVERYTHING known to humanity is available there, literally.

Unfortunately, Ebay attracts scammers like a pile of doodoo attracts flies. :( To use Ebay, you really have to be streetwise and you need to be willing to accept a certain degree of disappointment.

Now for the name CameraGAS, it's as good as any, and I have a feeling that much of the target audience knows the term already. (Urban Dictionary lists GAS as Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, maybe an update is in order.) :) When I joined here a couple years ago I did not know the term, but I picked it up within a day or so. (I also had to ask the gang here what "chimping" was.)

Now when a small business has a slow start, the principals go looking for that magic bullet, something that will jump-start the cash flow. Lacking a magic bullet, they tend to go for something, anything, that might give a gentle push to the flow of $$$, but often times grasp at a straw that not only doesn't work but has the opposite effect.

My suggestion is to keep the name and look for other means to bring the volume and traffic up to critical mass. IMAO, none of the alternatives just jump out and say YES as a magic bullet.

Oh well, that's my take on it, anyway ... :)

clintock
08-20-2007, 05:23
bidacam.com is available..
Cameragas makes me think of having an upset bowels after buying yet another camera!

rover
08-20-2007, 05:51
CameraBidder was my choice. That says exactly what the site is and easy to remember as such.

ChrisPlatt
08-20-2007, 06:00
If it was a great idea or great website or had great deals,
the name wouldn't really matter. But even the name sucks.

Chris

BTW most people have no idea what the term "G.A.S." means...

Ara Ghajanian
08-20-2007, 07:05
GAS, in itself, is not a good thing. Even if people knew what it stood for, the actual idea is that of guilt, addiction, etc. You need a more positive name. Hopefully, this time it won't be a bodily function either.

iñaki
08-20-2007, 07:10
Only a few people here knows about our GAS.
In spanish CAMERAGAS sounds very similar to "Cámara de gas" ( in english "gas chamber"), so I would change it.
I voted for Camerafleamarket. Good luck

Thardy
08-20-2007, 07:21
Check out this recent thread about CAMERAGAS.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45778

pesphoto
08-20-2007, 07:27
I just clicked on the sponsor link to cameragas on the RFF homepage. It would be nice if the sponsor links opened in a new window so we dont lose the rff page. Just a thought. It's a pretty simple coding thing to do that .

Thardy
08-20-2007, 07:34
I just looked at ebay and Camera Gas for Leica. Now, I don't claim to understand the Rf market, but prices seem to be better in stores, and the classified here than the auctions.

CameraQuest
08-20-2007, 07:44

yes, definitely interesting. this thread seems to have hit a nerve with excellent discussions the result.

Stephen

kevin m
08-20-2007, 08:04
I used to buy and sell quite a lot on ebay, but site's like the RFF and the now defunct classifieds on the p.net Leica forum have largely replaced it for me. The social aspect seems to weed out the bottom feeders and scammers that make up a good portion of ebay auctions.

And the truth of the matter is there are precious few items on the planet that warrant being auctioned. An auction format only makes sense from a seller's point of view if you have a rare item desired by a large number of people. Otherwise, you're better off selling your normal items here for a reasonable fixed price and avoiding the hassles, silly questions and all the fees.

That said, if you want to compete with ebay there's a saying comes to mind:

If you want to defeat a dominant hierarchy do not imitate it: You must offer a compelling alternative.

And as others have said, Camera Gas is inside humor and undecipherable to the public at large. I'd second the motion for some variation on "Camera flea market."

CameraQuest
08-20-2007, 08:12
in no particular order:

CameraGAS seems to evoke enough negativity or misunderstandings to warrant a name change. New sites have enough problems without name problems.

The goal is not to compete with Ebay directly. That would be impossible without a huge ad budget. The goal is simply to have a successful niche camera selling site. What's successful? To me 1,000 new ads per day. That may seem like a lot, but it's next to nothing compared to the number of ads placed on on the net each day.

CameraGAS is NOT an auction ONLY site. There are more classified ads with a fixed price on CameraGAS than auctions. So comments about not liking auctions aren't really that accurate. This would also knock out new site names with "auction" or "bidder" in them.

Dealers selling new merchandise are prevented by the manufacturers from selling below factory mandated prices. So if new items are sold, it has to be at factory prices. This makes a "fleamarket" name illogical, unless new items were prohibited, which will not happen.

CameraGAS is better than Ebay in certain ways .. or least I think so

1) A much lower standard ad or auction price with NO final sales fees
2) No extra fees for longer than 7 day ads or auctions (up to 21 days) , or reserve auctions, classified ads, or stores. In fact, no extra fees at all.
3) Free communication between buyer and seller encouraged with no restrictions
4) Better than Ebay photographic categories

CameraGAS software is excellent after you get used to it, but there is a learning curve just like any software.

The lack of support on a no frills site is predictable, but it is also arguably better than promises of support that really mean very little unless some huge scam is involved. With both buyer and sellers warned up front to buy/sell smart and avoid the bad guys, hopefully there is less chance of becoming victims.

Thanks for your comments.

Stephen

CameraQuest
08-20-2007, 08:19
I just clicked on the sponsor link to cameragas on the RFF homepage. It would be nice if the sponsor links opened in a new window so we dont lose the rff page. Just a thought. It's a pretty simple coding thing to do that .

good point

Stephen

dmr
08-20-2007, 08:47
It would be nice if the sponsor links opened in a new window so we dont lose the rff page.

good point

Please be courteous if you do this, and at least warn the clicker that a new window will pop up. ("This link will open in a new window.")

It annoys me to all extreme to have something unexpected pop up, particularly with no warning. I tend to close it immediately and go elsewhere. :(

pesphoto
08-20-2007, 08:55
Please be courteous if you do this, and at least warn the clicker that a new window will pop up. ("This link will open in a new window.")

It annoys me to all extreme to have something unexpected pop up, particularly with no warning. I tend to close it immediately and go elsewhere. :(

I agree most times, but if I want to search around CameraGas a bit, then I lose RFF. If I can just click shut the Sponsors window and still have Rff right there underneath it would be nice.

SolaresLarrave
08-20-2007, 09:13
I'd do away with the auction system and turn the site into a camera market. With a name that says it too: cameramarket.

My two cents. Yours truly,

GeneW
08-20-2007, 09:22
I like the suggested BuyAndSellCameras.com -- it's clear and unambiguous. It doesn't need a fancy name.

Gene

Fotch
08-20-2007, 09:29
The name creates a negative impression. Only a few will associate it with what is intended, instead of GAS =Flatulence = Smell :eek:

The few that have visited are disappointed with the offerings. :(

Three strikes and you are out! Take no action now, after asking for advise, well.....:bang:

Good Luck. :)

photogdave
08-20-2007, 09:51
I'd do away with the auction system and turn the site into a camera market. With a name that says it too: cameramarket.

My two cents. Yours truly,
Great idea Francisco!

Tuolumne
08-20-2007, 10:30
Stephen,
Just a few comments on your points above:

"CameraGAS is better than Ebay in certain ways .. or least I think so

1) A much lower standard ad or auction price with NO final sales fees
2) No extra fees for longer than 7 day ads or auctions (up to 21 days) , or reserve auctions, classified ads, or stores. In fact, no extra fees at all.
3) Free communication between buyer and seller encouraged with no restrictions
4) Better than Ebay photographic categories "

1) I don't sell on eBay, just buy there. So how much lower are you? And BTW, if there is no liquidity on the site, your fees can be $zero and it won't matter. If I can't reliably sell an item there within my time frame the fees are irrelevant. All this goes back to the issue of creating liquidity which is a very hard thing to do.

2) See #1 above

3) I have never had a problem communicating with sellers on eBay. It's not clear what this advantage amounts to.

4) Surely you jest. I've never had a problem with eBay photo categories, so what does "better" mean?

I think you had something going here with the classifieds. I would build on that. Perhaps mirror the classifieds here and use that as a base to build out a larger classified/auction system. The thing about this site is that you use a social network around a camera interest to aggregate people who naturally buy and sell cameras. That is hard to replicate in other categories, notably your SLR site (whose name I can't even remember, although I use SLRs alot, too).

I think you'd be better off positioning it as something of a Craig's List for cameras. Perhaps you should just call it Stephen's List. It should then be a go-to site for everything camera related - models, nude models, event photography, fine arts, producs to buy and sell, etc. Try to combine the best of RFF and Craig's list into one.

/T

kshapero
08-20-2007, 12:38
I, for one, am happy with the classifieds in RFF. One stop shopping. Usually people I have posted with. feels safe ( I know, it is just a feeling). nuf said.

ClaremontPhoto
08-20-2007, 12:52
I agree about the user community here.

If I was buying I'd be very happy to buy from one of the regulars here who posts in various threads and uploads to the gallery.

I don't think I'd buy from somebody who arrived yesterday and the first thing they did was to advertise a camera for sale.

There's trust in this community, and it's going to be hard work getting trust into CameraGas in the same way.

pesphoto
08-20-2007, 12:56
I feel the same as Jon about this. There is a nice feeling of community here and I wouldnt hesitate to buy from those who post routinely.
I Will not buy from Ebay anymore after being burned too often with cameras.

TEZillman
08-20-2007, 14:29
Some random thoughts ...

I thought the name was poorly chosen the first time I saw it. A new name should be chosen with the intended market in mind, but I don't see a specific market niche that is identified on the site. "Photography enthusists" are probably too general of a target.

I enjoy both photography and cameras. I wouldn't call myself a collector because I don't buy to collect, I buy to try out. Many cameras that I try out I don't care for and am willing to re-sell a few months later. There are a number of seller types that I don't want to deal with. People who pick up a camera at an estate sale and throw it up on e*bay to make a quick profit are at the top of the list. I don't want to deal with someone who doesn't know what it is that they're selling. I don't wish to spend my time addressing problems after a sale.

I've also sold a number of cameras and various equipment on e*bay and if you take the value of your time into consideration, if you do a good job of it, you have a significant amount invested by the time that you've listed an item. There's a reason that the e*bay drop off stores (a business model that makes no sense to me) have a minimum expected selling price of around $75. It's not worth the time otherwise. Of course if you sell something for $1000+ you have to worry about the buyer trying to rip you off.

I've probably have had someone try just about every conceivable rip off on me. Again, I just don't have the time for it and believe that if something sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

I can take a box of camera equipment to a camera shop that sells used equipment or to a camera broker and get a low ball price for it. I don't need to go through the hassle of posting something to a website to achieve the same result.

A business model that I'd like to see is a photography equipment seller who provides a new or working and relatively well cared used product at a market price with a buy back price guaranteed for six months. Frankly I rather doubt that there's a business model around selling used camera equipment that would work anymore at all as the market is flooded with used film gear and two year old digital equipment is worth pennies on the dollar.

I think the best approach to buying and selling for me is in the use of a classified ad here on RRF or on another photo site where you're buying from or selling to a person who's most likely selling gear to make way for something else or buying something to try just for the fun of it. A business model that attempts to bring all of the used equipment together from a number of sites might be a workable niche. I've often seen the same equipment on a number of sites at the same time.

I hope these thoughts help

Tom

David Murphy
08-20-2007, 19:03
yes, definitely interesting. this thread seems to have hit a nerve with excellent discussions the result.

Stephen

OK, sorry I'm in Asia travelling right now so I've just gotten around to following this up. I think most of the other members have now hit on the main points about CameraGas that have troubled me, but here are my remarks:

1) The policies of the site seems to be sort of a dream set-up for buyers, but not for sellers (at least when it initially went online). As already pointed out auction formats require a lot of liquidity to work. This is going to discourage anyone from listing items at a low starting prices since the chance of them ending at a low starting price due to lack of bidders is high. So if items start at high prices, or reserves are in place, this makes it unattractive to buyers. The whole affair then gets too expensive for buyers and sellers. A fixed priced format, just like the RFF Classifieds is far and away prefereable. Auctions might be considered in the future if the site really gets some traction, which is possible. My main point here is: DON'T FORGET THE SELLERS and their needs!! :-) Lots of sellers, big and small, are needed to make this work!

2) The initial price for ads (now a suggested future price for ads of $5) is rather high and not even competitive with eBay for many types of listings. It is also not competitive with the RFF Classified rates.

3) The requirement that sellers must back everything up with a no questions asked sort of return policy is great for buyers, but can be a real turnoff for sellers. Remember the seller is not always the bad guy in transactions-gone-bad: there is a very common type of buyer that likes to really cherry pick collectibles. I've even heard of dishonorable collectors who buy rare cameras and lenses for the purpose of removing small parts and then returning them for refunds. My point is that return policies should be left up to negotiation between the buyers and sellers, or perhaps there could be two categories of ads. One that is sort of a premium full warrantied item, and one that is more freewheeling.

4) The initial policies required all payment to be by PayPal or credit cards. Now I see that USPS Money Orders are allowed, which is a good step forward. PayPal is good for buyers, but not always for sellers. A lot of people don't realize that PayPal "Buyer Protection" works by making sellers pay for it. Under PayPal rules the seller is usually held accountable for any loses no matter how they occur, even buyer fraud, postal fraud, customs seizures, etc. Usually things workout on PayPay transactions, even international ones, but sometimes the risks is simply too great to bear. Some countries (Thailand, Malaysia, Italy) have problematic customs and postal systems and I for one will not accept PayPal from some of these countries on items of sizable value. Doing so puts me at enormous risk. I would take, for instance Western Union cash transfers and have in the past. This is a secure method for instance for sellers, but has unfortunately been a vehicle of fraud on eBay transactions (or so I've heard). Ebay has "banned" Western Union, but their probable real reason for doing so is because it can compete with PayPal which they own. My point is, let the buyers and sellers work out how they want to arrange payment, and perhaps make recommendations and have an FAQ on the pros and cons to educate users. I've also made local pickup cash deals with a few RFF members. CameraGass seems to exclude this very safe method (one sees and tests the gear before buying it!).

5) I think the CameraGass site policies that state there will be no active policing of bad apples (or something akin to this) is not a good idea. This is necessary and it is not hard. Other sites do it and prevent or mitigate fraud this way. Sanctions can range from temporary suspension to banning members depending on the infraction, nature of the complaint, public reputation of the relevant parties involved, etc. This is crucial to the success of CameraGas. If the site gets a reputation as a place that tolerates fraud, buyers and sellers will avoid it like the plague. I am not talking about slow delivery times, disputes over cosmetic things like dings and dents (or whatever) on camera bodies, but brazen theft and ripoffs. This must be clamped down on immediately.

6) Was a complete spin off of the RFF Classified's really neccessary? My view is and was that the RFF Classified section is a great place to buy and and sell classic cameras, lenses, and related items! It has a lot going for it: A direct linking to the relevant base of users interested in trading in that area, an efficient listing format, reasonably priced ad prices, a general transparency since members are often well-known, a discussion thread follows each ad, and ratings of users can take place in two places. My point is basically not that CameraGas is a bad idea, but that the RFF Classified's were already getting some interest and is (and was) a very successful format for trading. Why not simply improve and expand the scope of this existing proven mechanism in a few simple ways such as: expanding the categories, allowing the purchase of ad blocks at bulk rates, disallowing "make an offer" type listings which I think most here find annoying, provide better search facilities, making a buyer/seller rating mechanism which is easier to use (like eBay), provide better tracking of transactions in general. I am sure others have good suggestions here. I guess what I am suggesting is to merge the best of the RFF Classified's with best ideas of Camera Gas.

Incidentally I will be putting some items on CameraGas soon since the rates are now so attractive and I want it to succeed. Anything that can compete with eBay (which has some positive aspects for sure) is good and that is what I admire about CameraGas. eBay needs competitive pressure to help reign in some of its more monopolistic and self serving practices.

CameraQuest
08-22-2007, 09:37
There will be some changes at CameraGAS aimed at making it a better and more useful site.

And yes, there will be a name change. There will be an RFF annoucement when updating is finished.

How it will all work out, only time will tell.

Stephen

CameraQuest
09-06-2007, 20:35
The CameraGAS site is now BuyandSellCameras.

More improvements to come.

Stephen

NelsonFoto
09-06-2007, 20:49
Gandy, I haven't been lurking here for some time, and sort of regret missing this thread. I'm known to be quite blunt, so I'll tell you this straight: The old name and the new are pretty lame.

Look, you already have a fantastic name to use: CameraQuest

Why not stick with that instead of reinventing the wheel? Integrate the auction-ware into your current CQ site and move along. I really think CameraQuest is a fantastic, compact, accurate name for such a venture.

Best of luck,
CE Nelson

Tuolumne
09-06-2007, 21:11
Gandy, I haven't been lurking here for some time, and sort of regret missing this thread. I'm known to be quite blunt, so I'll tell you this straight: The old name and the new are pretty lame.

Look, you already have a fantastic name to use: CameraQuest

Why not stick with that instead of reinventing the wheel? Integrate the auction-ware into your current CQ site and move along. I really think CameraQuest is a fantastic, compact, accurate name for such a venture.

Best of luck,
CE Nelson

Good idea. I second it.

/T

wlewisiii
09-06-2007, 21:31
All the poll options either suck, are pure stupid, or both. Sorry. But as mentioned above you have the perfect domain name already. WHY keep trying to invent the wheel?

Let's be real: "BuyandSellCameras" is even more lame than the in-joke about GAS. Use Cameraquest and you might actually get some biz.

William

Al Patterson
09-06-2007, 21:56
All the poll options either suck, are pure stupid, or both. Sorry. But as mentioned above you have the perfect domain name already. WHY keep trying to invent the wheel?

Let's be real: "BuyandSellCameras" is even more lame than the in-joke about GAS. Use Cameraquest and you might actually get some biz.

William

The only one I liked was CameraFleaMarket.com, but since I don't own the site I don't get to name it.

It would be interesting to see if there is a way to leverage the CameraQuest name as was suggested above.

Which reminds me to check whether there is a link from CameraQuest to RFF and BuyandSellCameras. There wasn't last time I looked, but that was a while back.

Edit: I see there is a link to CameraGAS on CameraQuest home. I must not have been paying attention last time I was there.

sienarot
09-06-2007, 22:01
I don't think Stephen has anything to do with CameraGas/Buyandsellcameras other than the fact they are sponsors and he is helping them with a business venture.

Personally, I think buyandsellcameras is a MUCH better name than cameragas. I'm looking forward to whatever changes they have in mind.

Didier
09-07-2007, 02:09
I think it is not with a name change that more sellers and buyers can be attracted, though Cameragas always sounded a bit strange to me. Gas is often in relation with you know which gas comes out at which part of your body :~(...

Cameragas, or now "buyandsellcameras", needs a marketing concept as it seems to me there's none except a banner on RFF and CQ (still CameraGas there). Most items are new or almost new, sold by CQ and popflash/Tony Rose - which can as well be bought on their respective websites.

Most RFF members (me included) seem to prefer the RFF classifieds, or ebay, or other places. The RFF classifieds because it's in the same saloon we hang around (which also means one username/password less to use); you know the people in here, it's easy to use, though the features are limited (no auction or buy-it-now options), and though the ads disappers quickly from the first page. But it works.

How should "buyandsellcameras" grow when even at the place, where it began (RFF) it's only the second, third, fourth or fifthbest solution to buy gear, but not the first?

I'm missing the concepts for better integration and marketing at RFF, as well as outside of it - where a rough competition with ebay, photo.net classifieds and many others is to be expected. It won't be easy. And not cheap, too.

Didier

rxmd
09-07-2007, 03:58
Not to be overly blunt here, do I read and understand correctly that the name was chosen mainly because 14 people out of 67 voted for it?

pesphoto
09-07-2007, 04:59
I dont have a huge issue with the name, for me it's the fact that there is mostly high priced stuff currently up for sale that i just cant afford so that turns me off a bit.

rich815
09-07-2007, 06:09
I dont have a huge issue with the name, for me it's the fact that there is mostly high priced stuff currently up for sale that i just cant afford so that turns me off a bit.

No kidding. Get some real auctions in there and maybe people will look it as more than just a place for a couple of retailers to post the equipment sold elsewhere. What's the point otherwise?

pesphoto
09-07-2007, 06:40
Maybe put a new bessa body up for auction starting a say $20.00 and let people bid away. Then I bet you'll get some action.

RFBob
09-07-2007, 11:54
So now it becomes BScameras....wonderful.

monochromejrnl
09-07-2007, 11:56
why would users of RFF use CameraGAS or even EBAY for that matter when they could buy direct from each other here???