PDA

View Full Version : HOw much money do you spend on photo equipment annually?

Tuolumne
08-06-2007, 08:01
Here it is - the counterpart to the "How much money do you make on photography Poll". with so many amateurs, there were alot of quips about making negative money on photography. Ok, so how much do you spend on equipment for your hobby annually? we'll leave film and other processing costs out of this one.

/T

EmilGil
08-06-2007, 08:10
Where's the "Way too much - I don't dare sum it up" option? :)

Finder
08-06-2007, 08:10
I don't think this works. I can go for years without buying any equipment and then one year I may invest in something expensive. Averaging out does not work as the equipment is not usually replaced. For example, I just bought some viewing lights, but I don't see me buying any more. I don't usually buy lenses or cameras having all I need.

EmilGil
08-06-2007, 08:19
You got a point there Finder, last year I bought my first RF, then some lenses, bought another body, sold a lens and the first body and then bought more lenses. Don't know how much money I spent, but probably $3000 or so. This was for two reasons; me getting a proper job (and a salary to come) and buying into a new system (RFs). II doubt I spent that much money on camera equipment in the five previous years combined...

I don't think I'll spend more money on hardware this year but I'll probably jump on to the DSLR train next year. That won't be cheap either as I don't have any useful lenses. There goes another $3000 minimum...

MartinP
08-06-2007, 08:29
Ohhhh, this was only for hardware ? Not materials ? Ooops.

pesphoto
08-06-2007, 08:50
not nearly as much as I'd like to.

Tuolumne
08-06-2007, 09:12
I don't think this works. I can go for years without buying any equipment and then one year I may invest in something expensive. Averaging out does not work as the equipment is not usually replaced. For example, I just bought some viewing lights, but I don't see me buying any more. I don't usually buy lenses or cameras having all I need.

Finder,
I was thinking of people who were collectors and spend regularly to beef up their collection. Then, too, in this digital photo age, alot of people upgrade their equipment on a regular basis, but, perhaps as you say, not annually. So I guess we need another poll! :D

/T

Leicabug
08-06-2007, 12:24
This year is much higher because of M8 and a couple of lenses.

payasam
08-07-2007, 11:17
Some years, I spend more than I should: many years, nothing. Fellows like me can't vote.

Kent
08-17-2007, 01:27
Oh, I'm kind of mainstream, so it seems. ;)

raid
10-27-2007, 18:48
Me too, Kent. I am mainstream (most of the time)

thorirv
10-28-2007, 08:38
i'd rather not know... and if i did, hell i wouldn't admit it!

ErnestoJL
10-28-2007, 11:43
I spend more or less about 1,000 USD yearly...
Itīs about 3 months wages...

But nothing and nobody can stop me...

Better if I didnīt think of it....

Ernesto

projectbluebird
01-23-2008, 23:17
i'd rather not know... and if i did, hell i wouldn't admit it!

My thoughts exactly. I started counting, and then decided to stop.
Just this month I've spent over $500... yikes! It seems I'm always broke, but I manage to pick up fun things every 3 months or so, perhaps that's why I'm always broke? (More broke? Broken? Broker? No, they make money...)

pvdhaar
01-24-2008, 00:14
I started counting, and then decided to stop.

It's tempting to stop counting, but I've found it gives tremendous insight into understanding where the money goes. Every couple of months I have a very bad GAS attack, and untill a year ago always gave in. Given the amount of money I can scrape together by saving up and selling equipment over such periods, that meant I bought a lot of gear that wasn't entirely what I really want/need. When I look back at what I spent, versus what I've got now, I'm determined to puff away any GAS attack for a while and earmark the money for future spending on something decent..

__hh
01-24-2008, 00:23
I used to spend too much when I was into DSLRs and SLRs, maybe due to the fact that there are way too many lenses and accessories, let a lone the rapid "upgrades" and continual increases in mega-pickles.

Recently, I find myself acquiring RF & old film gear and selling off digital equipment and it turns out that my equipment pool is quite stable (but still growing slowly!)

Hacker
01-24-2008, 01:01
I'm too afraid to know the truth. :(

hugivza
03-06-2008, 19:00
It depends - if this is an official enquiry on behalf of my wife then the answer is very little; if it is not then I probably do not wish either me or you to know the truth as it would be embarrassing!

Muller
03-06-2008, 20:12
So far my more expensive single buys have been the digital equipment (P/S, DSLR, lenses). All the film RFs, SLRs, lenses and additional accesories might equal what I paid out for my DSLR gear since I buy as much used as possible/practical.

peripatetic
03-06-2008, 22:33
Well I'm only recently back into photography so still finding my feet. But I expect some of the stuff I have bought in the last 2 years to last me for 10 at least. Hopefully longer.

At the moment though I put aside Ģ100 a month into a photography fund and then spend it when it adds up to something useful. It seems as good a way as any to keep GAS under control, and stops me from paying interest on credit cards.

kshapero
03-12-2008, 03:46
This is the worst poll ever posted. I refuse to face this poll. Denial is not just a River in Egypt. I will not be exposed for the GAS ASS that I am. I will never answer this question. ........
Wow, more than my house mortgage but only by 20%. I thought it would be more. Hey no problem.
Looking for........................................ and on and on it goes.

BigSteveG
03-12-2008, 15:10
Well, I've purchased some equipment for the sole purpose of selling it at a profit. Sould that be included? I have plenty of 35mm gear now....I'm more interested in playing w/ other formats and Darkroom gear. Just bought a combination timer/enlarging meter.

35mmdelux
03-12-2008, 17:41
Typical year $10,000. The one year I checked I had bought sold $30,000. Buy a couple MPs and a couple summiluxes ASPH and your into the $10K range (US). I'm talking used here!

I have a pretty strong tab at B&H as well.

Spitzer now wishes he was buying camera gear. oh, well.

crawdiddy
03-21-2008, 14:04
For anyone who voted $20K+ annually, can you please provide your street address, and typical work schedule for all household members? Send me a PM, please.

migtex
04-10-2008, 15:35
I rather... nah.. I just don't wanna know.. I may feel guilty... :rolleyes::angel:

dazedgonebye
04-10-2008, 16:17
"I swear honey, it's just a few hundred a year!"

:)

Olsen
04-12-2008, 12:37
My consumption of photo gear has been steady at about 60.000 NOK per year in the last eight to ten years. Which looks rediculous in US dollars today; 12,000 $. Back in 2001 this was just slightly above 6,000$

- This Ben Bernanke-fellow, that's some freak! - Not me.

Uwe_Nds
04-12-2008, 23:45
not nearly as much as I'd like to.

... but much more than the wife would like me to.

Best regards,
Uwe

lZr
04-13-2008, 01:35
For anyone who voted $20K+ annually, can you please provide your street address, and typical work schedule for all household members? Send me a PM, please.

For anyone who voted $0 annually, can you explain how you fabricated your Avatar? Send me a PM, please