PDA

View Full Version : How many gigaybytes do your pcitures take up?

Tuolumne
07-11-2007, 12:15
Much to my surprise I discovered last night that my 340 GB disk has suddently been filled with photos, over 50 gigabytes in the last month or two alone. Of course, filling 8 GB memory cards, keeping all results filtered with Noise Ninja, keeping all JPGs ever exported, etc. etc. does begin to add up. Still - it seems a little crazy. I have now gone out and bought a 1 TB (yes, thats TERABYTE, 1000 Gigabytes) drive for my little measly digital dark room, and I'm not even a professional. How much disk space do your pictures take and do you feel this is getting a little out of control?

/T

Kin Lau
07-11-2007, 12:41
I'm actually closer to the 300GB mark. A 1 TB drive is looking very attractive right now. I also scan my film and there's 2 shooters in this family.

aad
07-11-2007, 13:22
I'm guessing you're storing raw files. JPG will make life more manageable.

My digital files run about 2 gig when I don't clean house. The archives are all film. Now, there's a LOT of that...

Tuolumne
07-11-2007, 13:27
I'm guessing you're storing raw files. JPG will make life more manageable.

My digital files run about 2 gig when I don't clean house. The archives are all film. Now, there's a LOT of that...

aad,
Yes, I have started shooting RAW files and they are HUGE. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Since starting to shoot RAW I've used up more space in 2 months than I did in the preceeding 12. That was something I hadn't given much though to. :(

/T

collum
07-11-2007, 13:39
there's no > 1Tb :)

I also shoot with a Betterlight scanning back, each image can end up being 2G+ when i shoot with the pano adapter (normally each is about 700Mb before adding layers).

Currenlty have 5 Tb and need more

RML
07-11-2007, 13:51
Well over 300GB too.

I am thinking of getting the external Maxtor OneTouch 1.5 TB. These are two 750GB disks in a RAID0 setup, so they're each others mirrors. This beast costs some 450 euro here, and I'm off to Istanbul soon. The OneTouch will have to wait a little, though I fear my current disks will be full after I return from Turkey. :p

furcafe
07-11-2007, 13:51
I'm w/Collum, there needs to be a > 1 TB category.

migtex
07-11-2007, 13:54
My 2.5 TB Raid system is about to get at 73%... so.. by Christmas I do need to find some cheap Satas... oh I'm in trouble...
Or shoot less.. or delete more. (Which I never do..)...

rogue_designer
07-11-2007, 14:01
I've got two 250 GB lacies that are pretty close to full, I need to archive a bunch of old projects off to dvds soon anyway tho.

aad
07-11-2007, 14:03
aad,
Yes, I have started shooting RAW files and they are HUGE. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Since starting to shoot RAW I've used up more space in 2 months than I did in the preceeding 12. That was something I hadn't given much though to. :(

/T

I'm sure this will make me unpopular, but..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Sometimes as hobbyists we get a bit crazy. I used to scan 120 film at 4800 ppi in TIFF. Just crazy.

collum
07-11-2007, 15:53
I'm sure this will make me unpopular, but..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Sometimes as hobbyists we get a bit crazy. I used to scan 120 film at 4800 ppi in TIFF. Just crazy.

nothing to get upset about, the site is sort of the National Lampoon of the photographic world... as Ken himself says on his site:

"While occasionally inspired by actual products or experiences, this site is entirely a work of fiction. It's a joke! Any resemblance to any actual people, places, products or anything is purely coincidental. This site is private and provided only for the entertainment of my personal friends and myself. Read this site at your own risk. I offer no warrantees of any kind, except that there are many deliberate gaffes, practical jokes and downright foolish and made-up things lurking.

I love a good hoax. Read The Museum of Hoaxes (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ENBPXE/kenrockwellcom). A hoax, like this site, is done as a goof simply for the heck of it by overactive minds."

If you take that into consideration while reading his site, it puts a lot into perspective

jim

iml
07-11-2007, 15:57
14.5GB. I scan TIFFs and shoot RAW when using digital, but I only keep digital versions of what I think is worth keeping. All the negs are stored away in dated sleeves, but I only scan what I want to print or put online, so even though I shoot a lot of film, the scans are only a very small proportion. I use a digital camera for colour only nowadays and I generally have a very specific image or two in mind when I use it, so I don't shoot hundreds of digital pictures.

Ian

Morca007
07-11-2007, 16:35
5.15 gigs, I'm only scanning at 1200 for web display, if I need to print, I'll do a one off scan at 4800.

amateriat
07-11-2007, 17:17
Between my HDs and assorrted DVDs/CDs, I'm probably clocking in at around 100GB. The scary part is, 90% of that is stuff I've shot in the last six years. I still have the previous 24 years' worth of work to get to. (And, the above does not include photography I've done for others; that's probably another 25GB right there.) :eek:

- Barrett

narsuitus
07-12-2007, 09:38
IF my calculations are correct:
Fifty 720mb CDs per year = 36gb
Four years of digital = 144gb
For this poll, I rounded up to 200gb total.