PDA

View Full Version : Serial numbers

pfogle
03-05-2005, 15:34
Hi,

my R-D1 body is number 2449, and I was wondering what other sn's were out there, what with the hype about only 10k being make, etc. Does anyone know what numbers were allocated to which countries?

cheers
Phil

jlw
03-05-2005, 16:11
Mine's 0017xx. One thing we don't know (well, maybe Sean does, but I don't) is whether they just started numbering them at 000001 and went up from there, or used some kind of batch coding.

iMacfan
03-05-2005, 16:22
If it's of any use, CV definitely started at 0000001 on the R3a, because my number's in the 30s - I'm quite proud of that for some reason, but will be less so if it plays up!

David

Sean Reid
03-06-2005, 09:05
I don't know if they started at 000001 but I'll bet that they did and that camera 000001 went to the Epson CEO. The low serial number cameras were likely sold in Japan. This is conjecture from me, however, as I haven't spoken to Epson about it. My camera is 000002...just kidding....it's actually 0016XX.

Cheers,

Sean

Jim Watts
03-09-2005, 03:59
Phil,
Mine is a 24xx but higher than yours. Purchased in December. So it would seem that the U.K. at least is being alloted a batch in this range.

I think Robert White, where you got yours, was the first dealer in the U.K. to have them. I got mine from Jacobs but I have now seen about 10 or more U.K. dealers advertising them, so they must be proving popular here, or is it just the strength of the pound and price here that makes this an attractive market for Epson.

It would be interesting to know how far Epson is through the 10,000 internationally. I expect we will soon start seeing "refurbished" R-D1's with low serial numbers given that Epson seems to be replacing rather than repairing all those returned?

DaShiv
03-09-2005, 04:09
Refurb R-D1's would be great. I've picked up a few factory refurbs on Canon SLR lenses from B&H and found them to be excellent bargains and flawless performers, so refurbished R-D1's would be great since the main downside to the R-D1 is its sticker price. (The crop factor would be the second biggest downside in my book, but that's taken for granted in DSLR-land.)

FWIW, my serial # is 0017XX, purchased late January from B&H.

LCT
03-09-2005, 13:01
Hi everybody, Sean, Jim, David and others. Nice little forum here.
Wonder if mine is an oldie: # 15xx
Purchased last november
Membership card # 0001
he he! ;)

Jim Watts
03-09-2005, 14:38
Hi LCT - Welcome to the forum.

It's looking that the U.S. has got a (first?) batch from 15xx to 17xx and the U.K. 24xx to 25xx Anyone lower/higher? What about all you guys that purchased in Japan and Hong Kong?

Ed Schwartzreic
03-09-2005, 14:45
I wonder who on this forum has the earliest number? I have 00106X which was bought in Japan and resold here in early November. Perhaps the numbering started at 001000?

Ed

krimple
03-09-2005, 14:46
Hi LCT - Welcome to the forum.

It's looking that the U.S. has got a (first?) batch from 15xx to 17xx and the U.K. 24xx to 25xx Anyone lower/higher? What about all you guys that purchased in Japan and Hong Kong?

Mine (USA) is a 17xx model.

Ken

Sean Reid
03-09-2005, 15:10
Welcome LCT!!! This is indeed a great little forum.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid
03-09-2005, 15:21
Welcome LCT!!! This is indeed a great little forum.

Cheers,

Sean

pfogle
03-10-2005, 03:01
... is 0034xx

cheers
Phil

J. Borger
03-10-2005, 04:18
An inbetweener here .............. 0002272 ... ....bought in Germany!

Jim Watts
03-10-2005, 04:53
... is 0034xx

cheers
Phil
Sounds like the U.K. or at least Robert White is getting a Second Higher Numbered batch? I'm looking forward to purchasing No. 9,999 soon for less than 500 :p

mtokue
03-10-2005, 06:19
Hi, Mine bought in Japan Last Month is ..000473 and a friend of mine has ..000205 bought last year also in Japan.

Mike.

sevres_babylone
03-15-2005, 22:49
18**. Bought from B&H last week.

Charles D. Orze
04-01-2005, 12:59
I purchased my R D1 from B&H and it is a sweet one. One hot pixel, framelines are perhaps a very tiny bit off, but not enough to worry about. SN is 00018xx.

Charlie Orzech

driggett
04-01-2005, 13:16
Mine has been/is 17xx, 193x, 192x. The first one bought from Calumet in SF the last two as replacements from Epson.
Cheers,
Chris

jlw
04-01-2005, 14:34
I like to watch the "Numb3rs" TV show, so I can't resist trying to detect patterns from this kind of info.

For example...

We still haven't gathered enough data to infer whether the serial numbers are a simple sequence, or numbered in batches, possibly by market area.

If you like the market-area hypothesis, so far it looks as if Asia could be block 000xxx, the USA could be block 001xxx, and Europe block 002xxx.

(This grouping could just be a coincidence based on the release date of the camera in various markets... except didn't the UK and Europe have their official rollout earlier than the US? If so, you'd think that the European cameras would be mostly 001s and the US cameras mostly 002s, rather than vice-versa.)

Meanwhile... If the serials are numbered in blocks, then how do they increment once a 999-unit block has been filled out? Does the first group to exhaust its block get the next available block, or is there some sort of system to this as well?

We have one report of a UK-purchased camera in the 003xxx block. (Epson apparently has been using our own pfogle as a sort of human mine-shaft canary for defective R-D 1s, so it's not surprising that Europe would exhaust its serial-number block first.)

Where will the next 003xxx camera appear? This could be the next clue in our evolving Epson Number Theory...

pfogle
04-02-2005, 03:36
Epson apparently has been using our own pfogle as a sort of human mine-shaft canary for defective R-D 1s.

We're all guinea pigs here ;)

Seriously though, I can't think of any other camera release that has generated so much research by the consumer... I think Epson should be paying us rather than us paying them!

What I *really* hope is that the interest generated will be enough to keep this line of product going... I'd hate to think that the R-D1 would fizzle out after all this. And it does raise the question of on-going support. :confused:

Is there any way this forum could be sent to Epson so they know what's going on?

Phil

Benjamin Marks
04-02-2005, 03:41
My original was from B&H s/n 1880. As I mentioned on another thread, that went back to Epson and they replaced with s/n 45xx. The 45xx camera has a slightly tighter feel (more positive snap to the jog dial when lifted, rotated etc.)

driggett
04-02-2005, 07:47
I have informed Epson USA of this forum and sent them the links to the viewfinder problem threads. So if they care they have the pointers to reads this forum. But you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink.
Cheers,
Chris

waldemarski
01-03-2007, 10:47
My initial refurb was 19xx, the latest one (received yesterday) is 46xx, so rather higher than most others. I haven't had a chance yet to check the shipped firmware, but has ANYONE received an actual R-D1s in the refurb system, or for it to be a "real" R-D1s (ie, with the change in the alignment screws) does it have to have the changed model designation marked on the camera? In other words, is there anyone with a camera marked R-D1 which also has the changed alignment screws?

RFNewbie
01-03-2007, 18:43
I just got mine last week from Epson. It's 46xx. This is my first RF camera and I'm loving it. Still have 2 dSLR but have not used them since I got this thing. It's much more fun to try and manually set everything again. It also allows me to carry it many more places because it so much smaller and looks inconspicuous. I love the analog gauges....so beautiful. Flip the screen around and nobody will know you have a digital. Doing almost all b&w with it, whereas the dSLR were 99.999% color. I just like the old look of the b&w pics which goes perfectly with the old look of the camera. I actually like it more than the M8 that I tried. Did I say how much I love this camera?

Charles D. Orze
01-03-2007, 18:48
Mine is 1846. Love it!

Charlie

delta images
01-05-2007, 15:34
Got # 122 last month in Ex++ condition from Japan

georgeaye
01-07-2007, 18:09
just got mine and I'm super excited to have it and relearn to focus manually again!

g

ehoward
01-09-2007, 09:34
Just got my refurb from Epson with serial number 001989. The camera is in pristine condition and looks to have never been used. Wonder where it has been the last couple of years? Anyone recognize this serial number as having been theirs at one time?

E.Howard

LeicaM3
01-15-2007, 14:51
Ordered Friday, got my RD-1 today (Monday).
46xx - not a single sign of use!

Looks fine, feels quite solidly build.

Happy.
Andreas

kchan
01-15-2007, 15:32
The box says 1818. Well that's on the box. Is there another one on the camera? Got it about a month ago and it looks a little "used".

-ken

waldemarski
01-15-2007, 17:51
serial number is on the hotshoe - only one on the camera, as far as I know. makes it rather easy to change serial numbers - just noting, not suggesting!
waldemar

docolmo
01-15-2007, 18:07
Hi,

my R-D1 body is number 2449, and I was wondering what other sn's were out there, what with the hype about only 10k being make, etc. Does anyone know what numbers were allocated to which countries?

cheers
Phil

Just got mine, R-D1s from Japan. As distributed comes with Japanese menu(!) and manual. Serial number xxxx101xxx. That's more than 100,000!

RichC
01-16-2007, 01:14
Just got mine, R-D1s from Japan. Serial number xxxx101xxx. That's more than 100,000!A huge jump. I have a suspicion that the R-D1s may have the prefix "1" to distinguish it from the R-D1. Be interesting to see if this is borne out by other R-D1s serial Nos.

docolmo
01-16-2007, 04:46
A huge jump. I have a suspicion that the R-D1s may have the prefix "1" to distinguish it from the R-D1. Be interesting to see if this is borne out by other R-D1s serial Nos.

No error here. The number on the box is xxx101xxx. On the hotshoe 101xxx. The box also shows Jan 2007 (manufacturing date?). If it is really a prefix 1, then serial number is only 1,000+. I think they must have produced a lot of R-D1s for the Japanese market.

manojd
01-16-2007, 08:07
I believe it is the serial number. My R-D1s is number 100XXX purchased July last year. It's funny how you can guess how many they produced between July and Jan, because mine has 9xx as the last three digits. So, they produced/sold less than 200 in the last 5 months, almost 1.x camera a day. That's a slow production line, but not a bad sales figure!

Elbow
01-18-2007, 20:43
Hello, First post on this forum. I recieved my Refurb from the U.S. about a week ago, serial # 15XX. Looks brand new except for a very tiny scratch on the base and a small bit of dust in the battery chamber. Back focus apparent, but I'll fix it. I'll add a few nice scratches in no time!
Rob.

Vagabond
01-20-2007, 05:19
Just got my refurb from Epson with serial number 001989. The camera is in pristine condition and looks to have never been used. Wonder where it has been the last couple of years? Anyone recognize this serial number as having been theirs at one time?

E.Howard

I received mine back in November '06 with a serial number of 0019xx and it is also in pristine condition without any sign of use on it. I've adjusted the slight infinity focus problem which also cured the close focusing and now everything seems to be fine.

LKSC
01-20-2007, 05:33
My R-D1s from Agust 2006 is 101XXX

RichC
01-20-2007, 07:42
It seems that the R-D1s serial No. is prefixed by "10" and the numbering restarted (from which number I don't know).

M4streetshooter
01-22-2007, 15:11
1011xx R-D1s just got from Japan. Funny tho..the firmware says version 1.0
I tried twice to do the upgrade but it didn't work...so heck with it.....

Topdog1
01-22-2007, 15:53
No error here. The number on the box is xxx101xxx. On the hotshoe 101xxx. The box also shows Jan 2007 (manufacturing date?). If it is really a prefix 1, then serial number is only 1,000+. I think they must have produced a lot of R-D1s for the Japanese market.

The sellers of new and slightly used R-D1(s) on eBay are all in Japan, so you could well be right. I bought one from Matsuiyastore in Japan and the default language it booted with was Japanese.

/Ira

Plasmat
01-22-2007, 19:00
M4streetshooter, Version 1.0 on the R-D1s is Version 2.0 of the software for the R-D1.

Don't keep trying to "upgrade", you ALREADY HAVE "Version 2", you could damage it.

Get it?

tmessenger
01-22-2007, 19:36
1011xx R-D1s just got from Japan. Funny tho..the firmware says version 1.0
I tried twice to do the upgrade but it didn't work...so heck with it.....

There are two files that have to be on the card when you do the upgrade, are they both on there?

Tim

Plasmat
01-22-2007, 19:43
Again, you cannot "upgrade" the R-D1s firmware to Version 2.0 because it is already upgraded.

The upgrade is ONLY for the R-D1

bchoiniere
01-22-2007, 22:54
Just got my refurb. SO far seems realy good condition, there is some paint missing on the left edge near the lcd screen arm.

Now I need a lens, and a half case; anyone help me out?)
Serial number = 001796

M4streetshooter
01-23-2007, 03:59
M4streetshooter, Version 1.0 on the R-D1s is Version 2.0 of the software for the R-D1.

Don't keep trying to "upgrade", you ALREADY HAVE "Version 2", you could damage it.

Get it?

Got it!...

I kinda figured that out in my sleep last night....but your post puts the issue at rest....

thanks.....by Saturday, I'll be hitting the streets of Brooklyn....

have a good day....later don

JBFreeheel
01-23-2007, 17:57
Hello All! First post for me!

I just bought a used RD-1 from Matsuiyastore on Ebay. It looks next to new except for some marks on the hotshoe and is upgraded to the RD-1s firmware. It seems to focus fine and the rangefinder frames seem straight and bright. I'm excited to get a number of shots under my belt with it.

However, to the point of this thread, get this, the number is 00007X.

Does anyone know if this is a pre-production model? I wonder at what number they went "public" with them and sold them through commercial channels. Perhaps this was an earl production that went to an Epson employee, who used it lightly, then sold it.

I'm going to email Matsuiyastore to see if he knows anything more about the history.

-Josh

M4streetshooter
01-23-2007, 19:50
I'm going to email Matsuiyastore to see if he knows anything more about the history.

-Josh[/QUOTE]

Hey JB,

Noriaki is a great guy. He sold me my R-D1s and a 35mm Biogon for a great price. The shipping is amazing...he shipped from Japan last Friday and Sunday morning at 10:30 am....EMS was there with the camera....needless to say, it made my day...and then some...(2 days from Japan)

good luck with the camera...My Leica's are sleeping for the moment while my affair with the new camera develops.....(no pun intended)....later...don

JBFreeheel
01-23-2007, 21:04
Thanks M4.

I just wonder who passed on/sold Noriaki number 00007X to him. Is it possible that cameras under #100 were sold to consumers?

-Josh

M4streetshooter
01-24-2007, 12:45
Something tells me that Epson doesn't get emotionally attached to cameras/serial #s.

I don't think they had the foresight to hold back cameras, afterall it's basically a sideline for them...even tho...they did a heck of a job......The R-D1s is a great camera. I sold 2 M8's after 2 weeks with themcause they weren't up to my expectations set forth by my M cameras.....The RD I'll keep....works great....more manual that auto...and definately very intuitive to use....I'm rambling...later don

oh...your welcome....

ZorkiKat
01-26-2007, 09:17
The sellers of new and slightly used R-D1(s) on eBay are all in Japan, so you could well be right. I bought one from Matsuiyastore in Japan and the default language it booted with was Japanese.

/Ira

My R-D1s was also bought in Japan. Default language, as well as bundled SW on disc are all in Japanese. It would be really bad if the camera only had Japanese as its language. It supports the same languages as other R-D1 sold elsewhere. Going through an all-Japanese menu to look for the language setting dialog box can be difficult- unless one knows which character ( 語 ) to look for as the cue for which menu tab does the language settings.

Camera's number is 1009XX.

Jay

JBFreeheel
01-26-2007, 11:04
All,

I'm curious, are the serial numbers on the boxes too, in addition to being on the hot shoe mount?

The used item that I purchased recently (00007X) didn't have any serial number/UPC codes on the boxes (both the fancy insert box or the exterior Epson RD-1 black cardboard box).

This makes me wonder more that perhaps mine is a pre-production unit rather than a retail unit.

Anyone else have serial number-less box to go with their RD-1?

-Josh

Jim Watts
01-27-2007, 03:39
All,

I'm curious, are the serial numbers on the boxes too, in addition to being on the hot shoe mount?

The used item that I purchased recently (00007X) didn't have any serial number/UPC codes on the boxes (both the fancy insert box or the exterior Epson RD-1 black cardboard box).

This makes me wonder more that perhaps mine is a pre-production unit rather than a retail unit.

-Josh

I found & checked the the boxes for my R-D1 0024xx purchased over two years ago and there are no serial numbers on either box. The outer brown box has a space for the number in large letters marked C/NO. with 1 UNIT under this, but there is no number added.

ZorkiKat
01-27-2007, 05:32
All,

-Josh

My camera came packed in two boxes- an outer plain brown corrugated one which enclosed the 'real' Epson black box. The outer box contained the camera's serial number, whilst the Epson box did not. It had four barcodes meant for 4 different regions marked "JAN", "UPC", "EAN Europe". "EAN China/HK/Taiwan".