PDA

View Full Version : Another Lucky Guy

Tom V
07-04-2007, 16:55
Hello all, this is my first post.

3 weeks ago I was browsing *Bay late Saturday night, in an impaired state. What should I see but a posting for "Lot of 6 cameras, plus film". Amongst the point and shoots was an Olympus RC with a very tatty looking case. They were mine for $12 plus shipping.

The box arrived yesterday and I think I got lucky!

The case was every bit as tatty as the photo, but intact, no ripped seams. The Oly was very dirty, but no scratches, no bent pieces, a bit of brassing on the bottom of the film door. The rewind lever feels a bit scratchy and needs help to return, but the shutter fires. The light seals are a sticky dissolved mess. The rangefinder is working and seems accurate but dim and hazy. There is still a battery in the battery well and no corrosion. In short, nothing wrong that a good CLA should not set right.

I'm gonna take it to the repairman at Seawood Photo tomorrow and see what he says.

A picture of my "Dirty Little Pretty Thing".

sweathog
07-04-2007, 17:32
I love looking the photography bulk lots.
3 early 90's P&S and 3 Trip 35's for about 10 including postage. It was tempting, but I think the other half'd kill me!

But yes, lucky man you are indeed.

zuikologist
07-05-2007, 01:18
Nice price for a bulk lot. Good luck with the CLA. The RC is worth resuscitating.

robin a
07-05-2007, 03:28
Good find,it even has a Oly lens cap.........Robin

Trius
07-05-2007, 04:15
That is going to be a nice shooter once she's cleaned up! I have looked at bulk lots and passed ... in part because of what sweathog said about his fate. It would be mine as well.

sweathog
07-05-2007, 07:33
That is going to be a nice shooter once she's cleaned up! I have looked at bulk lots and passed ... in part because of what sweathog said about his fate. It would be mine as well.

I haven't quite been able to talk her into becoming a camera-widow. Give me another few months :p

shadowfox
07-05-2007, 08:42
Aaah! lucky you! I have yet to find my sub-$10 RC with my name on it :)

Tom V
07-05-2007, 15:54
Aaah! lucky you! I have yet to find my sub-$10 RC with my name on it :)

Well it was $24 but who's counting?

Seawood guy didn't want to touch it, told me to clean it myself and remove most of the gummy seals...

It did have a ding though, its taken a hit on the top corner of the case above the rewind lever. I can't straighten it without getting the top cover off, and I don't have the tools. But nothing major.

Batteries Plus had a 625 replacement battery. The meter seems to match my handheld rather closely, although shot to shot it is not super consistent.

Self timer works, shutter speeds all seem to work, f-stops work, on to film!!!

shadowfox
07-06-2007, 09:42
Tom, maybe too late now, but in the future, I wouldn't bother with the replacement batteries, it's cheaper to use Walgreen hearing aid batteries (675 format) and pad the battery chamber with a rubber O ring from the hardware store.

Cale Arthur
07-06-2007, 10:01
I've been scoring some whopper Oly deals lately: got my RC for $5 at the local thrift.. cute as a bug's ear and a blast to use! Last weekend i picked up an OM-2 (w/a 50mm f1.4) at a flea market for $20 - outside of missing the manual/off/auto switch 'handle', it's in great shape, and as much as i hate to say it, it's knocked my Nikon F's
out of the 'daily user' position (at least temporarily). This thing just feels amazing! Also picked up a Zuiko 28mm f3.5 lens for $15.. whatever Oly-god is smiling down upon me, i sure hope this trend continues, 'cos i'm about to be fully converted!

--c--

Tom V
07-21-2007, 23:48
Delta 100, ID-11 1+2, commercial scan. The usual crop, levels, and sharpening.

Tom V
07-21-2007, 23:52
Dynaflow self-portrait.

Tom V
07-21-2007, 23:53
My friend.

shadowfox
07-23-2007, 08:41
Tom, looks like the test roll is a GO!
Nice tonality and contrast.

Eh, what do you mean "commercial scan"? just curious.

Tom V
07-23-2007, 13:54
Eh, what do you mean "commercial scan"? just curious.

Marin Filmworks, premium scan (3024-2008 jpegs), $10 a roll.

I have a Canonoscan 8400, but it takes a couple of hours to scan a roll, and my results are not as good as theirs.

ruben
07-24-2007, 13:07
My friend.

Hi Tom,
Lovely pic, no doubt. But lovely woman too! What an unusual comfortable look and pose she has towards you. Would you like to tell her in my name?

Cheers,
Ruben

Tom V
07-24-2007, 15:28
I will tell her she has (another) admirer!

ruben
07-24-2007, 15:32
This was not a subjective viewpoint.

Besides i live far away in some hills of the middle east.

Cheers,
Ruben