PDA

View Full Version : Probably very stupid but ......

jesse1dog
06-12-2007, 07:56
I've picked up another 35RC for very little.
I haven't had a film through yet but everthing looks OK and the viewfinder/rangefinder is a bit better than the first 35RC.

So why stupid?

The baseplate has had a name, and zipcode 'engraved' in the surface - done with a dotty machine, and badly too. So has anyone experience of removing the bright metal pin that holds the 'door'onto the body? If I can pick up a non-working 35RC then the stupid idea is to do a replacement with the 'door'.

I can hear the comments, like - why bother?
Answer - it would make me happier to have a cosmetically better looking camera.

Comments please - I'll rephrase that: sensible comments please!

FrankS
06-12-2007, 07:58
Put a piece of tape over it? Or a sticky label with your info.

greyhoundman
06-12-2007, 08:00
Don't try taking the pin out.

Lift the leatherette at the hinge. You will see the screws that hold the door on.

Where are you located?

jesse1dog
06-12-2007, 13:41
Hi greyhoundman
Thanks for the tip about the leatherette.
And I have lizard skin on order from Morgan so I'll wait until that arrives.
Of course you are right FrankS - but as the camera will be used loose ie without a case, a piece of tape doesn't feel right.

The Afon Fathew is one of the smaller Welsh valley rivers going into the Dysynni and then into the sea about 2 miles away. The Fathew runs at the bottom of the field just across the road outside the house. That's where I am.

greyhoundman
06-12-2007, 13:44
Is the engraving on the chrome bottom or on the painted lip on the back door?

JohnL
06-12-2007, 13:59
My grandmother used to live about three miles north of you, 60 - almost 70 - years ago, in a house called Craigmoor, on the west side of the Little Orme, with a view of the Great Orme. It's a lot more built-up there now than it was then. I took a look at it a couple of years ago. Small world.

jaypolaski
06-12-2007, 20:59
Not stupid at all. I have a 35RC with a few problems that I'd love to fix. I'd also like to find a parts camera to try and paint black without ruining the good one. Problem is, these things were made so well, I can't find one! Anybody know where one is?

shadowfox
06-13-2007, 06:56
The baseplate has had a name, and zipcode 'engraved' in the surface - done with a dotty machine, and badly too. So has anyone experience of removing the bright metal pin that holds the 'door'onto the body? If I can pick up a non-working 35RC then the stupid idea is to do a replacement with the 'door'.

Comments please - I'll rephrase that: sensible comments please!
This may be even stupider... (on my part)

so... the baseplate is engraved, and you're trying to switch the door?

I switched the baseplate of my 35 DC, 3 screws and its out. The RC's baseplate can't be that complicated to remove.

Kat
06-13-2007, 20:39
not stupid. My RC had a dented filter ring, but it delivered very nicely. Couldn't stand that dent, though, so I bought another, then another. Now I've got 3.:)

Spider67
06-19-2007, 00:54
Not stupid at all! I have to have my RD's shutter repaired and while the repairsman at it he will also replace the rangefinder housing which ist visibly dented on on e side......OK I admit it..it is a bit eccentric though

jesse1dog
06-29-2007, 02:29
:) Thanks guys - been a bit busy at this end and have now got round to having another look at the 35RC.

Quite right - the engraving is on the bottom plate and not the door - been stupid there!:D

But I've found the 2 screws for the door and removed it.
Thanks for the info about this.

I've now been able to clean out all the old seals rather more easiliy. I had no idea there was so much in all the nooks and cranies until I used my jeweller's eyeglass. Some I couldn't get at using Jon Goodman's little bamboo tool and needed some sort of hook instead.

:) Now some time back I was offered a set of old dental tools and picked up a bundle of half a dozen. I thought they just might come in useful sometime. And there was a most useful hook in the collection.

So next time you go to the dentist ask what happens to his old tool!