PDA

View Full Version : March's Theme?

lars
02-23-2004, 13:18
When will we know? I've got a fresh roll of film loaded.

;-)

...lars

Doug
02-23-2004, 22:02
Keep thinking shadows! Only 6 days left to produce even better shadow shots... :-)

r-brian
02-24-2004, 18:28
I vote for 'playgrounds' only because I want to try some color print film in my HiMatic 7s and there is a colorful playground behind my house.

Brian

Cpt.Caveman
02-24-2004, 18:38
Playgrounds is pretty cool. I never scan any of my rangefinder pics since I dont have a scanner.

But it is nice to see everyone else's work.

There is a "playground" about 2 blocks from my house with some colors in certain areas. What it really is - is a skateboard\bicycle park though. I guess it is a playground for older kids ;)

lars
02-24-2004, 20:51
Originally posted by r-brian
I vote for 'playgrounds'

In this day and age, that's the last place I want to be photographing.

I'll wait till there are no kids around.

r-brian
02-25-2004, 06:43
Lars,

My playground is the elementary school directly behind my house. Totally safe. But I could see where some inner city type of playground would not be so safe. Or where people may think you are shooting their kids. That definitely could be a problem. I am thinking of just shooting the colorful equipment, no kids (unless they're mine).

Cpt. Caveman,

I don't have a scanner either. I was thinking of having the film developed and put on CD at the local WalMart for an extra $3.00. That way I'd have something to post.

Brian

pshinkaw
02-25-2004, 07:24
These are tough times, and you should exercise some caution.

As a matter of personal practice, I DO NOT post pictures of my chidren on any publicly accessible part of the WWW. My best photography is of kids and their friends, but I do not allow it out in that forum.

May I suggest adult playgrounds? Golf courses, bowling alleys, shopping malls, etc?

-Paul

Brian Sweeney
02-25-2004, 07:33
Of course I am completely biased to make playgrounds the theme for March; a bad week is one that I do not get to take Nikki there.

I can understand hesitance on just showing up at a playground and taking pictures of others peoples kids. Kids love their pictures being taken. If you are "just showing up kidless", it is probably best to let the parents know what you are doing and that it is for a Photo project.

Brian Sweeney
02-26-2004, 02:08
How about Simply:

"At Play".

taffer
02-26-2004, 04:39
Originally posted by lars
In this day and age, that's the last place I want to be photographing.

I'll wait till there are no kids around.

Lars is right, nowadays even walking with a camera near a playground with childs can attract some "hostile" looks from their parents. I think if I had to do it I'd start by presenting myself as a photography student in assignment and offering them to see the pictures when developed.

Even doing that, I suspect a lot of parents would simply say NO. It's sad but with all you find in the news I understand them completely.

That's the sad but crude reality...

Oscar

pshinkaw
02-26-2004, 06:16
As a parent I have been asked that question (for some strange reason no one wants to take my photograph). My answer has also been, "Thank You, but no." Then I leave.

-Paul

lars
02-26-2004, 07:46
How about this theme: photos of the Vancouver, British Columbia, area? I think I could come up with something.

...lars

taffer
02-26-2004, 08:29
patience gentlemen :) i'm sure joe will come up with something soon.

too bad i don't have more shadows... it's raining since monday here... sigh...

oscar

back alley
02-26-2004, 11:19
thanks oscar, yes the next subject is in the can, so to speak. but patience gentlemen please.
it's snowing here today, i have the afternoon and tomorrow off but no sun in sight. maybe try my worklight and make my own shadows...

joe

SolaresLarrave
02-26-2004, 12:13
Originally posted by backalley photo
yes the next subject is in the can, so to speak. but patience gentlemen please.

I don't know, Joe, the "can" makes me think the subject may need some help to make bail... :p

Sorry, couldn't help. Spring apparently came around my neck of the woods! To think two weeks ago the corner of my street looked like this...

back alley
02-26-2004, 12:46
nice shot francisco.
altho i can't believe i said that about a snow shot - i'm sick of snow and ice and can't wait till summer.

joe

SolaresLarrave
02-26-2004, 13:11
Summer... does it really happen? I remember vaguely some time ago, when days were longer and warm, and I could drink lemonade, water, beer and all kinds of fluids... And carried a camera with me at all hours without fear of batteries dying on me.

Joe, you're a kind guy. We'll wait for your announcement! :)

GeneW
02-26-2004, 16:08
Crikey, I'm still working on the shadows assignment for Feb. Got a few shadows for the first time today in weeks. Need to shoot about another half roll before I'm ready to process the film. My postings for Feb may be a bit late ...

Gene

Brian Sweeney
02-27-2004, 15:09
Someday, soon, I am going to do a photo-essay on Nikki and her bout with Ulcerative Colitis. I hate Prednisone. A prednisone-fired temper tantrum is like a nuke going off comared to your average kid. I suppose that is why I take so many shots of her laughing and enjoying herself. Hey, if you had a model with a $500,000 Tushy, you would take a lot of pictures too. As far as posting them; she loves to see them on the site. I do know what you mean though;

Last Weekend; Canon 7 w Canon 50mm F1.4 @F4
Hard Part was pushing the swing and taking the picture.

rover
02-27-2004, 16:19
Brian, every parent understands your desire to photograph your daughter. I take so many pictures of my son sometimes I think he is going to get a sunburn. We have to enjoy all them, and the happy moments make all of them worth it.

SolaresLarrave
02-29-2004, 16:59
You two guys have gorgeous kids! They look smart and charming (how's yours doing with his Polaroid, rover?). And here I go, photographing a camera-impaired cat...

SolaresLarrave
02-29-2004, 17:01
Ooops! I didn't want (exactly) to post photos of Ben only... but also to remind poor joe about letting us know about March's project.

Can you come to the rescue, joe? Thanks! :D

Brian Sweeney
03-01-2004, 02:33
Rover and Francisco, Thankyou.

I understand about Polaroids. Nikki could do their commercials. Take a picture with anything but a Polaroid and I get:

"Where is the picture? I want you to get the camera that goes :p 'PFFFFHHHHTT' (rasberry sound) AND THERE IT IS!"

Fortunately there is a Ritz outlet near my house and I get Polaroid for $4 a pack.

I gave the Canon 7 a good work out at the Air and Space Museum this weekend and the M3 a workout at the Playground. Next weekend I should be shooting with a Nikon SP.:D

With those, and the Retina IIIS which I also use on a regular basis, I think I can do a good comparison on multi-frame parallax corrected interchangeable lens rangefinder cameras of the 50's. Say that on one breath.:eek:

jdos2
03-02-2004, 08:20
What kind of *REAL* Polaroid goes "PFFFFHHHHTT!?"

Ya gotta peel it apart, man!

:-)

Brian Sweeney
03-02-2004, 11:50
JD,
My Rebuilt SLR680 has a great "PFFFFHHHHTT!"

My Model 180, that Nina found in an Antique store with all of the accessories for $100, I peel apart. I just got it back with a new bellows installed. I also find 669 for $4 a pack.

jdos2
03-02-2004, 11:57
The purchase that got me back into photography:

2 CASES of out of date 667 from $100.

I learned a BUNCH about exposure that year. That's when I got into rangefinders, too, starting with my Grandfathers' Polaroid 430 and quickly moving to a Mamiya Universal with a 5 inch lens and two Polaroid backs...

Still love it- the ammonial smell, and telling whomever it is exactly *what* to peel off that's the picture. Fun at weddings.

Brian Sweeney
03-03-2004, 02:58
JD, Ypur Grandfather's 430! Now I feel old. I was 10 when my Dad let me start using his Model 104; that would be when you were born.

I think I will use the 180 for the March Theme; won't have to go through the lab and no negative.

If you still shoot Polaroid, look for a model with the Zeiss Finder. If your camera has a folding view-finder, you can replace the two-eyepiece style finders with a Zeiss finder. I did that on a Model 100 after finding a parts 250. Let me know if you are interested.

jdos2
03-03-2004, 07:56
I have moved away from the automated Polaroid bodies and gone straight to the Universal. It's rather more versatile.

I've got a 110 with a grafted pack-film back, done WELL before the current rage in that option. Looks like hell, but works well.

Brian Sweeney
03-04-2004, 02:53
Talking about Polaroid, CAN YOU BELIEVE that they had the BACKBONE to market this one!

http://www.polaroid.com/shop/shop_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444176165 6&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024126&bmUID=1078400900095&PRDREG=null

jdos2
03-04-2004, 09:01
Notice, please, that it's out of stock. I LOVE the idea, though I'd never spend the $85 it costs at the local shop. I have a hard time spending money on intentionally bad pictures. Even if "bad" can look "good."

I've mixed emotions about Polaroid- I honestly prefer the look of the Fuji licensed films, their color is GREAT! MUCH better than the traditional reciprocity-affected regular stuff.