PDA

View Full Version : any solution for dark rangefinder in XA

zsero
06-10-2007, 15:53
I have just bought an XA, which I really like. Its such an inspiring camera because I can bring it with me all day. I like it every time I find it in my pocket, such a compact tool for artists!

My only problem is that the small rectangle for rangefinder focusing is not bright at all. I mean that for some very contrasty scene, like looking at a corner of a TV screen, its OK, and when I cover the viewfinder hole, its a shining bright rectangle over the black window, but for everyday use its almost impossible to focus. I tried an XA of my friend and it had a much brighter/contrasty rangefinder.

Do you know what are the possibilities for servicing this issue?
1. Bring it to a professional who can do it
2. Try to clean it myself
3. Just buy an other XA?

Can you point me to any website about how to clean a rangefinder? I have heard that there is a small semi-mirror-like thing which needs to be re-silvered but I dont know how these works.

richard_l
06-10-2007, 16:13
My solution was to ignore the rangefinder and use scale focus. For a 35mm lens, focus is not critical at smaller apertures and moderate distances.

Richard

mackigator
06-10-2007, 16:41
I have a solution/work around for the dim XA viewfinder. I found this on the web and I am currently using this fix on my XA. First I used tape, and then, when it worked so well, I made it more exacting and permanent with a sharpie. Astronomically improved my dim XA's focusing abilities.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

Basically, you black out the center of the main viewfinder window, creating a very contrasty split image focusing area. Worked like a charm.

This fix has a huge advantage for me with a camera like the XA: cost. It's practically free. No $100 repair for a $40 camera if you use this one.

clintock
06-10-2007, 17:16
You've no doubt done what you could to clean the rf window on the front?
It makes a big difference..
A really permanent fix is to get an xa2 instead..

zsero
06-12-2007, 07:09
I have a solution/work around for the dim XA viewfinder. I found this on the web and I am currently using this fix on my XA. First I used tape, and then, when it worked so well, I made it more exacting and permanent with a sharpie. Astronomically improved my dim XA's focusing abilities.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

Basically, you black out the center of the main viewfinder window, creating a very contrasty split image focusing area. Worked like a charm.

This fix has a huge advantage for me with a camera like the XA: cost. It's practically free. No $100 repair for a $40 camera if you use this one.

Yes, I know this solution, it's not a pernament fix, but better than nothing. Do you think it's really hard to disassamble and assemble the camera and it's rangefinder by myself?