PDA

View Full Version : First shots with XA4

gdi
06-05-2007, 17:07
Acquired right here - I like it!

Trius
06-05-2007, 17:23
Damn. I made a big mistake. And GeneW is mad at me, too. Oh well, enjoy!!

Edit: ;)

Steve Bellayr
06-05-2007, 17:32
Have you ever used the XA, and, if so, how does it compare?

Chriscrawfordphoto
06-05-2007, 18:26
I've used both. The XA has a 35mm lens, the XA4 has a 28mm lens. Both have very nice lenses, but the XA has a rangefinder, while the XA4 is scale-focusing. The XA is aperture-priority auto, the XA4 is programmed auto. I prefer the XA, the rangefinder makes focusing more accurate and the ability to choose aperture is nice

jmilkins
06-05-2007, 19:02
I love my XA and XA4.

Great cameras with different functionality hidden in those clamshells.

The lens resolution on the XA4 is said to be slightly better and it close focusses to .3m...and while it lacks the rangefinder of the XA the 28mm FL allows a lot of depth of focus (as opposed to the better depth of field control of the aperture priority XA) .

You need one of each!

JJW
06-05-2007, 19:37
Both are excellent little cameras.

gdi
06-06-2007, 02:58
Damn. I made a big mistake. And GeneW is mad at me, too. Oh well, enjoy!!

Edit: ;)

Don't worry it is in good hands Earl!

gdi
06-06-2007, 03:03
I love my XA and XA4.

Great cameras with different functionality hidden in those clamshells.

The lens resolution on the XA4 is said to be slightly better and it close focusses to .3m...and while it lacks the rangefinder of the XA the 28mm FL allows a lot of depth of focus (as opposed to the better depth of field control of the aperture priority XA) .

You need one of each!

I can't tell any difference in resolution - but I haven't done any testing, just these snaps over the weekend.

I have used only my XA for about 20 years and the zone focus and full auto takes getting used to. I do miss having a proof of focus, seeing the meter and knowing what my speeds will be - but the extra FOV is really nice.

Yes, you should own both...

sleepyhead
06-06-2007, 03:46
I've used an XA for about 20 years and have owned two XA4s. I ended up selling both XA4s because the vignetting under low light conditions (i.e., wide open) was just un-acceptable (not just corners, but about one-quarter of each side of the frame).

Still, a very nice little 28mm lens camera, if i didn't own some other great equipment (like a CL with a 28mm tiny Kobalux lens, which offers WAY MORE CONTROL in a still quite small package), then I would have been tempted to keep one of the XA4s.

Attached are a couple of XA4 photos (mostly for the benefit of those members in this forum who don't take anything seriously unless backed up with pictures, fair enough...)

gdi
06-06-2007, 04:52
I've used an XA for about 20 years and have owned two XA4s. I ended up selling both XA4s because the vignetting under low light conditions (i.e., wide open) was just un-acceptable (not just corners, but about one-quarter of each side of the frame).

Still, a very nice little 28mm lens camera, if i didn't own some other great equipment (like a CL with a 28mm tiny Kobalux lens, which offers WAY MORE CONTROL in a still quite small package), then I would have been tempted to keep one of the XA4s.

Attached are a couple of XA4 photos (mostly for the benefit of those members in this forum who don't take anything seriously unless backed up with pictures, fair enough...)
I believe you ! And can confirm that there can be a lot of falloff with XA4. I like those shots BTW...

shadowfox
06-06-2007, 08:26

Ok, I just don't get it, what's *NOT* to like about the vignetting? it gave the picture swarmth and character. Your two pictures, to me, are more incentive to get an XA4, not the other way around.

Those are lovely pictures *enhanced* by the vignetting.

With today's technology, if I want no vignetting at all, I'd use the smallest digital P&S, those sensors are so tiny you'd have to really try make a lens small enough to produce vignetting :)

shadowfox
06-06-2007, 08:30
Acquired right here - I like it!

Excellent, I really like the wide-angle. My wife is currently fishing for an inexpensive one on the Bay, unless someone here is planning to get rid of one.

sleepyhead
06-06-2007, 13:46
Shadowfox, THANKS for the complement on my pictures, it's just that for those times when I don't want vignetting, it takes some work in photoshop to supress it, while I CAN ADD vignetting to any photo rather quickly in photoshop.

So, IF 28mm were one of my favorite focal lenghts (it's not), I probably would have kept the XA4 and loved it for it's tiny size, but since I use 28mm rarely, I prefer the CL with 40mm and the option of a tiny, sharp 28mm for those occasions.

Good luck on your hunt for one!