PDA

View Full Version : Pass the Camera project - guidelines, route, details

Pherdinand
02-28-2005, 06:40
Hello!
Glad to announce that the Canonet started its way. I will soon upload the first pic to the gallery.

A few things:
-I attach here a PDF with the general guidelines and notes regarding the project. The same thing travels printed together with the addresses and the camera. If it gets lost, feel free to print it out and put it in the box when you send the camera further.
-Jorge created a special RFF gallery called "Pass the camera" here (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/805) . Use this one to upload that special selected photo of yours. Details about it are welcome.
-Natalia created the tracking map; it's here (http://www.camerafool.com/6901.html ), mark it when you're done!
-Feel free to use, besides the forum, the electronic address rffD0TforumATgmaiD0Tcom for further communication, comments questions etc. The list of shipping addresses I will send to everyone, from that e-mail address, in case the printed one gets lost on the way. Also, the email addresses will be kept only for the participants (i just had to delete 110 spam mails after a weekend of no email-check).
Please, the ones that did not yet give an e-mail address to me, do it...

If anyone wants or has to resign from the project, please try to announce us in time so you can be cut out of the list.

Cheers & good luck with the shooting

Natalia
02-28-2005, 07:16
excellent job, Pherdinand. Can't wait till I get my turn:)

Gordon Coale
02-28-2005, 07:25
Let the fun begin. Thanks to Pherdinand for organizing this and thanks to Natalia for the map. Natalia -- I've been practicing Красногорский Механический Завод. Yeah, right!

lkgroup
02-28-2005, 08:28
Gordon, I see on the list I live about 40 miles from you in Burlington and I'm just ahead of your time to use the camera. When I get it and am ready to pass it on I will deliver it to personally.

Looking forward to the project

Leo

Gordon Coale
02-28-2005, 09:45
Leo -- Looking forward to meeting you. I will then be passing it on personally to 2maneecameras since he only lives about a half a mile from me as the crow flies.

Pherdinand
02-28-2005, 10:20
Cool:)
Now if the guys from the UK would offer to drive to Peter in Singapore ... things would go REALLY fast :D

GeneW
02-28-2005, 11:41
Pherdinand, fantastic to hear the project is launched! Nice work!

Hmmmm. If we make it to the end, this has the hallmarks of another book project for RFF ... :D

Gene

vladhed
02-28-2005, 14:54
Wow! Look at all the people!

Gene,

It will probably be summertime before we get it - probably not a bad thing for us Canadians. I see I get the honor of being sandwitched by you and our esteemed moderator/bard, Joe.

All I have to do is line up someone with an engraver - think they'll be any room left on the camera by the time we get it?!!?

cheers!

GeneW
02-28-2005, 16:53
LOL, vladhed! I doubt it -- how many RFF members names can you inscribe on the head of a pin?? :D

Gene

back alley
02-28-2005, 16:56
Wow! Look at all the people!

Gene,

It will probably be summertime before we get it - probably not a bad thing for us Canadians. I see I get the honor of being sandwitched by you and our esteemed moderator/bard, Joe.

All I have to do is line up someone with an engraver - think they'll be any room left on the camera by the time we get it?!!?

cheers!

i'm just going to engrave P on it. think anyone would guess it's me?
i'm close to last on the list so i can see some snow shots maybe.
joe

Natalia
02-28-2005, 17:07
I was thinking of engraving my full Russian name (17) plus my last name now (11 letters) ;)

Pherdi, do you want it in Russian or English?

Honu-Hugger
02-28-2005, 17:24
I was thinking of engraving my full Russian name (17) plus my last name now (11 letters) ;)

Pherdi, do you want it in Russian or English?

Natalia,
I vote for Russian because the letters are great! (we will still know it is your name:D)

Honu-Hugger
02-28-2005, 17:27
Pherdi,
Congratulations and a huge thank you! I just looked at your pictures -- there were so many really great ones I didn't have time yet to comment, but a very nice way to set the tone for this adventure. We are forever grateful...

Peter
02-28-2005, 17:49
Cool:)
Now if the guys from the UK would offer to drive to Peter in Singapore ... things would go REALLY fast :D

That is one long trip by land! Anyone for the Orient Express! :D You know what Pherdinand? At the end of the project, RFF will have enough photos for a book and you have a camera with all the names in the base plate (instant collector item)! ;)

rbiemer
03-01-2005, 01:18
Wonderful, Pherdinand! And Natalia! Can't wait. I have learned the hard way to NOT try to convey my enthusiasm about this to my family , friends and/or co-workers. They get this odd glassy eyed look about them... :D Philistines.
I am seriously writing down ideas for this.
Rob

taffer
03-01-2005, 01:40
Pherd, Nat, this is great, many thanks from here !!!! :D

We can also opt to the Guiness for 'the most engraved camera baseplate' :D

Pherdinand
03-01-2005, 02:26
hehe:)
Natalia - cyrillic is definitely preferred!
Guys just engrave whatever and however you wish; if I once get the canonet back, it will be my coolest camera ever.

Rob - funny; when i told my girlfriend and some friends about it, they have found it hilarious. In fact, a south-african friend of mine offered to take it down there for a few shots, - but he has no ideas about rangefinders nor this forum. I should have introduced him to RFF before! :bang:

RML
03-01-2005, 21:07
OK! The camera is on its way to Belgium! I had a hard time shooting two rolls and come up with something useful. I haven't had time to develop the films yet, let alone scan the negs, but as soon as I have them I'll post them.

One thing, though. The advance lever seems to come loose a little after a while. I found that can be remedied by screwing the top plate of the advance lever tight again.

BTW, FYI, sending the box to Belgium cost me 8.40 euro by standard mail. Standard mail should do the trick to Belgium, though others might have to send priority mail or even registered mail.

impact07
03-01-2005, 22:25
Pherdinand. I messaged you about the email. Awaiting your reply. Thanks!

st3ph3nm
03-01-2005, 22:36
Pherdi, Natalia, thanks very much.

Pherdi, especially. Apologies for not getting back to you on a few items, glad you picked it up and ran with it - I got bogged down in work issues (stocktake amongst other things) this last weekend so sorry about that. Looking forward to getting my hands on the camera!

Cheers,
Steve

Pherdinand
03-02-2005, 00:15
Remy - it's ok for the lever to have a "free" movement of about 15 degrees before it engages the winding/cocking mechanism. Are you talking about that, or it really comes lose? I guess somebody has to tighten it stronger than, i might have been too careful when reassembled after the VF cleaning.

When I sent the TLR to Taffer, it also cost me euro 8,40. That's Spain. I guess it's the same for the whole EU (?)

Pherdinand
03-02-2005, 00:24
No prob Steve - you wrote the most of it down, so it was easy:) thanks!

RML
03-02-2005, 00:25
Remy - it's ok for the lever to have a "free" movement of about 15 degrees before it engages the winding/cocking mechanism. Are you talking about that, or it really comes lose? I guess somebody has to tighten it stronger than, i might have been too careful when reassembled after the VF cleaning.

No, I'm really talking about the lever being loose and not engaging at all over the whole range of motion. It first happened halfway my first roll. I thought I had broken off something because as I was advancing the lever "snapped" loose and didn't advance the film any further. Things became gradually worse, until the lever wasn't engaging at all anymore. I was left with a dangly bit on the top of the camera. Fortunately I found out that the lver's top plate can be screwed back tight, which fixed things.

When I sent the TLR to Taffer, it also cost me euro 8,40. That's Spain. I guess it's the same for the whole EU (?)

Let's hope so.
Shipping to Asia may be more expensive and fraught with more danger, though. I recommend shipping things registered mail (having lost a box sent to India when I sent it regular mail, but never losing any parcels to India or Mongolia when sent by registered mail).

Pherdinand
03-02-2005, 00:44
Thanks, Christopher-Impact07. I'll be sending the thing to you soon.

Natalia
03-09-2005, 11:41
Remy, your "map entry" was authorized. I see you in the list, but where's the "little man" figure?

added: Nevermind, Remy, your "man" was hiding behind Pherdi's.

mac_wt
03-09-2005, 13:50
OK, I just finished scanning my rolls of film and I just engraved the camera and packed it for shipping. Now, I have two problems:
1) On tuesday I PM'ed RubenBlaedel, requesting confirmation of the shipping address, but I haven't heard from him yet. I saw he visited the site today. Should I send it anyway?
2) I also had some technical problems: both film I put trough it got stuck after about 25 frames. Both films also got scratched. This could have happened in the lab, but it never happened to me before. If one of the other users has the same problems, I'm willing to offer my own canonet as a replacement and to send it wherever it has to go.

Any advice or opinions?

Wim

Pherdinand
03-10-2005, 00:35
Remy, your "map entry" was authorized. I see you in the list, but where's the "little man" figure?

Yeah, Remy's a shy guy, shooting from behind shoulders:)

Pherdinand
03-10-2005, 00:40
Umm, Wim...
1: i would just send it away, i have also seen Ruben active here in these days.
2: It worked fine for me... Used only one roll of 36 but went through without problems. No scratch no stuck. Remy reported loosening of the retaining ring-screw of the winding lever but that was solved by re-tightening... But, feel free to replace it with your canonet if you're sure the problem is there! It's a long trip's beginning only...it should resist for alot more. Thanks for the report!

EDIT: Wim, there's another solution to the scratching problem, maybe. I have a canonet with broken top, i can send its pressure plate to you so you can replace it. I don't remember how the one on that looks(could you check it?) - but this one looks smooth and good. Is the scratch on the emulsion side, or on the backside of the film? If it's on tha backside, should be produced by the pressure plate...Easy to replace and cheap to send, it's a small thing. Dunno about the jamming, though.

RML
03-10-2005, 04:46
I didn't have any problems with scratches or stuck frames and, unfortunately, I can't give any useful advice not being a Canonet owner myself.

BTW, can someone scratch my nickname in the camera? "RML" will do, unless Wim is happy to scratch my full name (Remy Martin Lang) on the camera. :p

RML
03-10-2005, 04:47

Thanks, Natalia!

RML
03-10-2005, 04:48
Yeah, Remy's a shy guy, shooting from behind shoulders:)

Oh yes, very shy! Though my wife says differently, always commenting on my chatting with complete strangers. :p

Natalia
03-10-2005, 06:41
always commenting on my with complete strangers. :p

a quality invaluable to a street shooter!

RML
03-10-2005, 11:49
a quality invaluable to a street shooter!

Too bad I'm not shy when it comes to chatting but terribly shy when it comes to shooting people... always afraid of their comments. But getting better little by little. By the time I'm 55 (in 20 years) I won't be shy anymore. :p

Natalia
02-08-2006, 13:28
The map at camerafool.com is not operational anymore - sorry, guys. It can be obtained and set up freely through bravenet.com though.

taffer
02-08-2006, 13:58
Thanks for the info Nat ! And glad to see you back !!! :)

nwcanonman
03-10-2006, 21:33
The map at camerafool.com is not operational anymore - sorry, guys. It can be obtained and set up freely through bravenet.com though.
Good to know, does anyone have a new URL yet?
Also, where is the mailing list now? My old list shows that I was right after Gordy, now I'm confused. I guess that after I'm finished it still goes to Russ in Vancouver, WA :confused:

Gordon Coale
03-10-2006, 22:09
Harold -- The list with the camera shows it going to 2maneekameras next and then to you and then Russ. I will be passing it on to 2maneekameras Monday. (He's off playing in the snow this weekend. The swine.) He lives about a half mile through the woods from me.

nwcanonman
03-11-2006, 07:33
Thanks Gordy. My original list was printed out last Spring and didn't have 2MC on it. I just wanted to make sure I should still send it to the right person when I'm done, if the list had changed ~ ; - )

Pherdinand
03-12-2006, 09:59
I hope it finds its way. The correct list should be the last one I have sent from the rff.forum at gmail account. Somewhere end january 2005 i think. I don't have the list itself, anymore. Or, maybe, i have it somewhere on an email account attached to a sent mail or something:)
Complicated - i kinda moved since, changed job, i have the harddisk with list, all the data etc but i left it in the Netherlands.
My life is quite boring and complicated right now. Both in the same time.
But i try to follow the stuff here.

Honu-Hugger
03-12-2006, 10:20
I was wondering about the list as well, is it posted anywhere on the site?

Pherdinand
03-12-2006, 10:24
i can't access the rff.forum mail address on gmail anymore; that's what i used to send the list out to the participants.
Rover should be able to dig it out...if noone can send it. I did not post the list with addresses here for privacy reasons, but the list of names should beright here in the beginning of the thread i think!

nwcanonman
03-12-2006, 10:27
Pherd,
No problem, I'm sure that someone will speak up if Russ sends it on from Vancouver, WA.
I hope, for your sake, that like becomes simpler and more FUN !
~ ; - )

Pherdinand
03-12-2006, 10:28
oh sure it does, on first of april it will :) but thanks

Gordon Coale
03-12-2006, 10:49
I have the hard copy of the list and will scan it and post it later.

rbiemer
03-12-2006, 16:41
I still have the last one Pherdi sent me and would be happy to email it to whom ever needs it.
PM me or email me, folks.
Rob

rbiemer
03-12-2006, 20:35
Honu-Hugger(and any one else who needs it): I dug through my emails and I found it I attatched it to this post and then decided that was a really dumb idea. Sorry. I deleted the attatchment.
Back to my original offer.