PDA

View Full Version : Do you smoke?

Pages : [1] 2

dmr
05-25-2007, 16:46
Mostly curiosity, driven from a similar topic on another board. Sorry if you consider it OT.

jarski
05-25-2007, 16:53
why not add "yes", "no", "perhaps", "dont know" options to your poll?

I smoked, but some 3-4 years ago I quit..

edit: sorry I replied when there were no options yet..

ChrisPlatt
05-25-2007, 16:53
Dr. Pasteur – “Do you drink?”
Hymie the robot – “Only a little oil now and then.”

Dr. Pasteur – “Do you smoke?”
Hymie the robot – “Only when I drink cheap oil.”

Chris

colyn
05-25-2007, 16:54
I can't vote since there is no option "never"

Never have and never will !!!

After having to watch my dad die from emphysema this past March there is no way anybody can convince me that smoking is harmless.

Al Patterson
05-25-2007, 16:57
That depends. I do enjoy a cigar from time to time, but cigarettes are a huge waste of money. Not to mention what they do to your health in the long run.

dmr
05-25-2007, 17:06
In case anybody doesn't like the selections, I copied them verbatim so I can compare one to another.

Yes, you can, first option, never except for MAYBE the occasional try, which in your case maybe does not apply. :) (pack-year history of zero)

Never have and never will !!!

Good!

Same here, but in my case the maybe the occasional try does apply.

After having to watch my dad die from emphysema this past March there is no way anybody can convince me that smoking is harmless.

One main reason I never started, despite all the peer pressure to do so (and yes, it was there in the 60s and 70s, even for girls) was watching my mom unsuccessfully try to quit over and over and over and give up in frustration. :(

steamer
05-25-2007, 17:17
I smoke a couple of good Cuban puros in a year. Used to smoke Luckies or Marlboros quit about 15 years ago and now I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. Cigarette smoke is an unpleasant part of living in Tokyo, where a huge percentage of males smoke.

back alley
05-25-2007, 17:23
Do you smoke?

tobacco?

jpbob100
05-25-2007, 17:25
quit cigarettes in my early 20s. Quit my pipe in my early 30s. Still enjoy the occassional stogie(maybe one or two a month).

Bob

dmr
05-25-2007, 17:31
Do you smoke?

tobacco?

Yes, that's what is implied. "Are you a user of products supplied by the nicotine delivery industry?" might be another way of putting it. :)

(Now just watch somebody refer to patches or gum.) :)

back alley
05-25-2007, 17:36
Yes, that's what is implied. "Are you a user of products supplied by the nicotine delivery industry?" might be another way of putting it. :)

(Now just watch somebody refer to patches or gum.) :)

ah...then no.

i quit cigarettes years ago and cigars about 18 months before my heart attack, but i surely would love a really good cigar.
despite having cubans readily available here i liked the cigars from the dominican republic best.

joe

nico
05-25-2007, 17:41
I quit smoking cigarettes (very happy about it!) but I still like - occasionally - to smoke a strong handmade "Toscano" cigar.
out of curiosity, are these toscano cigars known outside Italy?
Ciao

colyn
05-25-2007, 17:42
One main reason I never started, despite all the peer pressure to do so (and yes, it was there in the 60s and 70s, even for girls) was watching my mom unsuccessfully try to quit over and over and over and give up in frustration. :(

That was my dad.. He'd say "I'm going to quit" but within days be back to smoking.

rich815
05-25-2007, 17:44
How about yes, but not cigarettes? :eek:

steamer
05-25-2007, 17:50
Nico, Toscano cigars seem to be well known (had a quick google), but I've never had one.

erikhaugsby
05-25-2007, 17:51
How about yes, but not cigarettes? :eek:

Then we'd be forced to call the ATF on you. And Interpol too, just for good measure. :D:D:D

oftheherd
05-25-2007, 18:00
I quit smoking cigarettes the last time over thirty years ago. Smoked cigars some after that but I didn't inhale (because I couldn't). Then chewed for some time after that, but quit that almost twenty years ago. If my wife could quit I wouldn't have to worry about 2nd hand smoke either. That is unpleasant.

BillBlackwell
05-25-2007, 18:07

Never have and never will!

Same answer here...

RF photography, processing, general (photo) topics? I am sure there is a reason for this particular question here, but for the life of me I can't think of what it might be.

Keith
05-25-2007, 18:08
Dr. Pasteur – “Do you drink?”
Hymie – “Only a little oil now and then.”

Dr. Pasteur – “Do you smoke?”
Hymie – “Only when I drink cheap oil.”

Chris

Doctor to patient ... "Do you or your partner ever smoke after you make love?"

Patient ... "Possibly ... but I've never looked!"

:D

ChrisPlatt
05-25-2007, 18:08
My dad smoked Camels and died of lymph cancer in his early fifties.
My mom smoked for 50 years and died of complications from an unrelated (?) cancer.
My stepfather smoked (and drank heavily) and just made Social Security
before dying of lung cancer that metastasized to his brain.

Thanks to my negative role models I have never smoked anything ever.
I am not rabidly antismoking. I leave that to the ex-smokers...

Chris

Rhoyle
05-25-2007, 18:39
Actually, I think that this is an interesting thread. It used to be (a good 30+ years ago) that ALL photographers smoked. Growing up, I never saw a person with a camera who wasn't smoking. In addition, my father, an avid and quite good amateur photographer smoked for many years, until his first heart attack. My brother, who did jump in and become a pro smoked. I smoked until 8 years ago, when my son was born. I wonder if it had anything with the bohemian artistic lifestyle, or just a sign of the times when so many people smoked...

dmr
05-25-2007, 18:48
Same answer here...

RF photography, processing, general (photo) topics? I am sure there is a reason for this particular question here, but for the life of me I can't think of what it might be.

I posted it because I saw it on another board (not related to photography) I frequent and I was curious as to how the answers here would compare.

I will bring up a photo angle, which is kind of a peeve of mine, and that is photos that glamorise the smoking habit. It's not nearly as bad as it was years ago, but still there. The Hollywood style portraits featuring the well-known iconic smokers, and even runway shoots featuring the cigarette as a fashion accessory, usually along with model features which emphasize smoking. >>GAG<< If you can get Vogue Italia, it seems to be currently the worst of the bunch. Fortunately most of the fan/gossip rags (not that I regularly read them) :) seemed to simultaneously knock it off a few years ago.

There is a very well known locally-based musician who has now become one of those iconic smokers, and it just makes me sick to think that some are actually trying to make smoking way-cool again. :(

MelanieC
05-25-2007, 18:56
I asked a friend to teach me how to smoke when I was 16, because I was such a goody-goody and wanted to do at least one thing that was bad.

I have never in my life craved a cigarette, and I don't enjoy the smell or the taste, and if no one around me is smoking it does not even occur to me to have a cigarette, which means I can go days, weeks, or months without having one. But I am a social smoker, which means that in the right circumstances (i.e., out at a bar with friends who smoke -- not that there are all that many bars anymore that allow smoking) I can put away an entire pack in one sitting. Then I walk away and don't have another cigarette for months, until the next time I go out with the same smoking friends to the same smoky bar. People who smoke habitually don't consider me a smoker. People who never smoke do. When I tell my doctors how much (or how little) I smoke they always comment that smoking so little doesn't matter, although I think the evidence is beginning to suggest differently.

Since I moved to San Francisco I've basically stopped smoking altogether because not only does no one smoke here, people look at you like you're Satan if you do. I used to smoke sometimes if stressed out (OK, I smoked a LOT while finishing my dissertation), or if I was driving and getting drowsy, but I don't anymore because usually the taste and smell gross me out and it feels like a waste of time.

That said, while I was working on an archaeological excavation in Morocco earlier this month I smoked like a chimney because everyone around me was smoking. Some of us were Europeans and some of us were social smokers and basically we were all feeding off each other so we were all smoking our asses off (I can't explain dig life, really, but I think it's a lot like being at summer camp, you spend practically 24 hours a day with a small group of people). But since I've gotten back I haven't had a cigarette and gave away the ones that were still in my purse. I was supposed to be gone for a month and had to come back early because my favorite dog almost died. He's pretty much recovered now, and saved my lungs from three more weeks of cigarette smoke.

nikon_sam
05-25-2007, 18:59
I have maybe smoked about 1/3 of a cigarette and that was over 35 years ago when as a kid I tried smoking with some friends...
I do like the aroma of a pipe and once while in Spain the guys were smoking a short cigar after lunch and it really smelled good...
Other than that I don't like the smell of tobacco...or coffee...

daaris
05-25-2007, 19:19
I smoked for six regretful years and quite cold one day. A lot of restraunts in Virginia are either going non-smoking or offering nice non-smoling areas.

arbib
05-25-2007, 19:19
NO Option for:
I did a long time ago, But never again :cool:

erikhaugsby
05-25-2007, 19:24
He's pretty much recovered now, and saved my lungs from three more weeks of cigarette smoke.

Man's best friend. Glad that he's better now, too.

greyhoundman
05-25-2007, 19:33
What about the long term folks who have quit?
40+ plus years and cold turkey. Now if Scotch were so easy. LOL

arbib
05-25-2007, 19:34

Very Funny, and thanks again for your wit. :D

Would that be a smoking gun ??

Covich
05-25-2007, 19:53
Cigarettes or marijuana?

SDK
05-25-2007, 19:58
In college, I roomed with a group including several smokers, and once in a blue moon I would have a cigarette, but I never liked them. While living with the guys who smoked, I had frequent bouts of bronchitis and asthma. I can't blame it all on them as I did some non-tobacco smoking in those days. My first boyfriend smoked, and my lung problems occasionally resurfaced. For the past 16 years I am fortunate to live with a nonsmoking boyfriend and am healthy as an ox (except for tree pollen allergies). Secondhand smoke of any sort totally grosses me out now, and I have to speed past smoking pedestrians to get away from them.

One funny anecdote:

When my brother and I were in kindergarden, we found out that cigarettes were bad for people's health. Our father and mother both smoked a pack a day, so we intervened. Every time one of them put down a cigarette in an ash tray, even if just lit, whoosh we swooped in and stubbed them out (with extreme prejudice). I think I was five years old then. Our campaign was very quickly successful, and our parents both quit within a very short time.

Shortly thereafter, I went to work with mom one day, at the family photo, record and music supply store. There I saw a lady cashier smoking behind the counter, I think her name was Edna. You can probably guess what I did when Edna turned away from the cigarette to help a customer. She was irate at the destruction of her personal property, and I learned that you can't help acquaintances out of their addictions in the same way you manage your parent's health vices. Fortunately, Edna understood that I meant well, after I explained it to her. She died a couple years later, and was replaced with a non-smoking, although dimwitted, cashier named Esta, who pronounced German composer Richard Wagner's name as if Wagner were from midwestern America. Well, nobody's perfect.

SteveM(PA)
05-25-2007, 20:32
Hey George, what happened to your pipes?

I was never a true Goth teen, but they came to the clubs I used to play at, and they all smoked cloves. Occasionally I light one up, and it takes me right back. I also tend to keep a pack of Dunhill milds in the kitchen cabinet, just for the fact that they're divided into halves. It will last me about 2 months.

My dad and uncles have always smoked pipes, and I can't believe how totally anachronistic that has become...seems like it's totally died, no matter how much Esquire tries to bring it back every couple years. I have an old $9 CVS pipe, but feel like I need a whole outfit to go with it...eye patch, parrot...argh!

When I go out with Dad to flea markets and such, people tend to follow us around and comment on how much they enjoy the smell (um...of the pipe :) ).

Nando
05-25-2007, 21:30
I smoked in when I was a teenager. I quit when I went to university where it was very unfashionable with my friends and I just could not afford to spend money on them. I do not enjoy the taste nor the smell anymore so I don't even want to try them again. But I do enjoy a good cigar now and again. When the rare occasion I think I might find myself smoking socially, I buy a pack of good cigarillos as they are smoked like cigars but it takes much less time to go through one and that frees me up to do other things. I usually give most of the cigarillos to my friends anyway as they always want to try them. Always run into the situation of teaching someone how to smoke it properly without inhaling.

dostacos
05-25-2007, 21:52
used to smoke a pipe and cigars quit the habit too much money

telenous
05-25-2007, 21:57
I smoke Partagas and St Bruno flake. Not much. About a couple of cigars and 50 gr. of pipe tobacco per week. I used to smoke cigarettes for many years too but I just don't any more.

are these toscano cigars known outside Italy

Nico, I love Toscanos, but I learned about them in one of the many times I 've driven from the UK, through Italy, to Greece (and vc. vs.). I now see them on sale in all proper tobacco shops in both the UK and Greece, so somebody must be smoking them apart from me. They are rough, strong but they are also a terrific smoke.

Ducky
05-25-2007, 21:59
With coffee on the outside patio at Starbucks or my favorite cafe. Sometimes in the swing on our patio. Never just to have a smoke, it's usually associated with relaxing. I usually end up throwing away a third of a pack of stale cigs. Oh, and always with a Zippo. No Zippo, no smoke.

JimG
05-25-2007, 22:02
"A pack of smokers" That's good George.

Any time I want a smoke I picture myself wheeling around an oxygen tank with a mask. Not a sexy look.

David Murphy
05-25-2007, 22:08
I smoked many years ago. As much as I liked it, I figured it was not part of a recipe for a long life so I gave it up! Knowing a few people that were killed by smoking further motivated me.

mich8261
05-25-2007, 22:24
and shouldn't one of the them be simply "Never"?

DannL
05-25-2007, 22:30
I quit cold turkey (no substitutes) on September 2005 after 25 years of smoking like a chimney. Smoking was the stupidest thing I ever did. I wish I had never started. But hey! After a year and a half, I have never felt better in my life. At this point I could probably run to the top of Mount Everest and still have energy to cut the lawn when I got back.

If you want to quit, just do it. It's easier than it sounds. Anybody that says it's an addiction is on crack. It's not a physical addiction . . . it's a habit. It's not the chemicals . . . it's the comfort of the ritual. Break the ritual and do something different. Don't forget to reward yourself each time you fail to smoke.

Oh BTW . . . I have absolutely no cravings to smoke, even when around smokers. I now think it smells like burning buffalo dung.

Doug
05-25-2007, 22:44
Never smoke any more. I did smoke cigarets but not very much until military basic training. There, being given a smoke break was an earned privilege, so if you didn't smoke you got nothing. And they were so very cheap in the base exchange, no taxes I suppose.

When I was posted near Izmir Turkey, any time I'd walk around downtown I'd be approached multiple times by local guys who wanted to bum a cig off me. They'd see the square shape of the pack in my shirt pocket. Ungracious to say No but they didn't even stick around to light up when I gave in, instead tucking it carefully away. American cigarets were in high demand, I guess they sold the ones I gave out, or used them for trading. To avoid this I switched to smoking a pipe.

I traded a (cheap) carton of Chesterfields to a guy (who worked in the same building) from Eskisehir which is a center for the making of meerschaum pipes, and with that carton on a visit home he swapped for a beautiful fancy white meerschaum pipe he brought back to me. Quite a deal... never smoked it, more of a display piece.

I finally quit smoking completely in response to gentle constant pressure by my wife who objected to the 2nd-hand smoke, also pointing out our cats had to suffer that too. I chose an opportunity in the early-1980's when we flew to Hawaii for two weeks vacation, and just left my pipes etc at home. Knew I wouldn't be smoking in the terminal or on the plane, and while there we'd be busy swimming, shopping etc so less smoking opportunity anyway. And when we got back I just stayed quit, and after a few months I rather forgot about wanting to smoke. Good move, and well in advance of the societal trend. :)

I'll vote the first option in the poll, but the "occasional try" doesn't apply.

Oh BTW . . . I have absolutely no cravings to smoke, even when around smokers. I now think it smells like burning buffalo dung.That reminds me, Turkish tobacco, as processed there, smells/tastes like what I'd imagine camel dung is like. Very distinctive...

lff
05-25-2007, 22:45
Started with smoking pipes w/ friends in high school around '85. Eventually picked up cigarrettes & smoked them plus the pipe (for a time anyway) with one 1 year hiatus in the late 90s.

Then in June of 2000, I was getting into bicycle racing (thinking 5 handrolled cigarrettes a day wasn't a problem) when I went for a ride w/ a friend that used to smoke more than me. 15 minutes into the ride he killed me on the first hill & I noticed for the millionth time how hard it was to breathe.

After the ride I smoked a cigarrette for the drive home & haven't smoked since.

jan normandale
05-25-2007, 23:03
I quit smoking cigarettes (very happy about it!) but I still like - occasionally - to smoke a strong handmade "Toscano" cigar.
out of curiosity, are these toscano cigars known outside Italy?
Ciao

Nico.. they were available in Canada until the shops decided they couldn't sell enough to make it worthwhile. Small, dry, dark, expensive... not a popular choice. Think about one Euro per smoke..

photogdave
05-25-2007, 23:08
My mom smoked while I was growing up. After dad moved out mom brought in boyfriends who smoked. Our house smelled so bad my friends wouldn't even come over to visit. I suffered chronic headaches the whole time.
Anyone who takes up this habit in this day and age is a moron, pure and simple. There is absolutely no point in cigarette smoking. One of my personal photo projects is documenting how smokers are littering and ugly-fying our environment.
The poster who mentioned having to speed past pedestrians who smoke really hits home. That's my daily walk to work - holding my breath while shifitng into high gear to pass the smokers!
Having said all that, I really like the smell of pipe tobacco!

gb hill
05-25-2007, 23:47
I can't stand cigarettes. They give me headaches. I do like an occasional cigar, and have a pipe that sometimes i'm in the mood for. I don't inhale, just like the taste of the tobacco. Then I lean toward aromatics in my pipe tobacco, the english blends are too harsh for me.

dmr
05-26-2007, 00:37
Anybody that says it's an addiction is on crack. It's not a physical addiction . . . it's a habit. It's not the chemicals . .

Let's see ... how do I put this ... I'm not on crack, that's one thing I've never been stupid enough to touch! (Are you?) :)

I might disagree, or rather there are many who are more qualified than I am to disagree as to nicotine's addictive properties. It's well known that it's a stimulant and euphoriant and does create a physiological craving. Google this, you will find countless references.

You may be immune to it. I sometimes think I might be. I never got anything at all of a "buzz" when I tried it. They say that nicotine crosses the blood-brain barrier within seconds. I sure never felt anything.

The one thing I am qualified to say regarding addiction is Mom, when she would try to quit. This was someone who was college educated (ironically, she started in college when "it was just the thing to do"), very bright, normally pleasant, and othewise very attractive. She would try to quit and turn into a total b*tch. There was more to it than my breaking of the nail-biting habit. When she was trying to quit she was unpredictable. Anything you said or did would set her off. She did eventually quit after countless tries and I think what made the difference is that she did not announce it in advance and make a big deal of it. I don't think I noticed it for a week or so.

I have absolutely no cravings to smoke, even when around smokers. I now think it smells like burning buffalo dung.

This is one thing I will agree on. (I can't attest to ever smelling burning buffalo doodoo, but I have changed many diapers and cleaned out my share of catboxes!) The main reason I did not like smoking is because it tasted (and smelled) like sh*t. I don't know any other way to put it. (Or at least what I might imagine sh*t to taste like.) The first time I tried it I could still taste it the next morning and it was totally repulsive. :(

The one thing I never understood is that my friends at the time who smoked would say that the reason I didn't like it was because I hadn't smoked enough. WRONG, I had smoked enough -- enough to know I didn't like it!

mike goldberg
05-26-2007, 00:47
Hi... I smoked a pack a day for 20 years, and quit 29 years ago. "Second hand smoke" IS detrimental to health, and I cringe when I think of my grandson growing up in a home, where my son & my daughter-in-law smoke. Yuk. I detest ashtrays with cigarette butts, and when in a coffee bar, I can sniff them out 2 tables away.
With local laws more stringent, the situation is somewhat more tolerable.

Bars & pubs, with the inevitable aromas of liquor, smoke and a bit of urine from the restrooms... are out of the question. mike

iml
05-26-2007, 00:52
I quit cold turkey (no substitutes) on September 2005 after 25 years of smoking

Me too!

I don't miss it in the slightest, but the smell of smoke doesn't bother me at all.

Ian

FanMan
05-26-2007, 01:54
If you want to quit, just do it. It's easier than it sounds. Anybody that says it's an addiction is on crack. It's not a physical addiction . . . it's a habit. It's not the chemicals . . . it's the comfort of the ritual. Break the ritual and do something different. Don't forget to reward yourself each time you fail to smoke.

Absolutely agree with that. I just quit - no substitutes, no thinking about it - just quit. If I would have known that it can be so easy I would have quit earlier. And I was a smoker for 15 years.

Stop smoking 5 years ago was one of the best things I did in my life. And starting smoking at the age of 16 was on of the stupiest things I ever did. After my first try to quit I re-started it after 5 years of non-smoking. That will not happen again.

Oh BTW . . . I have absolutely no cravings to smoke, even when around smokers. I now think it smells like burning buffalo dung.

Now I HATE the smell of cigarettes.

maddoc
05-26-2007, 02:38
Smoking since 20 years like a chimney and now living in a country where cigarettes are quite cheap .... I know that quitting would be better but for me it goes together with relaxing and the Zippo ... I tried to quit once but started smoking again after two month.

- Gabor

ICU
05-26-2007, 03:50
I tried smoking when I was a kid a few times to "look cool", but never developed the habit. Caffeine is my socially acceptable drug of choice. As a nurse I have seen people die from the effects of smoking. I am not talking just about lung cancer or emphysema; smoking also plays a significant role in cardiovascular disease, and contributes to/complicates many other health problems. My first patient that died, died from emphysema. I saw this person mottle and turn cyanotic, gasping for air, slowly sufforcating despite every intervention to keep my patient comfortable. (Sorry if this is offenseive to some, but I have whitewashed the dying process as best I could.) Please, if you smoke, quit. Don't make your loved ones watch you die or die this death from inhaling your second hand smoke.

I fully realize how addicting smoke is, but there are more options for quitting than ever before. Get some help.

robin a
05-26-2007, 04:05

That's funny.........Robin

BOSS65
05-26-2007, 04:37
Never - Never - Never :bang:

Keith
05-26-2007, 04:40
As a child I remember my mother was a very heavy smoker ... didn't mind a drink either!

She was also a keen photographer and had a small darkroom set up in the rear of the house. She would lock herself in there for hours in the evenings with her Pall Malls and her bottle of scotch and on the odd occasions I was allowed in ... the air was memorably funky with tobacco, whiskey and developing chemicals. Amazingly she lived to be nearly eighty!

I remember that smell like it was yesterday. It's only a year since she died and I think it was her death that encouraged me to really dive into my photography. ;-/

Pherdinand
05-26-2007, 05:05
I smoke only weed.

jdos2
05-26-2007, 06:16
I loved it. I like vice, and I'm not kidding. Smoking is wonderful.

But I quit. I even made it through a trip to Portugal last month not smoking; Portugal being one of those places where one gets off the plane and is guarded by a fellow standing under the "não fumar" sign: he's got a ciggy and an uzi...

Glad I gave it up. If there was a cure for all the terrible things it does to my body, and if it didn't hurt others, I'd be right back at it. There isn't, and it does, so I don't.

Richard Black
05-26-2007, 07:07
I smoke a pipe and prefer English or Balkan blends for their intrigue. There are some Virginia and Burley tobaccos that are pleasant, but overall the English have the best.

migtex
05-26-2007, 07:12
Cigars mostly, Punch Nº3 my favorite.

dmr
05-26-2007, 07:12
I tried smoking when I was a kid a few times to "look cool", but never developed the habit.

Back when I was in high school and college (late 60s thru mid 70s) there was really quite a bit of peer pressure to smoke. Among the arguments they used to try to convince you that smoking was a Good Thing<tm> was "it looks cool." Uh, excuse me, I could never understand that. Even at that impressionable age I thought that it looked tacky at best. :(

Weight control was the one argument, I admit, that had me thinking (for a SHORT while) that it might be worth looking in to. There was also a LOT of social pressure to keep your weight down, and I would say even more so than today. Fortunately the argument was not convincing enough. :)

Caffeine is my socially acceptable drug of choice.

Ya know, I very seldom drink coffee. I just don't care for hot drinks, never really have. I make it up with Diet Coke. :)

I do drink socially, never by myself, and if I'm not out somewhere I really don't have any urge to drink.

I also admit that in my younger and more foolish days I experimented with some drugs, but nothing hard and nothing injectable. I hate shots anyway, no way I'm gonna do that just to get a buzz! :)

As a nurse I have seen people die from the effects of smoking. I am not talking just about lung cancer or emphysema; smoking also plays a significant role in cardiovascular disease, and contributes to/complicates many other health problems. My first patient that died, died from emphysema.

I've never had to deal with any end-stage. The worst I saw was a pt who tried to sneak a smoke through a tracheostomy! :( I just coincidentally happened to be on the floor as the fuss was going on. :( It makes me sick to think of it.

My exposure was doing things like administering the FVC and MVV7 to those who came in for a pulmonary work-up. I remember being somewhat surprised at first when taking history and seeing some with well over a 100 pack-year history. :(

Please, if you smoke, quit. Don't make your loved ones watch you die or die this death from inhaling your second hand smoke.

I fully realize how addicting smoke is, but there are more options for quitting than ever before. Get some help.

At work now we have a lady who is expecting and still smoking! :( I've stepped out of my place a few times to give her hell about it and I'm sure her OB has given her more of it (hell that is) than I ever will. Last week I was leaving for lunch and just happened to drop in on a "meeting of the smoking club" and she was there, smoking, and I made a point of getting in her face and shaking my finger very assertively. I do think she is trying, though.

Oh well, it's been an interesting thread here. What I do think the group here can be collectively proud of is that close to 80% do not smoke regularly, and only 13% smoke regularly with no intention of quitting. My guess is that this is very close to that of my friends and work associates. Quite a change from the 70s, huh? :)

DannL
05-26-2007, 08:35
Let's see ... how do I put this ... I'm not on crack, that's one thing I've never been stupid enough to touch! (Are you?) :)
I figure if I could say one thing that "might" drive one person to stop smoking, then I'd take the chance and be self-destructive. That statement might not have been "the statement" I was looking for, and surely hope it doesn't drive the masses to use crack. My only "drug" is photography. Drrrrr

What drove me to smoke was simple peer pressure. All my friends smoked, my father smoked, my grandfather smoked pipes (BTW he's 96). One thing that helped me quit was the lack of peer pressure. Nobody around me smokes anymore. Not because they're dead mind you, but there are no smokers in my current environment. None at the job for sure. And since "you all" are my only friends, if you are smoking I can't smell it though the internet. :D

ferider
05-26-2007, 08:42
I smoke, started during my divorce, in my early 30s. Never smoked before.

Weight control was the one argument, I admit, that had me thinking (for a SHORT while) that it might be worth looking in to. There was also a LOT of social pressure to keep your weight down, and I would say even more so than today. Fortunately the argument was not convincing enough. :)

Trust me, loosing 50 pounds is much easier for some than quitting smoking.

Oh well, it's been an interesting thread here. What I do think the group here can be collectively proud of is that close to 80% do not smoke regularly, and only 13% smoke regularly with no intention of quitting. My guess is that this is very close to that of my friends and work associates. Quite a change from the 70s, huh? :)

Think about who participates in this poll and how representative it is.

I had one family member die of lung cancer. Two others of Alzymer.
Death is not nice. Being in your 70s or 80s is hard unless you have
a supportive family. How many people do you see die in hospitals
completely alone ?

The world is full of people who tell others what is good for them.
Would be nice if we could restrict it to art, technique and gear here.

Roland.

dmr
05-26-2007, 09:29
What drove me to smoke was simple peer pressure. All my friends smoked, my father smoked, my grandfather smoked pipes

The producers of any product can only wish for the users of their product to recruit others into lifelong users. Amazing how many of our friends acted as unpaid sales staff of the nicotine delivery industry. :(

I guess I am the exception. Statistically I should not be a never-smoker. Both of my parents smoked, both grandfathers smoked (both grandmothers did not), both of my brothers did for a while, but have since quit. Of my extended family, I can't think of a single aunt or uncle who did not smoke. Many of my friends in HS and college did.

One thing that helped me quit was the lack of peer pressure.

If anything, at work there is now peer pressure to NOT smoke. One of my bosses is now trying to quit and we are his cheering section. At a recent staff meeting one of my co-workers proudly announced that he had resigned his membership in the Smoking Club. (We semi-jokingly refer to the gatherings around the service entrance and loading dock as "The Smoking Club.")

None at the job for sure.

That's great, but unusual. Around here (a few hundred miles N of you I think) any company of any size will have a Smoking Club with regular meetings several times a day. The membership in our company's chapter does appear to decrease consistently.

And since "you all" are my only friends, if you are smoking I can't smell it though the internet. :D

True, and I was hoping to start a relevant spin-off thread which did not take -- as photographers we can avoid producing images that glamorize or in any way encourage the smoking habit -- AND -- maybe apply some peer pressure to get fellow photographers to do so as well.

When I peruse the gallery I'll occasionally (not too many on this board, but there are some) see photos that do show smoking in a positive light. I've felt like adding a very low rating and a comment, but didn't feel like coming off as a total b*tch. I might start doing that.

PetarDima
05-26-2007, 09:30
I smoke, started during my divorce, in my early 30s. Never smoked before.

Trust me, loosing 50 pounds is much easier for some than quitting smoking.

Think about who participates in this poll and how representative it is.

I had one family member die of lung cancer. Two others of Alzymer.
Death is not nice. Being in your 70s or 80s is hard unless you have
a supportive family. How many people do you see die in hospitals
completely alone ?

Would be nice if we could restrict it to art, technique and gear here.

Roland.

Deep thoughts, Roland ... I understand you ... I quit 10 years ago ...
keep on with Rokkor sea shots ;) - people aroud me often complain,
this sentence is for me :o :

Regards, Vlad.

P.S. My father was smoker too, do you know what was the last thing he did that fatal night( he has died while he was sleeping)? He took a cigarette(the cause of death was heart attack)

freeranger
05-26-2007, 09:49
I don't smoke and used to be quite anti-smoking.

Since joining RFF, however, I have developed a tolerant attitude towards practitioners of esoteric and expensive habits

sepiareverb
05-26-2007, 10:00
I was a dedicated cigarette smoker for a long time- well a while anyway, fifteen years 'quit' many times- longest time without was about 6 months.

Then after my son was born and we picked up and moved I was finally able to quit for what appears to be for good. That was twelve years ago this month.

With as many students as I have that smoke I am constantly craving cigarettes during my work days- rarely a day goes by that I don't. I still love the smell.

ernstk
05-26-2007, 10:07
I enjoy a good Cuban cigar on an irregular basis. I like Monte Cristo No2 and also Partagas Serie D. I enjoy them with a good Scotch malt or a small batch Bourbon (Van Winkle). I don't inhale.

Regards
Ernst

varjag
05-26-2007, 10:13
I quit after 10 years of heavy smoking, but do not regret time or money spent on cigarettes.

pachuco
05-26-2007, 12:04
I smoke a pipe every now and then. I like the smell more than anything else but my god, do I feel it in my lungs after I smoke it. My morning run just hurts like an SOB the next day.

Living in the Oregon gives me better things to smoke.........like salmon! What did you think I was going to say?? ;)

gb hill
05-26-2007, 15:39
I smoke a pipe every now and then. I like the smell more than anything else but my god, do I feel it in my lungs after I smoke it. My morning run just hurts like an SOB the next day.

Don't inhale it. Just enjoy the flavor. But if it bothers you that much I would quit.

BTW George Burns smoked cheap cigars and drank martinies every day of his adult life, (he said so) and lived to be 100.;) :)

Ash
05-26-2007, 15:52
I've never smoked, and as far as I am aware at my current age and disposition, I never will.

My father used to smoke. My mother still does, several stress-related relapses I guess. Many friends smoke. A few ex-girlfriends smoke also.

I don't mind the smell of a cigar from across the room, something not too bad. Cigarettes will never smell nice. Nor will the taste of a kiss from somebody who smokes them.

mexipike
05-26-2007, 16:49
I smoke a pipe mainly Penzance tobacco, if their are any pipers here I recomend it. i don't inhale it. However, I do smoke it often and have noticed a strong addiction to nicotine, which makes me smoke an ocasional, but fairly common cigarrette. It's hard to smoke a pipe while walking down the street, or driving a car. I also live in Mexico where most males, if not full time smokers, will smoke a cigarrette. I definitley can see all the bad properties of all tobacco products, but I love nicotine, and at least for now have no intentions of letting it go.

John

BJ Bignell
05-26-2007, 17:12
I voted "Occasionally or socially" but I should qualify that it's only ever cigars, except for that one alcohol-fuelled bender where a pack of cigarettes appeared at the beginning of the night, and then just as mysteriously, disappeared by the end.

I have to admit, though, that I love the sweet smell of burning tobacco when you first light up a smoke. For that first moment, the smoke is like magic, but it quickly passes. It probably comes from being raised by smokers (who did eventually quit).

Oh, and I forgot that I have a hookah and that I do enjoy the occaisonaly puff of shishah tobacco. The best flavours are mint and rose, and coconut ain't bad either.

enochRoot
05-26-2007, 17:39
I smoke only weed.

what he said...

Keith
05-26-2007, 17:39
I'm just trying to remember who the well known world figure was who liked his cigars dipped ... Bill something or other ... the name escapes me! :angel:

bobkonos
05-26-2007, 18:04
I enjoy a GOOD cigar two to three times a year (Shutterflower: I will try the Padron 3000 maduro, thanks) and one of those times will be this week, in the backyard on a summer night under the aromatic star jasmine (I like irony). Colyn: we are the same age, I lost my dad in 2002 to emphysema so I relate and send condolences. He was a nervous sort, my dad, and he'd chew gum whenever he tried to quit, but ultimately (when my mom died in 1995) he said the heck with a lot of things in life and just did not care anymore. My mom quit smoking when I was a teenager, cold turkey, no regrets. In 24 hours she went from a smoker to a confirmed non-smoker. Boom-that was it. I miss them both all the time.

Eric T
05-26-2007, 18:39
Melanie,
Your photos on Flickr are great!

Dfin
05-26-2007, 19:29
So how are all the cancer patients this bright sunny Sydney morning. Tobacco, the only product legally available,that when used as directed, WILL KILL YOU. I use to be a 2 pack a day smoker,gave up 25yrs ago, bloody hard habit to kick. What finally made me stop was not only health reasons but( being of Scottish decent ) the cost!!! A pack of 20 coffin nails is about 11-12 aud, a carton over $100,x10 , there`s an M3 almost,think about it. As for lecturing people, I gave up, it`s their decision, only they can flick the switch in their brain. Still, we all have a drug of choice,mine is surfing.

Taqi
05-26-2007, 21:11
I like Monte Cristo No2 and also Partagas Serie D.

You are evidently a gentleman.

dmr
05-26-2007, 22:52
Tobacco, the only product legally available,that when used as directed, WILL KILL YOU.

Can you imagine what would happen, here in the 21st century, if cigarettes were new and had to go before the Consumer Product Safety Commission?

How about the FDA? :)

rbsinto
05-26-2007, 23:13
I smoked very heavily (at least two large packs-50 cigerettes) for many years, and stopped twice, once for seven years, and the second time for a year.
In 1990, I put one out, and have never smoked since.
However, I still consider myself to be a recovering smokaholic.

Peter
05-27-2007, 01:37
I do smoke like 4-5 sticks a day, more when I am taking photos with friends! I have quit several times over the years but the tobacco genie keeps following me! Even if I quit cigarettes, I would not mind cigars once in a while. Any smokers tried one of those Indonesian clove cigarettes before? Those stuf really will make you want to quit!

tenebrae
05-27-2007, 07:28
Started to smoke at age 18, quit when I was 35 and at approximately 35 cigarettes a day. Cold turkey, during my vacation. In fact, the day I quit was 10 September 2001. The first week I spent in a very unpleasant nicotine deprivation daze. As a consequence, I did not catch any of the 9/11 events until a week later...

Haven't touched a cigarette since, but luckily I did not turn into an anti-smoking fundamentalist. I deeply respect my non-smoking partner, for having had to put up with being around (and kissing) someone smelling of a stale ashtray continuously.

Seriously, smokers: you stink. A smoker is shrouded in an ashtray scent which can be smelled within a 1 meter radius. Yuk.

eia41
05-27-2007, 09:19
There is nothing easier than giving up smoking!
I know several smokers who gave it up several times!!!

I gave it up myself -once and for all- 26 years ago...

My wife and two adult daughters have never even tasted it, and almost none of our friends smoke anymore.

...but I come from a mediterranean country where people smoke their heads off!

eia41

NickTrop
05-28-2007, 09:14
I hate smoking. I smoke. Worst thing I ever did. If I could go back in time... Right now I'm chewing the nicotine gum. This seems to be working. I've been using this for the past three weeks. The only time I've smoked is when I didn't have any gum on me. So, I bought two packs and bummed maybe ten over the last three weeks. I haven't smoked any since Thursday and made it through the weekend. The gum is better than the patch, imo, as you can take the gum when you want one to satiate the urge. I think some smokers need that nicotine rush that smoking gives you over the steady "drip" of the patch.

Bars are my downfall, like many others. And while this isn't the greatest "quitting" record, 2-1/2 packs in three weeks a helluva lot better than a pack of Marlboro Lights a day. I know I could "white knuckle" it and quit cold turkey, but I just get freakin' nasty when I do that. I'm afraid than if I don't get that nicotine fix via the gum, I'll piss somebody off at work... I need this to "take the edge off"....

...ME!

foto_fool
05-28-2007, 09:45
Smoked through high school. Smoking was one of the least destructive of the vices I was into then ;). Even watching my grandmother die of lung cancer had no effect. Ah, the self-absorption of youth...

Stopped entirely, then smoked a lot while living in Japan. Stopped when I got back to the States. I don't talk about "quitting" - quitting is hard. I just stopped.

To quote Peter O'Toole - "I drink." And to quote me, "when I drink a lot, sometimes a cigarette is just right." Occasionally I have a great cigar after the perfect bottle of port. These days I believe in moderation in all things, including moderation.

OT - welcome back MelanieC. Glad to hear your dog recovered but sorry you had to cut your dig short. All are looking forward to seeing your new pictures.

- John

JohnL
05-28-2007, 10:44
Just an occasional cigar ... mostly Brazilian "maduros" ... not sure which is the appropriate answer in the poll ...

physiognomy
05-28-2007, 10:49
I don't smoke cigarettes, but really enjoy a good cigar...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/360046671_fb3ad1f52f.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/492143590_11246e3ba8.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/197/479404904_cf3f172e5c.jpg?v=0

I usually smoke 1-3 a week, but if I get some time out on the golf course that might double...

Peter

jamesj
05-28-2007, 11:30
i put seldom or never mostly cause i only smoke when i need to think or when im drinking...

which is rare...

i used to smoke alot but ehh it gets old...

pvdhaar
05-28-2007, 22:39
Categorically: NO!

Both my parents died extremely young from diseases caused by smoking.. I've no intention of repeating that.

Creagerj
05-28-2007, 23:18
Can't stand cigarettes, something about them smells like burning garbage. I smoke an occasional cigar, which suppose is unusual I am uncharacteristically young to like cigars.

Now Hookah is something I do like. It can't be good for you but it defiantly isn't as bad as cigarettes. Almost no nicotine or tar, however any smoke in the lungs is bad.

There are some other substances I like to put in a pipe and probably do more than I should, but I won't go there.

ibcrewin
05-29-2007, 06:34
I vote never..

It's really pretty gross..

ruben
05-31-2007, 12:40
I do smoke a box per day. At my present low picture taking it would not harm if I could lower the amount of cigarretes to the amount of frames per day, or increase the frames to the amount of cigarrettes.

Cheers, and what's next ? our underpaints collection ?

Ruben

Mohan
05-31-2007, 13:33
I must have smoked about 10 cigerettes in my life (and an OZ or so of weed)

butch
05-31-2007, 13:50
I smoked from 16 years old till 61. If you've seen my for sale ads , you know I smoked. I went into surgury 12/11/06 and chose that hospital stay to quit a 2 pack/ day habit. 60 odd bucks a week. The surgury was for bladder tumors (malignant) which are mainly caused by smoking (can't figure that one). I could light one now. Ya wanna see my Mensa card.

ferider
05-31-2007, 14:43
Butch,

I'm glad to hear it went well ! All the best,

Roland.

Michael I.
06-06-2007, 03:33
pipe(since 16) and cigars recreationally and half to a pack a day since I broke up with my girlfriend of 9 years two weeks ago.

sweathog
06-06-2007, 04:46
HAve smoked regularly for... about 4 years. Quitting at the end of the month.

Edward Felcher
06-08-2007, 09:17
Only if I'm on fire.

Edward Felcher
06-08-2007, 09:25
pipe(since 16) and cigars recreationally and half to a pack a day since I broke up with my girlfriend of 9 years two weeks ago.
Don't get so melancholic over a broad. Smoking just destroys the container you come in.

Women are like busses.....another one comes along right after one leaves. Usually when you're in a hurry it takes longer.

When you feel miserable now, it will be a joke ten years from now.

Just think, you're not even thirty. You still have more than 20 years to turn into a crank fooling around with dirty old cameras and spending all your time online like most of the other "hobbyists" here.

Man, I would give ANYTHING to be 25, free as a bird, and running around chasing women.

SolaresLarrave
06-08-2007, 09:40
I used to smoke... and now I admire how my then girlfriend and now wife put up with my smell. I quit when, after a brief faringitis, I thought I was cured and bought a pack of filterless Camels. To celebrate my newly acquired health, I lit one up... and it made my throat burn. Since I had thought about quitting (inspired by my companion), I decided to teach myself a lesson and smoked the entire pack of cigarettes in some three hours. When I put out the last one I told myself: "This is the last cigarette I'll ever smoke," and that was it. That was on November 28, 1989.

BTW, I'm still with that girl! :)

35mmdelux
06-08-2007, 14:04
pot, hashish, cigs, cigars. Can you be more specific?

NB23
06-08-2007, 14:17
I'm a cigarette Lover. I love the smell and the taste.
When I quit, some 15 months ago, I remember stopping my car near roofing trucks, opening the windows and breathe deeply while everybody on the streets we're running in the opposite direction.Ah that Tar smell!

Still today, I ask smokers to smoke in my face direction. I just love it.

But since I'm a lunatic I don't quite remember when I squit smoking... so I don't count the days, months and years. That'll probably save me on the long run. Y'know, the ones that count are the ones that smoke up again, usually :)

P3tr
06-08-2007, 14:30
Djarum ocasionally. Something like a pack of ten on party once a 3 months, when i drink good red wine. The tastes somehow comunicate with each other.
I used to smoke cigarettes regularly, but quit during second year on university. From that moment it stinks to me :-)

richard_l
06-09-2007, 00:38
If you are inclined to smoke, avoid premium imported cigars. It's easier to quit cigarettes than good cigars. (I've done both.) Quitting cigars feels somewhat like losing a friend (even though it's actually an enemy).

Richard

payasam
06-09-2007, 01:28
Haven't seriously tried to quit. Should be able to, even though it's been 41 years now. Gave up booze after between 20 and 25 years of alcoholism.

bmattock
06-09-2007, 05:39
I quit a 2 pack a day habit on June 12, 2004. I am approaching three years without a cigarette. I stopped cold-turkey. It was my third attempt.

My weight has gone from 235 to 290.

I'm working on the weight thing.

M4streetshooter
06-09-2007, 09:40
I smoked since I was 13...now almost 58 but I stopped cold turkey for over 18 years.....anyway, about 5 years ago I was in Germany for a month and of course couldn't resist Cuban cigars......$5.00 USD then...so I bought about 50 and returned home..USA/Philly...well they smoked up and that led to smokes again...unbelievable...for over 18 years I never thought about smoking...anyhthing....now 5 years later It's really hard to quit.....I tried Chantix...everything but I'm in trouble.....

now next week I'm trying some Homeopathic remedies......

It's not just a mental thing...I have a very hard withdrawl...like heroin withdrawl.......don

bmattock
06-25-2007, 04:57
Warning: Not Safe for Work / Obscene Language

http://www.illwillpress.com/smok.html

Personally, I find it very amusing.

pvdhaar
06-27-2007, 04:39
Warning: Not Safe for Work / Obscene Language

http://www.illwillpress.com/smok.html

Personally, I find it very amusing.

We need one like that on the 'film vs. digital' thing.. :D

TheHub
06-27-2007, 05:21
Started when I was 16, quit at 22. I started up again at 24 then stopped again at 26. I haven't started full time again since then (I'm now 31.) Sometimes on a saturday night after dinner and a good drink chatting with friends a cigarette (or 10) really hits the spot.

Too bad cigarettes are so detrimental to ones health. Were they not dangerous I'd be a lifetime smoker.

DougK
07-02-2007, 06:00
I didn't see an option for "not anymore" but before I quit, it was "occasionally," so that's what option I selected.

potomo
07-02-2007, 06:05
Here the same of Dougk: never smoke one!

jrong
07-03-2007, 09:13
Never smoked and never will. Whats the point?

One of my grandfathers died prematurely of emphysema and he was a chain smoker.

Jin

Xmas
07-03-2007, 09:23
Only passively

Noel

Doctor Zero
07-11-2007, 07:20
I voted "seldom or never", because I only smoke when I go and see my sister, and even then it's only a few drags.

Doctor Zero

P.S. Did I mention she lives in Holland? :D

chris000
09-24-2007, 12:02
How do you smoke socially? I would have hoped that these days that would be considered a contradiction.

I voted seldom or never - but it's definitely never

fidget
09-25-2007, 02:32
I must recommend quitting. In the 8 or so years since I quit, aside from feeling great and empowered etc........you should see the amount of gear that I have bought, all on the pretext of using the funds saved by not smoking! I think that I have spent it three times over!

Dave...

John Rountree
09-25-2007, 06:41
[QUOTE=chris000]How do you smoke socially?

Chris, not everyone who smokes uses tobacco. His sister lives in Holland where there is a far more rational approach to the use of cannabis than the hysteria inflicted on people in the "land of the free."

Stu W
09-25-2007, 06:48
I smoked 3 packs a day till I hit 40-Then I went cold turkey. I still miss them.

gavinlg
09-25-2007, 07:09
I enjoy good quality cigars on special occasions but barely ever smoke. I did a little when I was a kid with all my friends - I figured out most girls dont like the smell. My grandfather died of lung cancer. Don't smoke cannibis either. Most of it is laced with something or the other these days, I prefer a good wine.

Besides, I already have one addiction! (10 points to those who can guess)

jdos2
09-25-2007, 08:22
Sigh. Kool non-filters were a favorite. Now?

I heard it best: in the USA, one year of smoking a pack a day is about 6 months of car payments. :-) That's some GEAR!

etrigan63
09-25-2007, 08:41
Never smoked anything except a fish.

biomed
09-25-2007, 09:10
I used to work where a lot of people smoked. All or the computers and optical equipment were covered with a yellow film. Because I was the "new" guy, it was my job to clean the equipment. I can remember throwing away a few telephones that were just too nasty to keep. And this was in a hospital!

xayraa33
09-25-2007, 09:15
No I don't smoke, never did.

BigSteveG
09-25-2007, 10:14
Used to smoke 2-3 packs. Quit in '98. Can't start again...it would stink up my MP

sem
09-25-2007, 10:33
I like it very much. Cup of coffee, a bit time, built a cigarette and enjoy the moment.

sem

cmogi10
09-25-2007, 11:14
I've tried to quit, (between work and school) when life was mellow and relaxing, I didn't have a problem. When I started dealing with pressure and stress next thing i know I'm smoking again. It's been challenging.

stefan_dinu
09-25-2007, 11:53
I smoked for four years, but then I quit. Suddendly, with no anticipation. Just a "happy moment", like an epiphany. Anyway, now it has been several years and I never been tempted to go back. I somtimes smoke a fine cigar, or a good weed. But as for cigarettes....never.

Morca007
09-25-2007, 13:13
Cigarettes- Never, don't see the appeal.
Cigar- Very occasionally, only if I might buy a good one.
Cannabis- Socially. If it's there, and it's people I trust not to have something laced on it, then it's all good fun.

Living in the Oregon gives me better things to smoke.........like salmon! What did you think I was going to say?? ;)
We do have some spectacular Salmon!

grainy_shadows
09-25-2007, 13:41
i used to smoke, one pack every few days

quit for about 2 months now

BillBlackwell
09-25-2007, 15:48
Do you smoke?

Pardon me, but this has to be the "gaspingly" longest, most uninteresting, completely worthless, thread in RFF history!

raid
09-25-2007, 15:57
Do you smoke?

tobacco?

This is a good question, Joe.
Smoking non-tobacco products may be illegal. :D

cmogi10
09-25-2007, 15:57
Do you smoke?

Pardon me, but this has to be the "gaspingly" longest, most uninteresting, completely worthless, thread in RFF history!

And by far the most interesting contribution yet!

raid
09-25-2007, 15:59
I have seen probability charts of lung cancer risk plotted against the variable: how many years ago you stopped smoking.

It does make a difference if you ever smoked before or not and when you quit smoking.

peterm1
09-25-2007, 16:45
I smoked in my 20s and then gave up cold turkey when I hit about age 31. Never missed them. Then when I was about 45 I had a big relationship bust up and started again. Also started drinking, staying up late and going out chasing wild women. Well for a couple of years. Then I found someone, settled down again and went cold turkey again. On all of the above by the way. Never missed any of them and still don't.

Uncle Bill
09-25-2007, 17:12
I was the only one in my family that did not smoke, period. I never saw the attraction to tobacco. My brother smoked through through his undergraduate degree and his MBA and quit when he met his wife (she quit smoking too that same weekend).

My parents smoked since their teens both quitting in 2002 cold turkey on a trip to New Zealand. Unfortunately it was too late for my dad, he passed on two years ago at 67 from an agressive small cell lung cancer that mastasized in his liver, it is two months of my life I don't want to re-live.

I have no idea what the health implications inhaling second hand smoke from toddler to my early twenties especially on those long road trips.

jl-lb.ms
09-25-2007, 17:23
Need a vote for "pipe or cigar occasionally". Risk factor is substantially less than a pack a day cig smoker.

niimo
09-25-2007, 18:48
I don't. Sure I have in the past, but haven't touch a cigarette or otherwise in the past 7 years.

Never did like cigarettes though. In highschool I had a strict rule against smoking in my car. I just hated the smell and it messed with my allergies, too. If I was gonna give someone a ride, I said, "No smoking before or after I give you a ride. Because you stink more than you know after you smoke. And if I drive you someplace, I may have to drive you back afterwards, so no smoking wherever we are going." They hated it, but screw them. My car, my rules. LOL Kill yourself on your own time.

BigSteveG
09-25-2007, 21:43
only after sex!!!!!!

amateriat
09-25-2007, 23:35
I've never smoked, and as far as I am aware at my current age and disposition, I never will.

My father used to smoke. My mother still does, several stress-related relapses I guess. Many friends smoke. A few ex-girlfriends smoke also.

I don't mind the smell of a cigar from across the room, something not too bad. Cigarettes will never smell nice. Nor will the taste of a kiss from somebody who smokes them. "Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray."

That's really all I ever needed to know.

- Barrett

drewbarb
09-26-2007, 00:10
Now Hookah is something I do like. It can't be good for you but it defiantly isn't as bad as cigarettes. Almost no nicotine or tar, however any smoke in the lungs is bad.

Unfortunately, smoking from a hookah- as nice as it can be- is just as bad as cigarettes. Several recent studies have demonstrated that hookah smokers have pathologically high levels of nicotine in their urine (I hate to break it to you, but there is infact both nicotine and tar in hookah smoke). One study indicated that hookah smokers drag more deeply, and take as many as 6 times as many drags during a smoking session as cigarette smokers. Put that in your pipe and- well, you know.

That said, I started smoking cigarettes socially at age 21 (:bang:) and quit at 30, by which time I was up to half a pack, sometimes a pack a day. I still have one every now and then, and I have the very occasional cigar, but I'm really glad I don't do it habitually anymore- 4 or 5 cigarettes a years is so much better than 10 to 20 a day. (Just keep telling yourself that.)

rogue_designer
11-07-2007, 13:51
Used to - quit 5 years ago or so.

I still buy a pack everyonce in a while - open it, smell a cigarette, then give the whole pack away to the first person who asks for a smoke.

My Girl and I sometimes enjoy a fine cigar on the back porch, but that's a once every two months or so thing.

Dogman
11-07-2007, 13:54
Like a lot of people my age, I grew up around cigarette smokers and inherited the habit just like a bad gene. I smoked from my high school days until just over 16 years ago--after recurring episodes with bronchitis. Well, the smoking is gone but the bronchitis still pops up every couple of years. Nothing like spending several nights upright in a chair, coughing your lungs out to remind you of the "good old days" spent with Luckies, Chesterfields, Camels and Marlboros.

MikeCassidy
11-07-2007, 13:56
No I've run 25 maratthons.

Tuolumne
11-07-2007, 14:00
No I've run 25 maratthons.

Did u run in last Sunday's NY Marathon?

/T

Pherdinand
11-07-2007, 14:05
Once a very attractive girl asked me this question, exactly with the same words. And how much i wished i was smoking!
:)

Ronald M
11-07-2007, 17:54
No, I was smart enough to quit 30+ years ago. To this day I can`t stand being around it.

General Motors banned it in the work space in 1975 so I have avoided exposure mostly since. It is tough to get into some buildings with the puffers gathered around the door.

kaiser48
11-07-2007, 18:16
I quit smoking ten years ago last Tuesday - Melbourne Cup Day 1997 - best thing I ever did!

stuken
11-07-2007, 18:17
Cigarettes, no. Hookah, rarely. Pot, once or twice a month, used to be more.

etrigan63
11-07-2007, 18:46
Only if I'm set on fire...

jbf
11-07-2007, 18:59
Only smoke on rare ocassion of having a drink with my friends at the bar. That's like once a month if even that.

Besides that no way in hell am I gonna be smoking nor am I ever gonna pay for a pack of cigarettes.

I'd much rather spend that cash on camera equipment rather than cigarettes.

tonal1
11-07-2007, 19:44
I voted never, but I think the poll be more interesting with an additional criteria indicating former use.

It would also be interesting to see whether there is correlation between smokers/non-smokers and wet/digital darkroom users.... hmmm.

How about a poll for how many people would take up smoking if it could be made to increase your health. I'd vote for that!

yaadetgar
11-08-2007, 00:31
Well...

I tried smoking once or twice... IT'S NOT FOR ME!

Yaad

Murray Kelly
11-08-2007, 00:45
Robustos - one every evening with some think juice.

Never, ever, touched cigarettes.

Murray Kelly.
Brisbane Oz.

Michael I.
11-08-2007, 01:20
quit cigarrettes two months ago.feel much better..

Stu W
12-20-2007, 20:25
Former chain smoker. Miss it still.

maddoc
12-20-2007, 21:05
I
Here in France smoking in public places, including bars and bistrots, will be illegal from January 1st 2008. Kind of hard to imagine a French bistrot without an odeur of Gauloise or Gitanes.
So then, no more cafés for me unless it's warm enough to sit on the sidewalk!!!
What !? Smoking banned inside of bars and bistrots from next year in France ?? :eek::bang:
I wanted to visit a friend in Paris next February and have a beer and smoke a Gaulois .... :(

maddoc
12-20-2007, 21:13
Sounds crazy I know, but all too true. In fact, government is debating right now if the terrace (sidewalk) counts or not !!!
The sidewalk too ??? :bang::bang::bang:

maddoc
12-20-2007, 21:22
That is to say the sidewalk part of a sidewalk café.

That is we can sit on the terrace, have a cafe au lait (Pernod, Pastis ...) and are not allowed to smoke and no photos of strangers in public places ... ? sic transit gloria mundi ...

peterm1
12-20-2007, 22:55
To quote Black Adder......... "I only ever smoke after sex.....................I'm a 20 a day man old chap!"

That is to say, not really.

cameramanic
12-20-2007, 23:00
Only when I am on Fire

gumanow
12-20-2007, 23:33
I'm usually on fire when my ex-wife really pisses me off, and then smoke comes out of my ears.

gumanow
12-20-2007, 23:34
How can you hold a camera and smoke at the same time?

kully
12-21-2007, 00:06
How can you hold a camera and smoke at the same time?

Quite easily:

Photon42
12-21-2007, 04:55
Quite easily:

the lens shade position goes nicely with the artist's face

sepiareverb
12-21-2007, 05:33
I've noticed that on evilbay some ads say "this camera comes from a smoke free home". Would that really bother anyone if their camera smelled like an ashtray?

As a former smoker I must say I still have a hard time every once in a while getting that whiff as students come in the room, fresh from nicotining up. I have had several lenses with cases that had been previously owned by smokers, and certainly would jones for a cigarette every now and again when getting the lens out. I've since sold them all, and am much less distracted for it.

There has been a move afoot to ban smoking in cars here in VT, along with every possible distraction for the driver- eating, drinking, even changing the radio or cd. Much would be unenforcable, but I for one am getting pretty tired of this kind of thing. New Hampshire banned outdoor smoking within 50' of a buildings doorway or smething along those lines, making it impossible to smoke outdoors downtown in many places. At that point why not just ban tobacco altogether?

I've had several relatives die from smoking related disease, one of them never smoked, but worked in a smoke filled office for 20 years, but there comes a point where government ought to just leave us be. I for one am much more bothered by the overuse of cologne & perfume, I have a shirt that I still can't wear after sitting on a couch in a public place after someone who was wearing a lot of cologne. And yes, I've washed it. Give me a smokers couch any day.

sepiareverb
12-21-2007, 06:03
No government would ban tobacco, they make too much tax off it!

How true. Tax it and make its use as close to illegal as possible. Crazy.

contrejour
12-21-2007, 08:01
One day when I was walking in a cold Beijing street after a hard day work, I felt the disgusting taste of cigarette, I decided to stop (not quit) the 19 year history of burning money ....
but a year later, I took up the pipe for another year.... I gave up the habit completely when I realized that my teeth were as dark as pitch.....

Some of you may be interested to watch this documentary "tobacco conspiracy" by Nadia Collot who is a friend of mine & was a chain smoker.
http://www.tobaccoconspiracy.org/

ChrisPlatt
12-21-2007, 16:55
I never smoked, but I grew up among smokers.
The "Big C" got my dad, mom, and stepfather.

I figure I passively smoked four packs a day until I moved out.
I'm not anti-smoking, but I know we're all better off without it.

Chris

gb hill
12-22-2007, 20:00
Had a good Churchill the other day. Wonderful aroma and taste. Met a gentleman in his late sixties the other week who smokes one cigar every day for good health:) .

jbf
12-22-2007, 20:13
Update on smoking ban in French bars.

I noticed while in town this morning that some cafés and bars have put up the no smoking signs ready for the january "cease-fire". It's a 38 euro (55 dollar) fine for a first offence.
I know this ban is a step in the right direction health wise, but a heap of bar owners will be going out of buisness with this.
As far as I know the fines will be going the same place as taxes, but wouldn't it be a good idea if the money went to help smoking prevention groups and health education?

We had this same sort of regulation passed in one of the states in which I live in the U.S. and it has not affected any of the bars. People still come and drink. They just go outside to smoke.

The other state I live in has also passed a smoking ban, however their regulation states that smoking is allowed but only within an establishment that gets the majority of it's monetary gain (sales) in alcohol, etc (not food).

Dave Wilkinson
12-22-2007, 23:52
Yes.....it's not good, - but my pipes have been burning for over forty years, - I can still swim a mile, and cycle about twenty or thirty, so think I'll chance it for a few more years :o

Back2theFuture
12-23-2007, 00:08
Sorry to say I do! I never really thought twice about it until this year for some reason...24 now, and currently trying to quit, again lol. I stopped for a year in I think 02 ! Then started again sadly, but not so sadly. I know its bad, its my only vice, and I dont use that as an excuse, but truth. Not to mention, like cigar enthusiasts, Ive come to enjoy different tobaccos etc, not just hitting 7-11 for a pack, but tasting all kinds of tobaccos grown all over the world, Bali Shag has been my staple for the last year though Its a shi!#y habit for sure, but when I work I just smoke (artists/clothing designer, and I work at night, sunset to sunrise if i can help it) so just becomes "normal" i guess, not to mention a good hot french vanilla and a cigarette cant be beat lol. But lately as my work is branching to other things now, jewelry for example, (i hand make everything i do for my label) I find myself worried about smell!! And now, just not digging the smell overall, it and my good ol burning lungs killing me when I wake up is getting superrrrr annoying! Plus, Id save $$ haha, for film!
Bryan

rovnguy
12-23-2007, 07:15
That's the way it is... period.

sepiareverb
12-23-2007, 10:20
We had this same sort of regulation passed in one of the states in which I live in the U.S. and it has not affected any of the bars. People still come and drink. They just go outside to smoke...

Can't do that in New Hampshire, gotta be 50' from any door. So, even on the centerline of the street is too close. I guess you could go in your parked car to smoke, but then you can't have an open container in the car, so, dash in and have a sip, then dash out and have a puff, back and forth. Good exercise.:bang:

kuzano
12-23-2007, 13:52
Years ago, I took in a computer for repair... it wouldn't boot. When I opened the case the stench of cigarette invaded my nose. I started checking the machine out. I disconnected all the data and power cables and was confronted with yellow brownish deposits on the contacts. I plugged everything back together, powered it up and it booted just fine and ran well.

I then took it all apart again, used canned contact cleaner on the connectors and put it all back together. Again... worked fine.

As the smoke is drawn into electrical devices, the tars build up in the connectors and actually separate them from contact.

Gee, do I want that in my body?

Haven't touched cigarettes, pipes or cigars since.

amateriat
12-23-2007, 22:01
Years ago, I took in a computer for repair... it wouldn't boot. When I opened the case the stench of cigarette invaded my nose. I started checking the machine out. I disconnected all the data and power cables and was confronted with yellow brownish deposits on the contacts. I plugged everything back together, powered it up and it booted just fine and ran well.

I then took it all apart again, used canned contact cleaner on the connectors and put it all back together. Again... worked fine.

As the smoke is drawn into electrical devices, the tars build up in the connectors and actually separate them from contact.

Gee, do I want that in my body?

Haven't touched cigarettes, pipes or cigars since. Now there's a new angle: If you won't stop for your own sake, think about all that hardware you spent silly money on!!!

Given the way the male mind works, at least, who's to say it wouldn't work?

- Barrett

Mael
01-14-2008, 10:49
There is no answer in this poll like "Yes, but only hemp"...:D

Edit : I quit smoking 4 years ago.

MikeCassidy
02-06-2008, 05:50
No. I did four packs a day for about 8 years; I worked on a Kabutz and was given free packs of cigarettes which I intented to sell in England BUT I ran out of money which meant I ran out of food which meant I started smoking. I also had a big chunk of hash I had bough t in Isreal. By the time I got to England I was smoking.

I stoppped cold turkey and started running marathons. I never missed it; though I did wake up from dreams where I had been smoking.

Smoking was one of the dumber things I've done; and I've done many dumnb things.

akptc
02-06-2008, 07:20
Quit cold turkey a month ago and have not felt a need to go back. Looking forward to my life insurance rates coming down 80% :)

Al Kaplan
02-06-2008, 07:55
I'm 65 and I started at 14, about a pack a day although for a few years I smoked a pipe. I roll my own, no filter, and carry them in a 1920's art deco engraved sterling silver cigarette care with some gold trim.

When my first wife was in med school I read an article in one of her med journals that said we could satisfy our nicotine desire faster by smoking non-filter cigarettes so we'd get less other crap.

I just got through with about every test and scan that Medicare would pay for. My lungs have good capacity and look clean, and I don't have shortness of breath.

I did discover that I had epilepsy when I stopped smoking pot 7 years ago. It seems that pot is a great anti-seizure medicine. My neurologist keeps telling me that it's cheaper and more effective than the pills I take. Like she says "No cop is going to search a well dressed guy your age looking for a joint!"

Morca007
02-06-2008, 10:10
Al- It certainly is. I have a friend who smokes largely to control his huge migraines.

On another note, I'm considering picking up a decent briar pipe for tobacco. I just love the smell of a good pipe tobacco. Any advice?

jack palmer
02-06-2008, 10:34
A friend was diagnosed just last week with inoperable lung cancer. One tumor wrapped around an artery, one that has cracked a rib (?) and one in his spine. He goes tomorrow for the consultation that will layout his options. I'm sure if anything these will be options that will just add a bit of time to what is a certain death sentence. The ironic thing is; his wife the week before was given a clean bill of health after undergoing months of chemo herself for cancer. Life is a bitch sometimes. I quit 16 years ago when my wife was pregnant with our son. The truth is. I enjoyed smoking.... but I don't miss it.

dmr
02-06-2008, 11:23
Al- It certainly is. I have a friend who smokes largely to control his huge migraines.

That's the first time I've ever heard of that one!

Any advice?

Yes, don't! :)

Al Kaplan
02-06-2008, 12:25
It's not easy finding a good pipe or good tobacco these days. All the pipe shops seem to have closed up. I used to like Edgeworth Sliced but it's no longer made. A little blue tin was a dime around 1960. Now you can get a nice piece of change for just an empty box on Ebay. If I'd only saved all those empty tins ;-(

BigSteveG
02-06-2008, 12:42
A cigar once month or so.....I smoked for about 20 yrs and eneded at 2 1/2 packs a day. What got me to quit? As the paramedics were taking Pop to the hospital and he stopped them and motioned to me. When I got close, he told me to bring a pack to the hospital for him. That was in '98. It was the best move I ever made.

yerba
02-06-2008, 13:11
For the price of a single cigarette pack I can buy 5 rolls of slightly outdated (but still giving excellent results) fuji superia's. Go figure.

drewbarb
02-06-2008, 13:26
"Do you smoke after sex?"

"I don't know- I never looked..."

Bryce
02-06-2008, 14:18
I voted in this poll a long time ago, "smoker, no plans of quitting".
Well, I quit on the 1st of the year; finally succumbed to peer pressure.
Not enjoying it, frankly my dark humor has been out in full color... "So this is why non smokers are such a whiney, pathetic bunch of fat asses..." I can't help think. "No wonder they need so much perfume!"
If I don't stop feeling so irritable soon I might just go back.

drewbarb
02-06-2008, 14:22
I have complete sympathy, but stick with it, Bryce. I quit five and half years ago; my recollection was that the first month was easy, but it got worse from there. The second and third months that were the hardest. But in the end you'll feel better, even if you have to join the ranks of the whiners.

jpiseminger
02-17-2008, 18:37
To Al Kaplan: Al, I too like my pipes and I have no intention of quitting. My favorite all-day-every-day tobacco is Prince Albert in the red container (they aren't "cans" any more!). Fortunately, my favorite tobacco store here in Lancaster, Demuth's, keeps it stocked for me. If you are interested in well made pipes at a reasonable price, look up Jake Hachert on the web. He's a local pipe artisan, and I have several of his pipes. They all smoke great for me. Happy puffing!

Richard Black
02-18-2008, 05:35
To Al and jp,
I read your notes and thought of my granddad, smoke PA in a can, real cans, for ove 60 years. Think of the cans he would have had. Might I suggest Stokelby's Luxury Slices, a nice virginia sliced flake. Smooth and sweet.

John Robertson
02-19-2008, 16:55
Not enjoying it, frankly my dark humor has been out in full color... "So this is why non smokers are such a whiney, pathetic bunch of fat asses..." I can't help think. "No wonder they need so much perfume!"

Could not agree more, Pub smoking ban brought in by Scottish Government last year, has almost halved the trade in my local during winter. (who wants to stand outside in the Scottish climate for a fag!!)
Funny thing, all the whiney wingers who used to complain about the smoke
(mostly "ladies" who wear sensible shoes:rolleyes: ) are now moaning that there is no atmosphere in the pub.:bang:

gb hill
02-19-2008, 18:14

Get yourself a pipe!!!

gb hill
02-19-2008, 18:29
A pipe shop I frequent. Run by 2 very nice older ladies.

Bryce
02-19-2008, 21:42
Hey, I was just blowing off a little steam. Or what ever it was.

gb hill-
A pipe? Hey, I'd have been perfectly happy to cut down to 5 cigarettes a day. That was harder for me than quitting, so I did it.
So a pipe? Heh, I'd be inhaling that stuff 18 times a day in no time!
No regrets really, the benefits are just in the abstract or the distant future. Too bad there aren't really any in the short term outside of being more socially acceptable (insert vomiting sound). And I just can't wait for that constant irritated feeling to go away- or have I just succeeded and become non smoker?

John Robertson-
All places of business (indoor) were made smoke free a couple of years ago. We (Seattle area) survived, including nearly all of our drinking establishments. The really stinky ones no longer have smoke to cover it up, and the not so stinky ones don't either.
Our climate should be pretty similar to Scotland's I think. Well, our law went so far as to ban smoking within 25 feet of a window or vent. So technically, it is illegal to smoke on most sidewalks here! Naturally there have been some rather humorous protests like smokers blocking traffic, but in reality the police just aren't trying to enforce.
Anyway, I'm surprised to hear there has been that much impact on business.

Joe
02-19-2008, 22:17
I smoked two packs of Marlborough reds a day for years. On April 1 around 7 years ago I was talking to a friend on the phone and running out of breath (and not yet 35). My friend said "why don't you quit right now?" I did and haven't had a cig since.

Morca007
02-19-2008, 22:36
And I just can't wait for that constant irritated feeling to go away- or have I just succeeded and become non smoker?
That's a definitive yes.

wilt
03-21-2008, 14:04
Began smoking while being a student, smoked for about 8 years, then quit. Been smoke-free for about a dozen years.

Used to smoke filterless Pall Mall or Chesterfield and the pipe; especially liked a W.O. Larsen tobacco.

Miss smoking every once in a while, especially after dinner, with wine and beer, but generally am glad to have quit.

NickTrop
04-03-2008, 16:47
Do you smoke?

Bebe, I'm always smokin'...
Just ask the laaaaaaaaaadies.

Tengo todas las chicas!
|
I've got ALL the girls!
|
Whooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
|

sreeja
04-04-2008, 03:09
I don't smoke.I know that it is dangerous to human body.

mwooten
04-08-2008, 16:46
I am taking care of my mother now. She is 76 years old. She has Lung Cancer and end-stage COPD. Her lungs give her only 20% of what they should. I urge those of you who smoke to quit -- if not for yourselves then for those who love you.
michael

russianRF
12-15-2008, 20:39
I see tobacco is the only thing the quiz covers...

...just sayin'.

bmattock
12-15-2008, 20:52
I was a two-pack-a-day smoker and quit about five years ago.

Now, I find I can't stand being around cigarette smoke, and I have to leave a bar or pub or even a restaurant if the smoke is very heavy - it never used to bother me.

But - I do not blame smokers. It was a choice I made to smoke, and it was a choice I made to stop. YOU should do what you want to do. It's your life, your body, and you have the right to do with it as you please.

Non-smokers who have never smoked (or at least never been addicted) do not understand. They think that preachy, holier-than-thou crap works. It doesn't. It makes us irritated with you, is what.

Yes, we know it kills. Yes, we know second-hand smoke can't be good for anyone, either. It's a drug - but it is a legal drug. Until that changes, it's still a personal choice, and I support personal choice.

Yes, my dad died at 61, and he was a four-pack-a-day man. Did smoking kill him? Probably had something to do with it. My granddad was a heavy smoker too - unfiltered Raleighs. He made it to 78. My other granddad was a heavy smoker, unfiltered Bel-Airs, and he made it to 85. Did smoking end their lives earlier? Yes, probably.

But here's what you non-smokers don't get. Smokers DO NOT CARE. It is a drug, we're addicted. You don't understand that because you have never been addicted - and I'm not talking about being addicted to sugar, or caffeine, or any of that pansy crap. I'm talking about cocaine and heroin type addiction. You could tell smokers that you have an x-ray of their lungs and the tests just came back and they are GOING TO DIE TOMORROW and they would shrug and light up another one. We LIKE to smoke, it FEELS GOOD and we generally don't have any desire to quit. Your words are just so much blah, blah, blah to us.

Of course, this means nothing to most of you. You have never been addicted, you don't get it, and even after my little rant, you will still continue to preach to your friends and family, out of love and concern, I'm sure, but it will do no good, except to mark you as a complete prat.

Some of us will quit by quitting. Some of us will quit by dying. And that's that. All your words, all your logic, all your photos of diseased lungs, they mean nothing to us. Our addiction is much stronger than your puny facts.

So, smokers, have one for me. I used to love it, but I'm glad I quit. Food tastes better, and I can exercise without coughing up lung butter. But if you don't want to quit, don't. Enjoy it.

bcostin
12-15-2008, 21:04
No smoking for me, though I sometimes think I'd look good with a pipe. :) I've had athsma all my life have enough gunk in my chest already. But I don't think of it as a moral failing, and I detest the current attempts to make every indoor and outdoor area into "tobacco free zones", which seems to the latest anti-smoking power-trip.

photogdave
12-15-2008, 21:07
Guess what Bill? Non-smokers DO NOT CARE that you are an addict!
Smokers use that "I"m an addict" crap to annoy us with their disgusting habit. Smokers don't understand us because they've forgotten what it's like to breathe clean, fresh air. My walk to work is ruined every single morning by some inconsiderate smoker lighting up in front of me, forcing me to hold my breath as I scoot past to fresher air. The streets, sidewalks and even flower beds are awash in filthy discarded butts.
I BLAME smokers. It's a choice they make to smoke. No one forces a gun to their head. And in this day and age when all the health information is available, and given the expense of tobacco products, it's a STUPID choice!

bmattock
12-15-2008, 21:20
Guess what Bill? Non-smokers DO NOT CARE that you are an addict!

I know that.

Smokers use that "I"m an addict" crap to annoy us with their disgusting habit. Smokers don't understand us because they've forgotten what it's like to breathe clean, fresh air. My walk to work is ruined every single morning by some inconsiderate smoker lighting up in front of me, forcing me to hold my breath as I scoot past to fresher air. The streets, sidewalks and even flower beds are awash in filthy discarded butts.

It is disgusting. It is also legal. And therein lies the rub.

I BLAME smokers. It's a choice they make to smoke. No one forces a gun to their head. And in this day and age when all the health information is available, and given the expense of tobacco products, it's a STUPID choice!

You are free to blame smokers.

And it is a stupid choice.

And in a free society where tobacco is still legal for adults, it is a stupid choice they are allowed to make.

My comments had to do with non-smokers who think they can tell smokers about the risks, show them the facts, give them a good education on the dangers, and expect them to immediately come to their senses and quit. They won't because they are addicted. That's not an excuse, that's an explanation. They don't care what you say to them. And they've heard it before anyway - you guys always think you're the first one who ever though of popping your little health factoids out of your heads at smokers. The drug they are addicted to tells them not to pay attention to your facts, and they don't.

Now, I agree with you about the dangers of smoking. And I agree with you about the imposition that smokers put on non-smokers who have to walk the gauntlet to get past them as they sully the air. I think that laws are slowly changing to reflect society's growing desire not to tolerate that behavior anymore. But change comes slowly.

In the meantime, it's legal. Sorry. I'm not fond of liberals, but apparently there is no open season on them, and they're allowed to hold their idiotic beliefs, so there you go. Something I just have to put up with, you know?

And while I'm at it --- I am also of the opinion that people who go to great lengths to tell others how to live 'because it's good for them' never stop. They aren't satisfied if you quit smoking. No, they want you to lose weight and eat right and exercise, and oh by the way, they're Vegans and wouldn't you be happier if you just quit eating murdered animals, and while we're on the subject, did you know guns kill? IT NEVER ENDS.

Oh, those people never admit that, no. They only want you to do change this ONE THING and they THEY PROMISE they won't stick their noses into your business anymore. But do they keep that promise? Hahahahaha. No.

So I tend to tell people who wish to give me direction in my life to jump in lake.

mh2000
12-15-2008, 21:23
2 packs a day for 15 years... clean for 15 years now.

...other stuff, heavily for about 5 years... got too boring to continue...

now I'm just getting old and shooting old cameras...

:)

mtwo
12-15-2008, 21:23
I really wonder why a thread like this. Are rff folks obsessed with polls?

photogdave
12-15-2008, 21:24
And while I'm at it --- I am also of the opinion that people who go to great lengths to tell others how to live 'because it's good for them' never stop. They aren't satisfied if you quit smoking. No, they want you to lose weight and eat right and exercise, and oh by the way, they're Vegans and wouldn't you be happier if you just quit eating murdered animals, and while we're on the subject, did you know guns kill? IT NEVER ENDS.

Oh, those people never admit that, no. They only want you to do change this ONE THING and they THEY PROMISE they won't stick their noses into your business anymore. But do they keep that promise? Hahahahaha. No.

So I tend to tell people who wish to give me direction in my life to jump in lake.

I agree completely. That's why I keep my mouth shut even after I stop holding my breath!

bmattock
12-15-2008, 21:27
I agree completely. That's why I keep my mouth shut even after I stop holding my breath!

And I keep my mouth shut when I have to leave a bar or restaurant because the smoke is too much for me now. I would be quite the hypocrite to complain about the smoke after having contributed to it for so many years. So I just leave and find another place and keep my thoughts private.

I vowed that when I quit I would never become one of those former-smoker/anti-smoker people. Those guys are freaky.

Al Kaplan
12-15-2008, 22:00
A few weeks ago I was chatting with my doc. We were discussing recent research that nicotine seems to slow down or maybe even prevent Alzheimers, it increases cognitive abilities, moderate smoking protects lung tissue from exposure to more harmful chemicals, like a sun tan protects your skin from getting a sun burn.

The older generation that's been dying of lung cancer was a generation that grew up in an era when air polution was rampant ~ auto exaust without catalytic converters, houses, schools and factories heated with coal, factories powered by coal, electricity generated by burning coal, trains running on coal, and no "scrubbers" on those smoke stacks. Coming out of the Great Depression grey skies and foul air were a symbol that people were working again. Prosperity! And asbestos was in plaster, and paints contained lead and mercury.

The X-rays showed clean lungs, he said they sounded good, I had good lung capacity, my blood was well oxygenated, and he remarked that he was jealous that I still had all my hair and a flat belly, offered me some Viagra samples, told me I was good for another thirty years, and we said goodbye until the next check-up. I went outside and lit a cigarette. I nthought about the folks I'd known who never smoked but died of heart attacks in their 40's and 50's. One was 17. Maybe he wouldn't have been so grossly overweight if he'd been a smoker.

I did quit once, back in 1978. I was going through a divorce and it was taking its toll on me. My doc had me on traquilizers. One day after a routine exam, as he was writing up his report, he lit up and offered me a cigarette. Yup, even docs smoked in their offices back then. When I declined the cigarette, telling him that I'd quit, he asked me when. He soon realized that it was shortly before he'd prescribed the tranquilizers. He again offered me a cigarette, telling me that they were less harmful than the drug I was taking. I lit up and I bought a pack on the way home. I've been feeling good ever since.

It is a nasty habit, though, and the mosquitos all agree that my back yard would be a much more pleasant place to hang out and bite people if there wasn't all that nasty smoke around. They have to go next door to eat.

Rayt
12-15-2008, 22:14
Freedom has its price. It is really a matter of who is paying the price for your freedom.

toothless
12-16-2008, 01:47
I quit about 9 months ago, I've always loved having a cigarette, I don't really even know why I quit to be honest, maybe I was trying to prove I could, who knows, haha, I love the smell of other people smoking... will I smoke again? Perhaps if I learn moderation ;)

Mattikk
12-16-2008, 02:20
You mean cigarettes? No. ;)

Lilserenity
12-16-2008, 04:02
I used to, but I quit oooh, July last year so almost 18 months ago. At first I admit I missed it but as time has past, I don't at all now. I had tried quitting plenty of times before (always gone the cold turkey route...) but usually lapsed a few months afterwards. Once the lure of cheap Luckies on a trip to Tunisia was too much!

That said, as a non-smoker, I certainly don't force that on others and if someone is smoking near me, I'll just move without making a fuss.

That said, I find some of the most sumptuous and sultry photos to be smoking shots... Go figure!

John Lawrence
12-16-2008, 05:27
I don't smoke and put this down to my late father who always smoked cigars. As a kid I would pester him for the butt ends, which he usually put in the funnel of my clockwork train as it went round the track. One day though he gave me about the last inch of his cigar to smoke, which I did and was violently sick. I never wanted to smoke after that!

dmr
12-16-2008, 06:18
I really wonder why a thread like this.

Since I was the one who started this, I'll try to answer.

I was curious.

There was a poll and a thread on another board, and I was curious as to how the people here would score on it. I actually did a cut-paste of the options.

Interesting are the numbers of those who have never smoked and those who smoke with no intention of quitting.

Are rff folks obsessed with polls?

Yes, we are.

bmattock
12-16-2008, 07:04
Today is (hopefully) my last day!

I quit once before in earnest, using Chantix. Worked well for 5-6 months and in a fit of stupidity, started again. So I just nearly finished my first week's "build-up dose" of Chantix and tomorrow is the first day I stop smoking.

Hopefully for the LAST freakin' time. I wish I never started, but you can thank my mom, the military and a weak will. :D

The hard part is standing there with a beer in one hand... And no butt in the other.

Good luck! I had a very tough time quitting. One thing I recall helped me - when my mind tried to make me go have a cigarette, I realized that trickery was called for. I gave myself permission to have a smoke - but one catch - I had to wait 2 minutes. By this method, I discovered that if I waited two minutes, the urge would have passed. You only have to be strong for 2 minutes. Good luck!

russianRF
12-16-2008, 07:24
You mean cigarettes? No. ;)

I hear that! You all on this forum are tobacco-centric. Think about the OTHER smokers!

rogue_designer
12-16-2008, 07:26
Good luck! I was very glad when I quit. Tho like Bill, it was not easy. The two minute rule is great, and very right on.

I still smoke a cigar every other week or so, but I am MUCH healthier (and even with really nice cigars, it's much cheaper than the cigs were).

Dave Wilkinson
12-16-2008, 07:41
I'm not in any way condoning the habit - I gave up cigarettes many years ago, but are Tom A and me the only ones here, who enjoy a pipe occasionaly?
Dave.

bmattock
12-16-2008, 07:58
I hear that! You all on this forum are tobacco-centric. Think about the OTHER smokers!

You mean the criminal scum? :angel:

bmattock
12-16-2008, 08:00
I'm not in any way condoning the habit - I gave up cigarettes many years ago, but are Tom A and me the only ones here, who enjoy a pipe occasionaly?
Dave.

I would like to, but I cannot. I found that I inhaled both pipe and cigar, and if I were to begin again, I'm sure I would, which would lead to ... well, enough to say I just can't go down that road again.

Justin Smith
12-16-2008, 08:02
I experimented a bit with smokeless tobacco and cigarettes in my teen years, but never really took to them. As others have stated here, cigarette smoke often give me headaches; I think about all the migraines that I had as a child and wonder if they would have been as frequent if my dad hadn't smoked as much.

I do enjoy the occasional cigar when I walk the dog, though. Cigar smoke and pipe tobacco don't seem to bother me like cigarettes do - their smoke seems more "harsh".

bmattock
12-16-2008, 08:07
I experimented a bit with smokeless tobacco and cigarettes in my teen years, but never really took to them. As others have stated here, cigarette smoke often give me headaches; I think about all the migraines that I had as a child and wonder if they would have been as frequent if my dad hadn't smoked as much.

I do enjoy the occasional cigar when I walk the dog, though. Cigar smoke and pipe tobacco don't seem to bother me like cigarettes do - their smoke seems more "harsh".

To an addict, those who dabble with cigarettes and cigars while they linger in bars are mere dilettantes. A smoker who is addicted is smoking for the enjoyment and to satisfy the craving addiction causes. A non-smoker having a cigarette or cigar in a bar is trying to get horizontal with a fellow idiot.

And nothing is more ridiculous than the sight of a 20-something with a pipe in his mouth. Like a teenager in a Mister Rogers sweater, it just ain't right. If you're under 50 and smoke a pipe, you're just trying to tell the world that you have a big phallum bway-bway.

Justin Smith
12-16-2008, 08:19
To an addict, those who dabble with cigarettes and cigars while they linger in bars are mere dilettantes. A smoker who is addicted is smoking for the enjoyment and to satisfy the craving addiction causes. A non-smoker having a cigarette or cigar in a bar is trying to get horizontal with a fellow idiot.

And nothing is more ridiculous than the sight of a 20-something with a pipe in his mouth. Like a teenager in a Mister Rogers sweater, it just ain't right. If you're under 50 and smoke a pipe, you're just trying to tell the world that you have a big phallum bway-bway.

Okay... I'm not really sure why you quoted my post while referring to smoking in bars, but I do agree with you about youngsters smoking pipes (which I do not smoke, but enjoy the smell when someone else is).

bmattock
12-16-2008, 08:24
Okay... I'm not really sure why you quoted my post while referring to smoking in bars, but I do agree with you about youngsters smoking pipes (which I do not smoke, but enjoy the smell when someone else is).

Sorry, got off on a tangent. I do that, bad habit. My apologies.

EDIT: And pipe smoke smells great, even to me as a former smoker. Wish I could imbibe, but I can't.

maelswarm
12-16-2008, 08:24
I hate breathing in second hand smoke, which is my main gripe. I don't give a crap if they are killing themselves, but I don't want to have it anywhere near me. You can't avoid it on the streets sometimes, and there are those who continue to smoke in restricted areas. Sometimes I wish I had some asbestos to throw in their face, in return for blowing carcinogens into mine.

Justin Smith
12-16-2008, 08:28
No apologies necessary, bmattock. I was just joining in the discussion...

On second thought, I do know one 20-something who CAN pull off smoking my pipe. My cousin plays banjo in an alternative bluegrass band, and has this long, scruffy ZZ-Top beard. With his mountain-man look, a pipe just looks "period correct". :)

bmattock
12-16-2008, 08:31
I hate breathing in second hand smoke, which is my main gripe. I don't give a crap if they are killing themselves, but I don't want to have it anywhere near me. You can't avoid it on the streets sometimes, and there are those who continue to smoke in restricted areas. Sometimes I wish I had some asbestos to throw in their face, in return for blowing carcinogens into mine.

I have to agree with you. Smokers have a right to smoke, but they not have a right to impose on others who do not. It is a matter of common courtesy. When I smoked, I disliked huddling under a shelter 100 yards from the front entrance to the building I worked at when it was 10 degrees F out, but that's the price you pay. People who do not smoke should not have to wend their way through the gauntlet of smokers in front of most office buildings.

Times have changed, though. I recall the only places my dad didn't smoke was church and the grocery store. He even smoked in department stores that were carpeted. I even remember they had ashtrays on the columns inside the store. Even movie theaters had ashtrays in the seat arms, as did most airplanes. All for the best - people who do not smoke should not have to put up with it.

On the other hand, people who do have courtesy and respect and who choose to smoke should be left in peace. I used to get the 'fake cough' thing from people who would go out of their way to wander over to where I was standing and be offended. "Oh, you're giving me cancer!" Sure, right.

bmattock
12-16-2008, 08:31

On second thought, I do know one 20-something who CAN pull off smoking my pipe. My cousin plays banjo in an alternative bluegrass band, and has this long, scruffy ZZ-Top beard. With his mountain-man look, a pipe just looks "period correct". :)

Fair enough - I stand corrected.

bmattock
12-16-2008, 08:34
I guess that really depends on where you live, now doesn't it? For example, I think the Dutch might take exception to your comment. Or the Jamaicans. ;)

...and pretty soon, maybe New Jersey!

OK, so not 'criminal' scum.

stefan_dinu
12-16-2008, 09:42
All the answers are about tobacco? I smoke all the time, but not tobacco. ;)

bean_counter
12-16-2008, 10:17

I know a handful of young pups in their 20's who smoke pipes; most also do living history of some sort, and got into it while being "period correct".

We need more youngsters, if we want to have something to smoke in the coming years. A lot of blends and blenders are falling by the wayside.

bmattock
12-16-2008, 10:34
With the intention of stirring debate on this topic, but at the risk of straying OT... What's different between marijuana and alcohol? Just because one is (still) illegal? Alcohol was the same way for a while and because of similar reasons. I hear of drunk drivers killing people almost daily - have yet to hear about a stoner killing someone on the way to 7-11 to pick up munchy food.

I buy my booze at a store, which is regulated, licensed, and taxed. No one is shot and killed bringing it into the country, no public officials are bribed, no tax dollars are wasted trying to interdict it or to prosecute those who bring it in. None of the money I pay for a six-pack goes to fund terrorists who use illegal drugs to finance their bombs and recruiting.

If you buy pot (in the US, in places where it is illegal), you do pay for those things.

DUI drivers should be prosecuted, they are criminals, and they damage our society and kill and injure innocent people. Your average stoner probably represents much less damage to our society, I agree - in direct terms. But in indirect terms, they do much more violence to the fabric of our society.

rogue_designer
12-16-2008, 10:43
I'm of the opinion that pot should be regulated, liscensed and taxed (heavily). Lots of new revenue for the government. Lots of money not spent on investigating, prosecuting and incarcerating people in various parts of the marijuana trade.

But until that happens, I'll have to agree with Bill.

stefan_dinu
12-16-2008, 11:13
But what about home growers? They are not supporting any criminal activity.
I strongly believe that marijuana is illegal because it helps you think. And the last thing goverments need are passive people thinking instead of producing and consuming.

mcctoronto
12-16-2008, 11:21
I buy my booze at a store, which is regulated, licensed, and taxed. No one is shot and killed bringing it into the country, no public officials are bribed, no tax dollars are wasted trying to interdict it or to prosecute those who bring it in. None of the money I pay for a six-pack goes to fund terrorists who use illegal drugs to finance their bombs and recruiting.

If you buy pot (in the US, in places where it is illegal), you do pay for those things.

DUI drivers should be prosecuted, they are criminals, and they damage our society and kill and injure innocent people. Your average stoner probably represents much less damage to our society, I agree - in direct terms. But in indirect terms, they do much more violence to the fabric of our society.

Sounds like I'm watching an episode of CNN. About 95 percent of weed is grown in the same country its sold in. It's the most patriotic thing you could buy in America. I bet more of my tax money has been used illegally than any of my weed money.

bmattock
12-16-2008, 12:08
Sounds like I'm watching an episode of CNN. About 95 percent of weed is grown in the same country its sold in. It's the most patriotic thing you could buy in America. I bet more of my tax money has been used illegally than any of my weed money.

Marijuana grown in the USA is grown in national forests and on public and private land that does not belong to the growers. They protect their interests with sophisticated alarm systems and kill trespassers. They are distributed by street gangs and outlaw motorcycle gangs that kill each others as well as innocent people who get in their way.

If you buy illegal drugs, your hands are not clean. You can think that they are if it helps you sleep better at night, but you're guilty in my opinion. I will do everything I can to make sure illegal drug buyers are arrested and prosecuted. I turn in drug dealers.

EDIT: And according to the DEA, only 25-30% of marijuana sold domestically in the US was grown here. Of course, with all illegal goods, estimates are prone to error.

bmattock
12-16-2008, 12:12
But what about home growers? They are not supporting any criminal activity.

Amateur hydroponics growers? No, you're right, they're not supporting criminal activity.

Those who grow in national forests protect their interests with guns and bombs. They are criminals, and buyers who buy from them are supporting that.

I strongly believe that marijuana is illegal because it helps you think. And the last thing goverments need are passive people thinking instead of producing and consuming.

I tend to doubt that explanation. If anything, I'd tend to support the notion that marijuana is illegal because it is hemp - and hemp is a threat to the lumber industry. If you want a valid-sounding conspiracy theory, that one would work.

stefan_dinu
12-16-2008, 12:31
Then why hyper active drugs like caffeine and tobacco, which are far more dangerous for your body than THC, are tolerated? Also because of the lumber? Or just because it serves the cause of a consumerist society? And why this dangerous addictive drug which is caffeine is promoted and marketed as the most popular brand in this consumerist world? Of course is paranoia from THC speaking, not me.
I do have the strong feeling that some are speaking from books and reports and others speak from experience. Which is which? Stop quoting DEA, or other "credible" sources.

Dave Wilkinson
12-16-2008, 12:37
Wow!.....fellas, gonna ditch all this sh#*, and just stick to the mushrooms!! :D

bmattock
12-16-2008, 12:38
Stop quoting DEA, or other "credible" sources.

All I can refer to are facts and estimates based upon public, vetted, law enforcement agencies. If you believe 'feelings' are better, then we are done discussing this. Thank you for your input.

Al Kaplan
12-16-2008, 13:18
My neurologist keeps telling me that I should smoke pot. It's more effective and less harmful than the anti-seizure meds she has me taking now, plus she says it's cheaper, even at street prices.

Al Kaplan
12-16-2008, 13:27
Might I suggest a new multi-question poll? Are rangefinder photographers more or less likely to be pot smokers compared to SLR shooters? ...or shoot B&W instead of color? ...or prefer film over digital?

stefan_dinu
12-16-2008, 13:36
One thing is sure. Some stiff, narrow view people around here could use a smoke. A real smoke. It is evidence enough for me.
And one more thing. It is absurd to blame a plant or the smokers just because by making it illegal, it generate criminality. All the criminal behavior pointed here is generated by the very act that's make it illegal in the first place.
(this is not a direct answer for bmattock. nothing will go through him, I am sure by now)

bmattock
12-16-2008, 13:39
I could quote violent crime statistics, domestic abuse and health statistics with regards to alcohol consumption, care to quote any empirical data supporting your "feelings' that the 'average stoner' does much more violence to the fabric of our society then alcohol?

Present only supportable data, please save us your 'feelings'. :rolleyes:

There is no need to present anything other than simple, understandable logic.

I do not drive drunk, nor do I hit my wife, drunk or sober. Therefore, when I drink, I commit no crime, nor do I damage society. Nor do many who drink.

On the other hand, if a person in the USA buys pot, they are buying it, ipso facto, from criminals. So the average stoner who does not grow their own DOES engage in criminal activity, each and every time they buy. They are willing participants in a criminal organization that extends from the grower to the ultimate buyer.

A person who drinks MAY commit crimes, and indeed, as you point out, many are the crimes committed by alcoholics and people who are drunk. The average pothead DOES commit crimes, every time they buy pot.

The difference is that not all who drink are criminals - but all who buy pot (in the USA in circumstances not yet legalized) are criminals and are supporting criminals.

This is simple fact, and cannot be refuted. Sorry if you do not like it.

Al Kaplan
12-16-2008, 13:49
As for smoking in resturants, stores ,offices, whatever, why not let the market determine what works best. If enough people avoid going into a "smoking allowed" place they'll either go out of business or change their business model.

bmattock
12-16-2008, 13:59
Meh. I'd rather hang out with a stoner than a drunk. Criminal or not. ;)

I don't generally care to hang out with either one.

So do you ever speed while driving? Let the parking meter run out, even a little? Cross when the light isn't green? Because those generate criminality also. I'm just sayin'... :D

Not the same thing, and I'm not just talking about degree. If I speed, I am not supporting an illegal industry - it's just me breaking the law. Even if I do something really bad, it's still just me doing it.

If I buy a fake Rolex watch, on the other hand, I am not just breaking the law (actually, probably only civil law in most places), but I am supporting a criminal organization that extends all the way back from the guy who sold it to me on the street to the gang that smuggled it in, to the organization that financed it, to the shop that made it in some alley in Taiwan. All illegal, all not paying taxes (at the minimum), all paying bribes, making threats, committing violence, and generally harming society - and that's if they are NOT also supporting terrorism, as many of these organizations do.

Now, which is worse from the point of view of damaging society? Speeding, or buying a fake Rolex?

When a person buys illegal goods or services, they are tacitly supporting the organization that makes such things available. That, to me, is far more damaging to society than running a red light.