PDA

View Full Version : 1:5 Seems to be the Proper Mix

Honu-Hugger
02-25-2005, 19:36
After a period of exhaustive testing I believe 1:5 is the proper Martini mix, but in the interest of further research I thought a poll might be in order.

richard_l
02-25-2005, 19:56
Coat inside of Martini glass with Vermouth. (Pour in, swirl around, pour out.) Stir (don't shake) Gin with ice and strain into glass. Add olive. (It's okay to shake Vodka, but then you're not making a Martini.)

Todd.Hanz
02-25-2005, 20:00
I never make them, just drink'em!

Todd

wlewisiii
02-25-2005, 20:01
Vermouth as richard says, but I do prefer vodka to gin.

Still, I'm much more inclined to a nice single malt from the Isles.

William

Pecker
02-25-2005, 20:50
Obviously, you know more about Martinis then cameras :D (just left the Camera and Coffee post)!

1:5 is the only way to mix, otherwise you're drinking Gin or Vermouth.

Stu :)
02-25-2005, 20:56
Depends on how you like your Martini-

Sweet: 1:2 Sweet Vermouth : Gin/Vodka/Blue Gin

Regular: 1:4 Vermouth : Gin/Vodka

Dry: 1:6 Dry Vermouth : Gin/Black or Blue Label Smirnoff

Extra Dry: Point out to the martini glass the Vermouth bottle and add that vodka they also use to degrease tractors in Siberia.

This coming from someone who prefers West Isles Scotch...

Stu :)

back alley
02-25-2005, 21:01
a really dry vodka martini!?

lots of vodka and then whisper 'vermouth' over the glass.

Honu-Hugger
02-25-2005, 21:21
Obviously, you know more about Martinis then cameras :D (just left the Camera and Coffee post)!

1:5 is the only way to mix, otherwise you're drinking Gin or Vermouth.

I just left the "Camera and Coffee" post, too -- have a drink (it's Friday, relax)! :D

rbiemer
02-27-2005, 11:30
I don't drink martinis very often(as someone once said"One is too many and three aren't enough) But when I do:
Give keys to bartender!
Fill martini glass with crushed ice and pour about half a shot of dry vermouth on the ice.
While glass is chilling, Pour 2 1/2 or 3 shots of gin(I like Bombay Saphire) into a mixing glass filled with ice.
Dump contents of martini glass into the sink and strain the gin from the ice into the glass. Add 2 or 3 honking big olives and sip while trying to look debonair for the first swallow or two.
Repeat as needed.
I prefer gin but am not a snob who doesn't consider a vodka martini a real martini.
Some time ago, I finished my 11 hour shift in the kitchen and wanted a drink. Asked my bartender for a martini(which she was happy to make after getting over the shock--I usually stick to Labatt's and Quervo), took my delightfully frosty glass to the table where the waitresses were also relaxing after a hot busy night. I sat next to Marie who promptly decided she would steal one of my olives. She was NOT a gin person and spent the next several minutes trying to keep her self from getting sick. I,being the compassionate guy I am :rolleyes: , bought her a vodka martini after I stopped giggling.
Rob

Honu-Hugger
02-27-2005, 11:42
That's funny -- reminds me of my first taste of gin. One thing I'm particular about is the olive; I love anchovie stuffed olives (not sure how Marie would have handled that with the gin!).

rbiemer
02-27-2005, 11:49
I would've been holding her hair to keep it out of harm's way while she puked. Not the best way to work out your abs :)
Rob

BJ Bignell
02-27-2005, 12:55
I've never made a Martini myself, but I know what I like: extra dry, and as many giant olives as I can possibly get without paying extra! :D

RayPA
02-27-2005, 17:04
1:7, always using vitamin V, and extremely cold. I beiieve the quote regarding 3 is too many one is not enough was made by George Burns when he compared the proper number of martinis to drink to a woman's breast (i.e., "a martini is like a woman's breast...). :p

nwcanonman
02-27-2005, 17:07
"otherwise you're drinking Gin or Vermouth"
And the problem is .....?
LOL
I'll take Tanquerey TEN,neat, anytime ~ ; - )

Pherdinand
02-28-2005, 05:20
Sorry-
I don't like Martini.
Call me weird, i don't care.

rbiemer
02-28-2005, 07:26
I beiieve the quote regarding 3 is too many one is not enough was made by George Burns when he compared the proper number of martinis to drink to a woman's breast (i.e., "a martini is like a woman's breast...). :p
PayPA,
I heard it the way I wrote it(one is too many /three aren't enough) and I think it's a quote of Dorothy Parker. Who also said "What a great party! One more drink and I would've been under the host."
I some time wonder where any of these folks found time to write and write well--I don't drink like that as it kills the next day or two and I don't want to give up the time.
Rob

hoot
04-24-2005, 18:22
I mix my martini 1:50 and slowly rotate the shaker for about 3 seconds every minute, then tap it against my barstool to release the air bubbles. Makes for very smooth grain alcohol.

RayPA
04-24-2005, 19:37
I mix my martini 1:50 and slowly rotate the shaker for about 3 seconds every minute, then tap it against my barstool to release the air bubbles. Makes for very smooth grain alcohol.

Sounds like a Rodinal martini. Do you serve in a stainless steel tank, or a plastic one? Either way I suggest a garnish of olives speared on a thermometer. :angel:

tajart
04-24-2005, 20:09
for an excellent description of the perfect martini one has to consult the master, luis bunuel- he describes it beautifully in "the last sigh." fortunately someone else has good taste in life and it can be googled; follow this link:
http://www.coldbacon.com/movies/bunuel-martini.html

and then there is the quote about servings:
one martini and you're underserved.
two martinis and you're under the influence.
three martinis you're under the table, and
four martinis and you're under the host.

i don't remember who said that but i think it was from one of the algonquin roundtable writers.

RayPA
04-24-2005, 20:34
for an excellent description of the perfect martini one has to consult the master, luis bunuel- he describes it beautifully in "the last sigh."...

I am a Bunuel fan. Thanks for passing on the link. I've not heard Bunuel's name mention in regards to martini lore. :p