PDA

View Full Version : 35RC meter calibration advice.

Nick_om10
05-02-2007, 02:11
Hi, Iím new to this forum, which I found through a google search when looking for information about the 35RCís I bought from ebay.

I have a problem with the metering on both. One seems to just not work at all, with the meter needle quivering, but not really moving (when looking at it after removing the base plate of the camera) I have read this is corroded wires and hope to try an fix it.

The other seemed to work when I first put a battery in. However, I soon discovered that it gave me an aperture of f/5.6 at 1/500sec with the lens cap on, in doors!!! It was actually giving readings of f/16 at 1/500sec with the cap off in the same conditions.

I tried to calibrate the meter by loosening the brass screws and turning the central part of it clockwise to lower the exposure, and it calibrated pretty well in low light, however it is about three stops out in bright light.

I really just need some advise on the best way to calibrate it. Should I do the calibration so it is correct for bright sun? I think I read somewhere that the meter was a bit hit and miss in low light.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

TLLIM
05-02-2007, 02:57
Hi Nick, I assume that you have the correct film speed and the right battery to begin with which is the PX625 or equivalent for 35RC. :o

I have the same issue with my Minolta 7SII which is about 2 stop difference. So if I have ISO 100 film, i will hav to adjust the film speed to 400 in order to obtain a reasonable correct exposure.

The issue is quite common. This is generally how we overcome it until of course it fail to work totally. Don't really know other way to calibrate it.

But having some reading even when the lens cap is on is something I can't explain.

Hope this helps.

Nick_om10
05-02-2007, 04:16
Thanks, I have used a 675 hearing aid battery in it, which was recommended elsewhere and should produce a constant 1.4v I think. ISO is set correctly.

I think I need to reset the meter to it's inital setting and then use the ISO suggestion you made.

At least I am getting a reading on this one, unlike the other which I can only use manually.

greyhoundman
05-02-2007, 04:45
It may have a CDS cell going bad. I've found this in a few RC's.

Nick_om10
05-02-2007, 05:25
It may have a CDS cell going bad. I've found this in a few RC's.

Is it possible to repair it?

Nick

greyhoundman
05-02-2007, 05:39
Yes. You have to find a CDS cell to fit the hole in the back of the name plate. I've used Konica C35, Ricoh 500 and others to get them up and running. I also tweak the meter to get it on the money. I don't like messing about with iso adjustments.

vicmortelmans
05-02-2007, 05:55
You already read this page:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-134.html

there's a section on meter adjustment.

Groeten,

Vic,

Nick_om10
05-02-2007, 07:22
Thanks all. I will try to recalibrate the meter and see how it goes. If not I will take the cell from my other 35RC (cosmetically untidy) and see if that works.

Thanks

nick