PDA

View Full Version : How many camera bags?

sepiareverb
04-29-2007, 12:25
A few threads have been going about different bags for different kits, so, how many bags do you have?

Domke F2- usual bag, M's, G's or a mix
Domke 803- traveling light bag, M's or G's
Domke F4AF- XPAN kit
Domke F7- former usual bag for Nikon SLR kit, now a store-room
Old, Small Tamrac- little bigger than the F4AF- my polaroid cameras live here
Older, Bigger Tamrac- thoroughly worn out precursor to the F7
Lowepro small backpack- SLR container for long days in the backcountry
Pelikan 1450- Veiw camera lenses
Pelikan 1650- the Canham 810
Sea & Sea (?)- Frankensteins home (the cobbled together 1114)
Hakuba LG aluminum case- all the rest of the stuff, filters, multifunction back, cable releases, spare caps, etc.

11. Whew.

back alley
04-29-2007, 13:14
for bags i have...

1 black m classic
1 black domke f6
2 black domke 5xb
1 sand domke 5xb
1 black no name book bag with an insert
1 black aluminum case
1 silver aluminum case
1 black tamrac (similar to the 5xb), very old bag

sepiareverb
04-29-2007, 13:26
Nice new pic Joe!

ray_g
04-29-2007, 13:27
Domke F2 and F3x for SLR
Domke 803, Lowepro a100, Billingham S3, M classics for RF
Olive F6 for either

A backpack for trips, and a couple of beltpacks I have not used in a while.

Michiel Fokkema
04-29-2007, 13:38
Well let's see,

Domke 803
Billingham 335
Lowe pro the biggest they have
Lowe pro ruck sack
Another low pro
Leica classic small
Leica classic big
Domke the biggest satchel they have
Another black leather Leica M bag
Ortlieb all weather satchel/rucksack
M50 military ammunition case for when I go sailing.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

dostacos
04-29-2007, 15:54
Domke F2 Pentax ME SUPER SLR film bag
Crumpler bag Spotmatic SLR film bag
Domke 803 SLR telephoto film bag
Domke F1 Digital SLR bag
Domke X5B 1 RF body and 2 lenses
Domke F6 little bit smaller 3 RF bodies and balance of lenses

all Domke's are sand...

Pelican hard case holding Kiev 88 & 60 medium format cameras and lenses
various other less used bags holding film cameras and lenses.

big cardboard box holding lots of old box and folders, a stereo camera etc.

I NEED to get a class cabinet to display my cameras :bang:

rover
04-29-2007, 15:57
F6, 5xb, F3x, 803
2 Tamracs
an Adorama Sling
a few more, but less than 10 I think

sepiareverb
04-29-2007, 17:00
Mighty lot of us have Domkes!

Xmas
04-30-2007, 09:49
all Domke's are sand...

I NEED to get a class cabinet to display my cameras :bang:

All my bags are full of sand and cameras
I need a big glass cabinet, so I can front loader the bags, normally all they get is a Dyson.

Noel

Graham Line
04-30-2007, 10:35
F5X for the rangefinder stuff (too small and hard to work out of, with too mcuh noisy velcro)
F3X for MF Nikon SLRs (wish they still offered gray)
F6 for AF Nikons (should have got the F2 with pockets on the ends)
old Banana Republic knockoff of a big Billingham for macro stuff, extra lenses and miscellaneous.

biomed
04-30-2007, 10:58
F803 for the RF gear, Lowepro film organizer AW for carrying RF, three lenses and film. I just sold most of my larger bags. I really like the little Lowepro bag.

ibcrewin
04-30-2007, 11:07
I was at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens last weekend for the Cherry Blossom Festival. I saw a guy with 3 bags. 2 had lenses in them and the third was for the body. Seems silly.

I have one bag for the Digital xt or the G depending which one I will be shooting with.

The R just gets slung around my shoulder. I do have a mountainsmith bag I use to put the long lenses in..

rbsinto
04-30-2007, 11:25
Tenba 995 for my SLR street kit- My every day walk around bag.

home-made shoulder bag for my rangefinder kit (S3 body/ four lenses/ incident light meter and a few rolls of colour slide film)

Lowepro backpack (Trekker(?) as storage for 300 2.8, , other extra lenses, extra body, extra film, etc when I go on a trip.

kuvvy
04-30-2007, 11:52
Billingham Hadley - Nikon D80 and lenses. Usually my choice as flight bag.
Blue Domke F-5xb - for RFs or OM-1 and 24mm & 50mm.
Safrotto 803 clone (just bought) - currently used without the insert as my day bag.
Wynnster shoulder / waist bag (small) - carries either my Hexar Silver or my G7 plus some bits and bobs.
Hakuba black aluminium case - for storage.
Crumpler McBains Baby & Crumpler Weenie - for sale as no longer used.

peter_n
04-30-2007, 12:54
In order of increasing size:

Domke F-803
Domke F-6
Domke F-2
Domke F-1X

bobkonos
04-30-2007, 13:20
Tan Billingham Hadley for RF gear (2 bodies, 3 lenses)
Black 'n tan Billingham Hadley large (used for storage only these days so soon to be posted)
Green Lowe Pro (SLR gear: 2 bodies, 4 lenses and filters, hoods)
Navy 'n tan Domke (older model holding other C/V RF system)
Black small Lowe Pro Luna (1 body, 2 lenses-ideal on the bicycle)

Magus
05-01-2007, 04:45
Post deleted by posters request

kshapero
05-01-2007, 04:50
I just debagged a little while ago.
Domke 805 reporter bag
Lowepro little carry on
Nikon bag, a big as a house
A&A forget the model, but a great little bag for everyday.

oftheherd
05-01-2007, 05:58
Well a 30+ year old canvas bag for my Fujica SLR kit
30+ year old Tenba style canvas I haven't been using
25+ year old aluminum case for my Super Press 23 kit
25+ year old small aluminum case I used to use for my Contax SLR kit
New (about 3 years old) bag from Printz for my FX 103 SLR kit
3 assorted thingies that came with ebay purchases
1 case for a 4x5
1 recently purchased (by my wife) leather case I haven't figured out
what to use with, but maybe I will buy some FSUs for it.

When I grow up maby I too will get a Domke. :D :D

al1966
05-01-2007, 06:19
mm lets see loads and I still cant find the perfect one so...
1 Big Tamrac cyber pro holds Laptop multiple cams great for travel but too big for wandering
2/3.. 2 times small lowepros 1 used for mini dv that never gets used
4 small minolta vectis bag great for my fsu rangefinder and some film
5 small samsonite horrible but it was free.
6 Crumpler messanger bag custom inserts my day to day bag
7 custom bum bag used for oy 5050
8 customised bag from army surplus store very unobtrusive
9 old lowe pro actually Im giving this one away
10 old metal finnish case not used.

From now on Ill be customising bags for mt own use except Im tempted to buy a pelican case for in the house storag.

Magus
05-01-2007, 07:50

icemendicant
05-01-2007, 08:39
Far too many - I'm sure they breed when I'm not looking...

Crumpler Formal Lounge backpack - my everyday 'manbag' which carries books, papers, bits and pieces, and has a camera compartment that holds an M or the G2, another lens and some film.
A&A Evans Walker x 2 for the Ms - to grab when off for a walk
Fogg Violin holdall for M-system lenses, accessories and stuff not in use at the moment.
Lowepro smallish impact nylon bag (not sure of the model) for the Mamiya 7
Peli 1550 case for travelling
Lowepro Commercial Pro AWII - redundant at the moment since selling off my Canon gear.

narsuitus
05-01-2007, 10:45
I have a large number of bags, cases, and pouches that I use to carry photographic equipment. Some are hard; some are soft. Some are large; some are small. Some are water proof; some are not. Some are padded; some are not. Some are used only for transportation, some are used only for storage, and some are used for both. Some are used for cameras and lenses, some for lighting, some for camera and/or lighting support (i.e. tripods, light stands, background support, etc), some for film and/or digital media, some for photo accessories such as filters and batteries, and some for equipment maintenance & repair tools. The material in the bags/cases/pouches varies from leather to cloth to plastic to metal to cardboard to a combination of the various materials.

Which ones I use depends on what equipment I am transporting, how much equipment I am transporting, and what mode of transportation I am using (i.e. plane vs. car vs. bike vs. walking).

When I travel with a light photographic load, I carry a small camera in a small bag or pouch that I attach to my belt.

When I travel by bike or on foot, I use a soft backpack and/or a belly pack.

My largest photo case is a hard 22x19x9 inch waterproof and crushproof case.

Magus
05-02-2007, 05:35

sepiareverb
05-02-2007, 06:36
I think I've finally found the bag for me- 90% of the time it's the F2. Roomy enough for what Iike to have- 2 or 3 bodies each with a lens and an extra lens or two in case, plus plenty of film (I shoot a bunch), the notebook to keep track of it all, filters, batteries, etc. And it is easy to work out of. I have my end pockets for fresh films- (one for color one for B&W- or one for fast and one for slow) the cameras go in and out easily without having to stop and fiddle.
Seems low profile enough for most of my locations- not that I'm usually anywhere I need to worry- and they are durable. My Tamracs looked awful after a year, then started to disintegrate. I also like the modular method Domke uses- I can have inserts for different stuff and mix up the bag easily- change out an insert and go, without having to move the films, the etc. I tend not to be so far from civilization anymore that I need waterproof- I can always pop into a shop if it starts to rain, or get back to the truck- but even when I've been caught out in the woods the bags are pretty good in moderate rain.
I also like the cotton material over Nylon/polystyrene whatever those others are made of. Not so hot on the hip come our humid summers.

I'm sure this wouldn't be the bag for everyone- but I was curious what folks use, mainly because I too find that I'm pretty particular about getting things right. (see my darkroom pics in FrankS darkroom thread)

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40458&highlight=darkroom+weekend

As to discipline, I try to lean on comedy and dry wit.

kalokeri
05-02-2007, 07:05
I have not found the perfect bag so far. I have tried 3 different bags, but none of them is the ideal one. The Billingham for Leica bag is quite ok, but too small. For travelling with rf and slr I have no decent bag, so the lowepro minitrekker is my choice. This backpack is great for everything up to 1 rf with 2-3 lenses and 1 slr with flash and 2-3 lenses.

Thomas

gregg
05-02-2007, 07:19
My day to day bag is a green Domke F6 - it holds a DSRL, flash, a iiic or M6 and a few extra lenses along with film, memory cards, etc.

RF-only bag: LowePro Nova 1

Photo Excursion (EVERYTHING fits): LowePro Mini Trekker AW backpack

schaubild
05-02-2007, 07:48
I must confess: 10+, too many in the eyes of she who must be obeyed, but this might be the ill fate of a camera junkie :)

(Billingham, Thinktank, Pelican, Lightware, Carnier, Lowepro, Hasselblad, Tenba, ...)

rogue_designer
05-02-2007, 14:55
Too many.

http://www.rogue-designer.com/new/pile_o_bags.jpg

mojojones
05-02-2007, 15:03
I've got a boat load of bags; 14 that are in use! 11 of them are Crumpler bags. I just love these things. They are not the best "pro" bag as they don't always allow quick access to the lenses, accessories, etc. But the are extremely overbuild: extra heavy nylon exteriors, extremely over padded, giant oversized zippers. These things are built like tank - could run over them! I can't remember all the names. They're funky ones like "Oh Lord", "Glamor bag", "The Harry Potter Device", and the "Steamer". One of their greatest assets is that they don't look like a camera bag. (BTW, all the ones I have are the older "messinger" style bags. Not the newer "man purse" styles!) The most embarrassing thing of all is that each bag holds a different camera system. I gotta start pushing things THE OTHER WAY thru eBay!

sepiareverb
05-02-2007, 17:09
Too many.

http://www.rogue-designer.com/new/pile_o_bags.jpg

Is that too many bags or too many strange members???

back alley
05-02-2007, 17:09
Is that too many bags or too many strange members???

yes....;)

j

raid
05-02-2007, 17:46
I store all of my SLR equipment in camera bags, so I may have 16-20 camera bags total.

Magus
05-03-2007, 05:57

Magus
05-03-2007, 09:22

raid
05-03-2007, 10:25
Magus,
I enjoy using my Canon T90 and F1N cameras. Both have excellent meters and both are built to last. As for lenses, I used to enjoy the super sharp Canon 500mm/4.5L lens for animal photography and some awesome sunsets. Another SLR lens for which I do not have a RF equivalent is the Canon 85mm/1.2L. The less serious wide angle lens, such as the 7.5mm (circular) fish-eye lens is still fun to use. In fact, last week I used the 7.5 lens on my M6. I used a 180 degrees fisheye door viewer to see what I will be getting on film. You are right about the sharpness of RF lenses and sometimes lack of it with some SLR wide angle lenses. I just bought a Nikkor 24mm/2.8 lens for next to nothing. It has an excellent reputation. I also bought for next to nothing a Canon 50mm macro lens.

Raid

sepiareverb
05-03-2007, 11:12
It is SLR's for long stuff. I kept my F4's for macro work, but haven't shot them since getting hooked by the M's. Stockhouses won't look at film, so I don't really need the macro these days.

winoto
05-03-2007, 23:41
another vote for "too many", all of them are 1980s vintage tenba bags of various colors and sizes (orange, tan, gray, black)... just over 10 bags. an aluminum cased technika is coming my way though. my first hard case!

sinetsin
05-04-2007, 00:57
5 bags:

Domke F6
Lowepro Nova2
Lowepro Orion trekker
tamron bag
black canon bag

Magus
05-04-2007, 03:12

ChrisN
05-04-2007, 03:46
I'm really not game to count, but probably between five and ten. I've finally arrived at using a Hadley Pro, for several weeks now, and I must admit I think I've found my perfect bag. It doubles as a briefcase, and is respectable enough for me to get away with carrying it for work. It is just the right size for a full rangefinder kit (two bodies and three lenses plus film etc) and still have room for the Ipaq, phone, MP3 player, and notebook. In the places I travel it does not scream "expensive cameras here!". It is very well made and the design is refined in a way that reflects many years of continuing development. The shoulder strap is neither too wide nor too narrow, and is just the right flexibility and has just the right amount of friction on the shoulder. The design and the fabric are actually rainproof without the need for extra little covers tucked away in pockets. It moulds to my hip. And best of all, it is quiet. No zippers, no screaming velcro, no plastic buckles going SNAP! I like it.

Sparrow
05-04-2007, 04:50
I'm really not game to count, but probably between five and ten. I've finally arrived at using a Hadley Pro, for several weeks now, and I must admit I think I've found my perfect bag. It doubles as a briefcase, and is respectable enough for me to get away with carrying it for work. It is just the right size for a full rangefinder kit (two bodies and three lenses plus film etc) and still have room for the Ipaq, phone, MP3 player, and notebook. In the places I travel it does not scream "expensive cameras here!". It is very well made and the design is refined in a way that reflects many years of continuing development. The shoulder strap is neither too wide nor too narrow, and is just the right flexibility and has just the right amount of friction on the shoulder. The design and the fabric are actually rainproof without the need for extra little covers tucked away in pockets. It moulds to my hip. And best of all, it is quiet. No zippers, no screaming velcro, no plastic buckles going SNAP! I like it.

I have one bag, that one, you’re correct
:)

sepiareverb
05-04-2007, 05:10
That orange of those old Teba bags was pretty nice as orange goes. My big Pelikan case for the 810 is orange- much more garish than 'Tenba Orange'.

I did forget my tripod bag- the Bogen bag for the 3201 tripod. Whoops.

Magus
05-04-2007, 10:53

Kin Lau
05-04-2007, 12:25
Lowepro slingshots 200AW & 300AW - the 300 currently holds 2 dslrs, 300/2.8, 400/5.6 2xTC, 1.4TC, 18-50/2.8, 580EX flash _and_ my Bessa R w/ 35/2.5 .

Then there's a bunch of smaller bags, mostly no-name and freebies.

sepiareverb
05-04-2007, 12:51
Oh yeah- there's that Fuji bag/fanny pack freebie thing I used to use for film when shooting with the backpack. Now I'm at 13.

Matthew55000
05-09-2007, 21:31
Zero bags for me

sepiareverb
05-10-2007, 06:47
Zero bags for me

So you're the one I set up that category for!!

robert blu
05-10-2007, 13:35
I am not sure if the correct answer is that between my wife and me we have too many bags. Or may be the correct answer is that between my wife and me we have not enough bags !
rob

al1966
05-12-2007, 17:45
mm lets see loads and I still cant find the perfect one so...
1 Big Tamrac cyber pro holds Laptop multiple cams great for travel but too big for wandering
2/3.. 2 times small lowepros 1 used for mini dv that never gets used
4 small minolta vectis bag great for my fsu rangefinder and some film
5 small samsonite horrible but it was free.
6 Crumpler messanger bag custom inserts my day to day bag
7 custom bum bag used for oy 5050
8 customised bag from army surplus store very unobtrusive
9 old lowe pro actually Im giving this one away
10 old metal finnish case not used.

From now on Ill be customising bags for mt own use except Im tempted to buy a pelican case for in the house storag.

well so much for Ill not buy any more I seem to have aquired another 4, 3 cheep 70s stlye zip up bags and a zoom holster but they all came aas parts of packages I bought off ebay they wernt intentional honest gov!!!!

PeterL
05-16-2007, 08:13
Bags are for sissies ! I just walk around with a Zorki+Summitar on a Gordon wrist strap now and a small light meter in my pocket. I was thinking of getting one in my SLR days, though, when I took 3 primes with me.

Peter.

cmogi10
06-14-2007, 16:16
My favorite (and also my only) camera bag is my Domke 803 and I love everything about it, it's just a little so small to fit my laptop, but you can't have the world.

I've almost bought a tamrac adventure 9 backpack for hikes and day trips but never felt the need to drop another 100 bucks on something I might use.

GoodPhotos
06-14-2007, 16:56
Hello. I'm Michael. <Hi Michael> I have a Domke Bag Fetish...
She Who Must Be Obeyed (she who keeps me sane) has determined that I can only replace bags at this point one for one. If I want a new bag, one has to go first. <sigh>

Currently I have:

Domke 803 Blue
Not a huge fan of blue, but it is what they had in stock. I used to use this for my M kits, but now I keep IIIf, its lenses and accessories, my Ikon, my Retinette and my Vitto B in this bag when I'm not shooting with them.

Domke 802 OD
This serves as my album briefcase for meetings with prospective couples.

Domke F2 Sand
I still have my original, though it is getting due for a replacement. For small events oroccasional news/feature work.

Domke F1X Sand
This is my standard wedding kit bag though I'm starting to outgrow it. Holds three bodies, three flashes, tons of lenses, batteries, cards, bridal survival kit, etc...

Domke F6 OD
This is my carry everyday bag when I want more than the IIIF and meter. My Rollei, Leica, Palm T|X, Canon 700IS, film/cards/USB key, Leatherman Wave, cellphone, 9cm Elmar w/finder and Digisix all fit in this easily with room for more if needed...It is even more of a joy to carry all day if I leave the Rollei home.)

Domke F3X Black Ballistic "White House Press" edition
I promptly de-tag-ed in the store to not look like a wannabe. If I want to carry a single DSLR, an SB800 or two, cards, batteries, maybe an extra lens and my Palm T|X, this is the bag I use. I'm not a huge fan of the nylon or black, but it was all the shop had when I was looking.

Domke F3? Chocolate canvas w/sand trim.
This is a bag from the very early days of Domke which I bought used when someone traded it in with some F3s at my local shop. It is the same basic design as my F3X, just much smaller and no side pockets. Has no model listed on the tag with the original Philly address and only a piece of leather sewn on instead of the 'Domke Gripper' stuff on the strap...no handle D rings (no handle, though I use one of my others with it) and it has snaps on the sides like it took snap on accesory pouches. After-market addition? The short two cell insert fits it perfectly for an alternative carry bag to the F6. Holds about as much but is half the size.

Customisation:
I rarely use the spring snaps, but I leave them on anyhow. I pull the hard bottom boards out of my Domkes (that came with them) and replaced the boards with closed cell foam pads cut to the same size. This still protects the contents but allow the bag to hug my back/side better when body slung or shouldered.

I fold a clear plastic bag up underneath the pad for use in an emergency and for further waterproofing the closed cell foam when I set the bag down on wet grass/leaves/sand/snow. I also usually have a bag folded up in the flap zipper section as well for a added waterproofing on the top. I usually cut the diagonal tags off and remove the big plastic luggage tags (thief flag) as well. I've added velcro to the F6 flap. I generally prefer the earth toned bags because I shoot in the sun a lot and they do help keep my gear cooler. I have several additional inserts that I use with old work out army rucksacks and the like when I travel someplace that camera bags are tempting thief magnets.

One day at a time...One day at a time.

Muller
06-23-2007, 20:19
Three. Two from MILSPEC that look somewhat like either a European military issue bread bag or large gas mask bag. One black for everyday use, the other in khaki/olive drab for use in the field.
Third is a US military map case, for when I pack light and need to look less conspicuous.

goo0h
06-23-2007, 20:58
I've got 3 so far:

Domke 5XB
Domke 803 -- Today was first outing with it and I think it's going to work out well.
Naneu Pro Tango -- Mainly to carry laptop, but can pack camera too :)

Morca007
06-24-2007, 01:42
I own two camera bags, but I use none.

Kent
06-24-2007, 01:54
2 - a medium sized one and a big one. But I very often shoot DSLR, thus the big one...

migtex
06-24-2007, 03:28
My wife says "too many"
I say that theres a place for another 2.... at least
total so far..7!

markinlondon
06-24-2007, 04:03
A Billingham Hadley, which goes everywhere as my "manbag".
A Billingham f5.6
An Oyster outfit case from the 80's
A Billingham Beta 6 SLR pouch (not sure why I have this)
A Crumpler Daily 490 ( a good weekend bag for laptop and cameras)
A Crumpler Ben's Pizza L (not sure why I have this either as it has no decent film storage).

Time for a sale, methinks.

Spyderman
06-24-2007, 04:28
Lowepro Lumina mini for Bessa + 2 extra lenses + XA

Lowepro Lumina 2 for OM 4Ti + 4 extra lenses.

another large but not so convenient bag...

mervynyan
06-24-2007, 04:37
in the order of importance,

a Manfrotto tripod bag, (yes, my tripod has it is own bag)-:)

a National Geographic medium backpack, (exclusively for my Mamiya 7II and Leica, too conspicuous)-:)

a Lowpro AW4, (the rest of my SLR gears and other crap)-:(

nikon_sam
06-24-2007, 11:23
I voted a while ago but never explained what's in the closet...
Official Camera Bags...4...all Tamracs...2 of them are just for the Zone VI 4x5 kit. One is a very small and clips around your waist and the last one just has gear I don't use...along with the bag the stuff is in...It's a big bag and isn't comfy to carry...
Now the real question is..."How many Non-Camera Bags have you tried to convert to a Camera Bag???"...Answer...Too many to remember...
I have two Army Surplus bags that have been converted successfully...the second one is still in "Testing" but looks like it will work...

sepiareverb
07-19-2007, 16:43
Well I just got the Leica Combination bag by Billingham. Smaller than I was expecting, but seems rather a nice size for a small kit. Working out of the small Domke was a little harder than I liked on this last trip, will give this a try- smaller kit may be the better answer.

kalokeri
08-30-2007, 10:30
I hope you will like the Leica by Billingham. Itīs a very fine little bag.

As long as you take one body and two lenses with you - accompanied by some film and a meter, maybe - itīs okay. Magus convinced me that the bag can be filled with two bodies and three lenses - it works but to me itīs not okay anymore. Itīs too heavy and itīs too difficult to get the things out of the bag.

Thomas

sepiareverb
08-30-2007, 12:58
I'm actually back to the small Domke satchel for a small kit. Ran the thing through the washing machine and it is much more supple. I find the shape of the Billingham/Leica bag a bit too square for my taste. It shall go in the classifieds soon I think.

foto_fool
08-30-2007, 13:50
Very old Tamrac something or other
Billingham for Leica - looks like the L2
Naneru Pro Sierra

Most of the time I carry a body and lens with me in my "briefcase" - a Timbuk2.

- John

Steve Bellayr
08-30-2007, 15:11
I too have an old tamrac. recently I picked up a used Wilson House of Leather computer bag for $5. Still working on a way to fit the cameras in there properly. I can buy pouches for the lenses. I found an unused baby changing pad for $1.00. I folded it to fit two rangefinders. Ther are a number of pockets for film and etc. All leather not bad for $6.40.

Steve Bellayr
08-30-2007, 15:14
Here's another suggestion...I shouldn't say this as this is a rangefinder forum but. ... I found some old video camera bags for $2.00 that fit a TLR or Hassy very well. And, they have extra pockets for film.

pesphoto
08-30-2007, 18:14
I ahave one Bag, but it sits in my closet. I dont carry one when out shooting. It's one camera, one lens for me. And some film stuffed in my pocket.

Steve Bellayr
08-30-2007, 18:39
Again, for $2.00 to store a Rolleiflex or Hassy in the closet or where ever I don't feel is a bad waste of $2.00. I even picked up a small Lowepro for $5.00 which is very useful for when I keep a camera on the front seat of my car. I would rather have the camera in a cushioned bag for the short stops when it hits the floorboads. An old digital cam bag in the front seat works well, too. A piece of foam out of a sewing store works for two cameras. I think we are discussing inexpensive protection for when we carry equipment. I've tried it without a bag but they seem to end up hitting the ground when not it use or at the end of the day when drinking coffee at the local pub.

Bavaricus
08-31-2007, 02:47
One for RF
One for SLR

All LowePro

erikhaugsby
09-02-2007, 11:45
One actual bag (a Domke 803) and two Pelicans for long-period storage (one for my Canon 20D and one for my Leica).

peterm1
09-02-2007, 14:39
I have stuck to Billingham bags because they are robust and stylish. Their appearacne - all khaki and tan leather , also suits the Leica IMHO. I now have several of these, a larger pro version of the bag which I bought years ago second hand for a good price (cant recall the number of the bag however but its either the 445 or 555)) the Handley pro which I bought in London when there about 10 years back, about three of the "end pockets" - nice for storing my "best" cameras as well as carrying them around attached to the big bag and a small (I think its called) airline bag - a pretty little "man bag" style of thing which is about the size of the end pockets - big enough for one Leica body and lens and not much else. My goodness I had not realised just how much I have spent on these damn things. Of these I probably use the Hadley most as its a good size for a day out. The big one is great if shooting SLR with a stack of lenses or if I am going away for long trip and want to carry a bunch of stuff with me. They are water proof but I could not say they are especially well padded so do not handle them roughly or your cmaera may pay the price.

This place has a good range with photos to look at if you are not familiar with the range: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/photo/bags/billingham.html#airline

ruben
09-16-2007, 17:32
Good question. Do I have more cameras or camera bags ? Never satisfiyed.

Cheers,
Ruben

kjoebek
09-17-2007, 05:32
My two favorite bags are Billingham 445 that I use for travling, and a Domke J3 that I use for my street kit. I also got some more Billingham bags, Cumpler, a old Tenba as I somtimes use for my Leicas, Mamiya, Kata backpack etc. I see my self as photobag GAS-man, and I am always ready to buy a new one.

David Goldfarb
11-01-2007, 20:37
I have lots of bags--at least 15. I don't consider myself a collector of photographic equipment particularly, but I do have something of an irrational fondness for old leather Perrin bags. These are what Billingham and Fogg aspire to be--well, the more modern bags have more practical dividers than the old Perrin bags, but you can't beat the styling or all leather craftsmanship. Today not many people know what they are, so you can find them quite cheaply on eBay. 35mm rangefinder shooters should particularly admire the Perrin leather lens cases and pouches.

cmogi10
12-19-2007, 21:23
I just added a third, I picked up a Naneu Pro 120 backpack for travelling, we'll see how it works out this weekend when I fly back to my parents house.

cosmonot
01-10-2008, 22:53
I voted 2-3, but I'm also very close to teaching myself how to sew inserts for any number of messenger/military surplus bags that are floating around my house. Will those count? First up are some canvas bags that were sold as "UK Haversacks" at I.Goldberg in Philly for $5 each. A couple trips through the washing machine and they're truly ugly. Just right for walking around with cameras that are actually worth stealing. Domke, Billingham, etc. are all just too pretty for me ;)

cmogi10
02-09-2008, 09:50
I'm up to 4!
Adding the Artisian and Artist bag the other week, it's a nice bag.

amateriat
02-15-2008, 22:15
I marked myself down for "one" (my old-reliable Domke 803), but I forgot about the ancient-but-dandy Tenba that I mostly use for storage of extras like flash units, extension tubes for my lone SLR (Olymous OM-2n), handheld meter, tripod column extension, et cetera. I had a few other bags, but sold them off on account of under-use. One big reason for having Just One Bag is that, since the 803 carries my entire Main Axe system (two Hexar RFs, three lenses, up to two flash units and the requisite quantity of film and other necessaries), I tend to keep everything stored in the bag full-time, always ready-to-go. Suitable for storage, ready for action. Why fool around with other bags?

Nevertheless, while in Mnahattan for a tech gig yesterday (Friday), I stopped into Foto Care to pick up some slide film for a small project for someone who needs slides (wanted Fuji Previa, but wound up with Velvis 50...rather overqualified for the work at hand, IMO), and took a look at the smaller Crumpler bags for a lark. One of them looks pretty good, even though I'm not especially fond of Crumpler (perhaps it's the über-hip marketing that rubs me the wrong way). I might want to take a second look at it for solo-camera-and-second-lens duty. It's noticeably smaller than the 803, so it might work.

- Barrett

MikeCassidy
04-10-2008, 15:44
I use a bicycle messenger bag when I need one. It was free. Its for when I walk and want to have many rolls of film and several lenses and bodies with me.

Spyderman
04-12-2008, 15:49
Just bought a Fomei bag, which is a Czech rebranded Winer bag, which is a Chinese copy of Lowepro Stealt Reporter 200AW. Price = 40% of what the original costs here.

This will be primarily for my SLR kit (2 bodies, 4+ lenses & accs), but it's VERY practical and flexible.

Must try how many RF's and lenses I can stuff in that bag... :D

Steve Bellayr
05-11-2008, 14:48
I am experimenting with old computer bags which roughly match the Domke's dimensions. I have just ordered a Domke insert. I find them discarded and for nominal prices at the local thrifts. The nice thing about them is that they have a zippered top which prevents roving hands (see a previous thread). They also have many pockets, are padded and rarely go above $10.

ewoq
05-21-2008, 02:18
a black domke 5xb
- bessa r2m w. heliar classic 50mm
- film
- money, keys

need nothing else

__hh
05-21-2008, 02:33
I've got more camera bags than my wife has in shoes!!!