PDA

View Full Version : Film or digital

kshapero
04-23-2007, 19:19
What is the percentage of the photos you take are film vs digital?

triplefinger
04-23-2007, 19:40
90% digital

back alley
04-23-2007, 19:41
digital rf only?

kshapero
04-23-2007, 20:01
digital rf only?

Poll is for all kinds of cameras.

triplefinger
04-23-2007, 20:03
I would say R-D1 85%, *istD 5%, 10% film

Bryce
04-23-2007, 20:44
70% B+W film, 5% color film, 25% digital.
Digital is usually for web purposes...

mfunnell
04-23-2007, 22:21
Much of my "people" photography and almost all of my "just walking around" photography is with film (and mostly RF). Almost all of my wildlife and sport photography is with dSLR. Most of my "boringly functional" photography (product assembly and disassembly, photos of whiteboard notes etc.) is with a pocket digicam. Most of my landscape stuff (not that there's much of it) is with either film or digital SLR.

I guess I just grab the tool that's most convenient or most suitable for the task (depending on which seems more important at the time). I said 50:50 as that seems about right.

...Mike

pvdhaar
04-23-2007, 22:26
I voted 100% digital.. A couple of months ago, I decided to forgo film entirely, and switch to the dSLR.

But something odd happened the other day. I dug up the Bessa-T from the attic and shot a roll of B&W just for sentimental reasons. And guess what? I really enjoyed the experience. So, although the ratio is still almost 100% digital, it's not entirely 100%, and probably will come down to 75% again..

DavidH
04-24-2007, 00:06
50/50 was a guess...but shouldnt be too far off...for personal use I shoot film all the time, for work I use digital whenever I need long lens, macro, difficult lighting, or fast turnaround...

Shoot film on a G2, ETRSi, F3, FE2 and the superb p&s - Contax T3

iml
04-24-2007, 00:30
Colour is digital, so about 5% probably. The rest is film.

Ian

maddoc
04-24-2007, 01:18
... since two month 99% film with RF cameras and 1% boring stuff at the lab with a P&S (mostly macro photos for documentation). I sold all my digital cameras now (Nikon D1x and Epson R-D1s) and want to stay with film only for a while (BW and color slide).

Gabor

jaapv
04-24-2007, 02:50
Half a year ago it was 50/50. Now, in the M8 era, 99/1 for digital....:o

kshapero
04-24-2007, 03:12
I am obbsesive, so I will shoot film 100% for awhile (Bessa R3M0 then I become focused on my Pany L1 100%. So I will go with 50-50.

Muller
04-24-2007, 03:47
Overall I'd have to say 50/50. More recently it's 75% digital/25%film.

kully
04-24-2007, 05:00
It depends on shots taken or time spent holding camera.

If it's the first then 50/50, if not - 75/25 to film.

georgefspencer
04-24-2007, 05:03
I voted 100% digital.. A couple of months ago, I decided to forgo film entirely, and switch to the dSLR.

But something odd happened the other day. I dug up the Bessa-T from the attic and shot a roll of B&W just for sentimental reasons. And guess what? I really enjoyed the experience. So, although the ratio is still almost 100% digital, it's not entirely 100%, and probably will come down to 75% again..

I know what you mean. A few years ago I shot 100% digital. A few months ago I dug out my Leica M6TTL and really enjoyed it again. Now I'm trying to shoot B&W film and color digital.

c.poulton
04-24-2007, 05:21
I have no option but to shoot 100% film as all my cameras are film - not a digital camera in sight :)

nemjo
04-24-2007, 05:49
101 % digital.

90% RD1
9% Nikon dSlr
1% RF BW film

But then immediately scan so that's 101%

nemjo

kshapero
04-24-2007, 06:01
101 % digital.

90% RD1
9% Nikon dSlr
1% RF BW film

But then immediately scan so that's 101%

nemjo

fuzzy math:D

ibcrewin
04-24-2007, 06:12
I was 100% digital, now I am about 80% film 20% digital.

Al Patterson
04-24-2007, 06:17
I'm at about 60/40 now, shooting more film than digital, although I expect that to move increasingly towards digital going forward.

So I said 50/50.

Rhoyle
04-24-2007, 11:15
I only use the digital p/s for family stuff-birthday parties and the like. The rest is pretty evenly split between bw film, chrome, and C41.

Uwe_Nds
04-24-2007, 11:22
I take more shots with the little Canon P&S digital, but I keep alot more of my RF645 film shots.

Similar to shutterflower.
I bought a Pentax *istDL2 "for the wife":angel:, but I prefer film - and get more keepers with it.

Best regards,
Uwe

mtbbrian
04-24-2007, 12:10
Film RULES!!
:p :rolleyes: ;) :D

Solinar
04-24-2007, 12:19
My preference is for B/W. The Didge gets used for color. My guess is that I'm presently shooting a 70/30 ratio of film versus digital. That's for personal use. At work, my work flow is 90 percent digital.

back alley
04-24-2007, 12:40
i use digital to shoot my film cameras mostly.
love those product shots ;)

but now with the grd i am starting to take digital a bit more seriously.
still learning how to use the grd.

JonasYip
04-24-2007, 12:43
I voted 75/25 Digital over Film, but really it's more like 98% digital, 2% film. Mostly I have a lot of film cameras that I like, so there's always one with some film in it that I'll occasionally fire off just for the joy of using the camera. Or sometimes because I want to use B+W film.

j

robert blu
04-24-2007, 13:07
100 % film : I do not feel ready for such a jump !
robert
just bought a new scanner...

kshapero
04-24-2007, 13:59
i use digital to shoot my film cameras mostly.
love those product shots ;)

but now with the grd i am starting to take digital a bit more seriously.
still learning how to use the grd.

is GRD the Ricoh?

sepiareverb
04-24-2007, 14:16
If I didn't sell stuff that needed photos online I'd never use a digital point & wait to shoot. I use film for everything else.

350D_user
04-24-2007, 14:25
Hmm... I'm not sure. It could be 50/50, or it could be 25(film)/75(digital).

Roma
04-25-2007, 10:49
Digital 100% for selling stuff on eBay.
Film 100% for everything else.

cfoto
04-25-2007, 10:58
75 - 80% Digital. 20 - 25% film.

Digital for work. Requires fast turnaround and upload to news server. Papers are all going digital these days.

Film for hobby and simply to keep my hands on shooting film.

bensyverson
04-25-2007, 11:38
50/50. I love both for different reasons, and often use them together. For anything that requires tweaking (like lighting with flash), I'll get everything worked out using the DSLR, and then pull out the 6x7 or 4x5. A DSLR is a killer light meter.

The DSLR is also great for social/party shots and concert photography. Plus, the film version of your DSLR usually costs less than a battery for your digital. I picked up a featherweight EOS Rebel Ti recently for $20. It's nice to shoot full-frame without having to pay for (or lug around) a 5D. :) Loaded with neg film, the Rebel Ti is also a one-shot HDR camera by digital standards. I went to Vegas recently and didn't even bother taking a digital camera -- only neg film can handle the signs without blowing out.

I love my Mamiya 7, but I love the luscious 6x7 negatives and transparencies even more. There's no portable digital camera that can come close. It's a monster.

For portraits and other more carefully-composed shots, you can't beat 4x5. I think of my Super Graphic as a $300, 100 megapixel camera. Or in other words, Super Graphic: US$3.00/MP. Rebel XTi: US$68.00/MP. Leica M8: US$465.53/MP...

Ha :)

Nachkebia
04-30-2007, 07:34
Gosh whata bloody (word of the day for me) stupid question (kidding)! FILM!!!

NickTrop
04-30-2007, 07:46
Film 4-ever. 100% except product shots.

GeneW
04-30-2007, 08:29
For the sheer convenience of it, I shoot about 75% digital, about 75% of that with an ultracompact digi and the other 25% with a DSLR. I use film mainly for B&W and on the film side shoot about 40% with RF, 40% with SLR, and 20% with medium format.

Gene

jky
04-30-2007, 16:36
80% FILM from last summer to Christmas.... then the sweet wife bought me a Coolscan V and it's been 100% Film since.

dennisinst.louis
04-30-2007, 17:03
I shoot both depending on the mood.

John Bragg
05-05-2007, 00:42
No intention of going digital... 100% satisfied with my Leica M6 and Tri-X or Neopan. I love the traditional darkroom process from start to finish and nothing will change that.

jaap
05-05-2007, 01:10
let's ignore the digital propaganda !

Ossifan
05-05-2007, 02:05
No intention of going digital... 100% satisfied with my Leica M6 and Tri-X or Neopan. I love the traditional darkroom process from start to finish and nothing will change that.

PERFECT! Exactly as I feel.

Stephanie Brim
05-10-2007, 11:52
Tri-X is my favorite film. Regardless of trying new things, I always come back to using it. I tried out digital cameras before and just don't like it. I prefer getting my hands dirty.

rogue_designer
05-10-2007, 12:01
Mostly film, in large, medium and small formats. Some work is digital out of necessity, and if I could justify one of the bigger digital backs for the studio (which I'll have to if I want to keep doing product work) that percentage would increase.

For now, I'd say for pro work 85% film, and 15% digital.

For my personal work, 100% film.

kshapero
05-10-2007, 13:50
I am going back to 95% film. My Panasonic DMC-L1 and Leica lens is for sale. One month old with box, manuals, extra battery and 4 gig SCHC SD card.

Chyn
05-10-2007, 15:21
Prior to March, it was 95% digital with my *istDS and 5% film.

Then came the Rolleiflex and scanner, and film usage shot up to 25% and continues to climb.

al1966
05-10-2007, 23:37
I shoot mostly digital but then for a long time I had the gear to do both but had no money to do film and given that I also will have to use film at uni and I am working I can see there being a raise in the film shot.

alan davus
05-11-2007, 00:10
What's digital?????

robertofollia
05-11-2007, 02:56
Just to say Hi after having registered.
Shoot mostly film, nearly 90%. But when I'm unsure of the photo's worthness I shoot digital. Always take my film camera with me (and sometimes the digital as a backup)

alcaraban
05-11-2007, 04:15
100% film, both c41 and e6. Developing my own B/W film since last weekend :) :)

Bill58
05-11-2007, 05:19
I shoot about 85% film, 15% digital. Film is 75% B&W. Digital is 100% color w/ an old (4yrs. old!) fuji 2800 zoom that just chugs along w/ one trip to the repair shop. It actually gives me pretty good results--but not w/ low light.

I guess I just luv the "clunk" of the shutter release and reliability of film cameras.

I won't change to 100% digital till I stop reading about the high failure rates of the overpriced, plastic stuff on the market currently.

sigma4ever
05-11-2007, 22:10
I don't own a digital camera, so it's all film for this guy!!!!!!!!.......film rules........Down with Digital!!!!!!!!

Pistach
05-29-2007, 08:01
Roberto,
I have a Contax S2 too. It has been bad mouthed a lot, but I like it and I think they are wrong.
Ahem it is not so much RF.
Welcome

rich815
05-29-2007, 08:24
95% film, digital for family snaps and eBay auctions.

css9450
05-29-2007, 08:28
Digital 100% for selling stuff on eBay.
Film 100% for everything else.

I'm with you. If I need to get a quickie snapshot on the web, I use a digital P&S. For "real" pictures, its 100% film.

landsknechte
06-05-2007, 23:40
Darling, I swing every way...

Apart from dabblings with toy cameras, I'm about 95% digital for color. When I set out to shoot black and white, it's about 90% film. Most of the digital black and white I shoot starts out as a color photograph.

lasamo
06-06-2007, 01:52
I am trying to shoot with film 75% and digital 25%.

migtex
06-13-2007, 02:26
30% film RF +20% film SLR + 15%Digital P&S + 35% Digital DSLR..
it's good to have options,
it's good to take new roads,
it's good to have fun...

NickTrop
06-13-2007, 17:16
Someone said it best earlier on another thread...

"Digital = Instant Coffee."

Perfect analogy...

End of discussion and debate.

Digital is instant coffee

Aperture
06-13-2007, 17:44
I'm with NickTrop...

"Film = Caramel Macchiato"

NickTrop
06-13-2007, 18:18
Film - black and white shooters who develop and print in particular, are folks who like to roast the beans themselves, grind them, don't mind the extra work, labor of love. Appreciate the subtle differences between the various types of "beans" (film/developer combinations...)

Digital are people who WANT IT NOW! RIGHT NOW! Boil water, throw in a teaspoon of instant, quick stir, kill the taste with sweeteners and half and half, and try to convince themselves (and others) that it tastes the same as the real stuff. And it's sooooo easy, who wants to do all that work? Who wants to get their hands dirty, do all that cleaning up?

They turn their noses up at a fine cup of Expresso with a twist - ewwww! Bitter, like digital shooters say about "grain"...

Digital is a loaf of Wonderbread... characterless, tasteless, bland but easy. It's instant coffee, it's a Betty Crocker cake from a mix. Quick and easy and as satisfying as all things "quick and easy".

kshapero
06-13-2007, 21:01
Film - black and white shooters who develop and print in particular, are folks who like to roast the beans themselves, grind them, don't mind the extra work, labor of love. Appreciate the subtle differences between the various types of "beans" (film/developer combinations...)

Digital are people who WANT IT NOW! RIGHT NOW! Boil water, throw in a teaspoon of instant, quick stir, kill the taste with sweeteners and half and half, and try to convince themselves (and others) that it tastes the same as the real stuff. And it's sooooo easy, who wants to do all that work? Who wants to get their hands dirty, do all that cleaning up?

They turn their noses up at a fine cup of Expresso with a twist - ewwww! Bitter, like digital shooters say about "grain"...

Digital is a loaf of Wonderbread... characterless, tasteless, bland but easy. It's instant coffee, it's a Betty Crocker cake from a mix. Quick and easy and as satisfying as all things "quick and easy".
damn, Nick, I wish your words were untrue but they are not. pass me another fresh brewed java.

maddoc
06-13-2007, 21:07

... hit the nail on the head. Best summing-up I have read so far.

Sisyphus
06-13-2007, 21:24
All film, black and white and color!

Henryzx
06-27-2007, 11:53
35mm will come back once the mass market consumers have learned how to take pictures with their $35 digital cameras...you see that people started to listen to talk RADIO again, wearing mechanical watches.....eventually running their car with water lol.....so......everything will come back to the feasible basic .... 35mm film ind. will come back stronger than they've ever been before.....a wishful thinking ... or not ... I'm keeping my/shooting 35mm cameras and lensese ... 95% film/ 5% digital:)

TheHub
07-03-2007, 15:20
I shoot 100% film now. I only use digital for auctions (which I'm not doing right now, so that would be 0%.)

I did film, then digital, now I'm back to film. I've never had this much fun before. There are so many great films to try and film bodies are cheap as dirt. With the $800+ I got from selling my horrible D1x, I was able to pay for 8 film cameras :)

Dr. Strangelove
07-11-2007, 05:23
I voted 25% digital / 75% film, but in reality it is about 90% film and 10% digital. I only have a Nikon P&S digital and I use it primarily for web or if I have to share a picture quickly on the net.

I have no DSLR or Leica M8 so all my 'serious' shooting is with film, either with Kiev 4 that actually works down to the selenium light meter* or SLRs. Also shoot quite a lot with fixed lens rangefinders, MF folders and film P&S with fast (f/2.8) prime lenses -- a class of cameras I find seriously underappreciated. The best P&S I have are Konica Big mini F and Yashica T3 Super. The former is seriously undervalued. It has a better lense and features than the much vaunted Olympus Stylus Epic / II. It also has better features than the T3 Super, although the Yashica has a slightly better lens thanks to Zeiss T* coating.

* The thing is accurate enough to shoot slides! However, I mostly use a separate light meter since the Kiev 4 meter only goes down to EV 8 or thereabouts.

PaulEv
07-11-2007, 14:39
I use 80-90% film, with a little digital. My main picture taking, is either LF or rangefinders, B&W and chromes, and the stuff I used to use on C-41 with a P&S (pictures of the kids, and snapshots at family events etc.) I use digital.

I like the reward of using film, but sometimes want the instant coffee I previously used a P&S for these pictures, but now use a DSLR which I bought to explore digital a little more when my 1st P&S died, but still prefer the rangefinders for most of my work. May be this will change, but the contemplative side of taking a picture, is important to me, and somehow even if I go thorugh the same workflow in taking the picture, digital reduces this aspect of the process for me.

rxmd
07-12-2007, 04:35

Oh, I don't like that. I'm a film photographer myself, but I think this kind of polemics is just too condescending and simple.

In a similar vein, a digital photographer might say a lot of very condescending things about film that are probably even true when applied to some film photographers. Polemics work both ways - just an exercise in thinking about photography, not directed at anyone in particular, let's try it out:

"Digital is for those for whom a camera is an instrument to an artistic end, the artistic merits of which outweigh the lodestone of tradition that artistic communities tend to place around the neck of the artists. Digital is for those for whom a timekeeper is an instrument for keeping time (and not to enjoy the ticking of), a brush is an instrument for producing paintings (not for wasting their time discussing the relative merits of otter vs. horse hair), and a pen is an instrument for producing text (not producing script script). Digital is for those who think that a work should live on its own merits, not on the merits of the elitism and outdatedness of its means of production. And digital is for those who buy and use devices for the sake of the results that they produce with them, instead of fondling them and pretending to care for the results these devices might be capable of in the hand of a master.

Film is for those who think that the labour of love is all about the labour, to whom an achievement is not an achievement unless it has been achieved through blood, sweat and tears and who forget over all the blood, sweat and tears that it's the achievement that counts. Film is for those who think a steam engine is a quaint thing of the past which is vaguely more in touch with nature's inner being, and not a milestone of progress and an amazing technology which results in revolutionarily productive and creative exchanges of people, goods and ideas. Film photography is for those who, in the face of their own mediocrity and the realisation that their work has little speaking for it, try to excel in the quaintness of their processes and then call it "authenticity". Film is for those who think that expression is sufficient and should be possible only in the ways of the Grand Old Masters, just like the vast majority of 19th century painters produced excellently executed, but bland paintings in the styles developed in their academies for centuries, while only a small minority had the greatness of mind to embrace the new modes of artistic expression that rapidly became possible through technological innovation and the release of the creative minds from the shackles of the past, and just like a judge in Riyadh will assert that all the tools that the human mind needs to form a judgement have been developed to perfection eight hundred years ago, while everything new is an innovation that distorts the essence of the immortal principles of truth and beauty.

They turn their noses at a photographer who looks at a display on the back of their camera, as if this simple act already told everything about the person: "Bah, behold his inability for creativity, his lack of empathy, his mindless subscription to the progress meme." Film shooters pretend to be deep, artistic and understanding, but if you want to see their true face, start a discussion about digital photography with them, and you will have the revealing experience of your life."

Philipp :angel:

iml
07-12-2007, 04:48
Well said. Format evangelism is mis-placed.

Ian

BBonte
07-19-2007, 12:53
Shooting 60% digital with Canon G7 since march 2007; 40% film, but it might change again towards film. With these small digital cameras you got no control on depth of field. Back from Italy with 300+ digital pictures, but what a hell to process all those files and transfer them to the lab (computer crash...). Prefer the pictures with my OM 2n. Digital is good for birthday parties... for serious landscape pictures still love my Bronica EC with BW and slide film.

mfogiel
08-18-2007, 06:07
I have no prejudices, for me it is a matter of what is the best tool for the job, but since I do photography as an amateur, I do not care too much about the time I am going to spend on scanning, etc ( this plus the preference to waste my time on scanning rather than on heavy post processing of files).

I have tried several digital cameras , and to start with the only type which passes the quality test in terms of colour fidelity/dynamic range/ noise performance is the Fuji S3/S5.

The other digital sensors, to me, demand too much post processing just to give you a decent shot without being a computer addict.

So, here is the division of labour:

- all non quality grade shots, like events, birthdays, "pro memoria" snaps, etc are done with digital
- all the colour portrait work, which does not require specialized lenses (C Sonnar, Nokton 35) is done with digital
- all the colour close up / telephoto work is done with digital
- all the colour work that does not need high reolution and/or portability is done with digital

To sum up, today my digital shots are about 5% of what I do.

- all the B&W work, irrespective of format and type is done with film

- all the high resolution work B&W and colour (landscape, architecture, texture shots) is done with film (MF)

- all the on the fly quality work that needs portability, fast reaction, low light capability is done with film

These days I shoot B&W 80% of the time.

If a full frame sensor RF comes up, with a 16 bit processing, no AA filter and no Bayer pattern, etc, it will probably blow away completely everything below 4x5" and I will adjust - I believe that we might see one in B&W first, who knows...

wintoid
08-18-2007, 13:06
% taken digi:film 50:50
% kept digi:film 10:90

I tend to experiment more with digi. It's how I learn. With film, I tend to be more careful as I'm going to be experimenting in the darkroom anyway (after x years I still don't have a standard film/dev)

iridium7777
08-21-2007, 14:23
since i got my m6 about a month and a half ago i took maybe quick 30 shots of a bee flying around a flower with my dslr... knowingly i'd only pick around 5 to keep.

shot around 12 rolls of film in the mean time though and don't plan on doing much digital besides the bee shot.

rich815
08-21-2007, 14:55
since i got my m6 about a month and a half ago i took maybe quick 30 shots of a bee flying around a flower with my dslr... knowingly i'd only pick around 5 to keep.

shot around 12 rolls of film in the mean time though and don't plan on doing much digital besides the bee shot.

A bee! :rolleyes: ;)

Was it like any of these?

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Bee&m=tags&ct=0

(now I expect you to look through all 90,954 of those images before you answer!)

rich815
08-21-2007, 14:57
Oops. It's up to 90,955 now. Better get started!

literiter
08-22-2007, 08:02
I shoot mostly film, either MF or 35mm, haven't graduated to 4x5 as of yet.

The Wife and I also have a little digicam which we share between us mainly as a recording tool.

This little digicam, a Coolpix 995, is a frustrating little brute but we have it likely because part of us wants to join the herd I suppose. I resent having to reach for the now very tattered operators manual everytime I want to take a picture. I resent not being able to easily bypass the automatic controls. I expressed my frustration to a friend of mine, a pro wedding photographer, and he tells me his Nikon D200 is worse and he generally sets it to full auto. For his good stuff he uses film in his MF.

At this point in time I use film in completely manual cameras.

iridium7777
08-22-2007, 09:41
pretty close to the first 6 pictures and then 8, 9 ;)

didn't make it through the other 90,946 ;)

actually if this thread is still going in a day, i'll put my pictures online.

there are some old bee shots under the life section of my website. it's blocked from work for some reason though, classified as "sex" :confused: so i can't directly link.

A bee! :rolleyes: ;)

Was it like any of these?

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Bee&m=tags&ct=0

(now I expect you to look through all 90,954 of those images before you answer!)

iridium7777
08-22-2007, 09:50
you post sarcasm like that on nikonians and it won't be too favorable :D. kinda funny, and probably has no place in this thread, but it made me think of different "stereotype" photography that's associated with an rf and dslr system.

but then again, to be honest, it seems some people on here load up b&w and shoot a roll of absolute crap of someone talking on the cell phone that they've snapped while they were walking by and display it like it's the greatest art ever or an epitome of street shooting. in those cases, i'd much rather scroll through the endless macro shots of bees and flowers. i guess everything has it's own place.

Oops. It's up to 90,955 now. Better get started!

narsuitus
08-22-2007, 10:00
Every time I think I am going to shoot more digital, my digital camera breaks (I am on my fourth digital camera) and I am forced to rely on my film camera.

Sylvaticus
10-31-2007, 17:26
My first experience of digital photography was the Canon Powershot G5, felt and looked like a 1950s rangefinder camera (except it was autofocus of course and the lens was zoom, but the viewfinder was optical see-through and the lens was f:2). Despite its modest pixel count the pictures were much less noisy than film scans from my elderly Canon film scanner. I still take a few films each year for old times sake, but I do mostly digital nowadays.

trev2401
10-31-2007, 17:51
Film for me, anytime!!!

My cousin had his wedding shot digitally 6 years back (with a D30 or some DCS frankenstein F5 i think) thinking that the pictures would be more 'vibrant' than the alternative then (kodak gold.) Now he's having major issues getting prints done beyond 11x17 even with interpol. software..

meanwhile, i just scanned and printed for my dad a 4x5 neg of my great grandparent's wedding, taken just after WW1. It's amazing how much detail a 4x5 neg can capture... =)

:eek:

gb hill
11-18-2007, 10:37
I shoot 100% film, eventhough I have nothing against digital. I just can't seem to keep up with all the modes on a digital camera.:) Besides I have too much $$ tied up in film cameras to change.

gregg
12-24-2007, 06:18
Professionally I shoot 75% dSLR - 25% film with RF. This tends to be my "keep rate" anyway.

Personal projects - 100% film with RF. This would change to 100% digital if I had an M8. J'ai raison...

Snapshots and carry-around - ~100% digital P&S (sometimes the IIIc goes along though...)

Senecabud
12-24-2007, 20:09
I had to vote 75% film because there was no 98%, and 100% isn't quite the whole truth. I do use a digicam now and then, but 98% of the time it's film in various formats.

Steve Williams
01-24-2008, 04:24
Professionally I am 100 percent digital. It makes sense in terms of time, expense, process, and it's what the art director wants and expects from me.

I shoot black and white exclusively and process and print in a cozy darkroom in my basement for all my personal creative work. I can print up to 20x24 silver prints and so far haven't been interested in any departure from gelatin silver prints.

For my Scooter in the Sticks blog I have been shooting almost entirely digital images though now and again I would take along a film camera-- an M6, Mamiya 7, or Hasselblad --- to shoot landscapes and things I see while riding.

vrgard
02-03-2008, 13:57
Good for you, Kim. We, too, have our wedding photo from 22 years ago hanging on the wall at home along with other family photos.

-Randy

d_ross
02-03-2008, 14:49
There is so much discussion here about Digital verses film, usually it's based around mechanics and workflow etc. But I thik the great difference is in the mindset of the photographer.

An advertising agency owner I know once said he likes to commission film photographers because when shooting digital people will get to a point they know they have a shot and stop, while a film shooter will get to a point they think they have a shot, then to be sure will go that little bit further to be sure!

Steve Williams
02-03-2008, 16:28
There is so much discussion here about Digital verses film, usually it's based around mechanics and workflow etc. But I thik the great difference is in the mindset of the photographer.

An advertising agency owner I know once said he likes to commission film photographers because when shooting digital people will get to a point they know they have a shot and stop, while a film shooter will get to a point they think they have a shot, then to be sure will go that little bit further to be sure!

I never thought about it that way before but there may be some truth to it. When I shoot assignments I will often tether the digital camera to my laptop so that the designer or art director can see what I'm doing. More often than not when we have the picture we're done save for a couple safety shots. It's more like shooting a movie scene.

d_ross
02-03-2008, 16:53
I guees in that case Steve the art director couldnt really commplain about much:) I wonder too, do you think you would give him better work if he wasnt there tethered to you ?

bmattock
02-03-2008, 17:23
I like photography. I try to choose the tool most suited for the photograph I want to take, but sometimes I use whatever I have available at the time. Sometimes I go to extra lengths to use a particular camera, lens, or film that I want to experiment with.

I will not state a preference. I just like photography. That should be good enough.

Steve Williams
02-04-2008, 17:52
I guees in that case Steve the art director couldnt really commplain about much:) I wonder too, do you think you would give him better work if he wasnt there tethered to you ?

In big shoots the final results for me are always better with an art director on site. Even my assistant monitors the images as they load on the laptop looking for problems. It was a different challenge when I shot film.

I had a big break in my career. I hung up the camera professionally in 1992 to become a film maker. Then last summer I picked up the camera again. I've had to address the who digital workflow from scratch since I mainly continued to shoot film for personal projects.

I am having a great time though.:)

BillBingham2
02-04-2008, 19:41
Too bad the Polling software would not allow us to compare how many people have had to replace digital cameras because it was not cost effective to repair them vs film? I know I've given away five digital cameras because they stopped working well. I'm keeping the 6th and working with it anyway because I love it so much. Never had to do that to a film camera. It should also be said that I have never had any auto anything cameras.

B2 (;->

dannynono
02-05-2008, 21:22
I'm working my way back into film, ~30% right now, but my goal is to pickup a decent scanner and do my own b/w processing - color will still be outsourced. hopefully, that should help lessen my long-term costs with shooting film.

MF is still a big draw for me and if it's being used, the 35 RF comes along for the ride.

as for the dslr replacement - I've had the 20D for 3 years now...not worth nearly what i paid for it used, but it still works. knock on wood.

paragon
02-07-2008, 11:52
Maybe the question should be:

What camera will you NEXT buy to use, (rather than collect) - even for members of an RF forum

a film or a digital

for me, digital as a user, film as an object to keep, take care of, read about, be interested in and use occasionally

I would love another Nikon RF, (an SP), - to keep, hold, look at, etc., and use now and then. If someone walked up to me with a mint boxed set, at a price I knew to be reasonable, I would buy it, I would not be able to resist the temption. I would never turn down a Leica or Nikon F if I felt it was a bargain

But, what do I grab each day - a digital P&S

What do I take with me when I know I want to take photos - a digital DSLR and , (less and less), my M6 and M3 ----- what get used the most, my Pentax DSLR

With film, (generally, before you all jump on me) - I think age now plays apart - we all look back at the stuff that we could not afford and really wanted - the Nikon stuff, Pentax and Canon. We can now buy it on Ebay for less than the cost of a good meal and Nikon lenses cost less than we pay to get our haircut. WOW, what do we do when we see a "bargain" - probably have "two of each"

Digital is an unstoppable force, and photography is a creative art now enhanced by the computer which most of us are into. The digital camera is just a logical and very good part of life today.

just my views

MCTuomey
02-07-2008, 12:03
i shoot sports (mostly futbol) as an amateur, and a bit of hired work here and there - all digi. that's where my volume is. but for myself, i usually prefer film and plan to supplement my 35mm RF with a 4x5 rig when i have the means or can sell off some of the dSLR gear.

film by its nature isn't a volume question, imho.

rich815
02-07-2008, 12:04
Maybe the question should be:

What camera will you NEXT buy to use, (rather than collect) - even for members of an RF forum

a film or a digital

for me, digital as a user, film as an object to keep, take care of, read about, be interested in and use occasionally

I would love another Nikon RF, (an SP), - to keep, hold, look at, etc., and use now and then. If someone walked up to me with a mint boxed set, at a price I knew to be reasonable, I would buy it, I would not be able to resist the temption. I would never turn down a Leica or Nikon F if I felt it was a bargain

But, what do I grab each day - a digital P&S

What do I take with me when I know I want to take photos - a digital DSLR and , (less and less), my M6 and M3 ----- what get used the most, my Pentax DSLR

With film, (generally, before you all jump on me) - I think age now plays apart - we all look back at the stuff that we could not afford and really wanted - the Nikon stuff, Pentax and Canon. We can now buy it on Ebay for less than the cost of a good meal and Nikon lenses cost less than we pay to get our haircut. WOW, what do we do when we see a "bargain" - probably have "two of each"

Digital is an unstoppable force, and photography is a creative art now enhanced by the computer which most of us are into. The digital camera is just a logical and very good part of life today.

just my views

Bill, I'm the same---except vice-a-versa. I really love my two digital P&S cameras (a Sony F717 and Panasonic LX-1) but end up using my film cameras much more, except when I want pure convenience over quality (subjective for what I expect), family/friend snapshots, or to use the Sony for it's digital infra-red feature.

David R Munson
04-02-2008, 13:20
Probably about 75% digital, but it's a misleading number. I'm broke, am out of 35mm film, and have no darkroom. With different circumstances it would probably be about 50/50. I love both!

Socke
04-20-2008, 15:37
ISO 1600, more like 2000, is tempting.
So I use the dSLR where I shoot low light and the RF where I get away with ISO400 film.
Again dSLR when I think it's not worth spending money on film and when I know I'll shoot a lot, i.E. machinegun style.
Then a RF when I want B/W with grain and a certain, usualy old time, look.

ISO1600 with a dSLR in the streets (http://www.hett.org/v/wien2008/wien0308-1.jpg.html)

and architecture at night (http://www.hett.org/v/wien2008/wien0308-10.jpg.html)

benlees
04-20-2008, 15:53
I use digital more when I can't afford film and its associated costs. Like now! Funny how pinching pennies makes digital seem more attractive ('its plastic but its light', or 'not going to print these anyway') and then vice versa when I am flush. Can't wait for the tax return!

Should edit: I do like both.

oldgearhead
04-21-2008, 05:00
Year to date:
DSLR = 14,565
35SLR = 180
35RF = 72
120RF = 40

D70, F3HP, Retina IIa, & KO

craygc
05-29-2008, 23:10
Digital only means scanning and post processing for me...

Even went and bought a 2nd Mamiya 7II body yesterday ...Im committed to film!

jaap
05-30-2008, 11:56
Film Film Film

Henk
06-19-2008, 11:05
digital ??

kuzano
06-26-2008, 17:35
I shoot film when I have sold my current digital and am awaiting delivery of my new latest and greatest digital.

Ie., I am shooting a great deal of film!!!!

chris00nj
06-26-2008, 17:44
Digital is fine for when you want to take the quick one-off photo. If you have any travel or important photos, I like film. I split between b&w, Kodachrome, and C-41 ... all depending on the setting.

rbsinto
06-27-2008, 05:49
I shoot only film, essentially all 100 ISO colour slide, with the odd bit of 400 pushed one or two stops when I feel the need for speed.

DougK
06-27-2008, 13:20
I originally answered 50/50, but I'm moving more towards 25% film, 75% digital.

Rick Waldroup
08-19-2008, 05:23
Digital 100%

Soeren
08-19-2008, 06:44
Film 100% no matter how its calculated :)
Kind regards
Søren