PDA

View Full Version : Pass the Camera, here's the planning.

Pherdinand
02-19-2005, 11:34
Here's the list and the planning...
Green dots and yellow flags represent stops.
Sorry if some dots are a few thousand kilometers off :D no offense intended!

Still some unconfirmed RFF members, as you see on the list, but the "nodes" are confirmed.

I tried to make it shortest in space, and to cross the borders as rarely as possible. Political borders, i mean. :D Also, i "grouped" some people.
This way we might do it within one year.
The full addresses i will keep, for the moment, under my pillow.

This is just a suggestion!!! I am waiting for your ideas, comments, complaints etc.

I also created a "RFF Member map"-style guestmap, but that's still under construction. Actually, i kinda lost my way on the bravenet.com :bang: , so if somebody could set it up right, i would appreciate it:D

The Canonet seems to work well, i ran a roll through it today (test + my turn), still waiting for the results. If everything seems OK, it will be ready to go!

Grtz
Pherdinand

back alley
02-19-2005, 11:38
oh sure, make the fat man up north wait the longest!

oh hell, looks good to me.
let's get started!!

good work! and many thanks from all of us. (speaking on 'our' behalf, folks!)

joe

Pherdinand
02-19-2005, 11:43
oh sure, make the fat man up north wait the longest!

oh hell, looks good to me.
let's get started!!

good work! and many thanks from all of us. (speaking on 'our' behalf, folks!)

joe
LOL!
sorry Joe, somebody HAS to be at the end! However, i picked you, for 2easons:
1: You guys are two up there in Edmonton. You can always say you are not the VERY last one
2: The cold conserves you, i'm sure you'll be around in a year too.

:D

Seriously, i thought alot about how i should do it. You guys in North-America are so many, that those few exotic folks in Japan, Australia, Colombia would have to wait for ages...

Still, as I said I am open to suggestions!

Honu-Hugger
02-19-2005, 11:53
Hell, I'll be last -- count me in, if it's not too late and Joe can send it down to Idaho. What will "Pass the Camera" be without a shot of Idaho ragweed and sagebrush? Perhaps done to a higher standard is all... :D

taffer
02-19-2005, 11:54
Looks good Pherdi ! :D Joe, with your parcel history I bet it would take a lot to arrive to you anyway :p ;)

Too bad the other 2 photogs from BCN are no longer active and didn't join this :(

Honu-Hugger
02-19-2005, 11:58
Looks good Pherdi ! :D Joe, with your parcel history I bet it would take a lot to arrive to you anyway :p ;)...(snip):(

On second thought, considering Joe's Postal history please route it to me first; I'll hand-deliver it to Joe by motorcycle!

Pherdinand
02-19-2005, 11:58
:) OK honu-hugger, you are in as the last mohicane. PM me with your full postal addrss + an email pls.

EDIT: idaho...idaho...i had to look on the map to see where that is. And guess what! the black circle that I accidentally put on the map previously and could not delete it without destroying the whole thing...is right in Idaho!!!

Doug, :eek: you witch :eek: !!!

Honu-Hugger
02-19-2005, 12:06
:) OK honu-hugger, you are in as the last mohicane. PM me with your full postal addrss + an email pls.

EDIT: idaho...idaho...i had to look on the map to see where that is. And guess what! the black circle that I accidentally put on the map previously and could not delete it without destroying the whole thing...is right in Idaho!!!

Doug, :eek: you witch :eek: !!!

Pherdi,
This is how I explain to friends where we are: Idaho is the state the weather people stand in front of when they give the forecast for the rest of the country! On the RFF map I wrote "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere..."

Pherdinand
02-19-2005, 12:12
Too bad the other 2 photogs from BCN are no longer active and didn't join this :(
Yeah...you could share the shipping costs to Paris, hehe

Actually, that's the idea of sending it out from London to Tokyo - there are 3 of us there!!!

rover
02-19-2005, 12:17
Pherdi,
This is how I explain to friends where we are: Idaho is the state the weather people stand in front of when they give the forecast for the rest of the country! On the RFF map I wrote "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere..."

Funny :D

But if it is a cute female weather person it is good to be in Idaho.

Kris
02-19-2005, 12:29
So we kangaroos, koalas and emus will have to wait a long time before receiving our camera eh? Don't you know that we are actually from the future and can teleport the camera to Europe or Northern America?

:D

Pherdinand
02-19-2005, 12:52
Kris - I can't even find you on the list ! :mad:

Kris
02-19-2005, 13:00
:eek:

What? I know I'm an illegal member but that will change very very soon.

:bang:

taffer
02-19-2005, 13:16
I wonder if Brian has already finished with that teleporter... Last think I know is he was doing tests using a Leica digital M, does anybody know if it worked well with it ? :D

Pherdi, didn't think about that on sharing shipping costs :eek: But now that you mention :bang:

:p No, in fact I thought it would be another good excuse to meet and share some focusing fluid, but seems I'm the lone Barcelonian...

Natalia
02-19-2005, 13:29
cool beans! I understand I am #15 in Louisiana, right? Which Canonet is it, by the way?

Pherdinand
02-19-2005, 13:59
cool beans! I understand I am #15 in Louisiana, right? Which Canonet is it, by the way?

Yep:)no.15 in North-America, if everybody will stay in.
By the way, the letters mean South, North-West etc.
Joe - NNN means darn far up northnorthnorth.

It's a QL17 GIII. Including battery, strap, case, lens cap, lens hood (not to lose!!! at least not before B.Mattock gets it :D )

Pherdinand
02-19-2005, 14:02
Guys - how long does it take shipping within the US of Aaaa...?
Say, over a thousand miles :D

CleverName
02-19-2005, 14:13
Shipping within the US usually doesn't take more than a 4 or 5 days. If you use priority mail it shouldn't be more than 3 days, maybe faster.
For example, from Tulsa to Dallas is about an 8 hour drive, it should take the Post Office about 48 hours to make the trip:) If #13 wanted to meet me at the border, we could save almost two days.

Natalia
02-19-2005, 14:16
we used to have a little map with RFF members' location somewhere on the fron page...Did it disappear with the new look?

Pherdinand
02-19-2005, 14:25
Shipping within the US usually doesn't take more than a 4 or 5 days. If you use priority mail it shouldn't be more than 3 days, maybe faster.
For example, from Tulsa to Dallas is about an 8 hour drive, it should take the Post Office about 48 hours to make the trip:) If #13 wanted to meet me at the border, we could save almost two days.

CleverName, i guess it's a good idea what you say; if nearest neighbors do it personally instead of waiting for the mail, should work much faster. And it's a good excuse for a meeting :D

Natalia, it's still there, RFF home, left side links, on the bottom. In fact, i used that too, for the maps I made.

Natalia
02-19-2005, 14:27
Gotcha, P!

mac_wt
02-19-2005, 15:01
Oops, it seems I'm number 1. What were the rules again? I want to be pepared for this!

Wim

Natalia
02-19-2005, 15:50
Just want to encourage folks to put themselves on our map

http://pub20.bravenet.com/guestmap/view.php?usernum=1637362376

Just occured to me ....maybe we could create a separate map with Bravenet to track the camera's way?

don sorsa
02-19-2005, 16:00
Great work, lots of fun. Maybe whoever is last on the list could start by sending a camera in the opposite direction? Just a thought from someone who isn't last on the list # ^ ]

Pherdinand
02-19-2005, 16:01
Just occured to me ....maybe we could create a separate map with Bravenet to track the camera's way?

I tried that, but i failed so far, as i wrote above.
It's not too urgent, however:)

Mac, easy: receive camera, shoot a roll of film through it, to show us your world; develop it; send the camera further. Select the frame you like most, scan, post here (somewhere).

Natalia
02-19-2005, 16:04
[QUOTE=Pherdinand]I tried that, but i failed so far, as i wrote above.
It's not too urgent, however:)
QUOTE]

I'll tinker with this map thing...maybe smth. will pan out.

Peter
02-19-2005, 18:29
Looks great! Looks like we are going to have enough materials for the next RFF book: Around the World in X Days. Thanks for the work done Pherdinand.

doubs43
02-19-2005, 18:39
Great plan, Pherdinand. This might be a good excuse to meet Rob in Hotlanta, Georgia!

Walker

Natalia
02-19-2005, 19:28
Pherdinand, I PM'ed you about the tracking map.....

digitalox
02-19-2005, 19:31
Cool! Nice maps, Todd and I are #14 I guess? Perhaps we can meet somewhere and hand it off Todd?

Thanks Pherdi! The project is rollin'

Natalia
02-19-2005, 19:39
also, (it might have been said already)...it would be great to include the "directions" concerning the project in the package or post them here, so that all would follow the guidelines as agreed.

Gordon Coale
02-19-2005, 19:45
I think I must have fallen asleep at the keyboard. What was decided about film, number of shots, etc.?

mac_wt
02-19-2005, 23:53
Shouldn't we have a seperate gallery for this?

Wim

Meakin
02-20-2005, 00:46
Ohh Cool - cant wait :)

I was just thinking - since everbody is paying for shipping for the canonet...Do you guys mind if I go along with the camera, Im not doing much for the next year or so anyway....... :D :rolleyes: and Im not THAT heavy...

Cheers,

Meakin

Natalia
02-20-2005, 03:58
MAnGo, do we submit jpeg files (how many) or hard copies? And to who exactly?

Stu :)
02-20-2005, 04:17
Groovy... I get to look forward to another to another package in the mail.

Looking at the global map I saw two things straight off...
1). The daylight/night map is based on 6:00AM GMT with winter in the northern hemisphere and summer in the southern hemisphere.

2). According to the map the camera is going to Wanganui rather than Auckland. Oh well at least the camera is coming to Middle Earth.

Stu "I refuse to join the beige-craze" :)

Pherdinand
02-20-2005, 08:27
Great plan, Pherdinand. This might be a good excuse to meet Rob in Hotlanta, Georgia!

Walker

Yeah, maybe, Walker; however, Rob still did not confirm his participation, and i have no address of him.
How big is Atlanta? How famous is the guy? Is it enuff to write "Rob, Atlanta, GA" on the box?:D

Pherdinand
02-20-2005, 08:47
Natalia: great tracking map, willl be nice to follow the camera. Also, the "rules" will be in the box, together with the addresses, and indeed we should put them up here in a clear place.
Emailing will happen too,i guess.

mac, "nat": First we should ask someone to set up a gallery here, as suggested by Mango and others. I think we should limit ourselves to one or two shots (there'll be sixty-something persons submitting!!!)
And, the rules etc can be put there too.
:D a second RFF book from the pics is a great idea!

digitalox: sure, that's why you are put under one number :D

Stu, - 1: I stole the map from a site i've found with google. Pssst! :D It is showing the daylight situation in the moment when i took it. It was the coolest world map i've found:cool:
2: Be sure to pick it up in Wanganui. :D
OK OK, i had no patience to look for a NZ map too, only for you. That's why I apologized for those miles, i knew i [email protected] it up here and there.

mac_wt
02-20-2005, 11:22
Pherdinand,

How about posting the contact sheet (or its digital equivalent) and a few full size photos? I think someone posted this idea on the original thread.

Wim

Pherdinand
02-20-2005, 11:32
Mac, i guess it was Taffer, with the contact sheet. Good idea.

ManGo, somewhere next week. When the test roll is back.

don sorsa
02-20-2005, 16:29
Maybe everyone who uses the traveling camera could take a self-portrait with the camera, something like Gordon has for his avatar and using their imaginations to record camera, self, and place. Such portraits could become a cool book for lulu.com, limited audience maybe but everyone who's in it would treasure a copy and share the idea and photos widely.

That gets me thinking about content, and if I'm 2 steps behind everyone else in this matter then I deserve to be ignored. In any case, the documentary potential for this brilliant concept might be worth exploring. I'd guess that most of the camera recipients will shoot 2-3-4+ rolls 'cuz film is cheap and we love to burn it, no? Maybe we could each shoot a roll about our immediate environment, family, etc. As one example, I love the book "The Material World" and use it all the time in my classes and sitting around with my sons talking about the world. http://*******.com/4azu5 I also love Milton Rogovin's work, so that's another influence on my thinking.

My personal photography needs a theme, focus and purpose in order to grow, but the advanced photogs in RFF are probably beyond that point. Hmm, this really might be too much for the current project. Just a couple thoughts maybe for the next version...

GermanB
02-21-2005, 05:55
I realized that wblanchard is not in the list of participants. I think he deserves to be in as he came with the idea. if necesary he could take my place (Im not resigning though !!).

rbiemer
02-21-2005, 07:10
Pherdinand,
Excellent work! When you and Natalia get the tracking map please let us know .
Way cool! I'm already putting some ideas on paper for my turn. Can't wait. Those of you that are in NY state --let's try to figure out a meeting?
Rob

Pherdinand
02-21-2005, 09:03
I realized that wblanchard is not in the list of participants. I think he deserves to be in as he came with the idea. if necesary he could take my place (Im not resigning though !!).

Barret, I completely agree. However, I asked wblanchard about it, but got no reply (so far). I know he's really busy lately with his real life.
I can't do much more than that!
Hope he'll be in it.

You are not allowed to resign. You are the only south-american participant. :D

Pherdinand
02-23-2005, 07:38
I got the test roll back today, the Canonet works as should. He will start his journey this week, hopefully till saturday 26 february 2005.

All the addresses and a brief list of what-to-do will be in the box. Please send/give these further when you finish your turn, to make things easier+quicker. Of course, the same thing will be available here on RFF online (less the full addresses, which i will mail to everyone, - privacy rulez!).

St3ph3n, i will PM you about this in a minute.

Natalia, is it okay w you to put the tracking map-link online here, same thread where the "rules" will be?

Joe or Jorge, could you create a gallery for this project pretty please?:)

Thanks everyone for the great cooperation!

LAST CALL FOR CONFIRMATION
The following 9 persons still did not confirm/send their address to me:

24x30 ( Reutlingen, Germany);

Gianni (Hertfordshire/London, UK);

Allen Gilman (Tokyo, Japan);

Tim (Sydney, Australia);

2maneecameras (Greenbank, WA, USA);

Stanton (Bakersfield, CA, USA);

Rob (Atlanta, GA, USA);

thunderstick (Atco, NJ, USA);

Saltyfli (Brightwaters Long Island, NY, USA).

If anyone has contact with any of them, please ask them what's up.

mac_wt
02-23-2005, 07:47
I have a roll of film waiting...

Wim

Natalia
02-23-2005, 08:05
Pherdinand, the map is moved to my camerafool.com site as my other domain expires before the end of our project. I wasn't intending on keeping that, but I sure will keep camerafool.com ..kinda grew on me;)
So, the tracking map will be on "Pass the Camera" page on www.camerafool.com site

I think the name also describes a lot of fine folk from this venerable RFF site as well (!!!)

Pherdinand
02-23-2005, 08:05
That's a good question, ManGo. I already am thinking what to do with the three subscriptions which came in these days.
En-route meanys it's faster than off-route, but it will take extra time anyway - and "the fat old guy up north" will have to wait ages :D
We are sooo many already... But i can't decide only myself!
But i don't want another damn poll neither!:(

What shall we do guys, shall we just close the list now and that's all?

Pherdinand
02-23-2005, 08:07
OK Natalia, thanks for the update!

digitalox
02-23-2005, 08:21
IMO I think we have to lock-in the participants at some point and not allow new ones. Otherwise the logistics could be pretty crazy, and it could go on forever. We can always have another one after this one, or if there are enough who join and want to participate we could have another running concurrently!

Pherdinand
02-23-2005, 08:28
I kinda gave up on this canonet, anyway:)

rbiemer
02-23-2005, 08:29
Pherdinand,
My .02$ worth: I think that once the camera goes out that should be the cut off for new shooters. If we/you continue to add more as this project goes forward, you'll never get your camera back! That still gives you three days to add any one you want. I don't wnat to exclude any one but deadlines are important to a project like this or it never finishes. (tho,Perpetual Pass The Camera does have a certain appeal...)

Pherdinand
02-23-2005, 08:37
OK, thanks for the cents; the best is then to do it like:
the list is CLOSED as now is, + honu-hugger in idaho usa being the last mohicane. When the project is at its end, we'll see if anyone more is still interested, and eventually they can be added to the end of the list making it a camera perpetuum mobile or something like that. But no insertions on the way, no delays for the current members.

Exception to be made for wblanchard if he reacts, him being the father of the whole idea, and jorge torralba ( for obvious reasons) if he changes his mind and wants to be in.

UFF.

GermanB
02-23-2005, 10:17
IMHO at this moment a limit is necesary just to start the project but OTOH we could view it as for how long can we -RFF members- keep passing the camera around the world (and Pherdi waiting for "the camera return"), as time goes by there will be new members who would like to participate and as has been said they could go to the end of the list.

thmk
02-23-2005, 11:15
Hm, following the initial idea to self-publish a book and donate the proceeds there should be definitely an end for the sign-up. A "neverending story" does not work for this purpose. Correct me if I am wrong but this idea was never canceled as far as I can see.