PDA

View Full Version : Photography or Cameras? What would you give up?

raid
04-07-2007, 20:05
Many RFF members do photography and also collect cameras and lenses. If you have to give up one of these two activities, which one would it be [honestly]?

If you choose photography over collecting, this implies that you don't mind selling off most of you already have collected.

Raid

wlewisiii
04-07-2007, 20:33
Raid,

To me that's such a no-brainer that it makes me curious why you would even bring the topic up. Fortunately I know you aren't a troll... ;)

I could, if I needed to, ditch everything I had but one. Choosing which one to keep would be more difficult - probably end up being the 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic - but there is the very real issue that somethings are better done by one type of camera than others.

I'm not a collector. My wife was looking through my cameras the other day and asked where my Kiev 4a was. I said I'd sold it nearly a year ago after not using it for a couple of months. She was surprised as I'd put a fair amount of time, money & work into that camera. But it was collecting dust & the funds it brought in made another step towards what I currently own and, much more importantly, use.

Hope this makes some sense,

William

mfunnell
04-07-2007, 22:59
If you choose photography over collecting, this implies that you don't mind selling off most of you already have collected.That strikes me as a very false dichotomy. I have different cameras for different tasks - I'd no more want to use my RF cameras for bird photography than I'd try to take my dSLR with me everywhere as I do my pocket digicam. Cutting back on my cameras would mean cutting back on my photography in a very practical sense.

Sure, I have some cameras I could do without. Some of them are backups bought with the intention of not doing without. Some are inexpensive so bought and used as a bit of cheap-ish fun - usually to try something different. I could go all hair-shirted and get rid of them. That would return me little money - less than $300, and less than the fun is worth to me. So why would I want to?

I have only one camera that may go. I've only just bought it, to see what it's like. Once I know that, I'll keep it if I'll use it and pass it on if I don't or won't. That's my only truly GASsy purchase. All my other big(-ish) ticket items are there for a purpose, and are used.

That seems sensible to me. If it doesn't to you, well, sorry I guess.

...Mike

HuubL
04-08-2007, 00:05
Com'on Raid, this is about the meanest poll on RFF:eek:

ChrisN
04-08-2007, 00:29
"I'd give my right arm to be able to play the violin!"

oscroft
04-08-2007, 00:52
No, no, I'm not a collector - I use all of my cameras, honestly, yes, I really do ;)

icemendicant
04-08-2007, 01:10
I really couldn't give up photography, and at a real push could cut down to one camera, which would probably be my Leica MP and 50 'lux. And the 35 'cron. And the 75 'cron...

But it would have to be a real push. I'd sooner sell one of the cars and buy an old banger to drive to work in.

Photography has been a lifelong passion for me, and started when I was about 8 years old, so I think that as long as my eyes work I'll always be taking pictures in some way or another.

Collecting cameras came a lot later, and I'll often buy cameras to see what they are like, use them for a while and then sell them on to fund the next purchase; a handful become real keepers. It's a different sort of hobby to actual photography, but it is fun, and I've never found the two pastimes to be mutually exclusive.

Happy Easter!

Regards, Dan

ClaremontPhoto
04-08-2007, 02:26
I'm not a collector at all. I'm much more into photos than cameras, and not at all into bags and neck straps.

But I do have four very different cameras for very different photos, and could not produce the range of photos that I do if I did not have all four of them.

I buy to keep forever, and not to sell on.

The only fifth camera I can imagine at this time is one optimized for very wide angle, and I suppose that means the Voigtlander R4 or the Zeiss Ikon SW. But there's no rush to buy.

RObert Budding
04-08-2007, 02:26
raid - DId my wife put you up to this?

raid
04-08-2007, 06:37
Raid,

To me that's such a no-brainer that it makes me curious why you would even bring the topic up. Fortunately I know you aren't a troll... ;)

I could, if I needed to, ditch everything I had but one. Choosing which one to keep would be more difficult - probably end up being the 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic - but there is the very real issue that somethings are better done by one type of camera than others.

I'm not a collector. My wife was looking through my cameras the other day and asked where my Kiev 4a was. I said I'd sold it nearly a year ago after not using it for a couple of months. She was surprised as I'd put a fair amount of time, money & work into that camera. But it was collecting dust & the funds it brought in made another step towards what I currently own and, much more importantly, use.

Hope this makes some sense,

William
William,

Most people here who write about their photography and the lenses used will obviously state what you have stated, but I am interested to find out what proportion of collectors we have on board.

Raid

raid
04-08-2007, 06:39
Guys,
Note that we already have two votes for giving up photography. This is a fun poll after all. No harm was intended. :D

Raid

back alley
04-08-2007, 06:40
William,

Most people here who write about their photography and the lenses used will obviously state what you have stated, but I am interested to find out what proportion of collectors we have on board.

Raid

then why not just ask the question directly?

raid
04-08-2007, 06:41
"I'd give my right arm to be able to play the violin!"

Chris: We may have discovered something here:

"I'd give up all my cameras (except one) to do photography."

Must be the same poet!

Raid

ferider
04-08-2007, 06:45
What did you vote, Raid ? ;)

Pherdinand
04-08-2007, 06:56
oh, i gave up on photography already.:)
I only shoot once in a while to make sure my cameras don't get rusty.

raid
04-08-2007, 06:59
I would give up all cameras except one, Roland. If I were then asked which camera and which lens to keep, I need to think more about this. Most likely, I would keep the M3 but really miss the Canon T90. The T90 with the 300TL flash form a great combo for flash photography. Maybe this means that I change my photography style totally to RF photography. On the other hand, if I kept the Canon T90, then I would have to give up RF photography.

What a difficult choice to make! Who in the world thought up such a poll!!!

Raid

raid
04-08-2007, 07:00

Now this is a "true"collector. :bang:

Raid

Pablito
04-08-2007, 07:06
I am interested to find out what proportion of collectors we have on board.

Raid

Then why not ask just that? I am not a collector but as a photographer I need more than one camera. The poll is absurd.

ClaremontPhoto
04-08-2007, 07:06

You are an honest typical RFF man.

Pherdinand
04-08-2007, 07:08
I figured i'm much better a collector than a photographer i will ever be.

Pablito
04-08-2007, 07:09
Who in the world thought up such a poll!!!

Raid

I appreciate this, Raid.

The great ballet dancer Margot Fonteyn once sad, "To take one's work seriously is essential, to take oneself seriously is lethal" (I paraphrase)

Jamie123
04-08-2007, 07:18
A camera, for me, is a tool. Having said that, if I had the money I'd buy myself lots and lots of those tools.

Anyways, I'm a student and even after I get my degree I most likely will not be making a lot of money so I think I'm never going to be a collector.

HuubL
04-08-2007, 07:45
Pherdinand, I figure this means you are the first REAL photographer responding to this thread. Let's be honest, we all want to be good photographers, but being a really good photographer is infinitely more difficult than being a collector.

raid
04-08-2007, 08:27
The goal of this thread is to get an interesting discussion going as we already see in the making. Thanks.

Raid

raid
04-08-2007, 08:28
No, no, I'm not a collector - I use all of my cameras, honestly, yes, I really do ;)

Alan: Are you by any chance quoting me ...? :D

Raid

raid
04-08-2007, 08:31
then why not just ask the question directly?

Joe: We get more interesting feedback this way. A poll by itself is boring to a statistician (like myself). There has to be more ...

Raid

back alley
04-08-2007, 08:33
but what do we mean by 'photographer'?

does it means thinking about photography a majority of the time?
does it mean taking photos at most of the opportunities presented?
does it mean having a camera nearby at all times?
does it mean staying abreast of current trends in both art & gear?
does it mean being a 'good' photographer?

if the above is true then i consider myself a 'photographer'!

many here are collectors which even more confuse with fondler.
some here consider gear talk as anti photography.
some here think if they ignore/don't participate in gear talk that that makes them a better person and an even better photographer.
hogwash!

joe

raid
04-08-2007, 09:00
This is good stuff, Joe. Doesn't it feel good to spell things out?

Raid

ClaremontPhoto
04-08-2007, 09:46
but what do we mean by 'photographer'?

does it means thinking about photography a majority of the time?
does it mean taking photos at most of the opportunities presented?
does it mean having a camera nearby at all times?
does it mean staying abreast of current trends in both art & gear?
does it mean being a 'good' photographer?

if the above is true then i consider myself a 'photographer'!

many here are collectors which even more confuse with fondler.
some here consider gear talk as anti photography.
some here think if they ignore/don't participate in gear talk that that makes them a better person and an even better photographer.
hogwash!

joe

Joe:

You are a good guy doing a good job.

RFF caters for fondlers and for collectors. Dual audience.

You know that.

Stephen Gandy knows that also.

You also know that us photographers are not much into gear, and that that the collectors are not really into photography in a meaningful way. There is, however, a small crossover.

We all get along well together.

Why muddy the waters trying to make out out like we are in opposition? Especially given your privileged position on RFF.

Chill.

Enjoy the diversity.

lynn
04-08-2007, 10:22
Joe:

You know that.

You also know that us photographers are not much into gear, and that that the collectors are not really into photography in a meaningful way. There is, however, a small crossover.

Why muddy the waters trying to make out out like we are in opposition? Especially given your privileged position on RFF.

Chill.

Enjoy the diversity.

I don't fondle. I collect in order to create. RFF caters, too, for me, and countless others who simply share enthusiasm, and vision.

And stirring doesn't necessarily muddy, either. Sometimes it just shifts sands.

back alley
04-08-2007, 10:27
Joe:

You know that.

Chill.

Enjoy the diversity.

Why muddy the waters trying to make out out like we are in opposition?

well jon, it seems what we have here is a failure to communicate!
from my pov, it is you that is trying to insert the wedge that would separate rff members.
i have the impression that you think photographers are better than fondlers and collectors.
i have the impression that you see yourself as a photographer and therefore better than the collectors and fondlers.

i see myself as a photographer and most definitely not a collector but a part time fondler.

and my position here hardly feels priveleged.

joe

Jocko
04-08-2007, 10:40
You also know that us photographers are not much into gear, and that that the collectors are not really into photography in a meaningful way. There is, however, a small crossover..

Absolutely not Jon - rather a very large and largely silent majority. Perhaps such people are not "photographers" in the unique way you understand it - but they certainly love photography. I draw. In a very real sense I feel that drawing expresses my inner nature more powerfully than photography does. But let me assure you, that choice of pens, paper, ink and so on are vitally important to me. A specific tool gives me enormous sensual pleasure as I use it to express myself in a very precise way. I have had many chats with other artists over our chosen materials. Does that make me a pen collector?

Love the medium, love the tools. The photographer does both. It's the difference between walking and hopping.

Ian

ClaremontPhoto
04-08-2007, 11:09
I wish we were all all here in the same room. Talking face to face,

The internet is so difficult to understand each other.

I completely appreciate collectors and photographers, and the cross overs.

raid
04-08-2007, 11:20
I used to do only photography and with one camera when I was a student. I don't know what happened that led me to buy more cameras over the years. I grew attached to the camera equipment as much as to the photography with the equipment. It is great when we can afford doing both. I also feel that most people here are somehow doing both.

There is in my opinion absolutely nothing wrong with both or either.
I am hoping that one day we will build a new house and that then I will have my "Camera Room" so that I can see most of my camera equipemnt each day.

I have two little daughters that "must be photographed", so I will stay busy taking photos too.

Raid

back alley
04-08-2007, 11:43
I wish we were all all here in the same room. Talking face to face,

The internet is so difficult to understand each other.

I completely appreciate collectors and photographers, and the cross overs.

i find the forum/internet very frustrating at times like this.
i am not sure how i come across to others (though my cyber stalkers make their views quite clear) but i honestly do not go looking for fights.
and i am very serious about my photography - just not all that serious about myself;)

anyway, yes, it would be nice to meet up face to face to iron out the communication wrinkles.

joe

gb hill
04-08-2007, 13:00
It seems to me!... How can one call theirself a photographer and NOT be an appreciater of photographic equipment like camera & such. I'm sure all collectors started out as users. I am certainly no collector. Every camera I buy is to me a user. Just so happens that some get used more than others. And as soon as I make up my mind which body I wan't, Stephen is gonna get an order from me.:)

raid
04-08-2007, 16:47
It seems to me!... How can one call theirself a photographer and NOT be an appreciater of photographic equipment like camera & such. I'm sure all collectors started out as users. I am certainly no collector. Every camera I buy is to me a user. Just so happens that some get used more than others. And as soon as I make up my mind which body I wan't, Stephen is gonna get an order from me.:)

gb hill: I have a feeling that most RF members are like you are. 10% of the respondants have chosen to leave photography of this hypothetical situation were true and they had to make a choice.

Raid

pvdhaar
04-09-2007, 22:21
I guess collecting applies to the hunter/gatherer instinct in us. And discovering a gem in a garage sale probably satisfies that instinct. For a while at least. When the sensation of achievement wears off, what's left but to look for the next find? Sounds a lot like an addiction.. with a camera collection as a byproduct, which I think is only marginally more exciting than a stamp collection..

Given that sentiment, I'm continuously amazed about why each time after I purge my photoequipment, the cupboards slowly start filling up with gear again..

mike goldberg
04-10-2007, 06:25
I can't vote in the poll.
It is set up as "either-or."

I love photography... it is a part of me since my pre-teens.
I love cameras & good glass. Mostly, I collect to use a camera,
rather than let it gather dust.

Well, with one user/photographer/collector, there IS going to be some dust.
Example:

I have a Kiev 4a; it's fairly good and has some quirks I do not enjoy.
A Fed-2 just arrived, and it looks really good with an older J8 left over
from another deal.

I do intend to sell off some stuff eventually. As for now... perhaps I'll sell 2 EOS
Adapters. And how did I get into all this? In a more serious way, it began with Photography and a Topcon camera in the late 1960's ;-)
Cheers, mike

pesphoto
04-10-2007, 06:28
Im a shooter, since finding rff Ive bought and tried many cameras, but usually once I use it for a while, I sell it to try something else. The few that Ive really enjoyed using I've kept and continued using.

Anupam
04-10-2007, 06:47
I'd give up my gear BUT instead of choosing a camera to keep I'd have to decide what kind of photography I want to keep doing. I do several genres of photography very seriously and each of my diverse set of cameras caters to a different aspect. But your poll made me think of the kinds of photography that are most important to me:

#1 - Landscape, abstracts etc - Mostly the kind of photography that calls for a slow and precise apporach - Almost all in BW - My Shen-Hao and three lenses would suffice.

#2 - Macro photography - I have a fetish for photographing dew covered insects at dawn - really :) ! My F3 with DW-4 finder. The 100mm macro, a few tubes, reversed enlarger lenses and if you will allow me, the 180mm too. I used to do handheld stuff with SLRs too, but now use mostly RFs - so I am selling off the 24 and 50 Nikkors.

PS: for both of the above, my beloved Gitzo is essential.

#3 - Street - handheld, spur of the moment, HCB wannabe stuff :) - I used to use a bunch of fixed lens RFs and FSU bodies. I am in the process of moving to a Bessa and a couple of LTM lenses. Might keep one Fed as backup. Everything else is being sold off in the classifieds.

#4 - Pinhole - my extreme wideangle modified holga that I made myself - this is perhaps my most precious camera :) Please, please let me keep it.

Those are the main kinds of photography I do. All my cameras are geared towards very specific applications and I don't think I could do any other kind of photography with any of the sets.

Some passing things I do and could easily give up would include some handheld flash photography and walkaround shooting with TLRs. Nice, but by no means essential. "Simplify, simplify" as Thoureau said. Well, at least your poll made me sort it all out.

-Anupam

oftheherd
04-10-2007, 08:27
I've kind of given up "collecting" as there is nothing else I might want that I can afford. If you don't mind, I will continue to fondle thank you. I may even use some to the gear I have on occassion. Or... maybe not.

Regardless, I wouldn't want to give up any of the cameras. Actually, maybe a 4x5 I bought to get the lens with it. I sure don't need three of those cameras. But I do like to fondle and even though I don't photograph so much these days, I do like it.

Point being, how do I answer the poll which as several have pointed out, seems to give only choices that are not acceptable to me? Almost like asking a man a "yes or no" question, does he still beats his wife.

Raid, statistican you may well be, but I would submit, not a pollster? :D :D

Still, if nothing else, you have created an attention getting thread.

steve garza
04-10-2007, 11:34
Collecting cameras does not interest me. It's collecting prints of great images that is far more challenging.

Doug
04-10-2007, 11:40
Just as another statistical point, I can't answer the poll either. As engineer and artist, I know one tool cannot do it all... or even the limited tasks that I need.

pesphoto
04-10-2007, 12:11
Collecting cameras does not interest me. It's collecting prints of great images that is far more challenging.

Good point....

Leica Geek
04-11-2007, 14:31
A collector buys rare things or things that he or she wants to preserve it's present or pristine condition. So I guess is that respect, I'm not a collector. If it's too valuable and rare to shoot it, I don't want it.

Also, I don't like the choices for this poll. One camera? Why? Plenty of photographer have more than one camera.

bobkonos
04-11-2007, 15:27
I hope none of us ever have to make this choice. But if pushed, I'd give up the collection, and stick with my chrome MP and my pre-aspherical 35 Summicron with round vemted hood, Luigi lower case and strap, and TA softie.

And when that time does come, watch the RFF Classifieds...

raid
04-11-2007, 15:48
All I wanted is to get an interesting discussion going here.

Raid

Finder
04-11-2007, 16:52
If you choose photography over collecting, this implies that you don't mind selling off most of you already have collected.

Raid

That would be a false assumption as I use all my cameras. It also implies photographers are collectors too, which is also a false assumption. Third, it is not much of a choice for me as I don't collect.

raid
04-11-2007, 17:18
Finder: Many RFF members collect cameras and also engage in photography. In fact, I would suggest that the majority of RFF members fall into such a category in way or another.

Raid

amateriat
04-11-2007, 18:10
Well, at some point (way off, mehopes), I'll have to give up both...:rolleyes:

But I'd obviously lose all but one of the cameras before giving up the reason for having them in the first place, which, I think, is the crux of the consternation surrounding this poll: I would guess there's little of the Ferrari-in-the-living-room stuff going on here; one camera rarely, if ever, covers a a truly itinerant photographer's wants and needs. It's the reason why, even though I do a good 80% of my shooting with RFs, I still have a pair of pocket p/s cameras (one decent, one great), an old SLR, and even a pocket digicam (and, who knows, maybe even a TLR soon...anybody got a nice Autocord for not much dough?). You needn't be a "collector" to own a handful of cameras, nor have a closetfull of bodies and glass to be a collector. And, other than their propensity to drive up prices of certain brands of gear, I see no reason to diss collectors for being more into the gear than the images said gear can make (though I still say they don't know what they're missing :)). This "town" is, indeed, "big enough for the both of us."

- Barrett

ernesto
11-16-2007, 12:18
This Forum has it name from a Camera Kind, so the accent is there.
Perhaps a name related to Photography itself would be a diferent thing.
Anyway you can write and talk about what you like, there is no better way!

Ernesto

Gabriel M.A.
11-16-2007, 12:29
Give up collecting = use only one camera?

I digress.

Al Patterson
11-16-2007, 12:33
IIRC, when someone votes in an old poll thread, the thread then cycles up to the front page.

And I second what Gabriel said. If I stop collecting with say 10 cameras, which one do I then use? Do I have to sell the rest? Inquiring minds want to know...

clarence
11-16-2007, 12:41
I don't collect, really. My gear flows from the hands of other users to me, and flows away again when I need the money. Most of the time the only thing lost is money for postage costs, whereas the gains in experience and enjoyment I get are tremendous.

Clarence

narsuitus
11-16-2007, 13:03
Since I could not vote for giving up photography, I had to vote for, “Give Up Collecting (stick with one camera).”

However, I am a camera user not a camera collector. There is nothing wrong with being a camera collector—I just am not one. For example, I once had to sell two cameras because the collectors had driven the price so high, that I was afraid to use them for fear of devaluing them. I sold them for a profit and bought something I could use.

If I were forced to “stick with one camera,” to prove that I was not a collector, it would not be a rangefinder. I would stick with an SLR with interchangeable lenses (medium format film SLR or digital SLR).

If I were forced to “stick with one camera,” that I already own, it stick with my battery-independent manual/mechanical film SLR.

If I were forced to get rid of all my cameras and forbidden to buy any, rather than give up photography, I would start from scratch and build two large-format pinhole cameras (one with a flat film plane and one with a curved film plane).

BigSteveG
11-16-2007, 13:42
I don't collect camera gear for its intinsic value or asthetic. I buy it for its usability. At the same time, I love old and/or unique/well made equipment becaue of the pleasure I derive from using it and learing about it. Leica/other RF gear is inspiring when one reflects on the thought, precision and pride used to manufacture the items. It's not likely I will buy anymore 35mm bodies or lenses (unless its something appealing and very cheap). I have all the Leica/35mm gear I could ever really want. I know at some point I will buy an M/F or L/F camera (will also need a new enlarger, etc.) I sometimes think of selling my 75 'lux because I don't use it a lot. Does that make me a collector? I know it'll come in handy and produce wonderful results as I become more comfortable with it. My 1st Leica lens purchase was a chrome 35 lux asph. I didn't know it would rise in value. Does keeping it make a collector? I still use it often. I have a Canon 135 LTM that's been used 3 times. Does leaving it on my shelf make me a collector? My books and prints are a different story. I've paid high prices for some. Not so for others. I keep them in plastic sleeves and in frames on the wall. They inspire and teach me to continue w/ photography even I don't feel like a great photographer. The point is I have fun and the hobby adds to my life. People should be allowed to do as they please without being criticized for it, be it taking bad photos or collecting gear.

ClaremontPhoto
11-16-2007, 13:51
I have five cameras for five different usages.

No duplication at all.

Not as pure as 'one camera' for sure, but it is one camera for each purpose I require.

otaku
11-17-2007, 21:03
one camera for sure why have the damn things if you don't use them? Never understood the whole collecting thing I collect alot of things but I use them as well whether its cars, video games, or cameras.

cmogi10
11-17-2007, 21:40
I feel like this one is a no brainer.
I'l take my MP and 35 and make the best of it.
I'd take any camera regardless over no camera.

raid
11-18-2007, 06:36
Give up collecting = use only one camera?

I digress.

Gabriel,

This could start one of those "which equipment would you keep'" threads ... :bang:

raid
11-18-2007, 06:39
Since I could not vote for giving up photography, I had to vote for, “Give Up Collecting (stick with one camera).”

However, I am a camera user not a camera collector. There is nothing wrong with being a camera collector—I just am not one. For example, I once had to sell two cameras because the collectors had driven the price so high, that I was afraid to use them for fear of devaluing them. I sold them for a profit and bought something I could use.

If I were forced to “stick with one camera,” to prove that I was not a collector, it would not be a rangefinder. I would stick with an SLR with interchangeable lenses (medium format film SLR or digital SLR).

If I were forced to “stick with one camera,” that I already own, it stick with my battery-independent manual/mechanical film SLR.

If I were forced to get rid of all my cameras and forbidden to buy any, rather than give up photography, I would start from scratch and build two large-format pinhole cameras (one with a flat film plane and one with a curved film plane).

My original question is a hypothetical one, of course. "What if' kind of situation so that we get from you your thoughts.

HuubL
11-18-2007, 09:24
Instead of "Photography or Cameras" try "Photography of Cameras" You can keep on doing both :)

FrankS
11-18-2007, 10:26
Joe:

You know that.

Chill.

Enjoy the diversity.

Got to disagree, Jon.

I'd say that on RFF, there is a small group of folks just into photography and not into gear at all. You may consider yourself in that group, although you did say you have 5 cameras.

There may be another small group just into collecting gear and not into photography at all. I honestly don't think I know anyone here that is part of this group.

Then there is the largest group by far on RFF, of folks who appreciate both. If they had to decide between keeping a bunch of cameras and giving up photography, or keeping just one camera to continue to do photography, the overwhelming choice would be to do photography.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

The "us photographers" and "in a meaningful way" parts of your post irks me. You may not mean it to, but it comes across as condescending to me.

crawdiddy
12-07-2007, 14:16
Photography vs. Cameras

What kind of sick question is this? It's like Sophie's Choice.

raid
12-08-2007, 11:24
It is a hypothetical question. If you had to make a choice ....

crawdiddy
12-08-2007, 11:40
It's a good question. I'm a little relieved that most chose photography over collecting. Also, a little surprised by this result.

giovatony
12-11-2007, 17:44
Collecting and using go hand in hand.
I`d really hate to have but one camera to use.
Presently I have about 50 different RF cameras mostly from the and 40 `s and 50`s. I have a few from the 30`s that I guess focus with.
I like the fixed lens RF bodies like the Bolsey B2 and the Agfa Super Silette. The Wollensak and Apotar lenses were quite good. The cameras were small and lightweight too.
Nah, no less than 50 for me. I can use a different camera every week for a year and then start all over again .
John

raid
12-12-2007, 19:20
John,

What you have said above is true, but if you had to decide, what would you do?

Stu W
12-19-2007, 13:16
Hi, my name is Stu and I am a gearaholic.

Rayt
02-17-2008, 15:26
It has always been my aim to stay with one camera and ideally one lens however I haven't been able to locate this camera and have accumulated lots of other cameras in the process. This is not necessarily collecting as I had every intention of using it when the itch occurred.

literiter
02-17-2008, 15:29
If I could have only one camera, or borrow what I needed when I wanted it, that would be fine. Not great but I could do it.

I don't think I'd give up photography.

( What a horrible thought though.)

Thardy
02-17-2008, 15:33
Talk about digging up a dead horse. (or whatever the cliche is) :p

Ducky
02-17-2008, 16:59

Got me pegged, and I practice at both.:confused:

Leighgion
02-17-2008, 17:32
I'd mark "give up collecting" except that in order to give it, I'd have to have started. I do have several cameras, but that's because they call do different things well. Not really a collecting sort, me.

usagisakana
02-17-2008, 18:43
Fred,

There are many camera collectors who never use any of their cameras.

What a waste.

NickTrop
03-27-2008, 04:39
If film were to stop being made, I would give up photography rather than shoot digital.

robin a
03-27-2008, 05:00
If film were to stop being made, I would give up photography rather than shoot digital.

Me too....................Robin

Charles Woodhouse
03-27-2008, 05:01
As long as there is 35mm film around I'll continue to shoot with one of my nearly 300 pre1970 cameras with focal plane shutters, and none of my wondrous works of mechanical art need anything as prosaic as a battery. And most of them are rangefinders.
And if and when film is no longer available I'll continue to make images with a
digital camera, or whatever is the latest image making device around then,
and my wife, my harshest critic, will still be able to say,"more boring bloody photographs"!

marke
03-27-2008, 06:48
Guys,
Note that we already have two votes for giving up photography.Raid

Okay, who are they, Raid? I'll..I'll...well, I'll shoot 'em with my Barbie digicam! Yeah, THAT'S what I'll do! :cool:

kuzano
03-27-2008, 08:26
I have a lot of different guns for various reasons. I have a single shot target pistol for match shooting - best shot. I have a clip fed match pistol for repeat shooting. I have a shotgun for bird hunting and a high powered rifle for killing dangerous wild beasts. I have an AK-47 for when the time comes.

I need them all and I do or will use them under varying circumstances.

My 4X5 is like the single shot target pistol
My Fuji G690 bl is like the clip fed auto pistol
My shot gun is like my wide angle 645 rangefinder
My high powered rifle is like my G1 Contax or my Canon A1
My AK-47 is clearly like my digital camera - hold the button down and hope for one good clean shot out of a full clip (memory card)

What was the question again?

raid
04-06-2008, 19:35
Okay, who are they, Raid? I'll..I'll...well, I'll shoot 'em with my Barbie digicam! Yeah, THAT'S what I'll do! :cool:

They now count ten! Wow. I don't know who they are.

chippy
04-06-2008, 19:41
I have a lot of different guns for various reasons. I have a single shot target pistol for match shooting - best shot. I have a clip fed match pistol for repeat shooting. I have a shotgun for bird hunting and a high powered rifle for killing dangerous wild beasts. I have an AK-47 for when the time comes.

My AK-47 is clearly like my digital camera - hold the button down and hope for one good clean shot out of a full clip (memory card)

have to say that this sort a analogy was running through my mind for a while reading these posts.....same sort of thing could be said for someone that collects cars.

i wonder though if collecting cameras and gear that are for different uses make one more of a photography buff/fanatic rather than a collector. i too have different cameras for different jobs but also collect some old vintage cameras just because i appreciate their history and looks and also to tinker and restore them..perhaps just an associated but seperate hobby to photography. although it does keep ones mind on the basic elements to photography and where it came from

ruben
04-06-2008, 20:14

Apropo.

It is said that once after the young Castro landing on Cuban shores and caught in a disastrous situation by the Batista forces, Che Guevara found himself under heavy fire and somewhat far both from his rifle and his medical bag. So he had to make a choice about what to risk himself to catch. He choosed the gun.

Cheers,
Ruben

iamzip
04-06-2008, 20:22
I would like to say that I would give up collecting (wouldn't everyone), but the truth is I probably currently collect more than I shoot already.

Jan Van Laethem
04-07-2008, 07:20
I don’t consider myself a collector in the sense that I will accumulate camera bodies and lenses for the sole purpose of owning them. All cameras I’ve ever bought have been acquired with a specific purpose in mind. I still own most of them, while some have been replaced by other equipment that suited my needs better. Rangefinders, SLRs, panoramic cameras, medium format… they all have their pros and cons and do not necessarily yield the same pictures. They certainly force me to see things differently and I think this can only benefit one’s photography. To be able to choose a specific camera and lens combination for a specific photograph is a luxury I would have a hard time giving up. By ‘luxury’ I mean that they are not essential to my photography, but it gives me pleasure and comfort using them. I appreciate cameras for their intrinsic qualities, the same as I appreciate classic watches, cars etc. Does that make me a collector? I don’t think so. I use all my cameras on a regular basis and regard them as tools to get the photograph I want. If I were faced with the choice you express, I guess I could use only one, but it would also restrict me.

So to vote in this poll is a bit difficult, but I understand where you’re heading and if faced with the choice, I’d rather have one camera and keep photographing.

migtex
04-10-2008, 14:47
Everything starts with one... and while you have only one.. it still much better than none... and go from there...
Nikon S with 3.5 f2.5 and 5cm 1.4 and I'm done..

raid
04-10-2008, 16:44
I would keep the M3 or M6 and the Summicron 50/2. A super camera outfit.

David R Munson
04-10-2008, 19:42
I am glad to see the results of this poll at a ratio of 20:1 in favor of giving up collecting to keep on shooting. Heartening. :)

If film were to cease to exist, I'd still keep shooting. It's making images that's important to me - ultimately how and with what I do it is wholly secondary to the fact THAT I do it.

rxmd
04-11-2008, 03:45
How am I supposed to give up photography if I can continue to have lots of cameras around?

raid
04-23-2008, 09:38
The idea is to decide whether collecting is a stronger factor than making photographs.