PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to pass the RF?

st3ph3nm
02-15-2005, 23:10
Sorry guys,

I've been really really busy, and not here at all over the last week or more.

I've had a good look at my Konica C35, and it's kaput, I fear. So someone else will have to provide the camera. That said, if anyone wants a Konica C35 with a bent lens (it won't focus closer than 1 meter, and you can't get the aperture ring to "auto"), then it's free to a good home. I haven't tried batteries in it yet, but shutter seems to work and the viewfinder and rf seem pretty clear. Keep in mind, though, that I'm in Australia, and I can't at this point afford to foot the postage bill OS. Hey Kris, maybe you still wanna post photos here for a bit while you wait for the M? :)

But my real reason for the post: what's happening with the project? Have we decided on a format? Has the camera started it's journey?

cheers,
Steve

Pherdinand
02-16-2005, 01:54
No it did not.
It should, though!
We decided about one camera all around the world, and one full roll per person of his/her favourite negative, selecting the frame he likes the most.

About the camera, should be one that is no problem if getting lost, i would say - both for the owner and for the project. Therefore i offer the followings:

I have a canonet ql17 gIII here with fresh light seals and fresh zinc/air battery ready to go. All works fine on it, rf cleaned and adjusted too. A sloppy hardcase from a canonet 28 i have can be attached, i think.

I also have a minolta hi-matic 9, a bigger camera but same great quality (some say even better), same condition, battery can migrate into it from the canonet. No case.

I also have a yashica GSN with battery, case, great condition, used it recently with great results. GSN's have no manual mode, though, so you'll have to cheat with the ISO setting (doable, since it goes from 25 to 1000 !!!).

If we decide upon one of these, i will run a final test roll to make sure it's okay and to have my contribution, and i will send it out to my nearest neighbour who subscribed.

The canonet would be preferred for its relatively smaller size (although the weight is about the same I think).

Of course the previous offers on the cameras are also fine with me! just let's start the ball rolling.

On the itinerary, i could make a very fast planning based on the list of subscription here on RFF, optimizing the distances (which is not the same as optimizing the price and delivery time, i know). Some folks will also be not available, like Remy is in Mongolia right now...so i'll contact everyone about it.

Well?

taffer
02-16-2005, 02:06
I apologize for not being very active on this but even though I was thinking that the end of my exams would leave me more free time, things are not quite that way :(
I also like the 1 camera - 1 roll per person - 1 pic for roll idea, as for the camera, the Canonet has many numbers mainly for its 'cult' status now and that losing it would not be the end (how many canonets around?), but if somebody has a relative at Zeiss or Hasselblad, the ZI idea is not a bad one :)

Meakin
02-16-2005, 02:25
I'm still ready to go ,

Maybe we could have a "pass the camera" forum here on RFF, so all communication regarding it could go there ?

Cheers,

Meakin

thmk
02-16-2005, 02:31
I'd vote for the Canonet, too. It is really a camera easy to be replaced in the worst case. Getting things rolling with a manufacturer would consume too much time I think.

rover
02-16-2005, 02:46
I think, like the RFF book project, this one needs a champion. Someone has to make the list that Pherdi is talking about and get the camera rolling. Also, enough polls and votes. Opinions are nice, but decisions are needed. Go with the Canonet, one roll per person, film of their choice. Put camera and copy of the routing list in a box and get the camera on its way.

Sorry, where I work the management is a bunch of indecisive boobs. It is amazing they can make any money. I take solace in the knowledge that I go in every day, work hard and amaze them by just making good decisions and getting my work done. Maybe I am grumpy this morning too.

rover
02-16-2005, 03:52
Oh, and we do have a community gmail email account, the one we are using for the book project. Gene set it up, so I would want to make sure it is ok with him, but that can be used for correspondence for this poject too. We can just provide the password to the appropriate person who is in charge.

Kris
02-16-2005, 04:48
Hey Steve, not being able to focus closer than 1m doesn't sound too bad. Worse will be not being able to focus anything beyond 1m :D

I have one nearly exhausted LR44 battery so it may work fine on the C35 since the voltage is around 1.3V. Lets see if we can meet up again pretty soon.

BTW, a bit off topic, I finally developed this XP2 I shot on Australia Day. My impression is still the same: somehow XP2 result looks dull to me. Also, combination of high temperature, low light, slow shutter speed and strong beer doesn't make good pictures. :D

st3ph3nm
02-16-2005, 18:33
Pherdi, they're your cameras, you choose!

That said, I've always wanted to try out a Canonet! :)

As for a place to organise this, perhaps the various threads on this matter could be grouped into the "projects" forum?

Pherdi, feel free to PM me if you want a hand organising an itinerary for the camera. I'll have a look at the poll in the meantime and start a basic list.

Kris, PM me for ideas on getting together. The C35 is yours. I'm working over the weekend. If you like you could even visit me at work and pick up the camera from there.

Cheers,
Steve

back alley
02-16-2005, 18:43
Oh, and we do have a community gmail email account, the one we are using for the book project. Gene set it up, so I would want to make sure it is ok with him, but that can be used for correspondence for this poject too. We can just provide the password to the appropriate person who is in charge.

i happen to have access to another 50 gmail accounts if we need one.
joe

back alley
02-16-2005, 18:46
As for a place to organise this, perhaps the various threads on this matter could be grouped into the "projects" forum?

this one's moved.
joe

o0dano0o
02-16-2005, 19:27
i have a fed 5 that a friend broke the rewind knob on. I just don't have the time to deal with it.

anyone want it for this project? you could just rewind the film in the dark... or fix it. looks like a set screw came off or something.

oh and I have gmail addys if you need them.

o0dano0o
02-16-2005, 19:30
mm also have a ricoh 35 at home in the basement.

i fix the shutter, it works for a day, then stops. any one want it?

i've been gettin rid of stuff lately.

CleverName
02-16-2005, 20:07
At one point there was a thread where members left their addresses for somebody to figure out the camera route once all the people signed up.
I don't remember who's thread it was or even if I signed up.

Has anyone volunteered to organize this thing?

Pherdinand
02-17-2005, 02:37
OK then I volunteer now, together with Steve who offered himself above, to make the list.
And I also consider the decision with the canonet ql17 gIII. I won't miss him anyway, didn't see much use since i got him. AND, it will be an honour to have it back after all the participants used it! if he survives of course :)

Please check the subscription thread and subscribe ASAP (=yesterday!) if you can't find yourself there!!!

Some people inevitably will have to pay more for the shipping, since we have participants from all over the world. Obviously, sending the camera from A to B within Melbourne will cost much less than sending it from Melbourne to Sweden, as an example. I hope nobody has a problem with that...
We (me or Steve) will send a PM to every participant with the list and ask for exact addresses too. I suppose we should keep them private from the non-participants...we have to trust each other on that, however. Please reply to that PM as soon as possible.

When I send the canonet out, i will pack it in non-disintegrating reusable packing material (rubber foam e g.) of which we have plenty here, for free. Try to open the package in a way that it can be reused as many times as possible.

An online "rff-members-around-the-world"-type map with pins would be great - everybody can put his pin in when he/she finished and sent the camera, to keep track. Anybody knows how that can be done?

Finally, a selfish addition: I liked the idea of engraving our name on the camera, and I would love to have a Canonet with such engravings, so I would ask every participant to do it for me, on the base or top plate, lens barrel, wherever where it does not interfere with the camera's functionality... Just with your hands and a sharp thing (or whatever method you have), and preferably with your RFF name. THANKS! :D

I wish good luck to the whole project.

oftheherd
02-17-2005, 04:41
OK then I volunteer now, together with Steve who offered himself above, to make the list.

An online "rff-members-around-the-world"-type map with pins would be great - everybody can put his pin in when he/she finished and sent the camera, to keep track. Anybody knows how that can be done?

The original map was in this thread by Rich Silfver at http://pub20.bravenet.com/guestmap/view.php?usernum=1637362376 and if anyone wants to set up a map just for this project, it could be done at their signup and just PM'd (to prevent inadvertant posting by well meaning but computer challenged people who visit the RFF) to the members of the project. The signup is at http://www.bravenet.com/signup/signup.php .

Pherdinand
02-17-2005, 05:02
oftheherd - you are somehow NOT on the signup list. Not yet, or not anymore since that crash. I guess you DO want to participate...?

digitalox
07-11-2005, 17:23
How's the project going, is it dead? Looks like the last entry to the map is from May.

--
Scott

Pherdinand
07-12-2005, 02:03
Yeah. Oscar and Roberto... PLEASE MARK THE MAP ! It's here (http://www.camerafool.com/6901.html) . :)

Pherdinand
07-12-2005, 02:05
By the way, it was great fun yesterday, when I looked up every participant's location on the satellite images with Google Earth. For some folks I have found even the street address - like the canadians where the zip codes refer to very small regions, apparently.

Cool to put it in a "show" as well:)

taffer
07-12-2005, 02:11
Hey ! :)

The camera is leaving today and will be heading north to meet Marcelo. And well, the instructions said to mark the map ONCE the camera has been sent :D

And it's true, you can google-earth my house !

Oscar

Pherdinand
07-12-2005, 02:13
OK, you have your excuse oscar:D
Where's your house? (coordinates...)
StBoi i've found already;) but the street names are a bit screwed up, i think.

Roman
07-12-2005, 02:17
Dang, that Google program does not run on my ancient computer (some graphics card problem...) - too bad...

Roman

taffer
07-12-2005, 02:23
here i am ! :D

Mike Richards
07-12-2005, 03:06
Tried several times to mark the map. It always returns "missing information." Mac OSX & Safari. Any ideas?

Pherdinand
07-12-2005, 03:15
I guess it's some wicked refresh-type issue, Mike. You definitely are on it.

Taffer - is this a bullfighting arena? Where are the bulls???:D
i've found it in Cordoba.

Pherdinand
07-12-2005, 03:16
The whole thing looks a bit like the computer game Caesar. But the idea that it's the real stuff gives the extra kick. Few colleagues of mine said they hate me, why did i show them LOL (i did warn them that it's addictive)

digitalox
07-12-2005, 19:38
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to it, maybe by the time it gets here I'll have caught with this growing pile of film to develop!

taffer
07-13-2005, 02:05
Pherdi, I think it's a prototype for the new soccer stadiums, they discovered they could much improve the dynamism of the players by using lions and tigers as well :D

Mike Richards
07-13-2005, 04:43
Hey:)

Mike, you're on there already!! :cool:

ManGo

Duuuuhhhh. I had the map zoomed to much when I checked. Looks ok on wider zooms and has me placed in Germany about right. Zoomed in 3 times, and I ended up in Genoa, Italy.