PDA

View Full Version : Need help with photo project ideas

Creagerj
02-17-2007, 19:57
I need help coming up with an idea of what to shoot for my final project in my college photography class. My project can pretty much be anything, but I don't have any ideas. I need a project that can produce 14 or so prints. The only thing I know for sure about my project is that I will be shooting hp5 at 800 and using my nikon f3. You can look at my gallery to see some of the things I have shot in the past if you want. I just don't have any ideas an I need some kind of theme to guide my work. Any theme suggestions would be very helpful.

sf
02-17-2007, 21:16
Gosh...in Ellensburg, you've got a pretty narrow range of options. Out there at which college? I forgot which one was in Ellensburg.

I'd love to offer you something creative, but I have all the creativity of a tapeworm.

Maybe 14 images that sum up the essence of Ellensburg? That would be really...banal.

14 portraits of professors in the meat of their craft. Math professors teaching math, philosophy professors being philosophical. Capture that on film, and you've got it.

14 images of yourself producing 14 images of nothing. 14 images of some inanimate object that is slightly affected by time and environment. Maybe a gas station or a piece of trash on the street over 14 hours, one each hour.

oh...here's a good one: 14 self portraits taken over a period of 14 hours. You'd have to sit in the chair (only leaving to use the restroom) for 14 hours straight (making sure NOT to give yourself a blood clot), and set the camera up with a remote release, or a cable or something. I foresee a funny progression of physical evidence that you hate the chair.

I am not creative.

good luck.

jano
02-17-2007, 21:41
How about a play with long exposures under different phases of the moon? Would take at least four weeks. If film, I'd recommend something other than hp5.

You can also try some still life stuff, variations on a theme with this could include light painting, seasonality, etc.

Body parts could be another theme.

How about a gross theme? Or something repetitious, showing sequence? Or chose a color? Facial expressions? Elements of matter? States of matter?

Life is full of wonderful things :)

Doug
02-17-2007, 21:47
Hi Joe-- The T-bird photo in your gallery (1958-59 or so I guess) looks like a long-ago crashed personal craft from Star Wars... :) Maybe you'd like to do something with cars as a theme, say restored or in the process of restoration. Some possibilities for the human element (proud owner, craftsman, etc) if desired, or textures, curves, details and such.

If that appeals, you might look up Allen Faltus who has an impressive collection. Good contact point anyway... One of the original partners of University Motors (his side was the Chysler/Plymouth line), and he may now be retired from active participation, don't know. But there's quite a bunch of classic car & hotrod buffs in this area that might offer some possibilities for your project. Good luck!

Diggin99
02-17-2007, 22:58
Ok I am alseep right noww so this idea may be just all wrong but, it came to me when I saw your ceramic chef shot. How about something a little old school, posed portraits that do not look posed. So have some who looks like a chef stoll by that ceramic chef. Any way, you probably have friends who don't mind helping you out, take them and place them in ways that don't make it seem like you are posing the shots. Anyway I am off back to sleep. Good luck,

Nancy

Creagerj
02-18-2007, 20:29
Thanks for the advice, bump.