PDA

View Full Version : Do you dream about cameras?

sbug
02-15-2007, 07:39
Last night I had a dream that when I got to the end of a roll of film in my Canonet, I wound it again and the camera broke apart and was unrepairable. I was distraught. I woke up and thought, gee... maybe I'm thinking about this stuff just a bit too much. Has this happened to anyone else?

Nachkebia
02-15-2007, 07:44
Yes I do! but before I bought Leica, even after zeiss ikon I used to dream about Leica :D German marketing :D

tajart
02-15-2007, 07:52
every now and then. and it just seems so strange.

trittium
02-15-2007, 07:57
Dreams are my only escape from cameras!

bkrystad
02-15-2007, 08:37
I just have nightmares about shipping. I'm waiting for one right now and dreamed last night that the seller sent it USPS by merely putting a stamp on the back of the case. Cold sweats.

back alley
02-15-2007, 08:40
not that i recall.

SolaresLarrave
02-15-2007, 09:03
There was a time when I had dreams about cameras I had, and about cameras I didn't have. Once I satisfied all my gear "needs", the dreams stopped.

Weird, huh? For a while I was sincerely worried about my mental health... Now, I don't care. But then, I haven't dreamed about cameras lately either! :)

PhotoGeek
02-15-2007, 09:44
I'm glad I'm not the only one!
-peter

bmicklea
02-15-2007, 09:48
I don't think I dream about cameras, anyway I don't remember dreaming about them. But something more disturbing happens to me lately: In order to go to sleep I have to think about lenses and cameras and films and developers. Kinda like counting sheep. (And so I voted for the daydream option).

I'm the same, but it is worse after I eat spicy food so I chose the second option. In my case it seems to be that I spend time before falling asleep re-prioritizing my GAS urges based on the various threads/pictures I've looked at during the day...

Wait, that means I can blame all of you! Perfect!

kmack
02-15-2007, 09:55
Nope, most of my dreams involve attempting to recursively loop a four dimentional array of scalar data into a square matrix to calculate all possible determinants.

shadowfox
02-16-2007, 10:27
I think I have dreamed about cameras, not necessarily the ones I have, though. I think this is normal because most of dreams (except those God have chosen to relay a message or two) will often consist of whatever occupies your mind during the day.

So a lot of us RFFers who think about cameras all day long (oh c'mon, admit it ;) ) will have a slip in or two in our dreams about... what else?

bobkonos
02-16-2007, 11:39
Funny this should come up today, as last night I did sort of dream about a camera I found on craigslist last night. While surfing around, I found a Leica M6 TTL in the box with all papers, and attached to it a 50mm F2 Summicron lens in black with a vented hood. The photos showed a beautiful outfit...for $1200 complete. Yes, that's right...$1200 complete. The explanation talked about how this had no marks or nicks, only had 15 rolls through it, this had to be sold, owner was a pharmacist and had no time to use it, it was her baby so it must go to a good home, serious inquires only, and she was on vacation but could accept a bank card as payment. Hmmm...a little fishy but worth an email to confirm. I went to bed and thought/dreamt about this sweet deal. M6 and Summicron for that price.Today I see that my email could not be delivered...and I imagine it was a scam. But it was a sweet dream anyway.

Sleep tight...

smileyguy
02-16-2007, 12:25
Oh yeah! Best one yet was dreaming about a Canon 200mm f2.8 L lens (not even sure if those exact specs exist even) for my EOS3. Sorry no RF dreams as of yet.

ChrisPlatt
02-16-2007, 16:15
I daydream about cameras, photography, free time, perfect light
and weather, and a renewed creative spark every night at work. :) :(

Chris

sepiareverb
02-16-2007, 16:41
Strangely I can't remember ever having a camera dream, now a guitar dream, yes...

mw_uio
02-16-2007, 17:51
I am dreaming of a Canon F1-N /AE Finder / with a 24/F1.4 and fly to Ciudad de Mexico with a carry on only!

mike goldberg
02-16-2007, 18:25
Yes! I've had several dreams about being in situations, and my camera was not available. Like... I'm in a square, and there are Slovakian soldiers. There's really some good pictures here, an my camera is upstairs in my room :o
mike

reagan
02-16-2007, 19:07
Oooookay, this is a little strange. *eerie music in background* I had a dream last night about a camera. Worse, it was a nightmare that woke me up since (A) it was about a non-RF digital and (B) Flea-Bay was involved. It seems I had won, paid for and recieved a digital camera from Ebay. I was taking it out for a test run, but when I turned it on, a message came up on the review screen that said someone else had bid higher and I had to send more money or return it. *crawls under bed*

reagan
02-16-2007, 19:08
I also had pizza last night. :o

Pablito
02-16-2007, 19:30
I dream about photographing all the time, It's what I DO with my life. Cameras are a peripheral part of the dreams but they are always, there. Not specific cameras. though. But sometimes I dream about losing them - leaving the camera bag somewhere, etc. Or having the camera literally fall apart as I'm trying to use it.

fotosniper
02-16-2007, 20:24
If Salma Hayek is a camera..then ok...yep.. I dream about cameras!

Keith
02-20-2007, 18:18
I dreamed that Reagan attacked me with a Zorki ... have you ever noticed how often in his threads the suggestion of a Zorki being used as a missile or weapon comes up? :confused: Any day I'm expecting a bizarre headline to come from the US about some crazed pastor attacking one of his flock with a camera! :D :D :D

pvdhaar
02-22-2007, 06:12
A couple of years ago, I decided to log every dream I could remember each morning for a period of a year. The weird thing is, that 8 years later, I can still recall all the dreams that I logged.

In that one year period, I had 3 dreams where a real photo camera (a black Konica Hexar by the way) played a significant role.. and one where I dreamed up an imaginary Leica digital P&S...

As far as what the others were about, I rather keep that to myself.. :D

RayPA
02-25-2007, 14:16
I'm sure I have, but I don't remember. So, I voted for daydream only, becauuse I've certainly done my share of THAT!

good one, Scott!

:)

PetarDima
02-25-2007, 14:48
yes, I have many dreams about cameras :rolleyes:
it was Leica, than, I had dreams about Bessa + 4omm f:1.4 lenses, now,
all dreams about cameras are same: parallax correction on body+speed lenses.

Ash
02-25-2007, 14:52
yep a few times. last dream was the night/morning before the leica arrived. I dreamt it was broken. hah!

arbib
02-25-2007, 15:07
I might have a few dreams a month...
Non with or about camera's that I remember
I daydream a lot about owning a CV R4a, Leica M6 or M7 EOS 5D, EOS 1v

Voted "Daydream"

RML
02-25-2007, 22:07
Usually I don't but last night I was dreaming about an odd moel R-D1 I found in a rummage bin. It said R-D2, was made of plastic, filled with algae like it was dregded up from the river, and had a chunk missing from the body. I held it in my hands and stared at it in amazement. That was before I threw it back in the rummage bin, having decided it was a toy. :p

Let me know if you can make heads or tails of it. :D

MichaelB
02-25-2007, 22:38
I was dreaming about a wonderful M6. But when the dslr told it "Luke, I am your..." I woke up. Nightmare... ;)

lubitel
03-05-2007, 02:24
my weirdest camera dream was dreaming about a red Fed2, ... but it was a rare fed2 SLR!!!!!!

rbsinto
03-05-2007, 03:52
Nope. I only dream about sex.
But once I dreamt about having sex with a beautiful girl who owned a black SP with an s36 drive and a 50mm f1.1 with original shade.

varjag
03-05-2007, 04:27
Nope. I only dream about sex.
But once I dreamt about having sex with a beautiful girl who owned a black SP with an f36 drive and a 50mm f1.1 with original shade.
Hope it was on a wrist strap..

fraley
03-10-2007, 00:28
The other night I dreamed that I came home and my next door neighbor was in my living room. She looked at me sheepishly and I saw that there were a group of people in the room. She was selling my camera collection to them. I woke up screaming...

dagabel
03-16-2007, 16:44
Last night was my first. So in real life I don't currently have a working rangefinder, and I have about $400 to spend. I've been debating between a Bessa T or some kind of Leica III with the CV 35mm/2.5C vs. an MF setup.

Last night I dreamt that I was in one of those bargain-type Big Lot discount stores looking at both the Leica and the Bessa. As I handled the Leica, the film advance just deteriorated under my fingertips, so I set it aside. I then looked at the T, and it was brand new on sale for $55.

Is it a sign?

Duane

bsdunek
03-16-2007, 17:32
Maybe more about photography than just cameras. When I used to do a lot of weddings, I had a few dreams where things went south. I used a Mamiya Super 23, and I would do the whole wedding with the dark slide in, or without film. Or I would end up with a blank roll of film (probably because I left the dark slide in!). :cool:

FrankS
04-07-2007, 15:27
I had the first dream last night involving cameras that I can remember. I was watching (from a higher vantage point) a wedding photographer who was using a Mamiya 330 with flash bracket and flash bulbs. He was directing a large wedding party including children, all on or around a bicycle on a road. He had them ride towards him while he was walking backwards and taking pictures. Then everyone tripped and fell. I raised the Nikon 801s hanging around my neck, removed the lens cap of the AF Nikkor 50 f1.8 and took a picture of the spectacle. The members of the wedding party were very unhappy with the wedding photographer. Weird. Why wasn't I using a RF?

erikhaugsby
04-22-2007, 20:24
Weird. Why wasn't I using a RF?

Because you mistook a nightmare for a dream :D.

I've never night-dreamed about cameras that I remember, though I have daydreamed about many a film-eater during some of my "lesser" school classes.

nobbylon
04-27-2007, 11:24
yes funny this came up today! I was dreaming about a summilux 35 last night but i think most of mine are worry dreams about making the right choice! have been arguing in my head all week about selling my leica R's and lenses and just sticking with the M6.
Dont seem to use anything else but cant bare to part with them!!! definately a nightmare!!! Anybody looking for a mint late number R8 and summicron 35? sleep well!!!

Stephanie Brim
04-27-2007, 12:31
Sometimes.

I once had a dream that I was the proud owner of some sort of a folding large format camera that looked suspiciously like a Speed Graphic.

Ming The Merciless
04-27-2007, 12:42
On occasion I do have a dream about a camera or cameras. I also dream of tobacco Pipes (I used to collect them) women, & my dear cats. Not necessessarily in that order though.

NIKON KIU
04-27-2007, 14:35
Hey Scott,
where is "I dream about camera I don't have" option?:D :D :eek:

Kiu

NIKON KIU
04-27-2007, 14:38
I had the first dream last night involving cameras that I can remember. I was watching (from a higher vantage point) a wedding photographer who was using a Mamiya 330 with flash bracket and flash bulbs. He was directing a large wedding party including children, all on or around a bicycle on a road. He had them ride towards him while he was walking backwards and taking pictures. Then everyone tripped and fell. I raised the Nikon 801s hanging around my neck, removed the lens cap of the AF Nikkor 50 f1.8 and took a picture of the spectacle. The members of the wedding party were very unhappy with the wedding photographer. Weird.

What did you have for dinner that night?:D
My first real Nikon was N8008

Kiu

rich815
04-27-2007, 14:56
I often scan a roll or a few frames of MF just before bed. Then once in bed I read a book for a few minutes til I get drowsy. Then lights out, fluff the pillow, snuggle in, and then go over in my mind that night's scans, think about how they worked, how they didn't, which film I used, the developer, did that combo work, how did the camera perform, the lighting, the lens.......and then before I know it.......ZZZZzzzzzzzz

bgb
05-08-2011, 20:38
In this dream i was setting up a large format camera which is odd as i have never used a large format camera ... anyway i could not get the silly thing in focus and the movements were all messed up and the dark cover thing kept getting in the way, add to that i could not figure how the film holders went into the back. Basically a complete mess as the all the good light and any hope of an image slipped away.
I would really like to try large format but that dream might just come true :bang:

bayusuputra
05-08-2011, 22:42
i just had it last night.. I opened up my mailbox (in my dream) and it was full of camera accessories, including some holgas and BBFs.. Was quite excited until i realized it was just a dream.. I think it's because i've been waiting for the light meter and step up ring to arrive since two weeks ago.. :mad:

bizarrius
05-09-2011, 02:07
i dream of removing the vulcanite,
changing lenses.
I even dream of putting the lens on the tripod mount.

(too politically incorrect? sorry :D )

TaoPhoto
05-09-2011, 04:49
I have camera related dreams every now and again. Usually they're either about equipment that I'm thinking of buying or just bought, or they are about being unprepared in some way. I had one the other night that I was shooting an event, a wedding I think, when I found that I had no film in my camera, and that the camera had no back, and that the lens was falling off.

I had another that I was in the trenches in WWI, camera in hand with a big flash bulb gun attached, and I kept trying to take a picture of the battle. But every time I fired the flash, a bomb exploded nearby, almost killing us. After a couple of tries, the guys in the trench wouldn't let me shoot any more pictures.

Weird stuff, those dreams.

Roberto V.
05-09-2011, 04:58
I can remember three dreams about cameras.
In the first one, I had a screwmount Canon RF, looked like a P or L1, with a 50mm f/1.2. for some reason, I just knew they were the best camera and lens that money could buy. It was a fact.
Second one: I was at home depot buying stuff, when I walk into an aisle, and spot a bunch of cameras on the bottom shelf. They were all Canon EOS SLRs. They were all in mint condition, and one was brand new in the box. They had actual Canon model names, Like EOS 5 and EOS 3, but they were completely different cameras. They were the perfect SLRs, with anything one could ever wish for. And the most expensive one was $30! I drove to the bank to withdraw a lot of money to buy them all, and then I woke up :(
In the third dream I had a Konica Hexar RF and a Zeiss Planar 50mm ZM in the bookcase where I keep my cameras.

pixelatedscraps
05-09-2011, 06:09
Similar to Mike with the dreams about not having a camera in the right moment...I have also had the kid in the candy store dream where I look up and around me and all I see are shelves of gleaming film cameras...

Aauuwwwrrhhh.

ChrisPlatt
05-09-2011, 06:41
I can't recall any sleeping camera dreams. I don't remember most of my dreams.
But at work nearly every night I find myself daydreaming about my Bessa R.
In the past it was my Canon P; before that my Konica Auto S2.
No doubt RFF is to blame... :bang:

Chris

crawdiddy
05-09-2011, 12:17
Yeah, but only about Nikons, and never wet dreams anyway :)

Sorry, but somebody had to say it.