PDA

View Full Version : My 1st FSU camera..Zorki 4 K...questions

kafrf
02-08-2005, 09:06
My first FSU camera arrived today, after much delay, a lovely looking Zorki 4K, Jupiter 8, w/case.

Now, I know the warnings about winding the shutter before changing speeds. What I need, before I touch anything on the camera, is a good diagram of the controls. The shutter speed knob has two knurled discs...one lower and larger, one upper and smaller. Their functions appear obvious, but I don't want to make any mistakes.

So, any links to manuals and/or good advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Ken

matu
02-08-2005, 09:16
Hi Ken, try google for the manual or visit Alfred's Camera page
http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/zorki4k/index.htm

Dont be afraid of playing with it, I havn't done any harm to it even when I've change speed without cocking the shutter.

Pablo

sockeyed
02-08-2005, 09:25
I believe that the lower knob has something to do with the timing of the flash sync, from the days when there were bulbs, etc. I would find out which setting is for electronic flash and just leave it there.

kafrf
02-08-2005, 09:30
It appears to be set for X sync, since the black dot on the top plate is aligned with the "X" on the lower knob. So, for now I'll just leave it.

Ken

I believe that the lower knob has something to do with the timing of the flash sync, from the days when there were bulbs, etc. I would find out which setting is for electronic flash and just leave it there.

kafrf
02-08-2005, 09:33
Thanks, I missed this one! I did find Rothery's site, but the diagrams for the Zorki 4K were not clear enough for me.

Here is one freebie.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/zorki/zorki.htm

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-08-2005, 10:46
Dont be afraid of playing with it, I havn't done any harm to it even when I've change speed without cocking the shutter.

Pablo

There are those who like to live dangerously. But I wouldn't do this. Most websites with information about Zorki or Fed contain the warning against this, and at least three such cameras of mine arrived from the FSU with instruction not to change speeds without cocking first. Unfortunately, I didn't read the first set of instructions which came with a Fed 5B. That camera is only now only used as "art".

Senor Pablo, you are a very lucky man.

doubs43
02-08-2005, 10:55
I second KZ's warning; don't change shutter speeds until you've cocked the shutter! I recently purchased a Zorki-4 from a member here and the shutter was jammed because he had changed speeds while the camera was uncocked. It was part of a package deal that included a MIR version of the Zorki-4 and the MIR works just fine.

It's easier to develope the good habit of changing speeds only after cocking the shutter than it is to repair the camera. :)

Walker

matu
02-08-2005, 11:06
Oops I've been a bad boy.
I didn't want to risk somene else equipment. I'm tryng to find where I read about it, not being dangerous, but can't find it now.
Based in my short experience I find it a very strong camera, and If the manual tell's not to do it, It might be for some reason, I just wanted to state that isn't so delicate as they put it in the manual.
Thanks for the warning Krasnaya.

Pablo

Ok, I found where I read about not making harm to the shutter.
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-131.html

kafrf
02-08-2005, 11:30
Thanks, folks....

I exercised commonsense and followed the instructions. Cock the shutter first, then set shutter speed.

Everything is working fine, and I just loaded a roll of film.

Ken

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-08-2005, 14:50
Ok, I found where I read about not making harm to the shutter.
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-131.html

Rick Oleson certainly knows what he's talking about, and reading the info at this link does indicate that the cameras without slow speeds won't be damaged--- but I'm sticking with Walter on this one. I wouldn't take the chance.

pshinkaw
03-04-2005, 13:52
I just received a Zorki-4 from Russia. The shutter speed dial is jammed on 1/4 sec. although the actual speed seems to be considerably higher, at least 1/125 sec. This seems to be a more severe version of what I have experienced when the shutter speed is changed before cocking the shutter. When I have done it myself, the jamming was easier to clear. This one will require a tear-down.

Of course it could have gotten jammed some other way...

-Paul

Bob_McBob
03-04-2005, 16:18
I can't say anything about the Zorki and Fed cameras, but having taken apart a Kiev, I can say for certain that setting the shutter speed before winding the film advance won't do anything to the shutter mechanism. It can however cause the shutter to fire at a speed other than the one you selected, so I wouldn't generally recommend it.