PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Camera around the world #2 - What film?

Pherdinand
02-05-2005, 10:01
As title says. Please do not vote if you are not willing to participate.
Check out also poll #1 here: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3197
which decided that a RF should be sent around the whole world.

Pherdinand
02-05-2005, 10:20
If you have a problem buying locally one of the films on the poll list, please complain here!

digitalox
02-05-2005, 10:40
I have to ponder this for a while. On the one it is more interesting to pick one film. It gives the piece even more synthesis, and challenges the photog to go against the grain (ha ha) and try to distinguish his/her picture(s).

On the other hand I want everyone to be able to take their best shot, but everyone is accustomed to different films.

GeneW
02-05-2005, 10:46
Let's make this different from shipping around a digital camera that comes with one and only one sensor. One of the great things about film is that there is CHOICE! I vote let each photographer choose her or his favourite.

digitalox
02-05-2005, 10:49
True, that's an interesting point Gene.

Gordon Coale
02-05-2005, 10:58
I voted for Each of us with his/her favourite. It solves the availability problem and lets each of us use a film we are confortable with and know how to use. If someone is used to color they won't be comfortable with black and white. It also solves the film processing problem. Use what you have and can easily process or get processed.

FrankS
02-05-2005, 12:22
You guys are pretty smart! Can I change my vote?

taffer
02-05-2005, 12:50
I also voted for each one favorite. Let's face it, one of the greatest things here resides in the difference between members, please don't kill that :)

Gordon Coale
02-05-2005, 13:33
We're different?

taffer
02-05-2005, 14:16
Well, I'd say so, safe for those GAS attacks, that is... :p OTH, if we could get, let's say, Fuji coming in as a sponsor and providing enough Neopan 400... :)

CleverName
02-05-2005, 14:37
If everybody uses a film they are comfortable with we might end up with better photos:)

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-05-2005, 15:40
I voted for Kodak C41 BW, but I don't really care what film it is. As I have stated previously, I think we should use just one film. If the vote goes otherwise, that's fine, that's what a vote is for, right? As long as this is not being tabulated by some Deibold machine in Ohio, I'm happy.

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-05-2005, 17:29
I should point out that the way the poll is structured, you need >50% to select "Each of us with his/her favourite" for that to be the valid selection. Otherwise you have a vote that chooses just one film, however that one film has not yet been decided upon.

digitalox
02-05-2005, 21:16
I guess I have to go with each chooses his/her film.

digitalox
02-05-2005, 21:18
Frank, to change your vote I think you have to let the thread starter know, or maybe even Jorge. I wonder how hard it would be to make this editable. Doesn't make sense that we don't rights to change our own vote.

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-05-2005, 21:24
Oh yes, just what we need, another *[email protected]&+% poll!

But before we have another poll, I think we should have a poll about what system we should have, cos here in good ol' Blighty it's first past the post, so you don't need an absolute majority, just the majority share.

Regards

ManGo

To clarify: if the poll had stated "Should we use one film only, or should each be able to choose their own", it would currently be 64% for "Choose one film only".
The votes for choosing one film are split between different choices, whereas "choose your own" are lumped together. The poll as structured is misleading.

rbiemer
02-05-2005, 22:03
I had to think about this one a bit. As much as I like and shoot B&W films, I agree that the camera should be the common thread to this. So my vote is each photogs choice of film.
Rob

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-05-2005, 22:30
I'll make one more statement on this, then I'll shut up (maybe). :bang:
ONE VARIABLE. Only one variable. "Pass the camera". We all shoot under the same circumstance, if we could all meet in the same physical space, there would be no question, we would PASS THE CAMERA from hand to hand, each would have ONE SHOT with the the film that is in the camera. We are attempting to replicate that on a global scale, no? We must limit the variables, otherwise the project loses its meaning.

digitalox
02-05-2005, 23:10
Even if we were to all meet in one place, we would still have the same discussion because everyone has their favorite film. And if we did meet up all in one place, this proj. wouldn't be near as interesting no matter what the film choice.

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-05-2005, 23:36
:bang:
I give up.

aizan
02-06-2005, 02:47
hehe, it's come down to either one variable or one constant!

Pherdinand
02-06-2005, 06:31
Obviously, if there are, say, 80% of the votes distributed between all sort of different films on the list, that means more points for the "each of us with his/her favourite". That's why i chose XP2 myself, i think it is the perfect film for this project! :D
So far that's the leader anyway.
(By the way I kinda agree with Krasnaya, but that's just me, one of the many.)
Sorry i started it but i have no powers to change votes (i think).

Pherdinand
02-06-2005, 06:38
Well, democracy is built purely on tolerance. So, I will be glad to accept any outcome of this poll, of course!
Come on, guys, this is supposed to be done for fun, not to cause headache to anyone! The polls IMO are just to optimize the whole process.