PDA

View Full Version : XA correct operation or needs repair?

DaveInDenver
01-29-2007, 07:24
I recently bought an XA to carry around, mostly in the backpack when riding and skiing. I ran a couple of rolls of film through it and things look fine, but this is the first XA or derivative that I've used and I'm wondering if my camera needs repair or not.

I thread the film into the camera's take-up reel (Part 2 in the attached photo) and it does not pull across until I push the film down onto the teeth (Part 1 in the attached photo). It seems there's not enough tension for the take-up reel to actually pull the film out of the canister by itself, although it does seem to roll the film enough to let me roll a full 36 exposures through the camera. Does that make sense and is my camera broken?

Solinar
01-29-2007, 07:46
Part 1 - the sprockets are what pull the film out of the cannister. The take up spool is a fairly loose fit on most modern cameras.

Trius
01-29-2007, 08:03
That is normal operation for the XA.

DaveInDenver
01-29-2007, 08:34
Cool, I'll just keep using it and be happy. Just seemed more touchy compared to my other cameras, an M3 and an FM3a. On this XA I have to actually hold the film down against the teeth to make it advance, the take-up itself does not have enough strength to pull the film. I guess there's only so much room inside that tiny case that they didn't want too much torque on the take-up, which might mean potentially broken gears and stuff.