PDA

View Full Version : the classifieds: best offer?

sf
01-20-2007, 03:50
Should users be forced to set a price when listing items in the classifieds?

Currently, it is legitimate to ask for a "best offer".

rover
01-20-2007, 03:58
I believe this is the default if you do not enter a price.

sf
01-20-2007, 04:04
I believe this is the default if you do not enter a price.

yes, if you enter "0", I think, but my interest is to see how people think of this option. I have seen a strong tendency in one direction in my conversations here on RFF, but I'll leave my opinions and conclusions out of this.

rover
01-20-2007, 04:13
It clearly would make things easier if a price was set by the seller. Some offer a price in their description, perhaps to be confident they are listing a price in the correct currency.

sherm
01-20-2007, 07:40
Multiple Best Offers = Auction to me

Sounds like you'd be more inclined to EvilBay

Just a thought............

Pablito
01-20-2007, 07:45
Agree with sherm. My personal preference would be: set a price. If a seller wants to get the "best offer", take it to the bay. I have no problem with a seller posting a high price then lowering it if there's no action.

FrankS
01-20-2007, 07:52
I'd prefer to see a set price rather than a request for best offer.

Gray Fox
01-20-2007, 08:26
I, too, prefer a set price. But I'd also like to see something like "will be listed on the "bay" if not sold by such and such a date, if that's what the owner intends. And, I think it should be the owner's responsibility to pull the add once it has gone there., not an "it's listed there with item # xxx if you'd like to bid on it.

Pherdinand
01-20-2007, 09:17
i think it is both ways.
If the seller sets a price, the potential buyer should be offering something around that price, not much less. BUT if the seller sets "Best offer" then he is morally obliged to take ANY offer seriously, no matter how low that might be. This means a proper answer to the offer, either positive or negative.
Saying "best offer" and then complaining about a too low offer is a stupid and arrogant way of doing business, i would say.

MCTuomey
01-20-2007, 09:22
I don't like requirements, generally. As Chris points out, a seller may need the the flexibility to ask for offers if the going price can't be determined. That said, my experience is that setting a price is a more productive way to sell gear. It's seems to generate more serious interest from potential buyers. I know that I appreciate the reference point that an asking price gives me when I'm buying.

FrankS
01-20-2007, 09:28
A good compromise might be: best offer, I'm looking for around $xxx

ChrisPlatt
01-20-2007, 09:30
Saying "best offer" and then complaining about a too low offer is a stupid and arrogant way of doing business, i would say.

Who's complaining? I think it's entertaining.
Wanna hear some offers I've gotten? ;)

Chris

Steve Bellayr
01-20-2007, 12:48
When I've come across this before with anything. I offer a dollar because it is really the seller who should set the price otherwise it is an auction.

Nostalgie
01-20-2007, 12:58
I agree, "best offer" is basically an auction, I think if the seller said, "I'm looking for around $XXX, or best offer" Thats fine, then you know whats in the sellers head, and there might be a little room to negotiate. Thats just my 2 cents though.
Bryan

sherm
01-20-2007, 13:10
The only additional thing to say by my way of thinking is to just try it and see what happens. I've conducted business at RFF as both a seller and a buyer and I think it's safe to say that this is a great group of people who are fair and courteous and always try to do the right thing. I really doubt that it will be a negative experience however you decide to go....... As always just my opinion.

Scott

FrankS
01-20-2007, 13:35
It may have changed now with the growth of RFF, but back in the day,
RFF was a smaller community where we offered each other gear for sale at a lower price than could be obtained by selling on ebay auctions for whatever the market would bear. What is before us is the choice to maintain that tradition, or to go commercial. Perhaps it is too late to choose?

Nick R.
01-20-2007, 14:50
I don't mind a listing like: "$XXXX or best offer" as long as it means that once someone offers $XXXX they get it. This tells me that the seller thinks the camera is worth X amount but needs the dough and so will sell for less. When I sell something, I don't want fellow RFF members paying me more than I think the camera is worth.

back alley
01-20-2007, 15:39
if you look, and i think most of us do, there are very few ads with a 'best offer' attached to them.
and i think most of THEM have the price in the body of the ad.

JohnM
01-20-2007, 17:02
It's the seller's right to sell whatever he has for whatever he wants. It's the buyer's right to decide not to play along if he thinks the price or the procedure is not worth it. If interested, I make what I think is a realistic offer - if it's accepted, great. If not, I move on. Works well.

A far bigger issue would be having dealers or pro sellers move into the member section of the classifieds.

rbiemer
01-21-2007, 09:23
Should it be required that sellers set a price for their gear in the classifieds?
I personally prefer ads with a price but I don't think it should be required.
If I want to play in an auction, then I'll go see what's up for sale at ebay.
Rob

sf
01-21-2007, 12:14
It's the seller's right to sell whatever he has for whatever he wants. It's the buyer's right to decide not to play along if he thinks the price or the procedure is not worth it. If interested, I make what I think is a realistic offer - if it's accepted, great. If not, I move on. Works well.

A far bigger issue would be having dealers or pro sellers move into the member section of the classifieds.

I agree. Of course, they tend to have nice inventories...

jan normandale
01-21-2007, 12:43
I don't respond to ads without a price. Two reasons, I don't want to become involved in an auction/bargaining round and I don't want to insult a vendor. Its easier to take a pass on the unpriced item or go to Ebay and bid.

FrankS
01-21-2007, 12:51
...and the wa-ai-ting is the hardest part!

I'm hoping I bought a Minolta CLE, but haven't heard back from Friday's best offer ad!

flashover
01-21-2007, 13:28
my personal feeling is that if the seller wants to list a price that's fine in not that's ok also. It's not hard to ask. or post a outer-space high price and accept offers.

arbib
01-21-2007, 13:45
If I see an item HERE, I want a price, either in the Title, or if there are many items for sale, I want to see a price in the Description.

I wish there was an option for saying 'Multiple Items" in the "Selling Price" field. instead of "Best Offer". That way, placing a "0" would bring up a more logical message.

I have seem many ads with "best offer" have multiple Items for sale. So the "Best Offer" tag was wrong most of the time.

If it is a real Best Offer, I pass over the ad most of the time. I would rather go to the "Bay and find it.

David Murphy
01-23-2007, 08:52
Should users be forced to set a price when listing items in the classifieds?

Currently, it is legitimate to ask for a "best offer".
Having bought and sold a fair amount of gear I'd say listing "best offer" is a turnoff for most buyers. It also invites a lot of conflict since if the item is desirable low-ball offers will start pouring in to the seller and they then often get "offended", even though they invited this on themselves.

If I don't know how to price an item (rare, but it happens) I auction it on eBay.

wlewisiii
01-27-2007, 21:23

I chose "must set" but this is a good base line to me.

William

ray_g
02-22-2007, 12:06
I don't mind a listing like: "$XXXX or best offer" as long as it means that once someone offers $XXXX they get it.
Personally, I think the default "best offer" price listing (which just started with the new classifieds format) has been more confusing than anything else.

From my experience these past few weeks:

1. "XXX or best offer." I offered to buy the item at XXX. I got a reply that another poster (after me) had offered XXX + $10, and if I wanted to beat the offer.

2. I sold multiple items, taking care to set the price and remove "best offer" from my listing. Despite this, I received offers (from members I had never seen before) below my asking price for every single one, before the asking prices were finally met by other members.

3. I am not even going to mention the buyers offering to buy, then backing out, the nitpickers looking for every little dust speck, etc.

Like Frank said, the classifieds had a sense of community before, and members typically offered items at prices below what they would get elsewhere. Somehow, this is rarely the case anymore. I did do an old fashioned trade with ferider, and that felt like old times. :)

Since then, I have gone back to ebay to sell a few items. You know what, it was LESS of a hassle for more money. And I don't even have to pay the $2 per listing on RFF yet.

In the future, if I do sell here, I think I will do as Kyle did in his listing for the MP, and reserve the right to sell to whomever I choose.

I think, with the volume in the classifieds, the number of members, and the more professional approach to the classifieds now, it would help if some rules or faq's were created to guide users and avoid misunderstandings like these.

JohnM
02-22-2007, 12:12
I have had just the opposite experience - I have gotten so tired of the tirekickers and nitpickers on ebay that I'll not sell there again unless I have to.

I've found that I get good, serious offers here and I really like the people who I have bought and sold cameras to at RFF.

Love the classifieds here. Now, can someone make a nice Rollei 2.8D appear there?

bob cole
02-22-2007, 13:31
What I'd like to see is a price plus best offer, like this:

$325usd OBO

hth
02-22-2007, 13:49
I also prefer the suggested price with an OBO. Makes a good starting point and allows for some price negotiation if it does not move fast.

If no price is suggested, I have no idea what to offer.

/Håkan

Film dino
03-07-2007, 00:28
I think that sellers should at least indicate the price they're expecting & if the "RFF Market" decides this is too high that will soon become evident & the seller can take appropriate action, including going off to ebay.

Overall selling & buying here has been a pleasant experience & it would be nice to think of these transactions as part of a unique RFF community spirit, but I guess that might have become a casualty of enlarging membership.

I'd like to thank the individuals who responded with help to my ad for some LIFA filters for a Summitar- the filters didn't appear to fit - when I found out how the filters they did I deleted the ad before acknowledging & thanking folks for their help.
David

VinceC
03-07-2007, 03:36
>>Americans have a profound distaste for negotiating price; ... Yet we do it every few years when we go buy a new car.<<

I buy my cars at CarMax. So do several million other Americans.

Back on topic -- I can see a place of "best offer" -- some people may have no idea of the value of something. If they set way too low a target price, an expert can sweep it up at that price. To me, this also violates the spirit of RFF, where we're very honest with one another about helping each other figure out the value and heritage of our gear.

Pherdinand
03-07-2007, 04:10
yeah, but the problem with best offer is, Vince, that the seller can pretend to have received any bullsh!t offer to drive the price up.

mjflory
03-07-2007, 04:58
My vote was for not requiring a price only because I though it better to leave options open. But I've bought a lot of stuff through the classifieds (too much, perhaps) and I've never responded to a "Best Offer" listing. I don't think I've ever answered an "OBO," in fact. It's not a matter of principle; I just don't have the confidence in my pricing skills to make an offer. It seems a basic psychological principle: people want to avoid both ridicule and giving offence, and they don't want to overpay -- they're risk-averse. At least I am. So I'd think if people want an item to move they'd do best to avoid open-ended listings entirely.

It's a little different on the 'Bay, where the current high bid is displayed. You're not making a fool of yourself if you bid way under value; you just drop out when the price gets too high. They've got the setup for a good auction, anyway... open bidding, proxy bidding up to a limit, an active feedback mechanism, and so forth. But that would be unwieldy and unneeded here.

-- Michael

RF-Addict
03-07-2007, 05:33
I think in a community like RFF where people actually know what they are talking about and understand the value of the items they list, there should always be a price associated with it. Otherwise you might as well sell it on eBay. I think it will leave a bad taste in the bidder's mouths if the seller gets to chose who he wants to sell the item to - and clearly there is no way to control who actually made the best offer.

We all know what our stuff is worth, or at least we think we do.

rpsawin
03-29-2007, 08:01

I agree with Frank. If the asking price is not stated it would be helpful if the seller stated a price range.

Bob

Paul T.
03-29-2007, 09:00
I like the clarity of the situation as it is. We mess with the format at our peril; one of the strengths of selling and buying here is that it's straightforward, and you're dealing with fellow enthusiasts: it's quick and clean.

At pnet that there was a time when there was a lot of bad blood re classifieds - people badmouthing others, because 'their offer was first' and so and so hadn't sold to them. It crops up now and then here, understandably - i know I've posted first on threads and still missed items because a PM went in before mine, but that momentary irritation subsided. Any system where we have one buyer bidding against another will REALLY risk bad blood. It won't be quick, and it most definitely won't be clean!

And, honestly, as a seller, I don't want the grief. WHen I sold my black M4 here, the priciest thing yet, I did so essentially because I'd bought it, with minimal hassle, on pnet, and wanted to do the same here. IT was the amount I'd have been reasonably happy to get on evilbay, and franklly I didn't want my camera to sit alongside the overpriced junk you see there these days.