PDA

View Full Version : Question on gaining RF experience ...

01-14-2007, 08:11
I have two new RF's to get to know, the Oly 35SP, and the Canonet 19 G-III. I like them equally, but I was wondering about one thing:

Would it be better to continue shooting my 35SP in order to get experienced, or should I use both the Canonet & 35SP alongside each other. Both scenario's have their preference, but I would really like to get acquinted with one RF to get to know its peculiarities in such a way you can really hone your skills.

I am shooting now my third role of film with the 35SP and will continue to do so, ... I was just wondering about that Canonet on my desk.

What would you do?

Xmas
01-14-2007, 08:31
Use one until it breaks exercisie the other so it is still working when the user breaks.

Do as I say not as I do - oops, just had a 2nd string fail - lack of excerise.

Noel

akptc
01-14-2007, 09:00
I found that more disciplined / experienced photographers are able to switch between several bodies as the mood or need strikes them. In my case, multiple cameras have proven to be a distraction. I would suggest mastering one at a time.

Steve Bellayr
01-14-2007, 09:23
There is no right or wrong answer. Do what feels best.

clintock
01-14-2007, 09:33
My excuse for having more than one similar camera was I could use two different types of film and grab whatever camera based on what film I wanted to use.
Now if only there were 40 different types of film..

Xmas
01-14-2007, 09:37
HCB seemed to use one, I do carry two, in a G bag, when I get to frame 36, or near to I swap cams. Normally 2x Kievs with J12s i.e. identical.

Johnnie reb said 'load up on sunday and shoot all week' of the Fed magazine loaders, I think there were $%+ words in there as well...

Noel

amateriat
01-14-2007, 10:27
The answer is fairly simple: which one do you like most?

Both cameras are highly regarded by people here, so I think it truly comes down to things like "which camera feels best in your hands?", "which one feels fastest/easiest to photograph with?", and so on.

One idea: put one camera away (as in: completely out of sight) and use just the other camera for two weeks, putting at least three rolls of film though it. Then, put that camera away and repeat the exercise with the other camera. Take a few notes about what you like and don't like about both. Take a good look at the pictures.

I suppose it's something of an axiom that the camera we have on hand is the one we get to know well, and the camera we get to know well is the one we come to like (hopefully). Sometimes, having more than one camera available, particularly if the cameras are of the same category, isn't always the blessing it might seem at the outset (sez he while hearing the sound or broadswords being unsheathed all about RFf for such blasphemous comments...) ;)

- Barrett

shadowfox
01-15-2007, 09:17
In my experience, the 35SP excels in black and white shots indoor (in a well-lit room) with its 1.7 max aperture. Your Canonet has a slower lens at 1.9, so maybe you can use it more outdoor during the day.

I'm eager to test my newly acquired QL17 (sadly not working, looking for a place for CLA) against my 35 SPn.

Amateriat: I may do as you suggested, it's too much distraction bringing multiple cameras at one time, I spend more time fiddling with them than looking up for the right lighting to strike the subject.