PDA

View Full Version : Just curious-How many R-D1s does this list have?

driggett
02-01-2005, 19:18
I was just wandering how many of you have an R-D1?
I have one.
Thanks,
Chris

driggett
02-01-2005, 19:23
I do not belong to any vendor or marketing company. I was just wandering.
Thanks,
Chris

RML
02-01-2005, 21:11
Chris, I wish you were working for Epson so I could ask you where in Holland I could fondle and perhaps buy an R-D1.

Epson Holland sucks when it comes to providing any information on the R-D1. They refer me to a webpage where I can check for dealers. Turns out that in a 100 km radius around Amsterdam there's not ONE Epson dealer, which means (small as Holland is) that there's not one dealer in the entire country. Or that search tool is crappy. Anyway, for someone who might be willing to part with 3000+ euro you might expect a bit more service.

On eBay the R-D1 goes for well over 3000 euros, plus I don't know (and thus trust) the sellers, at least not when it comes to that kind of loot. I might just get myself a tripp to Japan and buy the R-D1 there....

driggett
02-01-2005, 21:38
RML,
If you want one from a reputable camera dealer check out B&H photo video in NY or Calumet. I know B&H ships overseas because when I was staying in Switzerland I bought many an item from them. The US price is $2999 and with the EURO against the dollar that it a pretty cheap way to go. I have enclosed the link to the product page.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=epson+r-d1&image.x=7&image.y=7>

How about taking a trip to London to see one. I believe several camera dealers in London maybe Robert White may have one for you to play with.

Good luck,
Chris

Sean Reid
02-02-2005, 02:10
I decided to own an R-D1 after writing my review.

Sean

pete
02-02-2005, 05:18
i decided to own one after reading your review.

Sean Reid
02-02-2005, 06:24
LOL, I do hear that from time to time. I hope you like it.

Cheers,

Sean

mfs
02-02-2005, 09:13
Hi.

I have read your reviews Sean, and I am very interested in the RD-1. My only reluctance is the cost, and the possibility that one of two things will happen.
1) The camera is not a financial success, and will not be supported in the future, or
2) the concept of a digital RF is financially successful, and either a RD-2, Zeiss-Ikon digital, or Leica digital comes along with improved feature sets.
I realize that Leica had indicated a digital M in 2006 (even more expensive??), and that Zeiss has hinted at a digital versiion of the new ZI film body.

I also realize that with the fast changing digital world one must make a decision, and either go for it, or wait it out (thus not enjoying the use and advantages of the product).

I am still in the process of deciding.

I have seen some of the on line postings, and I am most impressed with the apparent low noise performance at ISO 1600. My Canon 20D cannot perform at that low noise level. However, in all fairness, web posted images should not be compared with either monitor images, or printed images.

So, I am asking for your help again with this important, and expensive decision.

What should I do??????????????????????

Thank you.

Martin

driggett
02-02-2005, 09:25
Martin,
My own viewpoint is that this camera is great for a carry around, travel, snap shots and the like. It is also good for other things but this is what my purpose is.

As for the cost figure it out like this. Figure out what your cost of a roll of film and it's developing but not the prints is and then divide the camera cost by this figure. Will you shoot this many rolls of film in what you perceive is the life time of you owning this camera? If it is close then the camera pays for it's self. That is one of the deciding factors of mine when decidng on this camera vs an M7.
Good luck,
Chris

mfs
02-02-2005, 09:29
Thanks Chris.

My reluctance is starting to wear down.

Of course, I would add the cost of a spare battery, and several SD cards to the equation. But, you are correct, in the long run the operating costs favor the RD-1.

Have you noted any problems with the RD-1??? Any incompatible lenses??? Any operational problems??

Thanks.

Martin

driggett
02-02-2005, 09:41
Martin.
No problems so far. Although I swear the frame lines are a little smaller than the actual caputred picture area.

Think of it this way, at 6.1 mega pixels the camera captures great photograghs for blow up sizes greater then the average non professional photographer needs. It is small and light enough to use it as a second body when the r-D2 or Leica MD camera comes out. I just wish it had framelines for a 21 mm and 90 mm lenses.
Cheers,
Chris

mfs
02-02-2005, 09:48
Thanks again Chris.

I hav already purchased a 21D, and 15D viewfinder from CameraQuest for $ 175.

I guess I am more inclined to purchase the RD-1 than I sound.

Martin

driggett
02-02-2005, 09:52
Martin,
I will sell you mine for only $1. The shipping and handling which is mandatory will cost you $10000;-)

I have a question about those viewfinders that you purchased. When they say 21mm they mean for a 21mm real lens but framed for a 31.5 mm is this correct?

Just go out and buy one already;-)
Cheers,
Chris

mfs
02-02-2005, 09:57
Boy, am I killing myself by agonizing over this.

Anyway, the D designation on the finder indicates that it is set up for the RD-1 field of view. Therefore, the 21D actualy has a field of view of 21x1.53, or a 31mm equivalent lens.

If I buy your RD-1, will you buy another one??

What lenses do you use with the RD-1???

Martin

driggett
02-02-2005, 10:05
Martin,
Yes I would buy another one even though it has some limitations it fits my needs.
I have the Lecia 28 f/2, 35 f/2, and the 50 f/2 Lenses. I would like to buy a 21mm and a 90mm.
Cheers,
Chris

mfs
02-02-2005, 11:47
That is a nice mix of lenses.
I just recently purchased a used (mint) Leica 21mm asp.
I tested it in my usual way (newspaper at closest focus, and at comparable distances for image size comparisons to my other Leica lenses - 28, 35, 50mm) on Kodak 400 chromagenic film.

It was surprisingly sharp at the edges even wide open. The angle of view is staggering. Can't wait to try it in real life!! Maybe on an RD-1!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of help, advice, and support.

Martin

Sean Reid
02-02-2005, 11:52
Hiya Martin,

I couldn't begin to tell you what to do. I think many of us hesitated for quite awhile before buying because of the camera's $3000 cost. Two years ago I plunked down $7200 for a 1Ds and that certainly created a few butterflies in my stomach. Don't answer this question on the forum (but rather in your own head): Can you afford it? If this is not the best time to spend $3000, follow your common sense. If you can afford it and you want it, then go get it. You'll likely lose a lot of money on it if you sell it in a couple of years. But if you keep it, you'll lose nothing. If you keep it a very long time it may even become collectable, but there's no point in counting on that.

You wrote:

"My only reluctance is the cost, and the possibility that one of two things will happen.
1) The camera is not a financial success, and will not be supported in the future"

That's possible although right now Epson tells me they're planning on another model down the line. But you never know. The folks who can work on Voigtlanders may be able to fix parts of the camera and folks who work on digital SLRs may be able to work on the rest. Or maybe you won't need repair. Or maybe Epson will take care of us no matter what. They've been very good so far about replacing cameras with problems or defects.

", or
2) the concept of a digital RF is financially successful, and either a RD-2, Zeiss-Ikon digital, or Leica digital comes along with improved feature sets. I realize that Leica had indicated a digital M in 2006 (even more expensive??), and that Zeiss has hinted at a digital versiion of the new ZI film body."

I know that Leica plans to do that and Zeiss may do it if they can. Can you wait? Do you want to? It's all gambling, really.

Those of us who've bought this camera are largely in uncharted waters. First serious camera for Epson, first digital rangefinder, etc.. Many people think we're crazy to spend $3000 for an R-D1. I couldn't care less. I buy what I want or need if I can afford it. If I don't like it later on I sell it, eat the loss and keep on truckin. I'm one of those people who believes that any of us could be hit by a bus tommorow, so I don't tend to wait around a lot unless I must.

I've made thousands of pictures with the R-D1 already. Some have already earned $$. Some aren't intended to earn anything. A bit of paint has already chipped off my on-off switch - more wear is inevitable even though I take fairly good care of my equipment. I don't really care about the chipped paint or the eventual brassing or whatever happens. Near the end of my warranty I'll check the camera out carefully and if anything's failed I'll send it in to Epson. Otherwise, a person couldn't pry this camera from my hands.

But that's me....and I didn't enjoy the $3000 price any more than anyone else.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid
02-02-2005, 11:55
You got the Leica 21 Asph? Great lens.

Chris: The captured area is indeed larger than the frame lines. The frame lines show about 85% of the capture. Leica M show about the same as do most rangefinders. I discussed this in the reviews, as well as the coverage of the D finders, etc.

Cheers,

Sean

jlw
02-02-2005, 13:06
You got the Leica 21 Asph? Great lens.

Chris: The captured area is indeed larger than the frame lines. The frame lines show about 85% of the capture. Leica M show about the same as do most rangefinders. I discussed this in the reviews, as well as the coverage of the D finders, etc.

Cheers,

Sean

Here's a link to some rather boring pictures I shot that show how the R-D1's finder frames compare to the actual image area:

R-D1 finder pix (http://homepage.mac.com/jlw/photo/R-D1_finder/)

The first two comparo pictures show the 35mm and 50mm framelines. Sorry, I don't own a 28mm lens.

The others show longer lenses used with an auxiliary finder. You can see from these why Epson decided to build in the 85% 'safety factor' -- it doesn't take much error to raise the risk of cropping out parts of the subject that you wanted to be in the picture.

Sean Reid
02-03-2005, 04:45
Those were interesting to see. Thanks JLW.

Cheers,

Sean

David Kieltyka
02-04-2005, 17:48
A few days ago I took some people pics at close range with the R-D1 and CV 40mm Nokton, using the 35mm framelines. When I reviewed the pics shortly afterward I discovered I'd partially chopped off a head in three of 'em. Since this is something I'm not in the habit of doing unintentionally (though I have some photos of my folks, taken at age six, that showcase creative cropping), and have had no framing issues with the Leitz 40mm Summicron-C used in the same manner, I decided to investigate a little further.

It turns out the Nokton is a sllghtly longer lens than the 'Cron-C. The R-D1's 35mm framelines are a near perfect match for the 'Cron-C at all distances but are a bit too generous for the Nokton up close. Something to keep in mind for anyone using the R-D1/Nokton combo.

-Dave-

driggett
02-13-2005, 19:49
Martin,
Just wondering if you had succumbed yet and bought one?
Cheers,
Chris

That is a nice mix of lenses.
I just recently purchased a used (mint) Leica 21mm asp.
I tested it in my usual way (newspaper at closest focus, and at comparable distances for image size comparisons to my other Leica lenses - 28, 35, 50mm) on Kodak 400 chromagenic film.

It was surprisingly sharp at the edges even wide open. The angle of view is staggering. Can't wait to try it in real life!! Maybe on an RD-1!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of help, advice, and support.

Martin

gelmir
02-14-2005, 02:31
18 R-D1s so far. That's a lot of money :)

mfs
02-14-2005, 03:11
Not yet. But, I think soon.

Martin

simonclivehughe
02-25-2005, 16:41
I just got mine this afternoon and I'm playing with it now. I love the feel of the camera and so far, just playing around with my lenses (28 f1.9, 35 f1.7, 50 f1.5 and 90), I can see that it's going to be a joy to use. The menu system is going to take a while to get used to... it seems to take too many actions to do some fairly frequent types of operation. I can't wait to get the D-style viewfinder for my 12mm... it really brings a nice wide angle in but you really need the viewfinder to line things up.

Ciao,

Simon

drgary
02-25-2005, 18:12
I've had mine for a couple of months. The thing that amazes me most is how usable ISO 1600 files are; they're useless in my D2H

driggett
02-25-2005, 19:48
I've had mine for a couple of months. The thing that amazes me most is how usable ISO 1600 files are; they're useless in my D2H

I can second that. I wonder how the new D2X stacks up against the r-d1? Anybody with the new camera yet?
Thanks,
Chris

DaShiv
02-25-2005, 23:54
The thing that amazes me most is how usable ISO 1600 files are; they're useless in my D2H
The R-D1's ISO 1600 performance is just a bit worse than my Canon 20D's, which in itself is remarkable since this is Epson's first large-sensor camera while Canon has had many, many DSLR's over which to hone their image processing techniques (and high-ISO performance has always been a Canon forte). The R-D1's ISO 1600 is also surprising in how much better it is than those of the 6MP DSLR's that use the identical Sony CCD chip: D70, *ist D/DS, Maxxum/Dynax 7D which is "technically" as clean but loses much detail due to overaggressive noise reduction, etc. I was expecting high-ISO on par with the other 6mp DSLR's but the R-D1 has really surprised me as well in this department.

Nikon hasn't been very strong in the high-ISO arena, and in fact the D2H is one of the worst performing high-ISO DSLR's on the market. Although the R-D1 is certainly impressive with its high-ISO performance, a large part of the reason for the significant improvement compared to the D2H has to be attributed to the D2H's own poor high-ISO performance.

I wonder how the new D2X stacks up against the r-d1? Anybody with the new camera yet?
The D2X is a far superior studio and sports camera, but not very good for available light. According to Bjorn Rorslett's D2X review (http://www.naturfotograf.com/D2X_rev03.html), all ISO's above ISO 800 must be specifically enabled in the camera's configurations, and even after enabling them, the D2X will apply in-camera noise reduction that CANNOT be turned off. This, I think, gives you some indication of how poorly the D2X would perform normally at ISO 1600. Having said that, it's still possible that the D2X's 12mp file downsampled to 6mp could possibly be cleaner than the R-D1's, but IMO even downsampled the noise reduction would make it less detailed than the R-D1's native 6mp image.

This is all speculative though, since there's been fewer than a half-dozen D2X reviews out there so far.

driggett
02-26-2005, 05:58
Bob,
Bjorn's review is getting blasted all over the place. In the d1scussion mail group there is great talk of this. There are several reviewers on that mailing list regular professionl photographers who have just got thier cameras and I am awaiting to here back from them.
Cheers,
Chris

DaShiv
02-26-2005, 07:19
There's some pretty heavy discussion of Bjorn's and a handful of other reviews on sites such as DPR, FredMiranda, RobGalbraith, etc, but the jury really is still out. I'm sure the D2X will be a great studio camera though and should be up to the task for just about all other uses (sports, photojournalism, etc). IMO, there have been far too many positive samples and user reports to believe that the D2X is anything other than an extremely capable camera. To my eye it looks like Nikon is definitely getting the full 12mp of resolution out of the D2X's sensor, and the D2X is sure to both stem the tide of the Nikon pro defection and also should put the pressure back on Canon once again -- finally! As I've said in many a post elsewhere, kudos to Nikon, and watch out, Canon! :D

Where I differ from many of the more rapturous responses in several Nikon forums though is the notion that the D2X is suddenly a "miracle" camera for Nikon, that it outperforms everything else with a lens mount and a digital sensor. Conventional wisdom has it that decreasing pixel pitch will increase high-ISO noise and decrease dynamic range. There have already been some less-than-ideal noise tests of the D2X and even the famously retracted one, although precious little has been said about dynamic range. I'm willing to bet though that after all the reviews are in (with Phil ASkey probably getting his done around, oh, Halloween :D ), the D2X will have tangibly worse high-ISO noise and dynamic range compared to both the Canon 1DsII and the Fuji S3. I just don't think it's possible for Nikon to cheat physics as we currently understand it.

And another thing I posted on several other forums: the big news about the D2X is that people are arguing about test results between an 8k camera and a 5k camera at all! Even if the D2X turns out to have worse high-ISO noise and dynamic range than its competition (as I'm fairly certain it will), as a value proposition in the pro segment it's a very strong challenge to Canon. I hope the D2X will start a price war in the pro DSLR segment similar to the price war in the consumer DSLR segment started by Canon's Digital Rebel (300D), but ultimately that market segment isn't nearly as price-sensitive. Well, one can always wish for lower prices, anyway. :D

driggett
03-23-2005, 18:54
New owners please take a moment and vote.
Thanks,
Chris

jlw
03-23-2005, 19:04
I wonder how the new D2X stacks up against the r-d1?

No matter how technically fabulous the D2X is, there's no getting around the fact that it's (bleah, ick) an SLR!

I might start getting excited when the Nikon SPX-d comes out... ;)

Gid
03-24-2005, 03:40
New owners please take a moment and vote.
Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I have one and love it, but still getting used to it (had it about 4 weeks). Sean's review finally swayed me.

I did have trouble initially getting stuff perpendicular and I guess the frame lines may be slightly off, but I seem to have got used to it and most shots are now as they should be. Couldn't bare to be parted from it and risk getting a "bad" one back.

Regards

Gid

sevres_babylone
03-24-2005, 04:36
I got mine 2 weeks ago. Off to Havana and then El Salvador Saturday for nearly two weeks, to give it a full workout. (Wish there were some theft resistant features like phoney Russian-script logos one could attach.)

rami G
04-23-2005, 20:43
hi all, I am new here,
answering the original question- I am an owner of an RD-1. Unfortunately, it is now on the way to Epson (had it since January- my third one...) Hot pixels... can be seen even on 100 iso and at 1/30 one of them looks like a red naughty hole. When it looked, in one picture, as if someone has bitten my girlfriend I decided it was too much. quit disappointing.... besides that- I really love the camera. I own the VC 15, Leica 21 apsh, Leica 28 Elmarit and 28 cron asph (I was planning to sell the Elmarit but I never did, I love it.) Also the 35 lux asph and the 50 cron, the 75 lux and the 135 apo. However, I was travelling for a month with the 28 cron alone (in fact, rearly, using the 15). Latter I tried the 75 lux for a rock show (Tuxedomoon) in Manhattan and focus was better than using my M7 or my M6ttl, and I was extremely happy about it since it is my favorite lens (even with the crop...). I managed to shoot it on 1.4 and got sharp pictures.

I love the RD-1 for two things- first, the handling and just for having a digital rangefinder. The second is the fact that it uses CCD (rather than canon's CMOS) and has the cripy film like look and bright colors. I love the image from the RD-1 much more than the 20D's (which look to me smooth and lifeless with an easy tendency to look like plastic). I wish Leica, Espon and Zeiss will stick to CCDs. ;)

fotografz
04-25-2005, 17:13
Yep, got one the very second I heard about it. No regrets. Not a replacement for my Ms, but has its place for rangefinder color work. Use it for weddings and travel along side my Ms (which cough up color film like a hair ball ; -)

Use a 28/2, 35/1.4, 50/1,4 and some 75/1.4 & 90//2

edlaurpic
04-25-2005, 19:44
Yes, I have an R-D1, my third. The first two had RF problems. This third one (serial # 16xx) focuses every lens I have perfectly. They are all current Leitz or Leica lenses, from 21 through 135 (all of them except the 75). That's not a typo about the 135. I am consistently getting sharp images wide open with the 135, short RF base and all. One thing I noticed, however, is that one has to very, very carefully focus any lens over a 50 mm and what I find is that if I go beyond the split image to a closer focusing point and then carefully turn the focus ring back just to the point where it perfectly overlaps the other window, it's always dead on. In other words the focusing works perfectly provided that I am moving from closer to further distances on the focusing ring when the windows converge. This is true of the 50 1.4 summilux, 50 f/2 summicron, 90 f/2.8 tele elmarit, 90 f/2 Apo Asph and the 135 APO. The 90 APO is hardest to focus and the 90 f/2.8 is the easiest. Go figure. Love this camera.

05-06-2005, 07:18
I got mine 2 weeks ago. Off to Havana and then El Salvador Saturday for nearly two weeks, to give it a full workout. (Wish there were some theft resistant features like phoney Russian-script logos one could attach.)

Hi

I used the "old fashion" Dymo, the manual type to cover the Epson Logos,
an entered my name over the logo on the lcd screen and my phone number
over the top logo, now it dosen't look like something you want to steal anymore
and that's great, but for my liking its looking even better, the only thing that
shows is the R-D1 logo wich does say anything for the common man in the street!

You should try this, it really looks good...and is functional aswell...

Doc William
05-08-2005, 14:30
I got mine as a result of Sean's review as well. I've always wanted to shoot with Leica Lenses. So far I have all ASPH's:
21/2.8
28/2.8
35/1.4 and
as of yesterday, the new 50/1.4
Cheers,
bill

DaShiv
05-08-2005, 15:23
Alexander, do you have a picture of what that "doesn't look like something you want to steal" treatment looks like? :D

Sean Reid
05-08-2005, 16:29
Doc,

That is a fantastic lens collection. Nice choices.

Sean

Gabriel M.A.
05-08-2005, 19:03
Just to make my entry clear, I'm not "going to but one", but I hope to buy one. ;)

05-20-2005, 05:28
I forgot to mention, yes i own one too....and i love it...!!

Best Regards

Alexander Tufte

Terence T
07-18-2005, 16:26
I have to change my option to "Yes I do!". Just got mine yesterday and it seems to be problem free, all thanks to my dealer for checking it out before shipping it to me. Love it!

nvanallens
07-20-2005, 07:18
I own one, and have a collection of great Leica and CV and lenses (M and LTM) to use with it and its companion Bessa R3a.

Great forum. Mike

www.michaelallenphoto.com

greggebhardt
07-21-2005, 05:09
Include me on my list. Mine came in yesterday with the Leica 50mm 1.4 asph and all works good so far. Finder is not tilted and seems to focus accurately from what I can tell so far. Have found no hot or dead pixels at 400iso with jpeg but I shoot 90% in RAW.

So far I like very much, a nice chunk of hardware!

billh
07-30-2005, 06:18
Curiosity finally overwhelmed my reticence over paying $3000 for a 6MP camera with so many “issues” (especially the focus accuracy). I was also worried about the comparative quality from such a small sensor.

My friend Walt (a superb large format photographer, and the subject you see in these examples) and I shot some quick shots with an RD-1 (6MP), 1D2 (8MP) and 1Ds2 (16.6 MP).

http://homepage.mac.com/billh96007/LensTests/PhotoAlbum150.html

I printed three shots of Walt last night, one from each camera. While there is more information available in the 1Ds2 print, the actual differences are relatively subtle, and given the prints separately, or even together without telling someone they were from different cameras, I doubt many people would notice any difference. I just did a quick conversion in C1, sharpened them (probably too much for some of the Rd-1 shots - I did not want to be “unfair” to any camera, especially the RD-1), and made web jpegs for PC and printed them. It was late, and the color is off, but for a quick look, this worked for me.

I also included a few odds and ends I shot with the RD-1 the past two days. I do need to take a few minutes to read the instruction book....

ChipNovaMac
08-10-2005, 18:16
$3000 for a camera that might be replaced soon. But I am trying to think of all the Leica glass that I have now that I am doing more digital. MIght just give me a reason to take my film cameras along too.

RML
08-10-2005, 21:13
$3000 for a camera that might be replaced soon.

Or, just as likely, never see a brother or sister being born.

Admittedly, the price is high but I have no regrets at all. I'm not shooting more but I am shooting more experimentally. It's like shooting a shot on film, review it and go back to reshoot the scene, but with the R-D1 I get to do it in the blink of an eye. My Eos 300D is not seeing any action whatsoever these days, and neither do my film cameras (the Bessas, the Russians, the M2).

ChipNovaMac
08-11-2005, 04:42
Well I did what I called my "poor man's R-D1" for a recent trip to SF. I got a Rebel XT to replace my questionable 10D. Ran with three lenses (12-24 Tokina, 17-40L [my Canon Tri-Elmar], and the 28-75 Tamron). It did show me that the lenses I have for my Leica would do well on the R-D1 (lenses from 15 to 90, and the Tri-Elmar). I figured that my M6TTL LHSA would see some action more often as a back up to the R-D1, and for the wider shots.

I agree that experimentation with digital is what swinging me over. Still trying to sort through close to 1000 shots over a 5 day stay in SF.

Laki
08-12-2005, 11:05
hi,

just got mine today, battery is charging, can't wait to get out of the house with her. :)

laki

simonclivehughe
08-24-2005, 12:08
Thanks to my dear, sweet wife, I was able to pick up my backup/second R-D1 body today. I got my first one in Feb and since then I've been head-over-heels about this camera. Having two bodies has been a dream ever since I got the first one.

Cheers,

Simon

zetablues
09-02-2005, 01:50
Hi all!
I'm new here. Finally I bitten the bullet and got my R-D1 a week ago. A Zeiss Biogon 2/35 ZM is on its way. Cannot wait to try it out!
Cheers!

rvaubel
03-02-2006, 21:31
As a very "late adopter" I agonized of this purchase. However, even with QC issues, et al, you either have and use the thing or you dont. I take a lot of pictures and this camera will be my point and shoot when I dont need the flexibility of my Canon 20Da or the purity of the film rangefinder experience. Sometimes I just want instant gratification.
Plus I can lust after all the cool "M" mount lenses which I can use on the DM (if ever) or my film cameras.
Rex
BeZerkeley, Ca

Jan Brittenson
03-17-2006, 23:24
I don't have one, but have been considering one for some time. Will probably get an RD-1s when they appear in the pipeline... I'm really itching for a digital RF.

tkluck
03-28-2006, 08:15
Reality check,
Poll neds a third question:
"Would you buy one if you could aford one?"
or perhaps (let's face it):
"Do you covet/lust after one?"

JohnL
04-21-2006, 05:15
80 users on this site! I wonder what fraction of total world-wide sales that is?

JeffGreene
05-02-2006, 19:29
Add me to the list! Just got the RD1 yesterday.

umana
05-08-2006, 14:04
I am late to add mine, one of the very 1st made. I am simply enthusiast of it.
It is great, despite some dust in the viewfinder, and some burned pixels...

Ciao, Luigi

PS: I am seriously tempted to open for my use a 2nd, new one ! :-)

furcafe
05-09-2006, 06:57
Just received 1 from Robert White (hurray for their recent price drop, now below 1100 pounds on the 'bay). So far, so good re: both build quality (RF spot in vertical alignment & focus accurate even w/Noctilux) & image quality (ISO 1600 surprisingly good). Since I shoot mostly @ 35mm & longer, w/50mm accounting for 60% of my shots, the crop factor is not a huge deal.

JeffGreene
05-09-2006, 07:00
Congratulations on your new RD1. It's a surprisingly good camera. I am really enjoying mine.

Scott209
05-31-2006, 11:37
After debating about it for almost six months, I too have purchased an R-D1!

In short, it works perfectly! It's a wondeful camera and I'm having more fun using it than any camera I've ever owned.

The best feature, short of it being almost identical to a film rangefinder, is the ability to use Epson PhotoRAW and have an entirely B&W workflow. It's just like shooting black and white film, but better!

My "other" camera is a D2x. It performs the heavy duty work...the R-D1 is for pure enjoyment!

My biggest fear with this purchase was that 6 megapixels was going to be too little data as compared to what I'm used to working with. However, it really isn't. Photoshop and other programs are so good at interpolation that 6 MP is really quite adequate for most uses. I've printed some of my first photos from the R-D1 at sizes up to 16x20 and the results are beautiful. No, they don't have the detail that my D2x is able to capture, but then again, what 35mm negative can produce 16x20 prints that are as sharp as 4x6? In B&W, the images have that special rangefinder film-like look that is almost impossible to achieve even with the best glass on my D2x.

If you are part of this elite group of photograhers that is considering the R-D1, I say "go for it!". Life is short and if photography is your passion then stop wasting time and get out there and start snapping!

Scott

fgianni
06-05-2006, 06:13
96 on, 4 to go, are we going to have a sort of RD-1 competition to mark the 100th member owning and RD-1/RD1s ?

codeandtheory
06-05-2006, 06:28
I had two epson rd1's and i loved them. The only problem was dead pixels on the sensor. I have sinced returned both of them but am left wanting. Does anyone know when or where i could Epson Rd1s is available. I have seen it on ebay but dont want to have to deal with sending it back to Japan if there is another Dead Pixel. Any advice would be much appreciated.

sreidvt
06-05-2006, 12:39
Code,

You can buy an R-D1 and install the new firmware to make your own R-D1S.

Cheers,

Sean

ch1
06-05-2006, 13:06
I had two epson rd1's and i loved them. The only problem was dead pixels on the sensor. I have sinced returned both of them but am left wanting. Does anyone know when or where i could Epson Rd1s is available. I have seen it on ebay but dont want to have to deal with sending it back to Japan if there is another Dead Pixel. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hey, "codeandtheory", are you a ham radio op?

nksyoon
06-06-2006, 05:41
Joined the club! I just picked up my new (2nd hand) R-D1 from the post office.

First question - Mine has a UK 3 pin plug cord for the battery charger - any issues with swapping it for a standard Euro 2 pin plug cord? No reversed polarity?

Scott209
06-06-2006, 09:55
Joined the club! I just picked up my new (2nd hand) R-D1 from the post office.

First question - Mine has a UK 3 pin plug cord for the battery charger - any issues with swapping it for a standard Euro 2 pin plug cord? No reversed polarity?

Nick,

My R-D1 also came with a UK plug. I simply used a spare cord from my laptop to plug it into a US wall outlet. It works fine. Check your R-D1 charger, but mine is 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz.

Enjoy your new camera!

Scott

P.S. I looked at your pbase gallery. Beautiful work!

furcafe
06-06-2006, 10:42
Ditto, as my R-D1 came from Robert White.

I have a US-UK converter plug, but it took me a week to find it. In the meantime, I used a power cord from an unused hard drive. Sometimes it's a good thing that everything's made in the same factories in China! :p

Nick,

My R-D1 also came with a UK plug. I simply used a spare cord from my laptop to plug it into a US wall outlet. It works fine. Check your R-D1 charger, but mine is 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz.

Enjoy your new camera!

Scott

nksyoon
06-06-2006, 11:24
Thanks guys, I took the next step and upgraded the firmware. I've been thinking about this camera ever since it was announced and now I have one! Hope to post some photos next week after my trip to London.

fgianni
06-14-2006, 01:53
Akira, welcome to the club!

One to go to get to 100!

Erl
06-14-2006, 04:25
Since everyone wants the 100th to happen, here I am! Had it for awhile and needed to "toothpick" it work properly, but now it mostly does. Love the concept, but am disappointed with the shutter noise. To noticeable by far for many of my ventures.

Nervously awaiting the DM but probably will spend the money on a trip to Morocco before it comes out.

rvaubel
06-15-2006, 20:01
Congratulations!!
Or consulations, depending on your perspective.

Rex

akptc
06-27-2006, 23:25
Just got mine today :)

vinwong
06-27-2006, 23:31
Hi, I'm a new RF user and have just purchased a RD1s & 2 Voigtlander lenses in Hong Kong last week. It's a new experience for me and I really enjoy it.:) Thanks for all your contributions in this forum and also thanks to Sean's reviews that makes me decided to try one.

Cheers!

hanskamera
07-01-2006, 16:18
Hiya Martin,

I couldn't begin to tell you what to do. I think many of us hesitated for quite awhile before buying because of the camera's $3000 cost. Two years ago I plunked down $7200 for a 1Ds and that certainly created a few butterflies in my stomach. Don't answer this question on the forum (but rather in your own head): Can you afford it? If this is not the best time to spend $3000, follow your common sense. If you can afford it and you want it, then go get it. You'll likely lose a lot of money on it if you sell it in a couple of years. But if you keep it, you'll lose nothing. If you keep it a very long time it may even become collectable, but there's no point in counting on that.

You wrote:

"My only reluctance is the cost, and the possibility that one of two things will happen.
1) The camera is not a financial success, and will not be supported in the future"

That's possible although right now Epson tells me they're planning on another model down the line. But you never know. The folks who can work on Voigtlanders may be able to fix parts of the camera and folks who work on digital SLRs may be able to work on the rest. Or maybe you won't need repair. Or maybe Epson will take care of us no matter what. They've been very good so far about replacing cameras with problems or defects.

", or
2) the concept of a digital RF is financially successful, and either a RD-2, Zeiss-Ikon digital, or Leica digital comes along with improved feature sets. I realize that Leica had indicated a digital M in 2006 (even more expensive??), and that Zeiss has hinted at a digital versiion of the new ZI film body."

I know that Leica plans to do that and Zeiss may do it if they can. Can you wait? Do you want to? It's all gambling, really.

Those of us who've bought this camera are largely in uncharted waters. First serious camera for Epson, first digital rangefinder, etc.. Many people think we're crazy to spend $3000 for an R-D1. I couldn't care less. I buy what I want or need if I can afford it. If I don't like it later on I sell it, eat the loss and keep on truckin. I'm one of those people who believes that any of us could be hit by a bus tommorow, so I don't tend to wait around a lot unless I must.

I've made thousands of pictures with the R-D1 already. Some have already earned $$. Some aren't intended to earn anything. A bit of paint has already chipped off my on-off switch - more wear is inevitable even though I take fairly good care of my equipment. I don't really care about the chipped paint or the eventual brassing or whatever happens. Near the end of my warranty I'll check the camera out carefully and if anything's failed I'll send it in to Epson. Otherwise, a person couldn't pry this camera from my hands.

But that's me....and I didn't enjoy the $3000 price any more than anyone else.

Cheers,

Seanjust recieved my new RD-1S from Japan for $2498.00. So the price on the new model is getting better--hanskamera

nemjo
07-13-2006, 02:42
O.K. count me in...
Just arrived from RW.
I must tell, very smooth transaction.
The battery just charged...

Cheers,

nemjo

tron
07-15-2006, 05:55
Just bought mine this afternoon with two Voigtlander lenses - a 15/4.5 and a 35/1.7.

Been thinking for a while, but this is an all time low, just less than US$1,800 for the body !

Any great value for money lenses recommended, please ?

kshapero
07-30-2006, 08:46
Just bought mine this afternoon with two Voigtlander lenses - a 15/4.5 and a 35/1.7.

Been thinking for a while, but this is an all time low, just less than US$1,800 for the body !

Ok, where did you get your Epson for so low a price?;)

Gabriel M.A.
08-01-2006, 16:17

Yeah, I'd like to know where I can find such a great deal!

Now, for "great value for money" lenses, I think you already have one of them the 35 Ultron. I hear the 50 f/2.5 Skopar is nice and sharp, but if you want something faster for about the same amount of money, perhaps the Canon 50 f/1.8 is the way to go.

nickmeertens
08-03-2006, 22:59
It is all that I expected and more! It has serial 101242 and seems to work flawless in all respects. See my blog for the very first picture I made! (with the color skopar 35mm 2.5 PII)
Back to making photo's now!

frobson
08-08-2006, 23:37
As a new RFF member this is my first post. I bought one of the first 10 RD-!s in the UK, the image quality is superb, full A3 images better than anything from any film except kodachrome or very slow film. I bought my first Leica a 111b in 1955 and have had M's and R's and digilux 1 & 2 . The rangefinder alignment is not 100% but it is sufficently accurate not to cause concern, in all other respects I like the RD-1s I'm using it with Voightlander lenses but have just bought a Tri Elmar on Ebay so will report back further when I receive it. My Diilux 2 has been back with Leica for six weeks for a warranty repair they have gone very quiet about when I may expect to see it back. Would be very careful before I bought the digital M they are not the company they were. Rob Clayton

Happy Snapper
08-16-2006, 05:26
I take pictures for UK fashion magazines and want to know if the RD-1s can compete with recent digital slrs. I love the idea of the Epson but am a bit worried about the low spec in comparison with Canon 5D etc etc. I already have lots of Leica M Lenses from before having to go digital. Any ideas. Also thinking about the Ricoh GR Digital, but people seem to be saying the quality is low. Any ideas?

Terao
08-19-2006, 13:19
I take pictures for UK fashion magazines and want to know if the RD-1s can compete with recent digital slrs. I love the idea of the Epson but am a bit worried about the low spec in comparison with Canon 5D etc etc. I already have lots of Leica M Lenses from before having to go digital. Any ideas. Also thinking about the Ricoh GR Digital, but people seem to be saying the quality is low. Any ideas?

Well, its only a 6mp sensor, aren't some mags funny about file sizes?

Probably not a valid comparison for a pro photog, but FWIW the camera/lens (Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4) takes better shots than my D70 (same sensor) with a mid-range lens.

Bear in mind the 1.5x crop, might make your existing M's less useful. And if you're using classic portrait focal lengths you may have difficulty focussing fast lenses due to the relative shortness of rangefinder baseline.

I completely love mine, suits what I enjoy doing most, and gives me back control in a way that a DSLR even in manual didn't...

Terao
08-19-2006, 13:20
+1 to the owned pile here.

And no apparent focus issues or hot pixels :D

rvaubel
08-19-2006, 13:46
I take pictures for UK fashion magazines and want to know if the RD-1s can compete with recent digital slrs. I love the idea of the Epson but am a bit worried about the low spec in comparison with Canon 5D etc etc

I'm a big fan of the RD1 but lets not compare apples and oranges. The Canon 5D DSLR is in a different class of camera and very well suited for fashion photography. In fact for any studio work, I would choose a full frame DSLR over the RD1 or even the more capable M8.

Sorry my fellow RFers. I may love my rangefinders but horses for courses.

Rex

Didier
08-20-2006, 10:06
I'm a big fan of the RD1 but lets not compare apples and oranges. The Canon 5D DSLR is in a different class of camera and very well suited for fashion photography. In fact for any studio work, I would choose a full frame DSLR over the RD1 or even the more capable M8.

Me too. Rangefinder photography is a small niche for some aficionados who appreciate compactness, bright viewfinders and manual working. Most are amateurs (like me), some are pro's (like Sean Reid or Ralph Gibson). But it's definitely not the mainstream thing anymore.

It's a fact SLR cameras have had a lot of advantages over rangefinder cameras since they came up in the late 50ies, long before autofocus and digital. AF and digital have put the balance even more on the SLR side. What most people appreciate on SLR is WYSIWYG - no parallax. And needless to explain what they appreciate on autofous and autoexposure.

Of course one might shoot everything with a rangefinder camera. But I agree to Rex, and though I personally don't use (D)SLRs anymore, for pro use I would do it in 95% of the cases. Studio? DSLR, or even digital medium format. Sports, news, animals, kids, anything moving quickly: DSLR with auto-everything.

Exceptions are street and travelling. And for weddings I'd use cameras with a cloth shutter only - or the Hexar AF in stealth mode. Ever heard a klacking mirror while she said "yes"? I have, at a wedding two years ago, and the people was quite upset about the noise and flashlights the pro photog's motordriven DSLR made during the ceremony, while I could shoot as much as I wanted with a M6/Summilux/ISO400 combo without being noticed.

Didier

dplesot
09-01-2006, 06:00
I'm new in the RF world and bought my R-D1 three weeks ago in Shanghai (S/N 4912). Already upgrade the firmware.

It's a great feeling so far and much more fun than my old Canon Eos-5. Still my wife misses the autofocus stuff.:)

Few pics from my holidays and back to China (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/224394051/in/set-72157594250801274/)

sebastel
09-02-2006, 06:31
:-)

received mine today, too.
battery loaded, upgraded to firmware rel. 2.0, and off i go.

only i need to get back to the manual workflow and the other-way-round leica lens again (coming from nikon recently).

but, it's just great.
sebastian

baudec
09-06-2006, 20:21
OK Tron, US $1800??? for an R-D1s body?????? or am I "ASS"uming from your post.

I travel, and go through Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, and sometimes Tokyo.

So what's the best deal? Warrantee is not an issue, I could always return it on one of my "expeditions" or twist the arm of my Epson rep!

-= Cß=-

ref: Message #79 dated: 07-15-2006, 09:55

TimJM
09-23-2006, 01:59
I too have just bought an RD-1s, together with a Zeiss 35mm f/2.0 lens. It's early days yet but the camera looks promising. I like the combination of mechanical lens and rangefinder but with digital capture. I shall use the Epson when I do not want to lug a lot of heavy SLR gear around.

My only real problem is that, being a spectacle wearer, I cannot see even the 35mm frame lines without moving my eye around the eye piece. Has anyone found a solution to this problem.

Tim

Jim Watts
09-23-2006, 04:55
Tim,
I'm suprised you can't see the 35mm frame lines in one with glasses. I wear glasses and although the 28mm frame and exposure info is a bit of a struggle without scanning (but usable) I don't have any problems with the 35mm frame. Perhaps a different style of glasses that push closer to your eyes would help.

It is possible to get eyepiece correction lenses of varying strengths (the Nikon FM type fit) that screw into RD-1 eyepiece and allow you see all of the frame and provide vision correction. My own take on these though is that although excellent, if you really need to wear glasses all the time, then the hassel of of pushing them up out of the way for each shot is too slow/inconvienient in the log run.

Jim

TimJM
09-23-2006, 07:49
Thanks, Jim. I shall investigate the fit of my glasses, and check out my old pair as well. Tim

danielnorton
09-23-2006, 08:53

Sorry my fellow RFers. I may love my rangefinders but horses for courses.

Rex

I'm a fashion shooter in NYC and I bought the rd-1 to use for personal projects, small magazine work and model's portfolio work. I rented the 5D and didn't like the feel of it so I am sticking with medium format film for bigger mags and catalogs. I basically use the rd-1 for the stuff I shot 35mm film before.

iml
09-25-2006, 04:34
My R-D1s arrived this morning, with CV 35/1.7 Ultron. Seems nicely built, and Robert White very kindly offered to ensure the RF was properly aligned before shipping it, and it certainly seems about right. Really looking forward to getting a chance to shoot with this, it looks to be a very cool camera for those of us who can't or won't afford an M8. And the analogue controls are exactly what I want in a camera.

Ian

billhunt
10-02-2006, 08:54
Hi. Another happy Epson RD-1 owner to join the community.

Having exclusively used SLRs, I was slightly concerned about getting to grips with a Rangefinder (the focusing inparticular). Happy to say I read the instruction booklet in one hour, and was out on the street within two!

And three days later I'm absolutely over the moon - the colours are amazingly vivid, the pictures sharp and precise, and the tonality of the b&w shots beats all SLRs I've owned.

Looking forward to many happy years with my new RD-1!

All the best

Bill

muddyclay.com (http://www.muddyclay.com/newsn.htm)

anaanda
10-15-2006, 18:20
I received my Epson R-D1 last week and I truley love this camera. I feel as though it was designed for me. Even though there are some quality control issues, the designers of this camera deserve high praise. I really love the"film" advance lever, it creates a nice flow. I do need another battery though as I could only shoot about 150 shots in High Quality.

Adam-T
10-22-2006, 01:19
Mine will be here (Hopefully) Monday, I`ve picked up the CV 15 Heliar and the CV 35mm F2.5PC (end of line) and will sort the 28mm side of things in due course but would prefer a 24/25mm lens which is RF coupled .. I also won a Zorki Jupiter-8 on E-Bay for £1.25 !! so that should be interesting :)

Adam-T
10-27-2006, 00:09
Just an update - the R-D1 arrived and I love it ! the 35mm F2.5 CV also but the 15 was a dud, totally blurred out on the RH side wideopen and very noticable at F8 as much as a third of the way into the frame.. I tried another which was even across the image but the Vignetting was a lot darker on the left so I gave up, exchanged it for a 90mm F3.5 APO Lanthar (do these things really have Lanthanum optics in them?) ..
I`m forgetting the 15 altogether and likely going for a ZI 21 instead..

mgrayson
11-04-2006, 13:44
Adam-T,

The CV 15 is marvelous on an M2, and I'll keep it for when the M8 arrives, but I agree that it doesn't seem to fit the R-D1. Still, givent the comparable size and cost of other distortion-free 15s, how can you not own one? :)

Best,

Matt

Joe Mondello
11-24-2006, 11:58
I have to switch my vote since mine is being shipped! :-)

scho
11-28-2006, 09:59
I bought one of the Epson refurbs from the recent wave that appeared briefly on the Epson clearance website.

pstevenin
11-29-2006, 11:45
The poll is no longer accurate. I did thinking having one when I was voting; now I have one!

SteveM(PA)
12-01-2006, 07:29
I first started lurking on RFF a couple years ago, because I heard that this is where all the R-D1 talk was. Soon discovered the joys of all types of rangefinders. Anyway, now I have one...I jumped on the refurb'd train last week. The camera is grossly backfocusing my favorite tele lenses, but it is incredible fun to use. I would like to keep it forever, with the regular service and attention I give to my other rangefinders.

borrel
12-09-2006, 08:56
Add me too. Body nr. 001643

kloudags
12-15-2006, 07:25
Hi,

For those who are really looking for a great deal on an Epson R-D1, Japan is the best place to shop, either for the R-d1 or R-d1s. Although it might be difficult to get the hold on the first one, the second one can be easily found. Tough luck it's Japan, would you say?
Indeed, but you can check the Rakuten website (all in Japanese, yeah i know), but those sites look all the same, so it's not so hard to figure your way around. If you need any help, let me know.

Anyway, price is around 185,000 Y for the Epson R-d1 = 1580 $ = 1200 €
And around 210,000 Y for R-D1s = 1790 $ = 1350 €

........... yeah, think about it, and breath........

So, all in all, i'm guessing the poll might count even more R-D1 happy owners sooner than expected...
For more info about all that (it's totally true, i bought mine this way), just write back on that post.

Cheers.

Stef

ZorkiKat
12-15-2006, 08:02
Hi,

For those who are really looking for a great deal on an Epson R-D1, Japan is the best place to shop, either for the R-d1 or R-d1s. Although it might be difficult to get the hold on the first one, the second one can be easily found. Tough luck it's Japan, would you say?
Indeed, but you can check the Rakuten website (all in Japanese, yeah i know), but those sites look all the same, so it's not so hard to figure your way around. If you need any help, let me know.

I got my R-D1s from Mapcamera listed at Rakuten. You can have the pages translated through an online translator like Worldlingo.com.

Jay

dreamsandart
12-29-2006, 17:05
With the prices now 'reasonable' I found and bought a new R-D1 [over an R-D1s] a few weeks ago here in Japan. So far so good, its a really fun camera to use. Seems an early model 000998. At a few hundred less than an R-D1s, and the rangefinder adjustment screw still there under the hot-shoe, upgraded to the R-D1s firmware was quick and easy it, seemed the best option.

JBFreeheel
01-23-2007, 20:09
Just got used #00007X on Sunday via EMS delivery from Japan (Ebay sale).

Loving it thus far.

rsl
01-25-2007, 12:27
I've had my refurb R-D1, serial number 4611 for a week. Late last week I upgraded the firmware. Today I finally had time to get the rangefinder infinity setting adjusted properly and clean the oil off the sensor. Had to wait to get a new locking cable release before I could do that since I'd left my other one in Colorado. The camera came with an extremely thick adhesive LCD protector which, with difficulty, I peeled off and replaced with a ScreenPatronus cover. As near as I can tell, "refurbished" means you throw it in a box and ship it. Love the camera though. Rich Cutler's information on rangefinder adjustment is invaluable, as is some of the other stuff on RFF.

David Noble
02-06-2007, 23:01
Greetings,

I am a newly hatched RFF member. After months of lurking on this site and then buying an RD-1s, it began to seem silly not to join. I have really enjoyed and profited from the conversations on this site and really appreciate the spirit of the community here.

I am a lucky (knock titanium) Epson owner, I guess, because I have now had almost four months of continuous heavy use out of it with no problems or complaints. It is a joy to use, and my other cameras have languished in the drawer since I bought it. I will admit, however, that purple seems to be the new black here in Tokyo, as in Solms....

Look forward to participating here. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge I have already benefited from.

David

James (DC)
02-07-2007, 16:07
I bought mine in Tokyo last April and have never had anything to complain about. I'm glad that I held on to it when I got the Leica M8, and that camera is now back in Germany being updated.

mn4367
02-18-2007, 14:24
Add me too. Serial 003671. The label is R-D1, but the firmware upgrade was already installed. I got it from a german ebay dealer for less than 1600€.

Ragnar
02-21-2007, 05:37
I've been the lucky owner of a R-D1 for a week: Bought it as a "demo" from a shop, approx. $1600. Lots of dead pixels, but the new firmware took care of that. Had to adjust the viewfinder, which was far off, but managed to do that myself (some training from a Bessa R a few years ago). Serial no. is 1544. After many years with digital SLRs, I'm really enjoying doing it (almost) the old way!
Ragnar

Ragnar
02-28-2007, 00:25
Congrats with the new camera. Did you buy it as a demo in Norway? For 1600$? Thats cheap.
Yup - but that's the price excl. VAT (NOK 12.500 incl). Great camera, something completely different after all those years with digital slr's. But how to cope with lens lust...

emraphoto
03-19-2007, 04:54
3 MONTH OLD RD-1S on it's way from the uk (with warranty from robert white) as i type this. super stoked!!!! on the hunt for a 35mm f2.5 pancake... any hints?

irq506
04-21-2007, 17:59
I hate to trump anyone and make anyone feel a little sick to the stomach... but I managed to score a new in the box shop demo R-D1 for the princely sum of $650.
I think ill go get one of those new 21mm CV lenses a 1gb card and a few extra batteries. Actually, anyone any opinions on those third party batteries which Ive seen available on eBay?

emraphoto
04-21-2007, 18:16
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? please, do tell.

irq506
04-22-2007, 19:03
Well there isnt much to tell.. I work in a camera repair store and this place refers 90% of their repair custom to us, we refer what we dont sell to them, and so we have a nice little reciprocal thing going on. I asked about the camera one day when I was in and thought it was awfully over priced, then months later one of the staff asked me if I was still interested in it as it was "damaged" so I took it, fixed it in five minutes, updated the firmware and brought it back after playing with it for a few days and they offered it to me for $650.
How much do they retail for in US stores -I cant find them on B&H...?

emraphoto
04-24-2007, 10:37
if... you can find one in the us (and the key word is if) they can range anywhere from $1500-3000 US depending on condition etc. a new rd-1s out of the uk will run you about $3000 US. i see the odd used one go here around the $1600-$2000 range.
well scored!
what shop in seattle do you work in may i ask/ it's always good to know folks who can possibly repair an rd-1... i hail form vancouver (though not here right now) so i might send mine your way should problems arise...

tooffy
05-01-2007, 03:45
I'm new to RF. Got a used but in great condition RD1S last week together with Summicron 35mm (4th version). I'm loving it.:)

foto_fool
05-08-2007, 15:00
Picked up an older R-D1 off eBay last week for $1,600 - arrived from Singapore today. The battery was even charged. Happy happy happy, even if the rangefinder patch is a bit migratory (will fix that tomorrow). Here's a couple of boring test shots:

http://images22.fotki.com/v836/photos/1/1126243/4871630/_EPS4336-vi.jpg
Hexanon 50mm/f2, ISO200, 1/1000th @ f2

http://images24.fotki.com/v831/photos/1/1126243/4871630/_EPS4340-vi.jpg
40mm/f2 Summicron-C, ISO200, 1/17th @ f5.6

I am going to have SO MUCH FUN!

- John

James (DC)
05-22-2007, 10:04
I bought a new RD-1s in Tokyo last April and have loved it ever since. No problems at all. I was going to sell it when the M8 came out, but changed my mind, as it is a nice change-up to the M8. There are lenses that I prefer on the RD-1s to the M8, such as the 50mm 'cron, 40mm 'cron and 35mm 'cron v4. On the M8 I like the 24mm/2.8 ASPH, 28mm/2.8 ASPH and 28mm/2.8 Zeiss, and especially the 90mm Elmarit. I'm still waiting for my 50mm/1,4 ASPH.

Burkey
06-08-2007, 09:45
Mine is in route and will have it on Monday. Just ordered an Ultron from the great folks at Photovillage to accompany my 40mm Nokton. Really looking forward to it and hopefully will post a few images from it next Tuesday.

NB23
06-11-2007, 21:02
Talk about a missed poll.

stefan_dinu
06-12-2007, 17:01
After 11 days of witning in front of the post office IT is alt last at home. It is just as my Bessa R2 in matter of looks. I do hope that imagewise is more than I can see on the LCD. Now I only got the 35 Color Skopar PII MC but waiting for some goddies from cameraquest.com. Keep you posted on the gallery.

gavinlg
07-07-2007, 17:22
Got mine too.

simonape
07-27-2007, 12:51
I am a newcomer :)

http://f20.yahoofs.com/hkblog/lQJFmsKBGRqVpdTd6lYmEurbZr0-_7/blog/ap_20070728031355694.jpg?ibAi9qGBQKeNKQAx

Don Gage
07-31-2007, 09:11
Mine arrived yesterday, YAY! Can't wait to start, batteries are charged, SD card is in, strap is on, 35 2.5 is in place and the date is set. I am ready, look out world here I come!
Don.

JNewell
08-19-2007, 06:57
Sign me up. Have had it only a few days now - but very impressed.

Sam2nd
08-19-2007, 14:27
I have mine two weeks ago.
For the moment very happy with her.

Burkey
10-18-2007, 10:57
These all look like old posts, including mine. Gotta' wonder how this thread keeps coming back up to the top.

gt2002
10-18-2007, 12:09
A newbie on R-D1S!

gt2002
10-18-2007, 12:10
A newbie on R-D1S and learning this machine!

anglophone1
10-21-2007, 11:59
I now have THREE!
Clive

Ian Biggar
10-25-2007, 02:37
Got mine a couple of weeks ago along with a 15mm.
What I'm enjoying more than anything else is the sense of connection to the subject matter - more than with any other digital camera - and engaging my brain once again.
Not to mention dusting off the Leica lenses and using them once more.
This forum is a great place of sharing - many thanks for all the input.
Ian

JNewell
12-08-2007, 06:57
Honestly, that's one of the best reasons to shoot RF.

Got mine a couple of weeks ago along with a 15mm.
What I'm enjoying more than anything else is the sense of connection to the subject matter - more than with any other digital camera - and engaging my brain once again.
Not to mention dusting off the Leica lenses and using them once more.
This forum is a great place of sharing - many thanks for all the input.
Ian

emraphoto
12-08-2007, 07:04
that 15 is a real gem man! it has become my fave and is more often than not on the front of my r-d1s or m8. it really forces you to be right in the thick of the action for street stuff!
i love the rythym of shooting with the r-d1... i flip that screen around and jsut spend the day shooting, composing, meeting people.

dacaccia
12-09-2007, 01:26
yes, exactly. I have my R-D1 a couple of days, and, having tested the M8 too, I like both. But with R-D1 I love having no monitor annoyingly scratching at my jacket zip or knob, and I love the oldfashioned lever taking slowly pictures as with M6, not that gun-like multiphotoshooting, no look at the monitor a whole photo session ...

Cheers,
dacaccia

Tuolumne
12-20-2007, 12:57
I now have two. Maybe I'll sell the backup and get an M8. :-)

/T

Kawabatnam
12-21-2007, 05:33
Since "Un homme averti en vaut deux", or "Un homme averti en veut deux", I have 2 R-D1s...
(there's a poor pun in French, too lazy to translate).

sjavid
01-04-2008, 20:51
New rd-1 owner and new member of forum. this forum definitely played a role in my purchasing an rd-1. Thanks to you all!
-Shawn

DrLeoB
01-12-2008, 09:20
Got mine yesterday afternoon and by evenings end had shot:

Canon 0.95
Canon 100/2
Canon 35/1.8
Canon 50/1.8
CV Nokton 50/1.5 asph
Elmar 7.3cm
Summicron 50/2

WHAT FUN !!!!

wfensin
01-16-2008, 13:31
Got my R-D1S on monday with the skopar II 35mm :) Everything works fine.

Michael P.
01-18-2008, 14:07
Got my R-D1S on monday with the skopar II 35mm :) Everything works fine.

Where did you get it, pray tell? I can't find a dealer.

fordfanjpn
01-21-2008, 10:09
Got mine yesterday. My backup is an M8! :D

Bill

gtoffoli
01-21-2008, 12:18
I bought second-hand RD-1 une month ago.
I am very happy, it is a wonderful toy.

Beppe

Tsai
01-21-2008, 13:31
took me 2 years to finally fill this poll out.

YES

FREAKIN' YES

:)

kaiwe
01-22-2008, 12:55
Got one second hand a couple of weeks ago - love it!
28 Ultron (most used), 21 Color Skopar & 50 Color Skopar

Only consideration now is; should I go for a 35 Nokton as well?

Kevin
01-23-2008, 02:15
Finally got a second-hand R-D1 two weeks ago with updated firmware. Only 980 Euro including a 15mm 1.5X finder !!!

Still I think that's a lot of money for a 3-year-old camera which no longer has a warranty!

Is is possible to adjust the vertical alignment as well as the small close-range front-focus problem via hotshoe?

noimmunity
01-23-2008, 03:32
I just did a vertical and horizontal alignment on the RD-1 through the hotshoe. It's maddeningly cramped in there, but not impossible. (some info here, http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18901&highlight=r-d1+alignment but the linked photos are dead). I remember reading that the RD-1s was more difficult to adjust since it requires taking off the entire top plate. Can anybody confirm that? If so, it would make the RD-1 the more desirable model IMO.

Picked up a used RD-1 a couple of months ago. Tried everything from 18mm to 90mm lenses on it. Next up is a 135, hit or miss!

I'm sure a dSLR would have been a better choice in some ways, but I love the RF handling of the RD-1, the IQ is lovable, and I can use the RF lenses I already have. I hope this will last me until the next generation of dRF come out from Zeiss or somebody else...

JNewell
01-23-2008, 04:29
Rich Cutler's site (see sticky at top of this forum) has the best explanation, IMO. There has been disagreement about whether the adjustment in the s variant is different - Rich's site says no, and I think there are posts here in the archives from people who owned both who say the same.

It's not hard, but it takes a while to get a feel for it - then it is a lot easier.

Kevin
01-23-2008, 04:47
On Rich's site (judging from the pictures shown) I cant really see how the angle through the hotshoe opening will permit me to reach the alignment screws. Can the screwdriver head drop straight down or do you have to go in at some extreme angle?

mn4367
01-23-2008, 23:45
On Rich's site (judging from the pictures shown) I cant really see how the angle through the hotshoe opening will permit me to reach the alignment screws. Can the screwdriver head drop straight down or do you have to go in at some extreme angle?

Use a small screw driver (in Germany often called Optiker Werkzeug, used for disassembling glasses). You'll have to incline it depending on which of the screws you have to turn, but it isn't too difficult. Did it twice and had no problems. Be sure to turn the screw driver very carefully, even *minimal* amounts of rotation had an effect on the RF patch position in my camera.

Kevin
01-25-2008, 02:42
Vielen Dank, Michael !!

dnp
01-27-2008, 09:42
Two shiny RD1S's showed up from Japan today - one used and one brand new. I wanted a backup :-)

So far, my impressions are very favorable. As with any device, there are things I'd change. I'm an interface/industrial designer, so NOTHING is ever perfect to me. My thinking is that the build quality is excellent, though I'd like to see some of the plastic gone and replaced with metal (like the film advance lever)... I find it slow and overly complicated to change ISO speeds with the dial. The menu selector knob is interesting, though the "up" position wasn't explained very well and it took a while to figure out what it corresponded to...

The shutter sound isn't bad, but compared to a film M, it's not stealthy. It has a sharp "pang" sound to it that will raise eyebrows. It's not the load "kathunk" that turned me off of the M8, but it's sadly noticable in a setting that requires stealth (i.e. church).

Luigi case on the way... So far, I've tried it with the Leica 50mm 1.2, and it's brilliant. 6 megapixels never looked so good (nor did 8 for that matter)...

I think these cameras are an excellent tool for creating. Will post more impressions as I get some use.

kramjam
02-01-2008, 07:01
Bought mine last week from Robert White- ordered it one afternoon and it arrived the next morning. Its my first rangefinder- absolutely delighted with it

mani
02-20-2008, 07:01
I also ordered and received from Rob White - fastest delivery to Sweden that I've ever experienced!

As far as handling is concerned - no other digital camera I've ever used comes closer to the film-feel.

When it comes to image quality - certainly the handling of color is almost unbelievably good! I was looking at some images on my Apple monitor that I'd shot of objects on the floor at home, and as I looked at the screen and then at the floor I was simply blown away that they were absolutely identical and true-to-life. The same goes for skin-tones and pretty much everything I've shot so far (which isn't so much, admittedly) :rolleyes:

Images a little softer than film - but prints that are amazing!

Just knocking on wood I don't get any technical problems...

Tuolumne
02-20-2008, 07:09
You see, there is such a thing as pixie dust in cameras! Mine gives me amazing photos also. My favorite rangefinder ever, and wouldn't trade it for an M8.

/T

slightwalk
02-21-2008, 06:20
Hello everybody, this is my first post in this fantastic forum. Nice to meet you all!

I received 2 days ago my rd1-s from Matsuita Store in Japan; absolutely amazed how can this camera with its "jubilated" 6.1MP sensor achieve the most of a Leica lens :) . I tested an A3 print from a direct from camera jpeg file, iso200 resampled to 300 dpi and the result was incredibily good in terms of sharpness and color rendition.

I used a summicron 35 2.0 ASPH to make these tests. The only "mmm...but" I have is about the expected film-like appearance. Since I recongnize the quality in every detail that lens brought I don't see that film feel that I saw in most of the photographs made with this camera. I know I'm a novice using the R-D1s and maybe there's some configuration to do in the camera itself ( such a contrast, saturation levels, etc. ) or in the post-processing the raw file.

I read in some review that modern high contrast lenses -as the summicron 35 ASPH - are too "crispy" for the r-d1s and does not have the ability to get all the power this lens can bring up. Mmm...Maybe it's a little bit true but I did not see big problems at this moment in the test I made but again, I don't feel the film-like in my first shots.

So, That's only a feeling ? I noticed most r-d1s users have Voigtländer lenses and these pieces could brought the film feeling that I'm looking for - the same, or almost the same, perception I get of the ektachrome slides made with my Leica m6 and the same lens - .

Thank you all :)

Jose.

Celloman
02-21-2008, 08:06
Got mine a few weeks ago.. it is fun!

MCTuomey
02-21-2008, 11:00
i have one in the pipeline from another RFF'r ... looking forward to its arrival. will post once i have some clicks and, with luck, some o' that pixie dust.

kayus_sanchez
02-23-2008, 07:05
My first rangefinder camara it was to hexar RF, I I wanted to prove with one bessa Ry by I complete I take proving with an Epson R-D1 series: 00042 and elmarit enchants to me is wonderful with my 21 asph and my ultron 21 my favourite lens 1.7.En reality is 40C summicron.Es a delight to be able to drag the drag handle and to draw fotografia in the mind.
A greeting
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kf_studio/
:angel:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2191/2226991180_36446efe05.jpg?v=0http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/2226138129_54197782d7.jpg?v=0 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kf_studio/)

MCTuomey
02-23-2008, 13:24
kayus, your use of light is dazzling ...

Nikonino
03-12-2008, 12:34
Hi from Catalonia, Spain.
I received today my "treasure" from Japan, I´m still in "shock state" after unpacking the camera, sadly I haven´t yet any lense, I´m waiting for arrival a second hand 40mm Ultron for general purpose and a Jupiter-9 for portrait.
Well, "long live to the prince of digital RF" !!!

__hh
03-13-2008, 04:36
I too have succumbed to the DRF lust. Received my shiny R-D1s from matsuiyastore yesterday and have been playing with it. My initial reactions are... "I'm glad I did not invest in the M8 - because I think I am going to be perfectly happy with this "cheaper" version".

Build quality is a lot better than I expected (except for the WB/Q toggle switch that seems a bit loose/flakey and I fear that it would be quite easy to break). The 1:1 VF is heaven. I would have loved a less "clacky" shutter sound.. but this is not a Leica so I can't complain. I love the fact that once set-up properly, I can hide the LCD screen away and still be able to access all those basic photographic options directly from the other "analog" buttons/switches.

Using this camera with my 28mm just feels natural...

In terms of the Seller... I can't praise matsuiyastore enough. They did everything possible to help me minimize my customs import tax :) The response and shipping time is first class. Highly recommended.

If you are on the fence about getting one or not... talk to me and maybe I can push you over :)

Nikonino... I hope that you get your lens soon.... It must be painful having a body and no lenses to use it. I was like that with my M6 for about a month.

Gid
03-13-2008, 04:48
Hung,

Congratulations, you will love this camera and you are right about the M8 ;)

dan denmark
03-20-2008, 22:36
i received my tracking number yesterday from matsuiyastore for my new RD1S. i am interested hunghang, was your customs duty/gst very much? i did not ask them to help me with this as i expected to have to pay about A$350 and did not get the impression i could ask such a thing of them. i will have to drive to melbourne to claim the camera and pay Customs, i think, as i live a good way out of the city area. i am hoping it wll be here next weekend or so...i want to use it for a job the following week with my regular film camera gear while i am in australia. -dd

dan denmark
03-25-2008, 03:55
and it arrived today, after six days only. no customs. matsuiyastore came to the party...

tajart
04-06-2008, 06:02
just joined the ranks yesterday, with a used rd1- now to the v. upgrade to rd1-s. love the subtlety of the shutter quietness (among other things).
nice to finally have one in hand.

mobilexile
04-19-2008, 10:24
Hoping to get mine on Monday -- ordered from Matsuita Store, Japan.

ampguy
04-19-2008, 10:32
If you use one of the "film" settings and/or use high ISO, you can get film like photos from the RD1 with Cron 35/2 asph.

Hello everybody, this is my first post in this fantastic forum. Nice to meet you all!

I received 2 days ago my rd1-s from Matsuita Store in Japan; absolutely amazed how can this camera with its "jubilated" 6.1MP sensor achieve the most of a Leica lens :) . I tested an A3 print from a direct from camera jpeg file, iso200 resampled to 300 dpi and the result was incredibily good in terms of sharpness and color rendition.

I used a summicron 35 2.0 ASPH to make these tests. The only "mmm...but" I have is about the expected film-like appearance. Since I recongnize the quality in every detail that lens brought I don't see that film feel that I saw in most of the photographs made with this camera. I know I'm a novice using the R-D1s and maybe there's some configuration to do in the camera itself ( such a contrast, saturation levels, etc. ) or in the post-processing the raw file.

I read in some review that modern high contrast lenses -as the summicron 35 ASPH - are too "crispy" for the r-d1s and does not have the ability to get all the power this lens can bring up. Mmm...Maybe it's a little bit true but I did not see big problems at this moment in the test I made but again, I don't feel the film-like in my first shots.

So, That's only a feeling ? I noticed most r-d1s users have Voigtländer lenses and these pieces could brought the film feeling that I'm looking for - the same, or almost the same, perception I get of the ektachrome slides made with my Leica m6 and the same lens - .

Thank you all :)

Jose.