PDA

View Full Version : my first project of '07...wanna join in?

back alley
12-30-2006, 15:04
ok, so maybe i'm a few days ahead of myself ;)

been thinking about projects to replace freezing my ass off outside during the cold of winter and thankfully i have come up with a couple.

i thought i'd invite all of you to play too, if ya want!
and we can keep it going when it warms up if you like.

alright, today i went to my local camera store, the nice pro shop, (played with an m8) and bought a simple light stand, a reflector with socket and some 250w tungsten bulbs. a very basic outfit and not very expensive.

my project is...one light portraits.

my plan (yours can vary of course) is to send out an email to my friends and invite them to pose, maybe one a month for the next 12 months.
(hhmmm, i can make calendars and give them out for christmas and everyone will know each other)

so, the project is to create some fine looking portraits, using a one light set up and of course, the rangefinder camera of your choosing.

ok, who's in????

joe

akptc
12-30-2006, 15:32
Joe, this sounds like fun. But really, if all you want to do is stay warm, you are very welcome to come visit us in Phoenix. Bring snow, please.

Wayne R. Scott
12-30-2006, 15:32
I think I might just try this also.

Can I use one monolight instead of the hot light? I started out many years ago lighting my portraits with a similar set up. I found that the bulb burnt out pretty quickly. I switched to 500 watt halogen work lamps from home improvement store. Brighter light and it cooked my subjects quicker:)

Wayne

Wayne R. Scott
12-30-2006, 15:34
Joe, this sounds like fun. But really, if all you want to do is stay warm, you are very welcome to come visit us in Phoenix. Bring snow, please.

When I lived in Phoenix we had two seasons each year, Summer and then Hell.

Wayne

Marc Jutras
12-30-2006, 16:19
I often shoot with only one flash through or reflecting off an umbrella. I will use a second one to add back or fill light but usually, the one umbrella setup is very nice.

back alley
12-30-2006, 17:36
a monolight is fine.
hot lights or strobe is ok or candlelight...one light is the key.

right now, phoenix oe hell, right now either sounds good and warm.

anyone else interested?

joe

raid
12-30-2006, 17:42
I am interested. I have just done some portrait photos with candle light (3 candles), and they came out nicely I am told.

Raid

jody
12-30-2006, 17:47
I'm in one light is how I do most stuff anyway. Does one window count as one light.

MelanieC
12-30-2006, 17:52
Can I just use a lamp?

back alley
12-30-2006, 17:53
welcome to both of you.

one light source so i think one window is cool.

the more the merrier.
the goal is new stuff only please, made just for this project.
after we have our first portrait posted i'll make it a sticky.

back alley
12-30-2006, 17:54
lamps are cool!

sherm
12-30-2006, 17:59
joe

I'm in......... sounds like a neat idea.

Happy New Year!!

Scott

Bryce
12-30-2006, 18:53
Joe-
I haven't got an appropriate rangefinder. Can I use my TLR? or how about a Pentax K-cam?

Raid-
Three candles? Neat concept if you could get enough light to get by! Exposure must've been very easy to calculate- let's see, that's about three candlepower, right?

back alley
12-30-2006, 19:02
bryce, you can be our token non rf shooter!

;)

raid
12-30-2006, 19:13
Joe-
I haven't got an appropriate rangefinder. Can I use my TLR? or how about a Pentax K-cam?

Raid-
Three candles? Neat concept if you could get enough light to get by! Exposure must've been very easy to calculate- let's see, that's about three candlepower, right?

Joe: I was testing ultra-fast 50mm lenses, so I got by.

Raid

back alley
12-30-2006, 19:19
not joe, raid, bryce...

dostacos
12-30-2006, 19:51
I may just have to join in

Bryce
12-30-2006, 19:57
Joe-
That's gracious of you. I'll use the TLR since it represents an "obsolete" camera design. Closer to a rangefinder in that way than a 35mm Pentax...

Todd.Hanz
12-30-2006, 19:58
I'll give it a go, maybe mix in some 4x5 stuff ;)

dagabel
12-30-2006, 20:07
May I join later in the year? I'm temporarily (very, I hope) rangfinder-less as the shutter of my Ambi Silette is jammed, and I'm currently using my old Canon FTb. I'm debating whether to have it repaired or just start saving for a new kit.

Duane

erikhaugsby
12-30-2006, 20:09
Bring snow, please.

but please don't steal it all from us--the cities haven't gotten much more than an inch (:eek:) of the white stuff all year...it's driving me absolutely bonkers!

more on topic, I'd be much more interested in this project if portraits were my thing; as is I'm not much a fan of posed persons. Good luck to those of you who do.

back alley
12-30-2006, 20:51
if you can't join in now then by all means join in when it works for you.

Marc-A.
12-30-2006, 21:47
I'm in ... that's fun, and now I have a resolution for 2007 :)
Marc-A.

FrankS
12-30-2006, 21:57
Me too .

jlw
12-30-2006, 22:02
I don't know that I'll be able to do it regularly enough to be a "project," but I think I'll have to try it. I usually feel I need to use three or four lights even for a simple shot, so it would be good to get out of that rut.

Funny this topic should come up now... the other day I was looking for some old pictures and found this one, which I'm pretty sure I lit with only one light. I had just been thinking how much I liked it and how I should try that technique again someday... must be "an idea whose time has come"!

http://homepage.mac.com/jlw/photo/suzanne.jpg

Igor.Burshteyn
12-31-2006, 00:51
nice idea. Is our sun counted as one light? ;)
Just a few days ago I came across some work by Laurent Orseau that I personally liked very much
http://lorseau.hinah.com
There was similar project implemented
http://lorseau.hinah.com/gallery.php?c=photo&s=human&g=colleague&p=1&im=12

nico
12-31-2006, 03:01
one light source so i think one window is cool...

I'm in too Joe, it's a good idea.
Ciao
Nico

Sparrow
12-31-2006, 03:42
I’m in,
think the candle thing could work, just need a really big candle

markinlondon
12-31-2006, 05:57
Have a look out for Pictorial Lighting by William Mortenson. He had a single light technique that produces surprisingly good results. I'm sure there'd be something on line if you search a bit harder than I just did.

raid
12-31-2006, 06:51
not joe, raid, bryce...

Sorry Joe and Bryce. I meant Bryce who commented on my comment.

Raid

BJ Bignell
12-31-2006, 07:49
Joe-

Raid-
Three candles? Neat concept if you could get enough light to get by! Exposure must've been very easy to calculate- let's see, that's about three candlepower, right?What's an "appropriate rangefinder" for portraits? I mean, you have a rangefinder with a lens on it, right? Portraits don't have to be taken with teles; wide-angle portraits can be interesting, too... :)

BJ Bignell
12-31-2006, 07:52
Oh, I also meant to say, "I'm in."

One a month, you say? I should be able to fail miserably at that... :bang: More often, and it'd just be depressing! :D

back alley
12-31-2006, 09:43
does not have to be one a month.
can be one for the whole project.

i want to do one a month but the point of the project is one light portraits.

back alley
01-05-2007, 18:11
a bit of an update on this project...

as my sig says, this is the year of the project for me and so i have added a twist to the one light portrait project.
for as long as i and my friends can last i am doing one portrait every sunday.
i am calling it my sap - sunday afternoon portrait session.
so far i am booked into march. the plan is to post pics here and to start a new blog so all my sitters have one easy place to go and see themselves and compare portraits.
it's now also going to be part film and part digital shooting.

joe

raid
01-05-2007, 20:22
Joe: The project sounds great to me. By the way, we had F75 today. I hope that it was not cold where you live.

Raid

back alley
01-05-2007, 20:27
our weather has been unseasonably warm, in the plus degrees.
but that is over and we are back to very cold temps again.

as to the project, i'm starting to worry about having all the portraits looking the same, what with using only one light.

wish me luck.

physiognomy
01-05-2007, 21:01
I'm in Joe. My gf & I have been planning on doing some portraits of each other for a while now... I think she will be interested in the single light source idea.

Peter

ps All of you are very welcome to take your share of our snow... It's bloody miserable here & we are expecting more next week.

amateriat
01-05-2007, 21:38
but please don't steal it all from us--the cities haven't gotten much more than an inch (:eek:) of the white stuff all year...it's driving me absolutely bonkers!

Think you've got it bad? Over here, not a snowflake thus far (although we've been promised a bit in a few days...not holding my breath).

Joe: I think I'm in on this project as well. Should be interesting.

- Barrett

BJ Bignell
01-06-2007, 11:18
as to the project, i'm starting to worry about having all the portraits looking the same, what with using only one light.

wish me luck.Good luck! I was watching a DVD last night, and got a good idea for a single light source; the only trick now (besides finding someone to sit for the portrait) is to somehow make/find a similar light source... And no, I won't tell! You'll have to wait and see the results. ;)

FrankS
01-06-2007, 11:25

wish me luck.

Do all your friends look the same? :) Don't worry, their individual character will come shining through.

FrankS
01-06-2007, 11:28
The similar lighting and background will give this project some continuity. That's a good thing.

raid
01-06-2007, 13:39
Joe: Don't worry about the "one light" situation. There are different ways of using one light source. In my recent testing of 50mm lenses, it was requested that I use candle light only. With ASA 200 film, you can get f 2.0 at 1/8. When I had my daughter pose, I took away the candles and used a small flourescent light. I also have taken photos of my daughter, sitting beside the window in her room. All three methods can give very nice results.

Raid

back alley
01-06-2007, 17:02
i'm sure it will all work out in the end.

i start tomorrow afternoon with my buddy bruce.
i have to admit i was surprised at how many of the guys volunteered to sit.
i had thought the women would offer and while some did there are more men so far.

JeffGreene
01-06-2007, 18:12
Joe:

I'm in as well. What about the background. Will you be using a consistent one or not?

back alley
01-06-2007, 20:12
Joe:

I'm in as well. What about the background. Will you be using a consistent one or not?

i have not decided.

i have a large room that acts as a sitting room, dining room combo. in it i have a very small eating area that is made to look like a corner table in a bistro with a small table for 2. i was thinking of using that.
but i also have another corner with a fireplace and that might make for a cozy background too.

physiognomy
01-23-2007, 13:56
I was hoping to have something to post during Jan, but it looks like I'm running out of time...

Over the weekend I did get to take some shots with the same lighting setup I used for this self portrait (click) (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/349509881_8520368e2c.jpg?v=0). The light source was a single 7w 6500k compact flourescent bulb reflected back by the bathroom mirror. I used my Nicca IIIS with both a Nikkor 50/2 & CV 35/2.5 set up on a tripod facing the mirror, but out of the frame. I wanted to do this in b+w since I shoot so much colour & loaded a roll of Era 100, but I'll have to finish the roll & work on getting some of my backlog developed before I see any results.

Working with a mirror & not being able to make easy fine composition adjustments was more of a pain than I'd like... Next time the subject won't be me!

Peter

MartinP
01-23-2007, 14:15
Hmmmm, silly question - but does a reflector count as a light source ? I have some ideas. . .

kaiyen
01-23-2007, 14:44
Well, I just posted on Joe's blog about whether a reflector violates the 1 light source rule. Even a soft reflector would help a lot in 1 light situations. Maybe even just a white wall on that side.

allan

back alley
01-23-2007, 14:46
should be no problem as long as the original light source is only one light.

Kent
02-05-2007, 08:19
Hi!

Where do you / do we publish our shots? (Sorry, Newbie question!)

back alley
02-05-2007, 08:23
post here (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34253)

welcome to the forum.
joe

Kent
02-06-2007, 09:41
Thanks, mate! And sorry about me being too stupid to see the link. ;)

back alley
02-06-2007, 09:43
no worries kent!

most sites have the link in a different colour.
joe