PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite f-stop in 35mm photography?

SDK
12-24-2006, 14:38
Alright, I used to love f/11 back in my college days, because with a 28mm lens you can get lots of depth of field. I'd stop down that far whenever there was light enough for it. As I've matured I realized I don't always want everything equally sharp in a picture, and I've gravitated lower to f/4 or f/5.6 as my usual apertures.

What do you find yourself using most these days?

Update Note: This poll is set up for 35mm photography, not medium or large format. I have also set it so you can pick more than one aperture, if you so desire.

RayPA
12-24-2006, 14:46
Alright, I used to love f/11 back in my college days, because with a 28mm lens you can get lots of depth of field. I'd stop down that far whenever there was light enough for it. As I've matured I realized I don't always want everything equally sharp in a picture, and Ive gravitated lower to f/4 or f/5.6 as my usual apertures.

I'm usually between f11 and f4. But the most important f-stop for me is the widest f-stop on the lens.

pdx138
12-24-2006, 14:54
I almost couldn't decide between f2 and f5.6. I use f2 so often because I am always trying to get the most light out of a lowlight situation and I like the shallow depth of field. But I also like 5.6, it has a very natural feel to it. lower than 5.6 feels like the DOF is such a dominant part of the image. 5.6 allows interesting DOF effect but in a subtle way. I only ever go higher than 5.6 if I'm street shooting using hyperfocus or doing landscape/tourist shots. Note: All my DOF comments pertain to 50mm or wider, I don't really shoot longer than 50, but I know DOF decreases so I might have a different opinion if I shot longer lenses.

Keith
12-24-2006, 15:03
Hey, you forgot f64 ... what about Ansel and his mates?:D

I'm hooked on shooting wide open ... I love the depth of field ... or lack of it should I say! Hopefully I'll grow out of that. :o

teo
12-24-2006, 15:04
Ehm... oops! I voted 5,6, but forgot to select also 1,4.
I guess most people does the same: the (probably) optimal (5,6) f stop whenever they can, the widest when the sun goes down...

Bryce
12-24-2006, 15:39
I haven't got a favorite- I use the one that'll make what I feel will give the most impact, which is just as often "all sharp" as not. I didn't vote.
I guess I like Weegee's attitude- f/8 and be there.

dexdog
12-24-2006, 15:58
favorite is f2; most often used is f8

nico
12-24-2006, 16:16
i have no favourite aperture, but I love my nokton and its widest f/1,5 for lowlight situation. Fast lenses are one of the reasons why I passed to rf photography, so my vote goes to 1,4 :)
ciao
nico

dreamsandart
12-24-2006, 16:38
Back when my pre-ASPH 35 Summilux was my main lens it was in the 5.6-8 range with it opened up more 'as needed' with a shutter speed in mind to keep it steady hand held.

But since the 35 ASPH days have come its 1.4 without reservation. With the 50 its always been opened up 1.4-2.8 for the 'look' even if there was some fall off in image quality in the outer part of the frame, the only time I feel I have to stop down with the pre-ASPH Summilux 50 is in the close up range.

dreamsandart
12-24-2006, 16:44
And to add a bit of thought, one of the main reasons I use a rangefinder [Leica] is because of the quality/look of the fast lenses ( why buy a fast lens if you are not going to use that speed? ) in combination with the holdability of the camera.

DavidH
12-24-2006, 17:40
f2.8 - often have to use f5.6 or f8 dependent on subject but f2.8 is my favourite...

jlw
12-24-2006, 18:51
How come f/0.95 is not on the list?

SDK
12-24-2006, 19:32
:o Oh well, neither is f/22!

Todd.Hanz
12-24-2006, 21:18
f4, cause I like the subject well focused and the rest fuzzy ;)

Todd

emraphoto
12-24-2006, 21:35
f16 on the street.
f2 anywhere else.

f1/ anybody?

Nachkebia
12-24-2006, 21:39
My fave is f/4 (it is as sharp as it should be, slight miss focus can be hiden, still enough to blur things up)

ffttklackdedeng
12-25-2006, 02:15
I prefer f/4, too. 2 stops down from wide open seems to improve the quality far enough so I can spend the rest of the light on a shorter shutter speed. But then again, I use almost all f-stops 'till f/8..

Robert
12-25-2006, 03:34
My most often used is f8 too but f2 with my 50mm summicron gives me great bokeh.

Pherdinand
12-25-2006, 06:39
My fav f-stop is the one that allows for the most appropiate depth of field, and still allows for a proper shutter speed.
:rolleyes:

foolproof
12-25-2006, 06:56
im with ferdinand on this one. am i the only one that thinks this is a little bit of a stupid question ?

jlw
12-25-2006, 07:01
im with ferdinand on this one. am i the only one that thinks this is a little bit of a stupid question ?

I had assumed that it was a joke question satirizing our collective obsession with polls and technical minutiae.

For that matter, the title asks "What is your favorite f-stop", but the actual poll question is, "What is your favorite aperture?" If you think about the implications of this, it could be not only a joke question, but a dirty joke question...

JonasYip
12-25-2006, 07:21

Well, people are answering with detailed and well-thought out answers, with definite preferences for the results at very specific apertures. So seems like a valid question after all ( or at least valid answers :) )

I'm not quite so detailed about aperture choice: I like it wide-open. So I voted 1.4 which applies to many of my lenses. Else it's 2.

I was surprised not to see 1.0 on the list and only one comment about that though.

j

Gabriel M.A.
12-25-2006, 07:25
Well, people are answering with detailed and well-thought out answers
Yep. Any answer is an insight into their f/stop preference. I find I gravitate towards f/1.4 -- Those who find the question neurologically-challenged, I think you can infer that they don't have a preference? My twopence.

foolproof
12-25-2006, 07:42
Those who find the question neurologically-challenged, I think you can infer that they don't have a preference? My twopence.

nice. i see someone didnt get want they wanted off santa

thorirv
12-25-2006, 23:14
foolproof said it, but i must admit to be slightly surprised that it didn't show up until page four. or maybe i shouldn't...

dmr
12-25-2006, 23:20
Good gawd (y'all), this is a hard one. I selected 2.8. Just below max, so you get a bit of depth, but open enough to allow good available light shots.

thorirv
12-25-2006, 23:39
is it just me, or has the focus of this website shifted completely towards gear/tech stuff (or antitech in many cases), or is photography still of interest around here? i don't mean to be rude, but when i started lurking around this place, i had the feeling that this was a place of photographers (on whatever level they might be), but it sure doesn't feel that way today..

there's another active thread just below, it's titled "when did it all go wrong". needless to say it's about gear, but when i read the title i thought of rff.

again, it's not my intention to be rude, but i do find it a rather sad turn.

Diomedes
12-26-2006, 00:05
I prefer f/4 also, especially with my J8 (Zorki) or Yashinon (Yashica). Also f2 and f11…

Avotius
12-26-2006, 02:42
I dont have a favorite but I find that 8 serves me well for just about everything on the streets

Nachkebia
12-26-2006, 02:51
I dont have a favorite but I find that 8 serves me well for just about everything on the streets

Specialy with your amazing Canon lens`s :rolleyes: :D :D

jlw
12-26-2006, 08:53
is it just me, or has the focus of this website shifted completely towards gear/tech stuff (or antitech in many cases), or is photography still of interest around here? i don't mean to be rude, but when i started lurking around this place, i had the feeling that this was a place of photographers (on whatever level they might be), but it sure doesn't feel that way today.

I don't mean to be rude, but this is something of a recurring complaint -- it's more or less RFF's version of "Christmas has become too commercial."

Discussion emphasis in the forums does seem to oscillate between the gear-oriented and the photography-oriented (I suspect time of year has something to do with it) although I think you'll find that if you visit the gallery section regularly, that's where you'll find both a lot of worthwhile images and some rather thoughtful commentary about them.

While I've enjoyed many of the photography-related discussions in which I've participated, it's necessary to keep in mind that:

1) This is Rangefinder Forum, which is a gear-based distinction right off the bat. Many people, including myself, feel that there really is such a thing as a "rangefinder aesthetic" and that it's interesting to discuss this phenomenon and its implications, but many others don't.

2) Like it or not, a forum is primarily a word medium, a fact which imposes limitations on the discussion of visual media. The ability to attach or link images is useful in providing a reference to works with which we're all familiar, but doesn't allow enough detail for a nuanced discussion of works with which we're not.

That means that starting a discussion along the lines of "Klima's new gallery show is just sublime, isn't it?" or "Considering her age and the volume of work she produced, would Francesca Woodman have such a big reputation if it weren't for her tragic backstory?" isn't likely to go far, simply because hardly anybody else will have much of an idea of what you're talking about.

I used to participate in a couple of online dance forums, but dropped out for that very reason: the group's geographic distribution was so wide that there was no point in talking about Concert X or Choreographer Y since nobody else was likely to be familiar with the topic -- so the whole thing seemed to be merely an intellectual badminton match consisting of batting generalizations and prejudices about well-known figures back and forth.

Gabriel M.A.
12-26-2006, 09:28
nice. i see someone didnt get want they wanted off santa
I'm sorry if I offended you when I commented after you said that the question was stupid. In Holiday Cheer, I apologize. :o

Alex Krasotkin
12-26-2006, 10:42
f/4 - f/5.6

floydking
12-26-2006, 10:47
I like to keep reasonably near to the optimum level of the lens while keeping things fairly sharp at the moment. The former usually being f8, consequently I think I use f11 more than anything else. Though I keep my mind open to anything depending on the situation. f11 is my preset number.

RayPA
12-26-2006, 10:56
is it just me, or has the focus of this website shifted completely towards gear/tech stuff (or antitech in many cases), or is photography still of interest around here? i don't mean to be rude, but when i started lurking around this place, i had the feeling that this was a place of photographers (on whatever level they might be), but it sure doesn't feel that way today..

there's another active thread just below, it's titled "when did it all go wrong". needless to say it's about gear, but when i read the title i thought of rff.

again, it's not my intention to be rude, but i do find it a rather sad turn.

it is a fairly common complaint. the site is afterall based on hardware. if you look around you'll see that there is some effort here to balance things out. the best way to help maintain that balance (or tip one way or the other) is to offer up some alternative. while this is a hardware thread/poll (much less so than others), I think at heart it is still a discussion about photography.

:)

SDK
12-26-2006, 14:45
Yeah Ray, that was the point to get off the more common topics like "What's the best lens?" or "What's the best camera body?" While lens design can have a profound effect on many image qualities, and camera design effects the experience of capturing the image for the photographer, the f-stop choice is pretty important to the look of a photo. After lens selection, film type, and focus distance, the aperture used to take a photo usually has the next most profound effect on the resulting image (though perhaps not for special cases like sport photography where shutter speed is more important).

In rangefinders, unlike SLRs, the photographer gets no direct preview of depth of field, so the RF operator has to have a bit of imagination to preview the result. In that respect it resembles the umpredictability of the art of firing pottery. My boyfriend makes pots, and while he is a master at decorating pottery, he never knows exactly what the final result will be until the kiln cools and the ceramics come out. Sometimes there is more oxidation and colors ar brighter and lighter, sometimes there is more chemical reduction in the firing, and the glazes are darker and earthier in tone. So it is with depth of field and out of focus effects in photography. Isn't it wonderful when everything works and you get a magical image at the end?

In 35mm photography, I tend to shy away from f/11 and f/8 these days as those apertures start to reduce resolution a bit due to diffraction, and I stopped using f/16 for the same reason, except in occasional macro photos. I'm surprised anyone picked f/16, which may produce a lot of depth of field, but won't allow good enlargement past 4X. F/5.6 is my default setting during the day. And at night I open up all the way, depending on what lens I have, unless I'm doing tripod work.

Anyway, I was just curious as to how other people were thinking about these things, and I'm glad some people didn't think it was a silly joke. It was not meant to be.

Be happy and take good photos, Steve Keirstead.

like2fiddle
12-26-2006, 15:12
Favorite? 5.6 to 8

What I actually shoot 95% of the time, because I usually shoot indoors - as open as the lens will go. I am beginning to experiment with faster film - just shot a roll of Ilford 3200 over the weekend, and pushing 400 film more often, so perhaps I'll be sliding up to 2.8 to 5.6 more, we'll see...

bobkonos
12-26-2006, 15:40
f8 for all lenses except the 15mm Heliar; the Bessa L with that lens gets 400 speed film so I can use f16 or f22 and shoot with confidence for lots of depth of field.

BJ Bignell
12-27-2006, 08:01
I won't vote for a favourite, because I don't think I really know.

However, I do know that with a 50mm lens at close focus distances, I use f/4 & f/5.6 a lot, to restrain - without completely losing - the d.o.f.

ChrisPlatt
12-27-2006, 13:30
Dunno. What's your favorite shutter speed?

Chris

landsknechte
12-27-2006, 14:41
I tend to alternate between about f/7.1 and whatever the widest aperture on the given lens is.

einolu
12-27-2006, 15:11
back when i shot with my jupiter 3, it was f1.5, even if I was on the beach. on my 35mm skopar I dont really 'love' any of them, but usually end up shooting f2.5,

kdemas
12-28-2006, 21:48
That one is easy. F1.0, Noctilux. It's really something special.

Kent

3js
12-29-2006, 08:32
Wow, seems like a lots of potrait shooters here? For me itīs f 11 everytime thereīs enough light for it. And the shutter speed is hopefully over 1/125...
Otherwise:bang: itīs blurred again:bang:

John Rountree
12-29-2006, 08:40
Maybe the tension here (about gear vs. photography) has to do with the way the question is phrased. To ask someone what their "favorite" aperture settting seems to indicate that nothing else matters when taking a picture. As I tell my students, there are only two creative controls on the camera: motion and D-O-F. And, obviously, they are interlinked. Framing and composition are not inherrant to the mechanical operation of the camera. If your passion is landscape but you slavishly shoot at f/2 you will probably have many photos that are less than satisfying. If ,on the other hand, you spend your time shoting portraits you will soon learn that f/11 often produces a cluttered image that takes away from your subject. That being said, it is perfectly understandable that lenses have a certain "look" at various apertures and you may find that you conciously, or unconciously, choose your subject to take full advantage of the lens you are using. But, with every photograph you must first make a decision, what is most important to this image: motion (showing motion or stopping motion and also considering camera shake) or is it
D-O-F (large or small)? If motion is your criterion then the aperture falls to whatever works for correct exposure. If D-O-F is the criterion, then the shutter is relegated to simply keeping the exposure in tact.

Flyfisher Tom
12-29-2006, 08:47
for quickness ... f16 1/250 400 ISO

for everything else, well it depends, doesn't it ;)

3js
12-29-2006, 09:17
for quickness ... f16 1/250 400 ISO

for everything else, well it depends, doesn't it ;)

Yes, but what about the diffraction:D :D

Graham Line
12-29-2006, 10:39
'way back when, a relative gave me his cast-off Argus C3 to start me down this awful path ... he said "try to shoot everything at f/11 or f/16 so everything will be sharp."
Took me a year or two, and some better advice, to find out that led to horrible movement problems with Plus-X. Uncle's pictures were front-lit daylight group shots in front of Japanese temples and the Eiffel Tower, while I was trying to be Eugene Smith and Robert Capa. :eek:
Since then 5.6 has been my friend, with indoor excursions into the widest apertures available. And almost any cheap-o lens looks decent at 5.6.
At least it taught me that well-meant advice isn't universal.

Graham Line
12-29-2006, 10:47
Originally Posted by thorirv
is it just me, or has the focus of this website shifted completely towards gear/tech stuff (or antitech in many cases), or is photography still of interest around here? i don't mean to be rude, but when i started lurking around this place, i had the feeling that this was a place of photographers (on whatever level they might be), but it sure doesn't feel that way today.

Depends where you hang out. I skim the new posts and then look at the gallery to see what's new. That's where the pictures are, and commenting and PM'ing have led to some good technique and composition questions. You get out what you put in.

"Tedium," said Sunny, which here means "I'm sure we have discussed all of these issues before and reached no satisfactory conclusion."

Russ
12-29-2006, 10:59
I don't eally have a favorite f/stop. Each scene, requires the f/stop, that will most accurately convey what you want to show. It could be W-O, or at f/32...

Russ

tomtodeath
12-30-2006, 16:17
wide open!!

Robert Price
01-24-2007, 05:30
Well to be honest I don't really have a favorite. It really depends on my Mood, and the camera I happen to be useing at the time. Also the weather some times dictates what I use.

Roma
01-24-2007, 05:43
F2.0 indoors, F8 outdoors for me most of the time.

AusDLK
01-24-2007, 06:36
Sorry, this is a dumb question.

It's like asking: "What's your favorite gear to drive your car in?"

Or: "What's your favorite oven temperature?"

The answer is always: "What ever it needs to be to get the job done."

Sheesh...

Robin Harrison
01-24-2007, 07:09
Sorry, this is a dumb question.

It's like asking: "What's your favorite gear to drive your car in?"

Or: "What's your favorite oven temperature?"

The answer is always: "What ever it needs to be to get the job done."

Sheesh...

2nd gear.
200° C.
f/4

You always have a choice in all these situations. Do you prefer to rev in 2nd or cruise in 3rd? Cook quick and fast or long and slow? Shoot with a narrow depth of field, a deep depth of field, or a just-so (generally f4 in most situations for me) depth of field. Yes - the choices involce compromises, but they do exist.

Will
01-24-2007, 07:20
2nd gear.
200° C.
f/4

You always have a choice in all these situations. Do you prefer to rev in 2nd or cruise in 3rd? Cook quick and fast or long and slow? Shoot with a narrow depth of field, a deep depth of field, or a just-so (generally f4 in most situations for me) depth of field. Yes - the choices involce compromises, but they do exist.

2nd
Oven? huh???
f/2.8

Robin, I guess there are not too many choices for gunning out of a corner after desent entry, what else can you use?

Sparrow
01-24-2007, 07:28
My Mum uses 2nd almost all the time

:D

Robin Harrison
01-24-2007, 07:38
2nd
Oven? huh???
f/2.8

Robin, I guess there are not too many choices for gunning out of a corner after desent entry, what else can you use?

Too true. But corners aside, 2nd would still be my favourite for one reason: my uncle's Nissan Skyline R31. Put it in first, accelerate. Fine. Put it in second, accelerate. Fine...no wait...what is happening...what has happended to my stomach? Why is everything blurry? Awesome turbo lag leads to huge smiles. :) :)

dnk512
01-24-2007, 07:44
I use all manual cameras and f5.6 is my usual starting point. In 35mm and medium format. Of course I open and close as needed, but, my mid point and most often used is 5.6. That is the number I set my camera as I approach a photo op. That and my speed set at 1/60 sec. Easy to go 2 steps up or down on either aperture or speed and still be in good values for many shooting situations. Very bright or very dark situations and some older lenses with sweet spots require different approach.

OurManInTangier
01-24-2007, 12:06
Maybe the tension here (about gear vs. photography) has to do with the way the question is phrased. To ask someone what their "favorite" aperture settting seems to indicate that nothing else matters when taking a picture. As I tell my students, there are only two creative controls on the camera: motion and D-O-F. And, obviously, they are interlinked. Framing and composition are not inherrant to the mechanical operation of the camera. If your passion is landscape but you slavishly shoot at f/2 you will probably have many photos that are less than satisfying. If ,on the other hand, you spend your time shoting portraits you will soon learn that f/11 often produces a cluttered image that takes away from your subject. That being said, it is perfectly understandable that lenses have a certain "look" at various apertures and you may find that you conciously, or unconciously, choose your subject to take full advantage of the lens you are using. But, with every photograph you must first make a decision, what is most important to this image: motion (showing motion or stopping motion and also considering camera shake) or is it
D-O-F (large or small)? If motion is your criterion then the aperture falls to whatever works for correct exposure. If D-O-F is the criterion, then the shutter is relegated to simply keeping the exposure in tact.
Pretty much agree with the sentiments here.Small apertures will give great results for some subjects whilst others work better with a large aperture, sometimes the choice is taken away somewhat. The one that I'm not massively keen on is f/8 as by its very nature its neither here nor there - having said that, I use it quite alot as its nature makes it very useful. Experimenting with f/1.5 alot at the moment as Gid has lent me his CV Nokton 1.5.

sirius
01-24-2007, 12:26
I like low light photography and seem to always have to shoot with the lens as wide as it goes....

Steve Bellayr
01-24-2007, 14:03
Pictures of people...f/4 Love to blur that background

rogue_designer
01-24-2007, 14:09

or 2.8 seem to be defaults for me these days. Unless it's sunny and I forgot to finish off the 400 film. Then It's back to good ol' f8.

KoNickon
01-24-2007, 14:11
If limited depth of field isn't a desired effect, then f8 or f5.6. I figure that's about its best aperture (some three element lenses are maybe better at f11).

Pablito
01-24-2007, 14:32
chicken.......or lasagna

Spyderman
01-25-2007, 01:28
It depends on focal length of the lens, the effect I'm trying to reach and also the particular lens.

For example my Jupiter-8 (50/2) and Jupiter-9 (85/2): f/2 in available darkness, 2.8 - 4 for portraits, 5.6 - 11 for street. I try to stop down at least one stop to improve contrast and sharpness. With CV 35/2.5 the only difference is that I don't have to stop down to improve quality so I can take portraits at 2.5.

shutterfiend
01-25-2007, 05:28
I like shooting wide open when the solitory subject is close and I have time to focus. I can't be bothered with trees sticking out of people's heads.

DougK
01-26-2007, 15:32
I mostly shoot outdoors/landscape/things-that-don't-move-much and I'm usually looking for the most depth of field I can get when I'm on a tripod. Handheld, it's whatever aperture lets me get the shot at 1/30 or faster.

peterm1
01-28-2007, 20:13
I said f5.6 as its a good "default" setting for street work ( ie its stopped down a couple of stops for better quality and depth of field but not so much as to unduly compromise shutter speed etc)

However in reality it depends on lighting, my need for shutter speed and my need for depth of field. Of course if its a portrait I will opt for a wider aperture in most cases so the image "pops." If its a landscape I will go for a smaller aperture (at least f8) to get the depth of field. But for general streetwork speed is needed and where a good compromise between DOF and shutter speed is also needed in situations where its necessary to preset the camera and zone focus f5.6 works in maybe 70% of cases.

Turtle
01-28-2007, 21:10
My fav f-stop is the one that allows for the most appropiate depth of field, and still allows for a proper shutter speed.
:rolleyes:

I am with you on this one, geeeezzzz.......

pvdhaar
02-11-2007, 21:38
For me, it's f2.8 to isolate the subject or f8.0 to get the best balance between depth of field and diffraction.. I could live with just these two stops; 'all or nothing'

sf
02-11-2007, 21:43
F/16. I find that I get the most DOF/sharpness this way.

BUT, with the 100mm zenzanon, wide open is the only way to go.

BUT, when shooting portraits, I am either wide open, or f/5.6, or f/8, or f/11...

you know...it really depends.

I voted for all of them.

fgianni
02-12-2007, 01:43
Wide open is more fun, even if, with the 75 lux and the R-D1, f1.4 usually means only 1/3 of the shots with correct focus.

Finglas
02-12-2007, 17:26
I seem to use f5.6 a lot, when I can't its f2.8
I find f8 too restrictive (too much margin for
error on focusing as my eyesight is not as good
these days) and while I'd like to try more at f11
or f16 - the natural light or my film speed just
doesn't allow - with handheld shots.
Funny after saying all that, I voted for f4 - as some
of my best shots are acheived with f4 - though its
seldom used but gives me great latitude as I find I
really have to think harder when using f4.
But a good poll and interesting results so far.

rbsinto
03-02-2007, 11:35
My fgvorite aperture is the one I select for my next photograph, because it's the one I feel will give me the depth of field best suited to the composition and the story I'm trying to tell.
For me, an "off the rack one size fits all" favorite aperture is a meaningless concept.

Xmas
03-02-2007, 11:53
/6.3 at 1/100 or 125... Wish there was more light...

Noel

richard_l
03-03-2007, 00:19
What f-stop to use depends on several variables. If the light is cooperative, I like f/8 with a 35-50mm focal length to get a suitable DOF for landscapes. For other situations, whatever works is okay.

Richard

PetarDima
03-09-2007, 15:21
f4, but I hope that I'll try with 1.8 - 1.4 low light combo one day ... can someone post a photo with f:1.o - Am I right? - there are some people on RFF with Leica 5omm monster f:1 lenses ...

Leicabug
03-09-2007, 15:47
Most photos I take are people, so between f5.6 and f1.

Socke
03-09-2007, 16:33
Depends on the focal length, small enough for decent DoF and big enough for fast shutter speed.

aizan
03-11-2007, 22:56
i don't really get why someone would even ask this question...what's the idea?

Gabriel M.A.
03-16-2007, 13:22
chicken.......or lasagna
I think you got yourself a new poll! Just don't ask whether to have it "done" or not. There's already a poll for that :angel:

wlewisiii
03-16-2007, 23:19
No line for 1.8? ... no, seriously. Look at a number of Canon lenses...

Willaim

PHOTOEIL
03-16-2007, 23:29
Full open at ambiant light on 400 ASA.

narsuitus
03-18-2007, 12:37
I could not vote because I don’t have a favorite f/stop. The f/stop I use depends on…

1. the focal length I am using (wide-angle vs. normal vs. telephoto)
2. the f/stops available (lens with f/1.4 to f/16 vs. lens with f/11 only)
3. the subject matter (portrait vs. landscape)
4. what I am trying to accomplish (shallow vs. great depth of field)
5. the amount of light available (wide open or stopped down)
6. how sharp an image I need (select the sharpest f/stop for the lens)

Joe Mondello
05-04-2007, 17:42
To paraphrase Will Rogers, I never met an f-stop I didn't like!

which of course means I voted for ALL of them!!! :eek:

NickTrop
05-10-2007, 16:33
How can you have a favorite f-stop?

oftheherd
05-10-2007, 16:46
Without looking at the whole thread, I am with those who don't have a favorite other than the one that gives me the particular shot I want at the time of the photo. I might prefer more open or closed, but have to choose that which gives me a photo. Sometimes I do have choices and may want more depth of field or less and choose the f/stop to do that. Funny, I just figured everyone did that.

pvdhaar
06-08-2007, 00:46
How can you have a favorite f-stop?
Same way you can have a lucky number..

Paul T.
06-08-2007, 02:18
I read once that Jane Bown says her technique is to select f/5.6, chat with her subjects, and point her OM-1 at them. It works pretty well for her.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/page/0,11821,1009693,00.html

gavinlg
06-08-2007, 02:22
I like f2 - enough room for slight focussing error in standard lenses, nice smooth bokeh, most fast lenses @ around f2 are showing good contrast/color/sharpness.

At higher fstops, I like 5.6 in standard lenses - gives enough of the image to be in focus with a tiny little bit just blending OOF

blakley
06-08-2007, 03:45
f/1.4 is where I almost always am unless I can get faster (I have f/1.2 when I choose to use that lens....) and I don't think it's a stupid question. I use neutral-density filters to allow me to open all the way up when there's too much light, because I like having as little depth of field as possible, especially for portraits.

nobbylon
06-08-2007, 03:52
must admit to going for f2, if I had faster lenses then i would go faster! I do like the 3d effect this gives me. just the way I like my pictures to look I suppose.

potomo
06-23-2007, 03:08
I love f5.6 outdoor: with this aperture is possible to obtain decent results with every lens (At least I hope) :-)

Joop van Heijgen
06-23-2007, 14:29
And to add a bit of thought, one of the main reasons I use a rangefinder [Leica] is because of the quality/look of the fast lenses ( why buy a fast lens if you are not going to use that speed? ) in combination with the holdability of the camera.

Exactly the main reason to buy a Leica and Leica lenses: photograph at full aperture!

For example: I use the macro-elmarit 2.8/60 on the Leicaflex SL 2 mostly at 2.8. Because then you can use the short shutter speed. The maximum contrast of this lens is already at full aperture! In this way making photos gives you a special result in depth of field, witch makes the Leica lenses famous!

NikonsRMe
06-23-2007, 15:57
I have favorite f-stops, because I shoot exclusivlty landscapes. I want as much depth of focus as possible. Usually about one stop off of the smallest hole available to me

michaelging
06-23-2007, 17:01
Unless I am shooting at a particular F-stop to blow away the background or for Max DOF, then I shoot a lens at its sweet spot, usually 5.6

charjohncarter
06-23-2007, 18:29
Wide open! If I can use it.

Rob-F
07-03-2007, 08:03
I try to shoot close to the optimum aperture for a given lens, unless there is a reason not to--like needing More light, or more DOF.

Bertram2
07-04-2007, 15:54
For example: I use the macro-elmarit 2.8/60 on the Leicaflex SL 2 mostly at 2.8. Because then you can use the short shutter speed. The maximum contrast of this lens is already at full aperture! In this way making photos gives you a special result in depth of field, witch makes the Leica lenses famous!

What "special results in DOF " ? A 2,8/60 lens has always the same DOF at any given f-Stop, no matter which brand ?

Bertram

Bertram2
07-04-2007, 16:03
Alright, I used to love f/11 back in my college days, because with a 28mm lens you can get lots of depth of field. I'd stop down that far whenever there was light enough for it. As I've matured I realized I don't always want everything equally sharp in a picture, and I've gravitated lower to f/4 or f/5.6 as my usual apertures.

Update Note: This poll is set up for 35mm photography, not medium or large format. I have also set it so you can pick more than one aperture, if you so desire.

How can one have a "favourite f-stop" ?????:confused: For what sort of pictures is this meant? Portraits, architecture, landscape, makro... ?
My favourite f-stop is the right one, depending on what DOF I need and how much light I have and how short the shutter time must be.

Are there really folks out who shoot everything at f2, no matter what it is?:D

bertram

back alley
07-04-2007, 16:35
bertram, you voted for f8...;)

Bertram2
07-05-2007, 01:09
bertram, you voted for f8...;)

Yes, to see the results of course I have to vote any nonsense !:D

Stunning, many voted 1,4 and 2 !? Do they shoot the same sort of photo all the time ? Otherwise those cannot be their favourite f-stop ? Somehow I don't get it what " favourite" could be in this context without any relation to the job and the environment.

bertram

Rayt
07-15-2007, 20:58
For street work I use whatever aperture that cooresponds with 1/250 until I get to max aperture then i stay there and decrease shutter speed.

TheHub
07-28-2007, 06:49
11. As Goldilocks would say, it's not too big and it's not too small. It's just right.

09-11-2007, 03:44
For me it depends on what I'm photographing. For street work I like to keep my aperture between f/8 and f/11 and then use the hyperfocal distance scale, but for my portraiture work I tend to use f/2.8 to f/4, unless I am in my studio in which case I'll use f/5.6 to f/8. So it varies.

edlake
10-29-2007, 11:00
Generally f8 if outdoors. Depends on the subject, but f8 seems to be the most common one I use.

jarski
10-29-2007, 11:46
if I can leave timing for camera, aperture is usually around 2.8-5.6.
if I'm with full manual, I improvise from Sunny 16 (and results prove this!) :D

jarski
10-29-2007, 11:51
Yes, to see the results of course I have to vote any nonsense !:D

hint: click "View Poll Results", you dont have to vote anything if you dont want.

yaadetgar
10-30-2007, 14:34
Hmmm...
It's not an easy question, because it depands on the subject, you know.
Anyway, most of the time, when I can (when it's not too dark or too sunny), I prefer using the f/stops around f/5.6 to F/11.

Yaad.

clarence
11-07-2007, 12:51
I think it's like asking which gas mark you like to use when you cook.

Perhaps we really need more polls.

My suggestions are:
Which shutter speed is your favourite?
Which ISO is your favourite?
What is your favourite distance to focus at?
Tights, stockings or hold-ups?
Would you buy a Lada if it was made in Germany?

Clarence

Kent
11-07-2007, 13:04
At the moment?
It depends...
f2.8 (low light, still easy to focus)
f5.6 (mostly best quality)
f8 for hyperfocal distance.

kevin m
01-11-2008, 11:43
Is this a joke? :confused:

gnashings
01-11-2008, 12:29
I am partial to cheesecake

kevin m
01-11-2008, 13:19
OK, then, I'll vote for "11" too.

Not the f-stop, the amp setting, like in "Spinal Tap." :D

Bertram2
01-11-2008, 14:47
No. Just plain stupidity.

Yes. But 400 voters anyway. A significant result. BTW,driving your car, what is your favourite indicator ? Left or right ? And don't tell me any small minded stuff like it would depend on......:D :bang:

RObert Budding
02-17-2008, 18:02
What a silly question. I use the f-stop that is required to achieve the results that I want. And what I want varies.

WoolenMammoth
03-01-2008, 21:50
I have been reading this board for a while now and lately have been really amazed at some of the things I have been reading, taking ALOT of energy not to reply to some things... Not that its anyone's fault or anything but I just dont think there are a lot of photographers that are participating here. Yes, many. But majority, no. Favorite f stop? Since when has there been an occurance where the photo you are trying to take didnt dictate the stop based upon what you were trying do?

Whats your favorite tool, screwdriver or hammer? I mean, I guess you can hammer nails with a screwdriver if you want but...